Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Redskins 53 Man Roster And Practice Squad (Op): Jordan Reed to Injured Reserve. J.D. Walton claimed. Lance Lewis waiverd and claimed by Dallas.

DC9

I agree DC...I think Minnifield goes to PS unless he proves to be all world at camp. I'll certainly be rooting for the kid, he's been through a lot.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Niles Paul might have a hard time making this team?

Certainly possible. I have him pencilled in for now, but if he struggles at the TE position then his value on teams may not be enough. Me personally, I think the additional time at the te position, his ST play, and his ability to act as an emergency WR means he sticks.

I see them keeping 25 on offense. I doubt they keep a 10th o-lineman, 5th back, or 4th QB over Paul, so that leaves a 6th WR (or another TE). Not sure we see Henderson, Stallworth, Skye Dawson etc beat out a ST demon like Paul.

They could keep a 6th WR until R. Jackson or Carriker come back, though I think it's more likely 2 defenders fill those spots.

EJ can play in the NFL, that much we know.

Plus we just signed him, can't see him not making the team/getting cut.

that's old Redskins thinking.  Being new doesn't make you a lock anymore.  

EJ can play in the NFL, that much we know.

Plus we just signed him, can't see him not making the team/getting cut.

that's old Redskins thinking. Being new doesn't make you a lock anymore.

Rrrrriiiight. Was the only reason I said that EJ stays is b/c he's new?

But even IF that was the sole reason; simple logic tells us that teams sign FA b/c they think they can play. (especially cap tight teams)

And a team is gonna give the guy they just signed a chance. Which alone makes them a near certainty to make the team in their first year.

And obviously I'm not talking about street FAs like Stallworth/Henderson

Also, am I the only one who thinks Niles Paul might have a hard time making this team?

I think it'd be a long shot but not out of the realm.  He's a beast on special teams and we don't know what Jordan Reed is all about yet.

I'd love to see Eric Kettani give him a run for his money though.  The kid can play multiple positions and doesn't have a confidence problem.

If 5 CB

Hall, Wilson, Biggers, Amerson, Crawford

Mini on the PS

Seems very likely (barring major injury). Even if they found a new punt returner, Crawford can't go on the PS while Minnifield can. The only other possibility I see is that they keep 6 corners. Not likely, though I suppose Hall can also serve as a 5th safety, and didn't they keep 5 safeties last year?

I really like the 'idea' of Minnifield, but I wanna see him play before I expect too much. Hopefully he shows enough for the PS, maybe gets called up and next year gets his shot with Hall, Wilson and Biggers all free agents.

A lot of the roster is set (almost all the starters anyway), but the Jackson's (and Carriker's) returns really muddies the water when looking at the depth chart.

ROSTER BATTLE FOR "Z" WR

("X" WR is also in the OP for reference)

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/depth-chart-preview-z-wide-receiver

On the roster: Josh Morgan, Aldrick Robinson, Leonard Hankerson, Donte Stallworth, Lance Lewis, Chip Reeves

Likely to make the 53: Morgan, Hankerson, Robinson

Comment: This is very much a “show me” group of players as all three of them have something to prove.

—Morgan was reasonably productive last year with 48 receptions for 510 yards and two touchdowns. However more is expected of a player who signed a two-year, $11.5 million free agent deal in 2012. That contract is up after this season and Morgan needs to get into the end zone more often and average more per catch (10.6 yards) if he is going to be back or at least return earning a paycheck similar to his current one. His surgery to repair lingering issues from his 2011 ankle injury should help.

—Hankerson needs to develop some consistency in his third season. In seven games last year he had either no receptions or just one. He can be a prime third-down and red-zone target if he can even out the bumps in his game.

—Robinson has to show that he is more than a deep threat. After he caught two long bombs for touchdowns against the Eagles and Cowboys in November he virtually disappeared from the offense. He’s fast so he’ll get another chance but at some point Robinson will have to develop into more of a well-rounded receiver. We have seen flashes of it so, as with Hankerson, he needs to become more consistent.

