Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Redskins 53 Man Roster And Practice Squad (Op): Jordan Reed to Injured Reserve. J.D. Walton claimed. Lance Lewis waiverd and claimed by Dallas.

DC9

I'd love to see the team try and gameplan to get him more involved in the passing game.. (screens, etc)  every time they throw an outlet to him it's a guaranteed first down, dude just rumbles along the sideline running people over.. I love it

Agreed.  I hope that's coming.  He would be just nasty in the boot game.  Also, that seam route he ran against the Ravens was butter.

I love me some DY and I'd love to see more of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxLkmcGfotU

My concern about AlRob is that he disappeared after the Dallas game and he was not/is not used to return kicks. These are red flags ... what gives?

He is one guy I'd look for to get more love in the regular offense this season.

Yup ... He is the dog house now and if Dawson or Williams runs back a kick or two in pre-season ... no way No. 11 stays on his back.

How is he in the dog house?

And sure, if anyone runs a kick or two back we'll have to have a serious discussion.  But the dude can't be a one trick pony.  We've recently been down that road. ;)

ALROB reminds me of Anthony Armstrong ... a total "one-trick pony!" Dawson or Williams are more versatile and capable of replacing "ALROB-Banks" with a single roster spot.

ALROB reminds me of Anthony Armstrong ... a total "one-trick pony!" Dawson or Williams are more versatile and capable of replacing "ALROB-Banks" with a single roster spot.

Why not replace Dez Briscoe?  Where was he all season when he wasn't dropping wide open passes on the 20?  And he's got time in the NFL.

Why not replace Dez Briscoe?  Where was he all season when he wasn't dropping wide open passes on the 20?  And he's got time in the NFL.

If Briscoe makes the squad, I will be surprised.  I think Al Rob sticks.  Everyone gives Hankerson the "3 year" window, AL Rob should receive the same courtesy.

Are we there yet?!?! :)

Are we there yet?!?! :)

38363311.jpg

Almost!

Actually I would take Briscoe over ALROB, but both are vulnerable if Santa sticks. Assuming Santa gets cut... on 53: Skins will carry 5 receivers: the usual suspects plus Briscoe and Henderson or Stallworth (I like DH). The multi-role guy (Dawson or Williams)then makes the 53 a la Banks last year, with the loser going to PS.

Almost!

Actually I would take Briscoe over ALROB, but both are vulnerable if Santa sticks. Assuming Santa gets cut... on 53: Skins will carry 5 receivers: the usual suspects plus Briscoe and Henderson or Stallworth (I like DH). The multi-role guy (Dawson or Williams)then makes the 53 a la Banks last year, with the loser going to PS.

So you have:

Garcon, Morgan, Briscoe, Henderson, and Dawson....

EDIT: That's in the discusion for the worst WR corps in the league.

I'll take Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hankerson, Robinson and maybe a newbie (based off of what I've read that's probably going to be Lewis or Williams). 

If Moss all of a sudden gets old overnight I'll look hard at Henderson.

My concern about AlRob is that he disappeared after the Dallas game and he was not/is not used to return kicks. These are red flags ... what gives?

Aldrick Robinson didn't play that many snaps.  He was the 2nd/3rd receiver for the first two games, and then moved down to the 4th/5th receiver in game 3.  When Garcon came back in Game 10, Robinson basically just became the 5th receiver. 

Here are Robinson's snap totals per game:

65-29-15-0-10-9-3-14-32-9-9(Dallas game you mention)-4-8-3-3-3-9

So while he had two gigantic plays in back to back weeks, he still was getting almost as much playing time after the Thanksgiving Dallas game.  It's just that in his limited snaps, defenses were really respecting his ability as a deep threat.

Almost!

So you have:

Garcon, Morgan, Bricoe, Henderson, and Dawson....

Yeah, a little confusing. Hankerson obviously makes it, and I like Robinson over Henderson and Stallworth due to age, speed, potential (and probably contract). Briscoe is a big ?. Maybe he shows more after a year in the system (or thru ST play), but for the moment it's hard to put him over Robinson. I'll also be quite surprised if Moss were cut.

Here are Robinson's snap totals per game:

65-29-15-0-10-9-3-14-32-9-9(Dallas game you mention)-4-8-3-3-3-9

65 and 29 are because we slid him into Garcon's spot right after the injury.  Lot's to ask of a basically-rookie WR.

