Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Redskins 53 Man Roster And Practice Squad (Op): Jordan Reed to Injured Reserve. J.D. Walton claimed. Lance Lewis waiverd and claimed by Dallas.

DC9

Personally I keep Paul over Henderson.

One's at the end of his time, one's still developing. Both didn't exactly have a stellar year last year. NEITHER are going to be your #1 or even #2 option in terms of backups at various positions most likely. The special teams use of Paul I think will come into play by itself FAR more than Henderson would in the recieving game, and that's not even taking into account Paul's occasional factoring into the run blocking and even the recieving game.

I just don't see the value in going Henderson over Paul. Heck, I don't see the value in going Henderson over Dez Briscoe if you absolutely want it to be a WR.

Paul's hands concern the heck outta me, but it's too soon to write him off. Also, as far as backups go (or, perhaps more accurately, backups to the backups), ST play and potential are the overriding factors for me.

Qbs are a good example of how I want my team - a young-ish hotshot starting, a veteran backup, and then a young guy with potential as third string. The best scenario is when your young third stringer overtakes your veteran. It's what we did with Kirk and (sort of) what we seem to be going for with Paul and Reed.

Here's my OPENING DAY roster, so I can stop posting... :)

Offense - (25)

OL (9) - Chester, Kory L, Monty, Silverback, Polumbus, Compton, Pashos, Ribs, Hurt

RB (3) - Al Mo, Helu, Thompson

TE (3) - Sleepy, Paulsen, JReed

WR (6) - Garcon, Tana, Hank, Morgan, Al Rob, DHenderson

FB (1) - DYoung

QB (3) - Sexy, RG3, Captain Kirk

Defense - 25

DL (6) - JJenkins, Bowen, Cofield, Baker, Nield, Gholston (PUP for ACarriker)

LB (8) - Fletch, Riley, Rak, Kerrigan, BJenkins, KRobinson, Kehl, Tapp (RJax suspension)

CB (6) - Hall, Wilson, Amerson, Biggers, Crawford, Minnifield

S (5) - Meriweather, PThomas, Rambo, Doughty, Bernstine

LS - (whoever the dude who broke his arm was last year. :))

K - Cobra Kai

P - Rocca

Yeah...I've got soft spot for Bernstine.  I hope he is ready for full go in camp.  Think he could be great on teams if healthy.  Let's roll.

Niles Paul is going to make the team, unless something unbelievably weird happens.  He's ferocious on STs, and the Shans think that it takes more than a year to convert to TE.  

I also think only one of Pashos, Trueblood and Polumbus makes the team. I don't think two of them will. I think the one that is the best starts, the other two are cut, and then they carry youngsters.  Just a hunch.  

I don't think they'll carry 11 in the secondary.  Probably 10. Somehow.  I would bet you've got safety right.  CB, one of those guys is going to have a tough time making the squad.

The more and more and more I think about it, the more I think that it would make sense to release Rex and use that spot for somebody else.  The counter-point is that Rex is probably a better solution to backup QB than 10-15 teams have, so the best case of "just make him a damn coach" isn't going to work, he'd probably land up somewhere else.  And then IF you needed him because Robert wasn't ready or got hurt (and you needed a backup for Cousins), you'd be out of luck.  But I dunno.  It's a roster spot reserved for a guy who 90% chance won't play.  I do understand all the good things he did last year, and maybe I'm selling the help he gives to Robert and the Captain short.  But, damn, it would be nice to have that spot for a player who could actually be expected to contribute.  

Numbers game this year is going to be brutal.  4 TEs really uses up a spot. 

It makes me super happy to see that Baker is taking snaps at DE.  He's one of those guys, kinda like RJax, that just seems to make plays out there.  I would hope that is a sign that our staff is trying to figure out a way to get him on the field more.  The guy is a pocket crusher and he needs more snaps. 

Totally agree on Baker, he get's more push then anyone on the roster and it's not even close.  Hopefully his extended playing time (his first year with those types of reps) helped him improve his endurance and he's ready to contribute on a higher level now. 