Battling for a job: Stallworth, Lewis, Reeves

Just based off of what I've read, a lot of people really like Lance Lewis.  Much of that is based on a game where he played very well against S. Gilmore (drafted by Buffalo in the 1st round in 2012) when East Carolina played against South Carolina a couple of years back.  I don't see a whole lot of movement from last year, but if I had to pick one it would be Lewis based purely off of what I've read.

Rich brings up some good points (again, stuff that none of us haven't heard before, but it's summed up well).

1)  Morgan needs to produce.  He should be better coming off of a having his pins removed.  He was fairly reliable with his hands last year, but he and Peter Waiter were both brought in to be YAC guys.  So he needs to be a YAC guy.

2) I'm a Hank-time fan and if he can prove to be a reliable possession guy/occasional big play guy I'll be happy, but he really needs to work on getting Rob's trust in the red zone so that Rob looks at him.  I know he was open down there a couple of times last year and didn't get a throw.  He just needs to push past his mental block and allow himself to be a baller.  I'm a big 85 fan this year.

3) Robinson is just too fast.  He's a bit of a one-trick pony, but what a trick.  If anyone has a shot at getting beat out it's AlRob.  I don't see it though.  I'd love to see him used as a James Jones type.  Let him run routes over the middle of the field where he's hit in stride and allow him to use his tools (speed and open field moves) to create.... YAC.  He showed us flashes in the Bears pre-season game against reserves, but I didn't see that as part of the route tree very much if at all during the season (saw it a few times vs Tampa but that was about it).

There is some good competition here.  But I think if there is a unit on this team where we as fans may overrate our camp/pre-season depth chart, it's WR.  Most other areas the hype is pretty real.

Using the due theory, it's been a while since we've had an UDFA start reliably as WR, though.  We'll see.

RE: Cofield

Imo the good 34 fronts have a DE that is disruptive, that can get upfield and penetrate and push the pocket. (JJ Watt, Ngata (when in shape/uninjured, Justin Smith etc)

I think Cofield is a good NT but I think he's more valueable to this defense as DE provided Baker and Co. can hold their water at NT.

VOR-

Warren Sapp has said that playing 43 3-tech (like Barry did with the G-men) is virtually the same position as a 34 DE

Cofield has spent 2 years getting used to the NT position, and while it may be nice to see him lined up on the outside every now and again, he's far and away the best pass rushing NT on this team. Don't forget Bowen and Jenkins will be there next to Rak or Kerrigan, this team could mount a pretty ferocious pass rush if they could get all those guys on the field at once.. Rak, Kerrigan, Cofield, Bowen, J Jenks, B Jenks, Rjax, and of course fletch coming up the middle.... makes me salivate just thinking of the possibilities!!

If Crawford and Minnifield both show in the preseason, then I think we see us keep them both.

Right now, let's look at the obvious on Defense in terms of numbers

DL: You're keeping 6. Your starting 3 (Bowen, Coefield, Carricker) and 3 backups. Jenkins is getting one of those backup spots. The other two is deciding if you keep one NT and one other DE, or if you keep two NT and have Coefields versatility as your extra DE backup.

LB: You're keeping at least 8. Your starting four (Fletcher, Riley, Orakpo, Kerrigan) and 4 backups. Backups look like Jackson and Robinson are definites, with Jenkin's and Kehl likely the other two.

CB: You're keeping at least 5. Your starting two and nickel (Hall, Wilson, Biggers) and 2 backups. Amerson, being a 2nd rounder, is a definite backup. You're probably looking at Chase or Crawford for that 5th spot.

S: You're keeping at least 4. Your starting two and two backups. Right now Merriweather, Rambo, Thomas are clearly getting their spots. Then it comes down to the 4th out of a hodge podge of Doughty, Gomes, Pugh, Bernstine, and a returning Jackson.

Add that up and you're looking at 23. So you have 2 spots at realistic best (if you're going 25 split even) and 1 spot at worst (If you go 26 on offense). That's a spot to basically stash a guy and have him contribute on special teams, as they probably won't see a ton of playing time.