Thank you for posting.  This kids got game.  Let's let him marinade a bit and see how he tastes. ;)

Yeah, a little confusing. Hankerson obviously makes it, and I like Robinson over Henderson and Stallworth due to age, speed, potential (and probably contract). Briscoe is a big ?. Maybe he shows more after a year in the system (or thru ST play), but for the moment it's hard to put him over Robinson. I'll also be quite surprised if Moss were cut.

-ish... He's 6'2 and 210 and some change.  He looked fantastic in the preseason.  Looked like that red zone/possession guy we haven't had since 81 was here.  Only he had 2 catches for 22 yards in the regular season and my only memory of him is that he dropped a wide open pass around the red zone area... I want to say against Carolina?  Could be wrong.

In terms of contract money, Henderson and Stallworth are both here for peanuts and Robinson is a late round pick.  Probably a push in that category.

I can't see Moss getting cut this off season, assuming he is about the same as he was last year. The way that the team used him was absolutely perfect, he has a great on-field raport with Robert, and they count on him as a vocal leader.

While there were other more spectacular plays last season, I think that my favorite throw and catch was the in-stride, over the shoulder catch Moss made for a TD, I think against Phily. It was just perfection on every side.

He's not a #1, he's not a #2, but as a spot #3, he's shifty, quick, and experienced, and unless something unexpected happens, he's going to be on the team.

I think that the first 4 are set, with Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson, and Moss. I am really hoping for big things from Hank this year. He has the benefit of his first real offseason program, and 2 years of experience.

For the others, honestly, everybody is going to have their man crush, but they are all about the same. I love Robinson's speed. I don't quite get Briscoe, but he's young and pretty fast. Stallworth knows the system and is a vet. And you've got the newbies.

For my money, I think it's Robinson and Stallworth. I don't know why. But that's what my gut is telling me. And they carry 6, because they are in a numbers game elsewhere, especially if they carry 4 TEs, and maybe an extra LB while Rob Jackson is suspended.

-ish... He's 6'2 and 210 and some change.  He looked fantastic in the preseason.  Looked like that red zone/possession guy we haven't had since 81 was here.  Only he had 2 catches for 22 yards in the regular season and my only memory of him is that he dropped a wide open pass around the red zone area... I want to say against Carolina?  Could be wrong.

In terms of contract money, Henderson and Stallworth are both here for peanuts and Robinson is a late round pick.  Probably a push in that category.

It was actually a bit of a mystery how he couldn't get involved in the passing game, having had some success in Tampa, with Garcon out and Morgan hurting. Especially that game (I think Pittsburgh) where both Garcon and Davis were out, you'd think that he'd have found a way to be a factor. But he didn't.

Which doesn't bode well for him this year.

I say we carry six.  Garcon, Tana, Hank Time, Al Rob, Morgan...and Henderson.  I say Henderson, because I think he gives us another speed threat outside the numbers, where we sucked last year.  I expect us to take more shots out there in 2013.

And who is thinking that Tana isn't gonna make the team?  Really?  I spin my ball and point for the first down in your general direction. :)

I say we carry six.  Garcon, Tana, Hank Time, Al Rob, Morgan...and Henderson.  I say Henderson, because I think he gives us another speed threat outside the numbers, where we sucked last year.  I expect us to take more shots out there in 2013.

And who is thinking that Tana isn't gonna make the team?  Really?  I spin my ball and point for the first down in your general direction. :)

I love Santana.  I hope he can hang around for two more years.  I think we have a ring coming our way in the 2014-2015 season and I'd love to see him get one.

That said, I'd agree with you on Henderson to the extent that I think Kyle really likes having a veteran presence in the WR core and I think that Devery can take that roll over in 2014-2015 if Santana hangs 'em up.

If you keep 6 WR's, which TE or RB do you cut?

1 Fullback

9 OLine

3 QB

6 WR

and then we'd have room for 3 RB's and 3 TE's.

Do we cut Niles Paul or Logan Paulsen?  There's no way either the rookie Reed or Fred Davis get cut.  For RB's, Alfred Morris is a lock.  But after him, we would have to cut two of these next 4 guys.  Evan Royster, Roy Helu, rookie Chris Thompson, and/or rookie Jawan Jamison.  Royster's probably gone, but Helu is finally healthy.  Do we risk trying to hide Jamison on the Practice Squad?

I don't think we have room for Stallworth or Henderson.  Especially since our coaches seem to want to use even more 2 TE sets than before.  We should be thinking of Niles, Jordan, and Fred as WR/TE hybrids.  All 3 of them can motion and run routes away from the formation.