You think so?

In watching the games I didn't see that much from baker, I would refrain from calling him a "pocket crusher"

I'm gonna go back and rewatch the 2nd half and pay closer attention to him, but outside of a few run stops I didn't really see much from him.

When you watch him... keep an eye on his blocker(s) and watch how far back into the backfield they are pushed compared to everyone else.

Obviously his issue was conditioning and endurance.  Not that he showed up out of shape, but that he hasn't played that much in the NFL.

I've said before that I look at our NTs this way:

1) Baker gets the most push and typically gets an automatic double team

2) Neild rarely gets moved off of his spot, but doesn't get a lot of push

3) Cofield is the smartest of the three and gets occasional push

We'll make a fan out of you yet ;)

I like your list but I think the right thing to do is to cut Rex. Perhaps sign him as an assistant QB coach. I dont think there is much market for Rex. If RG3 gets injured then I am 1000% sure that Rex will be availiable to get signed. In addition, Rex will miss some practice but how much does Rex really depend on his cardivascular endurance? The dude will be ready to go day 1 when we pick him up again.

With the extra spot from cutting Rex, I would definitely keep Niles Paul.

Also I think we will keep Nile Paul over D. Henderson which will leave us with 5 WRs and 4 TEs. I think we have enough talent at the TE to compensate for a lose of a WR.

I agree with the idea that cutting Rex for the spot is something to consider. But consider this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217112/article/ranking-the-nfls-backup-quarterbacks

Take a look at the backup quarterback lists.  You don't have to go too far down that list to find teams that would like to bring Rex in for a look. He definitely wants to still be a player, not a coach, at least that's what he's said. I don't have a quote, but have heard him talk about it on the radio here and there.

I think if Rex is cut, he goes to camp with somebody. And Shanahan is probably not going to take him to camp and then cut him at the end of camp.  Could happen, but I don't think they would do that to Rex.  For better or worse, I think they feel like they owe him better than that. 

And, I'm not sure about this, but I'd have to think that there are some type of rules against cutting a guy, making him a coach, and then re-signing him if you need him.  Otherwise I'm sure teams would use that as a way to keep veterans around.  There is no salary cap on coaches, so I'm sure guys like Snyder or Skeletor would just pay them the same as they would a player.  I have to think that there's something in the collective bargaining agreement that stipulates they can't do that.  But, I am just guessing on that. 

Why would you keep Paul sj man?

Just what has he shown you his first two years to suggest he's worth sticking with? He's not 'grabbed' any chance he's been given out there. And I don't use the word 'grabbed' lightly as he's shown hands made of sand. We've just added one of the premier pass catching TE's coming out this year to add to FreddyD, so we're set there. He can't block for **** so he's no use there. His time as a receiver, all be it as a rookie, left a LOT to be desired. And we're more than covered with options in the return game. 

I'm all for youth and keeping and developing our own guys. But I see absolutely nothing in Paul to suggest, bar a MASSIVE improvement this camp/ pre-season, he's worth sticking with. He's big and quick. And little else. That's a heck of a small attribute size to stick your hat on. 

Hail. 

I don't believe that I'm saying this, but I actually think that they owe him season 2 as a TE.  Take a guy who's been a WR forever, telling him you're converting him to TE, and then not giving him at least a second off season seems a bit unfair.  If they had just left him at WR, and cut him, I'd say, yeah, whatever.  

But changing positions isn't easy, and TE is such a "tweener" positions, where you have to know blocking, and route running, it's tough to pick up quickly.  You're blocking guys that are bigger than you, and running routes against LBs and Safeties that are much closer to you, and the ball is on you much faster than if you're outside.  It's a lot to pick up and play naturally without thinking  When a player thinks, they forget to do things like catch the damn ball.  

He's got the body and athleticism for it, but he hasn't gotten it yet.  It might be maddening, but I think they at least owe the guy a second shot at it.  Now, if he hasn't progressed at all, and that's evident in camp, then all bets are off.  But if he's progressing, then I think you have to stick with him.