If there's TWO spots open, then I think one goes to LB and one goes to CB. If there's ONE spot open, and Chase and Crawford both perform in the preseason, then I think it goes CB. Here's the reason for that...

With Linebacker, we have three starters that are set to be potential starters for years to come. Orakpo, Riley, and Kerrigan are all young guys. We also have a young backup whose the "starter in waiting" it seems in terms of Robinson. While we need to look to the future to an extent in terms of backup potential, we're not really in any place to worry about needing new starters in the next 3 years.

On the flip side when you look at Cornerback, both D-Hall and Wilson are likely on the way out at the end of this year if not the following year. We need to figure out whose going to be our new #1 and #2 cornerback. Amerson is clearly expected to be in that mix, but you still have one more spot beside him. Biggers is in the mix for that, but if Biggers turns into the #2 then you need a new nickle guy.

To me, if you see talent in both Chase AND Crawford then you find a way to keep them both because in a year or two they may suddenly be far higher on your depth chart. I can't say the same about a random Linebacker or even a random Safety.

ZRag dropping some knowledge. :)

I agree with everything you said.  Speaking of Bernstine...is he gonna be ready for camp?  I felt awful for him last year, and I hope he gets a shot.

And about Lance Lewis...I saw the kid play a lot of games.  He has good hands, but he's not a terribly gifted athlete.  Devin Harris was a much better receiver than he was at ECU, and Devin has had a long road to see the field.  In short, I don't think Lewis unseats anyone on our roster.  I'm pulling for the kid though...eastern NC represent. :)

Thanks Alvin.

Since the defensive figuring was fun, let's look at offense as it may clarify things...

QB: You're keeping at least 2. RG3 and Cousins. I think a 3rd is LIKELY with Grossman, but not a guarantee if RG3 is healthy given Shanahan's history with just keeping 2 QB's

FB: You're keeping 1. Darrel Young is your starter, and you're probably not taking a backup.

RB: You're keeping 3. A starter, a "3rd down" change of pace, and a backup. Morris is a given. The next two will probably come out of Helu, Royster, Jamison, and Thompson

WR: You're keeping at least 5. Your two outside starters, two backups, and a slot guy. Right now I'd be shocked if that doesn't equate to Garcon, Morgan, Moss, Hankerson, and Robinson

TE: I think we keep 4. Fred and Reed are going to be our passing threats, Paulsen as a blocker, and I think Paul is too loved for his special teams to be left out of the "last 5" of the Roster cut.

Interior OL: You're keeping at least 5. You're starting Guards and Center, and then two interior backups. So we have Chester, Lichtenstieger, and Montgomery as the likely starters. LeRiebus is a definite backup and covers both G and Center. Gettis is porbably on track for the other

Outside OL: You're keeping at least 3. You're starting Tackles and a swing backup. Trent is the only definite here as a starter. The three vets and Compton are probably competing for the others.

So that gives you 23 on Offense that you are absolutely taking in. This gives you at worst (assuming an even split) 2 extra spots to play with and at best 3 spots (assuming 26 on offense)

To me that's where you're getting into "what's valuable" and "who do we want to protect" territory. Do we take on Grossman as a 3rd QB, or even perhaps a long shot with Pat White? Do we try to keep a young Dezmon Briscoe as a 6th WR? Do we keep Hurt as a 9th OL that can play interior and outside? Do we like Kettani enough to actually carry a backup fullback?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ultimately, by my estimation, we have 23 definite "spots" on Offense and 23 defniite "spots" on Defense. Meaning we have 4 roster spots to fill between Defense and Offense. These are your "last five on the roster" type guys. People who likely are playing special teams, are being stashed for the future, or are emergency type of players.

