Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Redskins 53 Man Roster And Practice Squad (Op): Jordan Reed to Injured Reserve. J.D. Walton claimed. Lance Lewis waiverd and claimed by Dallas.

DC9

AW. If Gettis doesn't step up and make the 53 we've got problems with him IMHO.

Hail.

For what it's worth, I think we put him on the PS this year.  We do have problems with him.  As of now, he is still considered a "project" by Chris Foerster.

It also doesn't bode well that Ribs is overweight.  Foerster seemed more than confident the clown killer will show up in shape for camp... I suspect LeReibus left a trail walking out of Foerster's office after that talk, lol.

Boots to asses for both of them in 8 days. 

Alvin, I have us keeping 9 LBs and 5 CBs... but I can see it your way.  Minnifield has to bring the noise, though.  The injury history is going to scare some guys, as is the potential for re-injury.  But that talent and pedigree is tantelizing.

Just don't see either lasting on the PS another year.

And whilst I'm not as perturbed as many over LeRibs issues this pre-season to date (when he's fully concentrated and on, he"s ON); I'd be remiss to say his attitude isn't a concern.

I think Nixon could be another tricky one going forward too as regards the PS if he shows well in the exhibition games. Too soon to have him on the 53 given the other young backups. But I can see him yo-yo'ing up and down as teams start seriously sniffing at him on the PS as the year rolls and injurys come in.

Hail.

There are ways to hide some guys, but not all of them.

Nixon is a guy that will get reps.  There is a competition at RT, it may be Polumbus' job to lose, but he isn't penciled in as the week 1 starter by any means.

He is a sticky wicket.  If he plays well, there won't be any hiding him on the PS.

Other position where I have us hiding guys (like Jamison, Burdette, Gettis) we don't NEED them at the moment so they are not likely to get reps there.

I'm not overly concerned about Ribs either, but the attitude does concern me.  If I wanted to put old man Chester on the "b-line" I'm ready to play in OTAs.  He doesn't seem to feel that way at the moment.  He needs to do better with his free time next offseason and be a little more self-motivating.  It's rare to see a coach call someone out (especially this staff) in the media the way Foerster called out Ribs.

Why does Tjax have to wait until

August to apply to be reinstated

To the NFL, he got a season long

Ban, but in this case it could

Mean he misses another year in

Which case they might as well make

It a 2 year ban, it just doesn't

Sound fair to me.

For a second I thought you were composing a poem about Jackson :)

Due the timing, it does seem unfair.

I also think its not particularly smart to give a drug user a year without the discipline of football. Seems like it would just as harsh to make them practice and travel with the team while not getting the opportunity to play. Then they also have the accountability of teammates and coaches, and less idle time.

Unlike last year, with Bernstine healthy and Thomas/Rambo in the fold, it'll be much more of an uphill battle for him.

Why does Tjax have to wait until

August to apply to be reinstated

To the NFL, he got a season long

Ban, but in this case it could

Mean he misses another year in

Which case they might as well make

It a 2 year ban, it just doesn't

Sound fair to me.

He got an "indefinite suspension" from the NFL.

He is eligible to apply for re-instatement on 31 Aug.

ROSTER BATTLES FOR FREE SAFETY

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/depth-chart-preview-free-safety

Position: Free safety

On the roster: Brandon Meriweather, Reed Doughty, Phillip Thomas, Bacarri Rambo, DeJon Gomes, Jordan Pugh, Jordan Bernstine, Devin Holland

Expected to make the cut: Meriweather, Doughty, Thomas, Rambo

Comment: If you’re working under the assumption that
a healthy Brandon Meriweather will be the Redskins’ starter at strong
safety, that means the only clear cut job opening on either side of the
ball is at free safety – the spot vacated by Madieu Williams, the only
starter not re-signed.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett hinted last month that one of the
rookie safeties – Phillip Thomas and Bacarri Rambo – could be pressed
into starting duty sooner rather than later.
And while that’s certainly
possible, it would seem a bit unlikely for Week 1 given the complexities
of the Redskins’ scheme and the offenses they’ll face. Both showed
flashes during OTAs and minicamp and project as eventual starters. But
that’s a lot to digest in a short amount of time, even if they played in
a similar system in college.

For that reason, I suspect it’s more likely we’ll see Meriweather and
versatile veteran Reed Doughty open the season as starters. That said,
however, I wouldn’t be shocked if each of the four safeties gets at
least one start in ’13.