I couldn't be completely wrong, they couldn't care less, and they drafted his replacement, and they'll figure out the ST side later, and they could just cut him. 

But something tells me they knew this was going to take a couple years when they started the project, and they're going to stick with it.  Call that a silly hunch.  I haven't seen a lot from him to prove his worth, but none of us see the practices and know what exactly they are asking him to do, and how well he's doing it. 

Strong post about Niles Paul, VOR.

His spot may not be solidified (by the way he did an excellent interview with Larry Michael on Redskins Nation yesterday) firmly, but it's going to take a hell of an effort from someone else to get him off of this team.

I tend to lean towards the offense when looking at these things.

For me the interest on offense is:

1. I think the O'Line starters are set with Trent, Lich, Monty, Chester and Polumbus. Someone could maybe take that RT spot but from all we read its very much Polumbus's job to loose. So who makes it for the backup spots and can someone push for a starting job - going to be some intense competition here. 

2. Do we keep 4 TEs and 5 WRs or 3 TEs and 6 WR's. That last spot might come down to special teams and Niles Paul get the vote on that basis.

3. Behind Alfred Morris there is a big log jam at RB for probably 2 roster spots. Thompson is probably getting one of those two spots and that leaves a lot of guys fighting for one job ....

1. Last years starters missed 1 game out of 5 starters over 16 games. Hard to imagine that repeating.

2. 4 TE's would be my guess. The Skins would love to run 2 TE /1 HB + 1 TE sets a lot but just didn't have the personnel to pull it off last year.  They might go with 2 QB's and make up the difference at WR or RB.

3. Thompson would be great if healthy and especially if he can be a return guy. He may be the best receiving RB they have right now...again if healthy.

That certainly is a strong case VoR that does make one think and somewhat want to pull for the guy to get that chance.

But then there's that nagging 'if''

IF FreddieD is 100% good to go and as quick and strong as he was before the surgery. IF Jordan picks up the scheme and the pace of pro-ball and looks right at home by the en of camp. Can you then afford to take a flyer on a project when you have three guys (Paulsen included£ you can already count on and BIG question marks elsewhere that might well lead you to carry extra numbers? Even more so if that project is still slow in developing by camps end?

I think until those 'ifs' are answered, it's not the given that many think that Niles makes the roster.

Nice case for him though man that does make one want to pull for him.

Hail. FREE FRED! MAKE THE PEOPLE HAPPY!

I just want to clarify that it's just a hunch on my part that NPaul won't make the team.  If I had to put money on it, I certainly would have him on the 53.  But picking roster spots is kinda like filling out the NCAA Hoops bracket.  I don't like to go all chalk. :)

I am hoping we have a couple of surprises on the 53.  To me, that would signal that some guys really stepped up and beat out someone who was good enough to make our squad last season.  My hopes for spots like this would be Nixon, Minnifield, and Bernstine.  Let the competition begin.

Damn...I'm so ready for some TC tweets.  Hail. 

And to reinforce what DC9 siad about Baker, I truly think he just needs to get in better condition.  I think he has the ability to be the best DL that we have, and I know that sounds like a stretch...because it probably is. :)  But that's how much I believe in the guy.  He and JJenkins just need a bit more seasoning.

I just want to clarify that it's just a hunch on my part that NPaul won't make the team.  If I had to put money on it, I certainly would have him on the 53.  But picking roster spots is kinda like filling out the NCAA Hoops bracket.  I don't like to go all chalk. :)

I am hoping we have a couple of surprises on the 53.  To me, that would signal that some guys really stepped up and beat out someone who was good enough to make our squad last season.  My hopes for spots like this would be Nixon, Minnifield, and Bernstine.  Let the competition begin.

And to reinforce what DC9 siad about Baker, I truly think he just needs to get in better condition.  I think he has the ability to be the best DL that we have, and I know that sounds like a stretch...because it probably is. :)  But that's how much I believe in the guy.  He and JJenkins just need a bit more seasoning.