Right now the guys realistically fighting for these 4 spots to me would be:

QB: Rex Grossman, Pat White

FB: Eric Kettani

RB: Helu, Jamison, Thompson, Royster (two make the roster before this)

WR: Dez Briscoe, Stallworth

OL: Mo Hurt, Xavier Nixon

DL: Baker or Nield if we carry two backup DE's instead of two NT's (with Worthington's injury, I don't think that's likely)

LB: Darryl Tapp, Vic So'oto, Rodderick Muckleroy

CB: Chase Minnifield or Richard Crawford (one makes the regular roster before this)

S: Doughty, Gomes, Jackson, Pugh, Bernstine (One makes the regular before this)

So in my estimation, that's roughly 17 likely people vying for 4 spots on the team.

OL: Mo Hurt, Xavier Nixon

Willing to bet a valuable body part that Mo Hurt makes the team and it's not even up for discussion.  Replace Hurt with Gettis and I think you're about right.

LB: Darryl Tapp, Vic So'oto, Rodderick Muckleroy

I think Tapp or So'oto will get in for at least the first four weeks due to the suspension of RJax, maybe we keep both and let them fight on the field (that's what I actually see happening).

CB: Chase Minnifield or Richard Crawford (one makes the regular roster before this)

You made a compelling argument for both a couple of posts back, but we'll see what happens.  I still think it's only one unless Minnifield balls out and forces us to keep him.  I'm rooting hard for both though.  It'd be nice to have at least three CBs on the roster going into the next offseason :)

EDIT:  And I'm all about linebackers getting groomed on teams, but we aren't doing that enough with the young DBs.  We'll have to keep a close eye on how our new STC plays kickoff coverage and punt coverage.  Minnifield needs to shine as a gunner as well as a DB if he wants a spot in my opinion.

Strong post, brother.

And about Lance Lewis...I saw the kid play a lot of games.  He has good hands, but he's not a terribly gifted athlete.  Devin Harris was a much better receiver than he was at ECU, and Devin has had a long road to see the field.  In short, I don't think Lewis unseats anyone on our roster.  I'm pulling for the kid though...eastern NC represent. :)

I think every year we as a fanbase here in Redskins Nation habitually over rate our WR core... especially the undrafted kids.

I love our WR for how the block and get open, we still need a gamebreaker to put us over the edge and get to the SB in my opinion, but I doubt seriously that guy is on the list of UDFA, lol.

DC9:

I agree with you about Hurt. I personally like him more than Gettis because of the versatility, but for some reason my memory kept saying that Gettis was a well liked prospect by the front office. I may be spacing on that one.

A good point about Jackson. Suspension doesn't mean he doesn't take up a roster spot, ala someone on PUP right? So that would mean at least one of those guys fills one of the 4 spots right out of camp?

I think it's an uphill battle for Chase, but I think we aren't the only ones rooting for him. to make it up that hill. Based on comments last season and this season, I think the front office likes Chase's potential and what he's shown on field. Looking really good in preseason will help a ton, but if he looks pretty good but perhaps a little rusty/slow that it may still be enough due to what he's shown before and the potential once he's had significant football time under his belt again. I do agree, he's going to need to show up on Special Teams as well to make his battle a bit easier.

LB used to be the go to place for special teamers, and it'll still be part of it I think which is why I see Kehl making it. But I think you can get special team help from DB's as well, and we're at a point where I think if some DB's show on special teams it's worth more to keep them than a LB.

I also agree to an extent with your next post regarding our WR's corps. That said, I don't think any of the UDFA or FA's we picked up are better than our top 5. Briscoe's the only one I could see us keeping, simply due to upside with his youth/size/past production. I think this is the make or break year with Robinson and Hankerson and if neither truly pan out into a sterling #2 at least then we're definitely going WR high in the draft next year.

DC9:

I agree with you about Hurt. I personally like him more than Gettis because of the versatility, but for some reason my memory kept saying that Gettis was a well liked prospect by the front office. I may be spacing on that one.

According to Rich Tandler he's in the dog house (article in the OP).  Ironic because LeRibeus is in the dog house too.  Ribs is for weight, Gettis is more because he's just not adapting to what we need him to do... so I guess the better way to say it is he is still a project.

I know we are high on Gettis and he does have potential, but I think we can put him on the practice squad because he didn't see the field last year and I don't think he was on the active roster more than 8 times (if at all).  I'll check on that.