However it shakes out, though, Coach Mike Shanahan is sure to get at
safety exactly what he wants at all positions – intense competition.

The X-factor in the equation is Tanard Jackson. Suspended for a year
for a third violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, Jackson,
27, remains on the Redskins’ roster under the reserve/suspended
designation
. He’s not eligible to be reinstated by the Commissioner
until Aug. 31, at the earliest, but I suppose there’s an outside (read:
very outside) chance he’ll contribute at some point this season. 

Fighting for a job: Gomes, Pugh, Bernstine, Holland

A good read (link above) but a couple of more interesting nuggets here from TAB:

Comment: If the Redskins keep five safeties on the
53-man roster as they did last year, Meriweather, Doughty, Thomas and
Rambo would appear to be locks to make the final cut.

Not sure I agree with this:

Such a scenario would leave one job available. Given Gomes’
contributions on special teams – his nine tackles were fourth most on
the team behind Lorenzo Alexander, Doughty and Niles Paul – he’s
probably got an edge.
Gomes also has more experience – eight NFL starts –
than the others.

For the Bernstine fans:

Although Bernstine earned a spot on the 53 as a rookie, he’s
attempting to return from a devastating knee injury. He would seem to be
a good candidate for the practice squad.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Nixon make the squad.  At some point, I'd love to strike gold with an UDFA.  No better time than now. :)

The reason I think Ribs will make the cut ahead of Gettis is that he can play both guard and center.  He's a better "plug in" guy than Gettis, in my opinion.  Just like Hurt is a great "plug in" guy as well.  I think they both stick.

And good to see that Bernstine will be competing.  I realize that he made the squad at a very thin position last year, but any time a rookie is on the field for opening day shows me that the staff thinks highly of him.  I just think he could be a great glue guy, like Doughty, but with more upside.

And what's the deal with PMerling?  Do we expect him to upgrade our DL or is he just a camp guy?  I certainly recognize the name...so that has to be a good start.

Here's my OPENING DAY roster, so I can stop posting... :)

Offense - (25)

OL (9) - Chester, Kory L, Monty, Silverback, Polumbus, Compton, Pashos, Ribs, Hurt
RB (3) - Al Mo, Helu, Thompson
TE (3) - Sleepy, Paulsen, JReed
WR (6) - Garcon, Tana, Hank, Morgan, Al Rob, DHenderson
FB (1) - DYoung
QB (3) - Sexy, RG3, Captain Kirk

Defense - 25

DL (6) - JJenkins, Bowen, Cofield, Baker, Nield, Gholston (PUP for ACarriker)
LB (8) - Fletch, Riley, Rak, Kerrigan, BJenkins, KRobinson, Kehl, Tapp (RJax suspension)
CB (6) - Hall, Wilson, Amerson, Biggers, Crawford, Minnifield
S (5) - Meriweather, PThomas, Rambo, Doughty, Bernstine

LS - (whoever the dude who broke his arm was last year. :))
K - Cobra Kai
P - Rocca

Yeah...I've got soft spot for Bernstine. I hope he is ready for full go in camp. Think he could be great on teams if healthy. Let's roll.

I like your list but I think the right thing to do is to cut Rex. Perhaps sign him as an assistant QB coach. I dont think there is much market for Rex. If RG3 gets injured then I am 1000% sure that Rex will be availiable to get signed. In addition, Rex will miss some practice but how much does Rex really depend on his cardivascular endurance? The dude will be ready to go day 1 when we pick him up again.

With the extra spot from cutting Rex, I would definitely keep Niles Paul.

Also I think we will keep Nile Paul over D. Henderson which will leave us with 5 WRs and 4 TEs. I think we have enough talent at the TE to compensate for a lose of a WR.

Why would you keep Paul sj man?

Just what has he shown you his first two years to suggest he's worth sticking with? He's not 'grabbed' any chance he's been given out there. And I don't use the word 'grabbed' lightly as he's shown hands made of sand. We've just added one of the premier pass catching TE's coming out this year to add to FreddyD, so we're set there. He can't block for **** so he's no use there. His time as a receiver, all be it as a rookie, left a LOT to be desired. And we're more than covered with options in the return game. 