Nothing wrong with the hunch, but all the reports coming out of Redskins HQ is that Shanny is going to have 4 TEs on the roster. That means Davis, Paulsen, Paul, and Reed. We can potentially run a 3 TE set then shift have them all split out - Davis, Paul, and Reed - along with either 2 WR, 2 RB, or 1 WR/1RB.

Our offense has so many weapons going into this year, Robert is licking his chops.

It makes me super happy to see that Baker is taking snaps at DE.  He's one of those guys, kinda like RJax, that just seems to make plays out there.  I would hope that is a sign that our staff is trying to figure out a way to get him on the field more.  The guy is a pocket crusher and he needs more snaps. 

Totally agree on Baker, he get's more push then anyone on the roster and it's not even close.  Hopefully his extended playing time (his first year with those types of reps) helped him improve his endurance and he's ready to contribute on a higher level now. 

You think so?

In watching the games I didn't see that much from baker, I would refrain from calling him a "pocket crusher"

I'm gonna go back and rewatch the 2nd half and pay closer attention to him, but outside of a few run stops I didn't really see much from him.

When you watch him... keep an eye on his blocker(s) and watch how far back into the backfield they are pushed compared to everyone else.

Obviously his issue was conditioning and endurance.  Not that he showed up out of shape, but that he hasn't played that much in the NFL.

I've said before that I look at our NTs this way:

1) Baker gets the most push and typically gets an automatic double team

2) Neild rarely gets moved off of his spot, but doesn't get a lot of push

3) Cofield is the smartest of the three and gets occasional push

We'll make a fan out of you yet ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to give the guy a chance, hell I hope he blows training camp up and takes the league by storm :)

I will have to re-watch the 2nd half of the season and see how he does. I was just saying I don't recall him doing anything to grab my attention, other than a play or two here and there.

I wonder if Jawan will make the team with such a crowded backfield already...Morris/Royster/Helu/Chris/Jawan..Only going to take 3 at most on the 53 and I really don't see Morris having 2 rookies as his backups. A lot of people like Helu but I think that Royster and Helu and pretty similar in terms of upside so therefor experience should win. Which means Morris/Royster/Chris? Also Jawan really rubs me the wrong way seems like someone that belongs in the Wizards locker room not the Redskins.

skinsarel33t, the RB battle goes through the health of Roy Helu.  It gets much less murky after that.  If he's healthy, he makes the team, if he's not, Jamison will probably make the team.

I don't see us carrying 4 RBs at the moment.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/7/19/4536952/hazards-huddle-pierre-garcon-vs-joe-haden

How good is the piece Hap Hazard posted in BRBN on Garcon vs Joe Haden?  Good read and good question as far as whether or not Garcon is an elite WR.

Something to think about as far as how we will use weapons and who will end up keeping; and not just who was successful in that game, but where they were lined up.  Lots of love from the TE and H-back spots in that game from Kirk booting out, even Hankerson and Morgan lined up there a time or three.

Emphasis on tightend/H-back position.

That certainly is a strong case VoR that does make one think and somewhat want to pull for the guy to get that chance.

But then there's that nagging 'if''

IF FreddieD is 100% good to go and as quick and strong as he was before the surgery. IF Jordan picks up the scheme and the pace of pro-ball and looks right at home by the en of camp. Can you then afford to take a flyer on a project when you have three guys (Paulsen included£ you can already count on and BIG question marks elsewhere that might well lead you to carry extra numbers? Even more so if that project is still slow in developing by camps end?

I think until those 'ifs' are answered, it's not the given that many think that Niles makes the roster.

Nice case for him though man that does make one want to pull for him.

Hail. FREE FRED! MAKE THE PEOPLE HAPPY!

Just curious would your opinion on this situation change if it looked like from the preseason that we will be feature alot of 2 TE looks.

If we are going to be running mainly with 1 TE looks then I would probably weaken my opinion that Niles Paul would be a shoe-in for a roster spot.