But Hurt started what, 9 games for us at LG when Lichtensteiger went down in 2011 and he got better every week.  By week 16 and 17 he was starter quality.  And then you can put him at RT in a pinch like we did in the Eagles game?  Way too veratile to cut a guy who can play 3 out of the 5 positions loose.

A good point about Jackson. Suspension doesn't mean he doesn't take up a roster spot, ala someone on PUP right? So that would mean at least one of those guys fills one of the 4 spots right out of camp?

Correct, Jackson can participate in all Offseason activities (and pre-season games), but as soon as week 1 rolls around he is suspended and doesn't count against the roster.

I think it's an uphill battle for Chase, but I think we aren't the only ones rooting for him. to make it up that hill. Based on comments last season and this season, I think the front office likes Chase's potential and what he's shown on field. Looking really good in preseason will help a ton, but if he looks pretty good but perhaps a little rusty/slow that it may still be enough due to what he's shown before and the potential once he's had significant football time under his belt again. I do agree, he's going to need to show up on Special Teams as well to make his battle a bit easier.

You can tell Haz likes him because he uses specifics when complementing him.  "He has good hands",  "He uses the sideline well", etc.  There's nothing that would pump me up more than to see him lay someone out who didn't take a fair catch.  If he does that and doesn't get burnt, maybe picks off EJ Manuel or whoever the Titans backup is these days once or twice I think he's in good shape. :)

LB used to be the go to place for special teamers, and it'll still be part of it I think which is why I see Kehl making it. But I think you can get special team help from DB's as well, and we're at a point where I think if some DB's show on special teams it's worth more to keep them than a LB.

3-4 defenses are supposed to improve your Special Teams coverage because you have more LBs to put out there.  A 4-3 team MIGHT keep 6, a 3-4 team usually keeps 7-9.  That's more speed than a DE or a DT would give you.  And I love DHall and while he didn't do bad out there on kickoff coverage, that spot is tailor made for dudes like Biggers, Crawford and Minnifield. 

We know going into camp that Niles Paul has one gunner spot locked up, the quickest way to the heart of the fanbase is to knock the **** out of a returner... if Chase can do that, people will be more like, "Well Minnifield can sloberknock a guy AND play DB.  Paul can just knock dudes around on teams and then complain about how small his hands are."

We'll see, man.  There's going to be some good fights.

I also agree to an extent with your next post regarding our WR's corps. That said, I don't think any of the UDFA or FA's we picked up are better than our top 5. Briscoe's the only one I could see us keeping, simply due to upside with his youth/size/past production. I think this is the make or break year with Robinson and Hankerson and if neither truly pan out into a sterling #2 at least then we're definitely going WR high in the draft next year.

Yep.  Totally agree.  We may either way.  True #1 cornerback (it may be Amerson, we'll see... we may get that out of Hall this year as well since he knows he needs to play well to eat) and a true #1 WR (or atleast another Garcon type to play opposite) are all we need to make a legit run at a ring in my opinion.  We're close.

Cap space is going to be nice with all of these 1 year deals at defensive back around the league.

I think every year we as a fanbase here in Redskins Nation habitually over rate our WR core... especially the undrafted kids.

I love our WR for how the block and get open, we still need a gamebreaker to put us over the edge and get to the SB in my opinion, but I doubt seriously that guy is on the list of UDFA, lol.

But Marko Mitchell really was good! If he had only had Colt throwing the ball to him, it would have been a Super Bowl! :wub:

But Marko Mitchell really was good! If he had only had Colt throwing the ball to him, it would have been a Super Bowl! :wub:

I just "youtubed" Marko Mitchell Redskins and found interviews that had longer durations than any highlights on the field, lol.

Vinny just couldn't draft WRs.

Here is some tape on Chase from a few years back.

My take here:

- He plays well inside in COLLEGE but is very good outside with little to no safety help on a lot of the routes he covered. 

- He wasn't the best when a play broke down (as most defensive backs aren't)

- the one play against Miami where he got a negative play for missing a tackle on the fullback sweep should've been a positive for me... he was taking on a block and still forced the play back inside where his LBs should've been to help him.