Solid post AZ,

This is why I have:

3 QBs

3 RBs

1 FB

5 WRs

4 TEs

9 OL

6 DL

9 LBs

5 CBs

5 S

3 on ST

But I'm a defensive guy in an offensive league :)

I just think that you keep more players in the area in which you were hurting (secondary) especially if there is uncertainty with the player due to youth or uncertainty at the position due to depth (ding ding).

And to answer your question, I think we hide Jamison on the practice squad and here's how.  He won't see the field in the pre-season.

Shanny rolled the dice on that with AlMo, and though we were blessed by it, we really don't have the room to hide him this year with a need in other areas.

Almost!

So you have:

Garcon, Morgan, Briscoe, Henderson, and Dawson....

EDIT: That's in the discusion for the worst WR corps in the league.

It's Atticus Finch. He's just making an argument... :lol:

DC, I think it's probably going to be more 25/25/3, and there is one less secondary guy, and one more WR.

Otherwise, I think you're right on.

Garcon, Morgan, Hank, Moss, X and Y. And there are about 6 players who legitimately have a shot at the last 2 spots.

I think you're bang on with the RBs. Royster is gone. Helu and rookie Chris Thompson are the most likely duo, but who knows. I don't THINK Shanny would go with Alfred + 2 rookies. But, he basically went with 2 rookies 2 years ago with both Royster and Helu. So, eh, it could happen. The question is, can any of the 4 develop into a real 3rd down back, who can pass block a little, and factor into the passing game as a receiver. Which would give that guy, whoever it is, a huge leg up on making the roster. Because that's actually only one of 2 starting spots on the offense (RT being the other) really up for grabs.

I still think we keep 6 WRs, Jamison to the practice squad, Jreed tears it up in preseason, and Niles Paul is the man without a seat when the music stops.  I agree with DC9 in that we hopefully keep more guys on defense.  I too, am a defensive man living in an offensive man's world. :)

It will certainly be interesting to see what we do.  I'm just stoked to have the competition at those spots.  No matter what happens, I trust Shanny to make good decisions.  Until then, I'll just type my opinions back and forth with the rest of you ES freaks. :) 

I don't THINK Shanny would go with Alfred + 2 rookies. But, he basically went with 2 rookies 2 years ago with both Royster and Helu. So, eh, it could happen.

Agreed.  I think we will try and shop Royster for another contributor during the pre-season... no one major, but something similar to the Gaffney trade call it a hunch because I have nothing to back that up, lol. 

Jamison was on pace to be an early round pick in 2014 if he stayed at Rutgers and has all of the potential in the world, but I think we hide him unless Helu isn't 100%. 

So the real wild card is how Helu plays and if he's healthy.  If he's healthy I have AlMo, Lu, and Thompson.

The question is, can any of the 4 develop into a real 3rd down back, who can pass block a little, and factor into the passing game as a receiver. Which would give that guy, whoever it is, a huge leg up on making the roster.

I think the days of the complete back are coming to an end, especially in a QB/pass driven league.  The best that we can hope for (in my opinion) is that Bobby T can coach these guys up to do well enough in their areas of weakness and make those weaknesses servicable, all the while showcasing what they do well.  Few are better at that than Coach Turner.

But all of them will get some time improving their blocking on the practice field.

I could be wrong on that though.

Solid post AZ,

This is why I have:

3 QBs

3 RBs

5 WRs

4 TEs

9 OL

6 DL

9 LBs

5/6 CBs

5/6 S

3 on ST

No Darrel Young (or are you also cutting Helu)?

That would be the second time in this thread I cut DY on accident.  Damn myself.

EDIT:  Thank you.  I've edited the post you quoted

EDIT2:  And if I had my druthers... I'd only keep 3TEs and if a 4th was needed it would be DY.  As of this moment only Fred Davis is better than he is in the open field and that's up for debate.

There... I said it. :)

I whipped up a little chart to show how many offensive snaps went to which WR in what game.  Starting with the 2nd Giants game, neither the 6th nor the 7th WR ever saw the field.  The 5th WR played sparingly, and it appears our rotation was only really 4 WR's deep for the push to the playoffs.

With Fred Davis healthy and Jordan Reed here, I think we can expect our overall WR snaps to drop a little.  Brandon Bank's role will likely be given to either Roy Helu or Chris Thompson.  I'm still not quite sure what the benefit of a 6th WR would be.