I think it would more if Davis wasn't back to full speed/ strength. If that's the case, then I could more see keeping Paul.

Buy outside of that, regardless of what sets we run, unless he showed a dramatic overall improvement in camp and the exhibition games I'd be struggling to justify his spot over other pressing areas of major concern that we may well have to go deeper in than we'd ideally like. With Reed just starting out, and all the inevitable rookie mistakes therein; we don't need to be 'mothering' another if he's not showing signs of learning and kicking-on from last year.

I've nothing against Niles. I really hope he does up his game this year as there's something a little bit more special as a fan to develop your own from day one on. Just I've seen next to nothing, outside of speed and size, to suggest he'll ever be much of anything in this league.

Here's hoping my laymans view is WAY off point.

Hail.

FREE FRED! MAKE THE PEOPLE HAPPY!

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/7/19/4536952/hazards-huddle-pierre-garcon-vs-joe-haden

How good is Hap Hazards piece on Garcon vs Joe Haden?  Good read and good question as far as whether or not Garcon is an elite WR.

>I would love to take credit for this article but it wasn't me, I have no writing skills.

Fixed.  I was going to say, with skills like that you need to post more :) ... than the nearly 55k you've already posted lol.

Great piece nonetheless. 

Nothing wrong with the hunch, but all the reports coming out of Redskins HQ is that Shanny is going to have 4 TEs on the roster. That means Davis, Paulsen, Paul, and Reed. We can potentially run a 3 TE set then shift have them all split out - Davis, Paul, and Reed - along with either 2 WR, 2 RB, or 1 WR/1RB.

Our offense has so many weapons going into this year, Robert is licking his chops.

We have to have AT LEAST two looks with all four out there and Rob and AlMo in the backfield.

If the D comes out in Nickel, we run.  If the D comes out in their base, we pass.  A la what the Pats HAD been doing with Gronk and 25 to life.

I don't believe that I'm saying this, but I actually think that they owe him season 2 as a TE.  Take a guy who's been a WR forever, telling him you're converting him to TE, and then not giving him at least a second off season seems a bit unfair.  If they had just left him at WR, and cut him, I'd say, yeah, whatever.  

But changing positions isn't easy, and TE is such a "tweener" positions, where you have to know blocking, and route running, it's tough to pick up quickly.  You're blocking guys that are bigger than you, and running routes against LBs and Safeties that are much closer to you, and the ball is on you much faster than if you're outside.  It's a lot to pick up and play naturally without thinking  When a player thinks, they forget to do things like catch the damn ball.  

He's got the body and athleticism for it, but he hasn't gotten it yet.  It might be maddening, but I think they at least owe the guy a second shot at it.  Now, if he hasn't progressed at all, and that's evident in camp, then all bets are off.  But if he's progressing, then I think you have to stick with him.

I couldn't be completely wrong, they couldn't care less, and they drafted his replacement, and they'll figure out the ST side later, and they could just cut him. 

But something tells me they knew this was going to take a couple years when they started the project, and they're going to stick with it.  Call that a silly hunch.  I haven't seen a lot from him to prove his worth, but none of us see the practices and know what exactly they are asking him to do, and how well he's doing it. 

I don't think they "owe" Niles Paul anything whatsoever.

Players get cut/released after a season or two all the time. None of those young players is "owed" a spot on a roster. They either earn it or they do not.

Now, the Skins might feel they owe it to themselves to give Paul another year...

Pierre Garcon reportedly cleared for Redskins camp

The Washington Redskins sported a 9-1 record with wide receiver Pierre Garcon in the lineup last season. The coaching staff will be happy to know that he reportedly has been cleared for full participation in training-camp practices following offseason shoulder surgery.