I'm all for youth and keeping and developing our own guys. But I see absolutely nothing in Paul to suggest, bar a MASSIVE improvement this camp/ pre-season, he's worth sticking with. He's big and quick. And little else. That's a heck of a small attribute size to stick your hat on. 

Hail. 

Why would you keep Paul sj man?

Just what has he shown you his first two years to suggest he's worth sticking with? He's not 'grabbed' any chance he's been given out there. And I don't use the word 'grabbed' lightly as he's shown hands made of sand. We've just added one of the premier pass catching TE's coming out this year to add to FreddyD, so we're set there. He can't block for **** so he's no use there. His time as a receiver, all be it as a rookie, left a LOT to be desired. And we're more than covered with options in the return game.

I'm all for youth and keeping and developing our own guys. But I see absolutely nothing in Paul to suggest, bar a MASSIVE improvement this camp/ pre-season, he's worth sticking with. He's big and quick. And little else. That's a heck of a small attribute size to stick your hat on.

Hail.

Paul is still a project. To cross himself because he did not excel in TE in his first year ever playing the position seems to little premature.

Is Paul the best recieving or blocking TE on the roster? No he is not. Is Paul better than Henderon playing in the WR spot? No he is not. But is Paul the best ST player among the TEs and the WRs combined? He sure is.

Just purely based on his ST skills and passable (IMHO) skills as a TE, I have no doubt that Paul will have more contribution on the field than Rex or Henderson.

Also I have to question, how many chances did Paul have to realistically take advantage of? You seriously think that it was a realistic expectation from the coaching staff for Paul to suddenly turn into a solid TE over one offseason. I think only play that Paul was given a real chance to make a difference thus far in his career was at ST and as a blocking TE. Paul has done well in the roles that has given to him to at least keep a spot on the roster ala Doughty.

Your seeing more in him than I man. 

I fully appreciate the difference in changing position, and don't by any means expect a career wideout to pick up everything about being a TE in a year. But even taking into consideration the change in routes, his running and drops were beyond poor last year when he was out there. I'll give you his work on teams, but with the addition of the new rook (presuming he doesn't take an age to transition to the pros); I'd be loath to give up a 4th roster spot on a converted TE 'project.'

The only way I see him sticking, bar a brilliant pre-season showing, is if theres concerns over Davis' health after the surgery. 

Hail.

With the growing concerns over Carrikers health, I'd say Merlon wa as food as a lock to make the initial 53 AW. Sadly, for me anyways, doubtless so will the horrid Golston.

I'm beginning to think nothing short of an act of God will remove that guy from this team. Sighs.

Hail.

I was initally scared of this scenario myself.

In reading that Baker is taking reps at DE, I'm resting a little easier. 

I think we may keep Merlin over Golston... but at this point I'd keep just about anyone over Golston.

So based off of what I've read and without seeing any games yet, this is who I have along the line:

Jenkins

Cofield

Bowen

Baker

Neild

Merlin (<---based off of nothing I've read, just what I've seen out of the 3-4 version of Golston... aka Highway 64)

Carriker is either PUP'd or IR'd depending on what he looks like next week.  I'd expect to see him PUP'd fairly quickly though.

Paul is still a project. To cross himself because he did not excel in TE in his first year ever playing the position seems to little premature.

Is Paul the best recieving or blocking TE on the roster? No he is not. Is Paul better than Henderon playing in the WR spot? No he is not. But is Paul the best ST player among the TEs and the WRs combined? He sure is.

I think you are close SJ.  I'd also add that organizationally, we aren't garunteed to have Fred Davis next year.  So if we cut Niles this season, we end up with Reed and Paulsen on the roster at TE and that's it.  On paper, not a bad duo, we don't know what we have out of Reed yet.  And by no means should this (next years team) be the top reason you keep someone, but it should be in the top 3 to top 5.

EDIT: Having said that, there is no garuntee that he makes the team in my eyes.  And Bryan Kehl had the 2nd most tackles on teams last season... in 5 games with the Redskins.  He will ball out this year.  Everyone will be like, "Zo who?"

Your seeing more in him than I man. 

I fully appreciate the difference in changing position, and don't by any means expect a career wideout to pick up everything about being a TE in a year. But even taking into consideration the change in routes, his running and drops were beyond poor last year when he was out there. I'll give you his work on teams, but with the addition of the new rook (presuming he doesn't take an age to transition to the pros); I'd be loath to give up a 4th roster spot on a converted TE 'project.'