JwzBN3C.png

I whipped up a little chart to show how many offensive snaps went to which WR in what game.  Starting with the 2nd Giants game, neither the 6th nor the 7th WR ever saw the field.  The 5th WR played sparingly, and it appears our rotation was only really 4 WR's deep for the push to the playoffs.

With Fred Davis healthy and Jordan Reed here, I think we can expect our overall WR snaps to drop a little.  Brandon Bank's role will likely be given to either Roy Helu or Chris Thompson.  I'm still not quite sure what the benefit of a 6th WR would be.

You get a super cool bonus point for using a graph.  

There are so many interesting things on the graph, but you can definitely see the effect of Garcon's injury on the snaps of Robinson, Hank and Morgan, and to some extent, Moss. 

Something tickling the back of my neck tells me that stallworth is going to make this team. I think that they really, really want Garcon, Hank and Morgan to be the guys, with Moss chipping in for 20-30 plays per game.  But, with Garcon's heatlth concerns, Morgan going through off-season surgery ... having a proven vet that can step in just in case might be high on the list for the coaches.

I still think they carry 6, with Stallworth and somebody (Robinson maybe, if he learns to run something more than a go route, or one of the youngsters to groom) who makes the team.  Just my gut. And it's been wrong before.  And yes, the selection of Stallworth as the 5th or 6th WR will cause complete chaos for about 2 days on ES. 

AZ with the pimp graph!  Seriously, you make a very valid argument and I understand every ounce of it.

But, I think what your graph fails to recognize, is the difference in talent between a guy like Brandon Banks/Briscoe, and a WR like a Devery Henderson.  I would think that a guy like Henderson would see some targets all season long, and that is why I still have my WR prediction at 6. :)

Also, with the health questions of Garcon/Morgan/Moss...I think we will go with six.  Either way, there are gonna be some tough decisions to be made.

I don't THINK Shanny would go with Alfred + 2 rookies. But, he basically went with 2 rookies 2 years ago with both Royster and Helu. So, eh, it could happen.

Agreed.  I think we will try and shop Royster for another contributor during the pre-season... no one major, but something similar to the Gaffney trade call it a hunch because I have nothing to back that up, lol. 

Jamison was on pace to be an early round pick in 2014 if he stayed at Rutgers and has all of the potential in the world, but I think we hide him unless Helu isn't 100%. 

So the real wild card is how Helu plays and if he's healthy.  If he's healthy I have AlMo, Lu, and Thompson.

I don't know how much value, if any, there would be for Royster.  He's somewhat solid, but not that shifty, and not that fast.  He's a real "eh" kind of RB, that a lot of teams already have.

I'm not saying they won't try and swap him for another "eh" type of contributor.  I would love that.  But it's very much an "eh" (And no, I've never been that big of a Royster fan.

The key, as you said, is Helu's health. BUT, you also have to factor in that he could break literally in half after a touch by a 10 year old girl. So, if you're going to go with Helu and anybody, there better be an able body on the PS who can step in if/when he gets hurt. Then you hope he doesn't.  

I love the Jamison pick.  I actually am kindof rooting for both rookies to make it.  I don't think any other coach but Shanahan would do that.  But he's the coach here, so that's all that matters.

The question is, can any of the 4 develop into a real 3rd down back, who can pass block a little, and factor into the passing game as a receiver. Which would give that guy, whoever it is, a huge leg up on making the roster.

I think the days of the complete back are coming to an end, especially in a QB/pass driven league.  The best that we can hope for (in my opinion) is that Bobby T can coach these guys up to do well enough in their areas of weakness and make those weaknesses servicable, all the while showcasing what they do well.  Few are better at that than Coach Turner.

But all of them will get some time improving their blocking on the practice field.

I could be wrong on that though.

I agree that the days of the complete back are mostly gone. However, 3rd down specialists are pretty common. And we didn't have one last year.  The key to a good 3rd down back is (in my opinion), that they are able to read a defense, and "execute the right thing." Whether it be going out to catch a hot route, pick up a blitz, whatever.  But if they stay in to block, they have to be able to pick up a blitzer, and if they go out on a route, they have to be able to be a weapon.

I have a ton of faith in Coach Turner.  But, I think having the right mix of players is important.  And I think (hope?) with the 2 new rooks, and a healthy Helu, one of them can become that specialist.

Archived