Garcon received a clean bill of health in a checkup with Dr. James Andrews this week, The Washington Post reported Thursday. Garcon is planning to wear special shoes this season to help with a torn foot ligament, another issue that hampered him throughout the 2012 season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000218778/article/pierre-garcon-reportedly-cleared-for-redskins-camp?campaign=Twitter_atl_Wesseling

I hope they keep 4 TE's, even if it means a reduced WR corps. Each TE we have brings a unique set of skills/abilities to the field. Davis and Reed for obvious reasons, and I really like Paulsen. He just seems very reliable-not flashy- but reliable. As far as Niles is concerned, best case scenario, he finally shows some of that Shannon Sharpe-esque potential Shanny has wanted out of him. Worst case, he doesn't show too much improvement, but he still is a force on special teams and with Lorenzo gone having a solid ST player who can hopefully anchor that unit is fine by me.

skinsarel33t, the RB battle goes through the health of Roy Helu.  It gets much less murky after that.  If he's healthy, he makes the team, if he's not, Jamison will probably make the team.

I don't see us carrying 4 RBs at the moment.

I agree in theory.  But I really think it's an open competition.  I think we all might be over-thinking this. If Jamison or Thompson just flat outplays Helu, then they'll win the spots.  Shanahan, through the years, has shown that he's unbelievably un-loyal when it comes to RB.  Except to TD. And now maybe to Alfred.  But, I think that he puts those three, plus Royster, into a hopper, decides who's the best, and goes with it.  

Conventional wisdom would say that a healthy Helu and Thompson is the most likely outcome.  But this time last year, conventional wisdom didn't have Alfred as the starter.  Shanahan will look around, see who's best, and pick them.  I actually think that it's 50-50 that Jamison makes the 53 or PS.  Because I think it's not unthinkable that either Helu gets hurt again, or JJ just outplays him in this system.  

Hell, if Shanahan thinks one of the others could be a better starter than Morris, I think he'd flip that as well. I don't think that it will happen, but back in the day, Anderson had a pretty damn solid season in Denver, well over 1k yards, and then got crowded out and moved to FB.  I can't see that happening, but I think Shanahan is pretty much shown over the years that he's just going to take and play the best guys, and let everything else resolve itself. 

I don't think they "owe" Niles Paul anything whatsoever.

Players get cut/released after a season or two all the time. None of those young players is "owed" a spot on a roster. They either earn it or they do not.

Now, the Skins might feel they owe it to themselves to give Paul another year...

The ONLY reason that I think they owe the guy at least another full training camp and probably the season is that they approached him and had him switch positions. And thus ruined his value as a WR.  And they haven't finished converting him to TE.  

So, if he's released, what does he hit the market as? A TE or a WR?  

If they hadn't messed with his position, I'd say they don't owe him anything.  But given that he was willing to try to switch positions, and there's no indication that he's slacked off and hasn't done what the coaches have asked, eh, I think it would be fair to give him another shot.

Now, that said, if he hasn't progressed at all in pre-season, still looks dazed and confused, then you have to judge whether his ST contributions are enough to keep him around.  If not, then he's gone. 

I dunno. I am a bit of a softy when it comes to things like this.  I'd hate to ask one of my employees to try something different, and then fire them because he wasn't good at it.  Seems kindof unfair.  

EDIT: And I'm not even that big of a Paul fan.  

VOR,

I see where you are coming from.  I will say that I'm not sure Niles would've made it as a WR a year ago so he was probably given the opportunity to try and play TE.  If he made it we were carrying 8.

While I don't disagree with you on the whole "give him a second year" stance you are taking, I wouldn't approach it like he was "told" to do it.  Then again I don't know for sure either.  Just Devil's Advocate and all :)

I do like Paul though, but I don't have him firmly penciled in.  As I said, he can be replaced but it's going to take a heck of an effort.

Also, just got back up from Richmond.  The new spot is sweet, but there is little to no shade anywhere and it's probably going to be a longer walk than you are used to in Ashburn.  So I recommend everyone get a camel back or something similar.  I took my three year old down there and we kind of hunted and pecked around a bit before going to the petting farm at Maymont.  Pretty stoked.

They have Redskins signs up on all of the light poles on Broad Street and everything.  Very cool.

Archived