The only way I see him sticking, bar a brilliant pre-season showing, is if theres concerns over Davis' health after the surgery. 

Hail.

One more thing to consider is how Kyle will change his offense this year.  If he is going to start showing more of the 2 TE concepts then there is definitely a good reason to keep 4 TE / 5 WR split instead of 3 TE / 6 WR.  Granted in the 2 TE concepts, we can possible use D Young in that HB type of role but I think TEs will become more valuable in our offense as it develops.

Anyways the point I actually want to make is that I really feel like using that a spot for Rex Grossman is really waste of a spot.  I would like to use that spot to keep an extra DB, TE, or heck even Pat White over Rex.  Rex can be picked up at any time.

i agree that the Niles Paul decision would be a tough one, if for no other reason than to see how Sleepy comes back from injury.  But...I think we have enough LBs who can contribute on teams to justify that move.  If Paul gets the axe...then that would tell me two things.  One...Sleepy is good to go.  Two...JReed is gonna be a problem for other teams. :)

It makes me super happy to see that Baker is taking snaps at DE.  He's one of those guys, kinda like RJax, that just seems to make plays out there.  I would hope that is a sign that our staff is trying to figure out a way to get him on the field more.  The guy is a pocket crusher and he needs more snaps. 

And if Merling replaces Gholston...that would not hurt my feelings.  We could certainly use and upgrade there.

It makes me super happy to see that Baker is taking snaps at DE.  He's one of those guys, kinda like RJax, that just seems to make plays out there.  I would hope that is a sign that our staff is trying to figure out a way to get him on the field more.  The guy is a pocket crusher and he needs more snaps. 

Totally agree on Baker, he get's more push then anyone on the roster and it's not even close.  Hopefully his extended playing time (his first year with those types of reps) helped him improve his endurance and he's ready to contribute on a higher level now. 

We've heard for years (and we see with other teams) how moving the DL around in the 3-4 can create additional havoc... haven't seen much of that here.  I don't know if we are comfortable with continuity or if we are not comfortable with the production... hence the continuity.  In any case, I'd love to see some movement and change this year along that front 3.   

We see it all of the time out of the LBs... how about some love for the big men? 

Garcon's shoulders been passed 100% full go for camp by Dr Andrews!

Now down on your hands and knees and pray his toe holds up .....

Hail.

There seems to be so much about that.  From what I understood last season, if he can play through the pain it is not likely to get any better or worse.  I'd say based on last year, if he can play through the pain, I'll take him 8-10 times on Sunday.

Totally agree on Baker, he get's more push then anyone on the roster and it's not even close.  Hopefully his extended playing time (his first year with those types of reps) helped him improve his endurance and he's ready to contribute on a higher level now. 

You think so?

In watching the games I didn't see that much from baker, I would refrain from calling him a "pocket crusher"

I'm gonna go back and rewatch the 2nd half and pay closer attention to him, but outside of a few run stops I didn't really see much from him.

It makes me super happy to see that Baker is taking snaps at DE. He's one of those guys, kinda like RJax, that just seems to make plays out there. I would hope that is a sign that our staff is trying to figure out a way to get him on the field more. The guy is a pocket crusher and he needs more snaps.

Totally agree on Baker, he get's more push then anyone on the roster and it's not even close. Hopefully his extended playing time (his first year with those types of reps) helped him improve his endurance and he's ready to contribute on a higher level now.

You think so?

In watching the games I didn't see that much from baker, I would refrain from calling him a "pocket crusher"

I'm gonna go back and rewatch the 2nd half and pay closer attention to him, but outside of a few run stops I didn't really see much from him.

I like Baker in theory (particularly his versatility), but yeah, I'm a little surprised to see folks raving about him. Can't recall more than maybe a play that he stood out, but my eye for such is only so-so-ish.

Personally I keep Paul over Henderson.

One's at the end of his time, one's still developing. Both didn't exactly have a stellar year last year. NEITHER are going to be your #1 or even #2 option in terms of backups at various positions most likely. The special teams use of Paul I think will come into play by itself FAR more than Henderson would in the recieving game, and that's not even taking into account Paul's occasional factoring into the run blocking and even the recieving game.

I just don't see the value in going Henderson over Paul. Heck, I don't see the value in going Henderson over Dez Briscoe if you absolutely want it to be a WR.

Archived