This was a good player on a bad team.  I hope he can stay healthy because he can ball.

For some reason I thought Gettis had some playing time. Hmm. Good to know about the Tandler article as well. Put me down for officially switching Mo Hurt into my "probable" category and Gettis into my "vying for the last 4 spots" position. You've got me convinecd :)

Good to know that Jackson's spot doesn't count for the first four games. Then yeah, we DEFINITELY keep one extra LB for the first four games. If they somehow actually show very well, then another of the "last 5 in" types gets cut when Jackson comes back. If they don't, then they're bounced once Jackson is back on the regular roster.

Chase blowing someone up from the gunner position definitely would be nice, though not sure honestly how he is on teams so we'll have to see. I just think the guy has a higher cieling than Crawford (though I think Crawford's probably the better of the two now) and would hate to see us let him walk with the value he'd potentially be. We'll have to see though.

I'll admit that part of the reason I'm hoping we keep Chase is that if he actually lives up to the promise he seemed to show last year and where he was projected pre-injury, then I actually think moving forward CB isn't a massive need for us. Amerson, Minnifield, Crawford, and Biggers could make a solid unit I think. I'd rather see CB be an area where we getting a guy in FA would be a luxury, not a necessity.

I agree DC...I think we are a piece or two away from being a legit contender.  RG3 could use another playmaker on the outside, and we need a guy who can lock up the secondary.  So close...:)

Like you, I have pondered the idea that Chase could actually wind up taking a roster spot away from a guy like NPaul.  I appreciate what Paul gives us on teams, I just think that guys like him are a dime a dozen.  It would be different if he had "flashed" some at TE, but I didn't think he showed much at all.  I think they moved him there originally to let him prove that he was worthy of a roster spot, and I don't think he has proven it.

In short, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Chase made the 53.  If he's healthy and shows well in the preseason, I'm not sure he would pass waivers if we tried to sign him to the PS.  And I would much rather keep Crawford and let him develop (he "flashed" some last year), than keep a guy who just plays teams.  Either way, there will be some pretty good football players that don't make the team this year, a true sign of good progress. :)

For some reason I thought Gettis had some playing time. Hmm. Good to know about the Tandler article as well. Put me down for officially switching Mo Hurt into my "probable" category and Gettis into my "vying for the last 4 spots" position. You've got me convinecd :)

Gettis actually started against the Bears last year in the pre-season.  You may be thinking of that.

Chase blowing someone up from the gunner position definitely would be nice, though not sure honestly how he is on teams so we'll have to see. I just think the guy has a higher cieling than Crawford (though I think Crawford's probably the better of the two now) and would hate to see us let him walk with the value he'd potentially be. We'll have to see though.

Agreed on the ceiling.  He just has to market himself and the best way to do that is to be solid when he plays DB and show up on teams.  He won't see a lot of the field as a corner anyways (if all goes to plan) as a 5th or 6th CB.  And he has to be able to contribute since we have situations like him vs Crawford all over the roster this pre-season (as you pointed out in your pimp post).

I'll admit that part of the reason I'm hoping we keep Chase is that if he actually lives up to the promise he seemed to show last year and where he was projected pre-injury, then I actually think moving forward CB isn't a massive need for us. Amerson, Minnifield, Crawford, and Biggers could make a solid unit I think. I'd rather see CB be an area where we getting a guy in FA would be a luxury, not a necessity.

I'm with you.  Here's hoping!

I think that starting this year your going to see a lot of "future" guys brought in here who are expected to be part of the "core" for the Robert Griffin, III era.  So vets like Stallworth (unless they serve a specific purpose like Sav Rocca) are going to be few and far between.

Garcon was going to be the next Harrison or Wayne for the Colts

Garcon was going to be the next Harrison or Wayne for the Colts

Is that what they said on their boards?

Garcon is really good, but two things:

1)  We didn't draft him/sign him as an UDFA

2)  The list of UDFA and late round WRs speaks for itself the last ten years or so, lol

Archived