Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Redskins 53 Man Roster And Practice Squad (Op): Jordan Reed to Injured Reserve. J.D. Walton claimed. Lance Lewis waiverd and claimed by Dallas.

DC9

I agree with Tandler.  Hopefully Rambo will be ready to roll.  I fully expect Haz to get after people this year, especially after seeing our run was predicated on the defense being more aggressive.  I expect us to have more takeaways this year...we certainly have more "gimme dat!" guys in the secondary.  Our zone coverage could be sick this season.  

I recently saw an interview (I want to say it was with Rich T) and they were talking about something that I've been beating for the last few months... and that's the fact that the battered defense full of backups last year started to play well and I mean really well.  They gave us every chance to win.  Those backups are now backups again (save for Jenkins, as it looks like Carriker is going to be a long shot).  So we now have a team, that if all goes well, has QUALITY STARTERS in key back up rolls.  Starters that were good enough to win a division and a knee injury away from at least one playoff win.

***MIND BLOWN***

But it's going to be so much fun this preseason especially.  You know Haz loves to send these kids after the QBs for the whole game.  We'll get a good look at Jenkins and Elmore and So'oto and the whole lot.

We'll also see who is ready to make a play in that secondary, because each of the last three preseasons there have been more than enough lolipops getting thrown up by these QBs.  I want to see these guys in the secondary pushing each other hard.

I don't expect to see any teasers in the preseason as far as formations go, though, and I'm okay with that.  Just some extra-vanilla "everyone up here go kill the QB and everyone back there catch the ball if he throws it."

Also, the video at the last CSN link I posted, Rich brings up another point I've been hammering this offseason, Rak has been good during his time here with the Redskins, but he's really never played on a team that'll give him a lead like Robert and this offense can.  If we get a two TD lead, look out for Brian and Ryan.  I'm telling you.  And that's gospel from the president of the Rob Jackson fan club. ;)

That's specifically why I think BJenkins could open some eyes this year.  Hopefully we will be in situations where we are up big, and we can turn 'em loose.

It'll be interesting to see how Haz plays it.  But something tells me that he will be going for the jugular when it is exposed. and hopefully a fully healthy D will give him the options and confidence to do so.

I love watching us put up points, but boy do I long for the days when we laid the hammer down on D.  I just like watching the heads roll.  That's why I have a soft spot for Bernstine. :)

Honestly, I'm hoping that by the end of the season we start going with a road grinder Giants style front with some play makers in the backfield.

I want them to find a way to get Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, and BJenkins all rushing the QB.Have Fletcher in the middle. Have Rambo, Thomas, Amerson, Hall, and Wilson out there looking to scoop up the ball.

Not sure if it'd work, but I'd love to see it experimented with

Keeping 4 TEs will not have an affect on how many WRs are kept. By keeping only one FB on the roster, you need 4 TEs in case Young gets hurt. I say we'll keep 4 TEs and 6 WRs.

I didn't really mean WR specifically, but 4 TEs would need an extra roster spot, we only had 3 TEs and one FB last year. Now that Banks has gone, I figured it would be his spot used.

As others have said, we may only keep 8 OL and have 7 WRs, but I don't think so. The more Big Uglies up front the better I reckon.

DC9. Re: Shanny saying we are keeping 4 TEs (couldn't quote properly cos I can't edit the damn multi-quotes).

Yeah, you might be right. To be honest, I only read somewhere that he said it, and didn't hear the interview myself. But it's too late now, I've convinced myself that we will keep four, and my stubbornness/stupidity won't let me see it any other way :).

I'm think maybe;

OL 9

TE 4

RB 3

FB 1

QB 3

WR 6

DE 4

NT 2

OLB 5

ILB 4

CB 5

S 4

ST 3

However it pans out, the numbers game is gonna be brutal. We will have to cut some good players this year.

I want them to find a way to get Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, and BJenkins all rushing the QB.Have Fletcher in the middle. Have Rambo, Thomas, Amerson, Hall, and Wilson out there looking to scoop up the ball.

Yup!  We've been talking about the 1-5-5 defense ever since Haz mentioned that he had to find a way to get Jenkins, Rak, Kerrigan, and Jackson on the field at the same time:

(I'd put Baker or Neild as the down linemen)

1-5-5%20Creep.jpg

DC9. Re: Shanny saying we are keeping 4 TEs (couldn't quote properly cos I can't edit the damn multi-quotes).

Yeah, you might be right. To be honest, I only read somewhere that he said it, and didn't hear the interview myself. But it's too late now, I've convinced myself that we will keep four, and my stubbornness/stupidity won't let me see it any other way :).

It's semantics, lol.  I was more commenting on the fact that Shanahan committed to anything involving personnel.  He just doesn't do that, lol.  I'd agree that we'll probably keep all four.  And that's got as much to do with next year as it does this year in regards to Niles Paul and Reed fighting over who gets to be the heir to Davis if he doesn in fact leave (in my opinion).  If Davis stays, we won't keep four next year.

And not that we are all that worried about it, but here is a good write-up on how TEs in the Shanahan offense are the key to breaking the Cover 2 defense (which is designed to stop the WCO/and is also what the Cowboys are switching to under Monte Kiffin):

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2012/5/31/3055482/the-shanahan-bates-offense-part-2-two-tight-end-sets

During Lovie Smith's tenure as head coach, we Bears fans have been forced to watch other teams continually split our zone coverage with tight ends. The Cover 2 was designed to defeat the West Coast offense - it concedes the short stuff but forces teams to play perfectly on long drives - but it makes it no less frustrating when you have to watch all those passes sailing between defenders. These "down the seam" routes are staples of the West Coast Offense. Even Ron Turner knew how to work the areas between zone defenders. Consider this play from the Bears' 2008 match-up against the Saints.

Shanahan, of course, runs his two tight end scheme with a bit more sophistication than Turner did. While Turner liked to keep both tight ends - well - tight to the line, Shanahan preferred to keep only one tight to the line and put the other TE in the slot. The advantage of having one of your TEs off the line? It forces the defense to reveal more of its coverage scheme based on who lines up over the slot man: it is going to be a slower linebacker who can get beat with speed, or will it be a defensive back who will have problems defending a jump ball? Also, on running plays, it allows the slot TE to block or distract linebackers without having to get past the defensive line.

2ndAnd6ThirdQ930.jpeg

While you might think that the Browns are in man coverage based on how closely the receivers are being covered, they are actually in a zone here. When the play starts, the "close" tight end (the farthest "O" on the right of the line) stays home to block and allow Cutler to look left. The tight end in the slot (second "O" from the left) runs straight upfield for about ten yards and then makes a quick move to the inside. The LB that was directly over him at the start settles into his short zone to keep an eye on the running back, and the middle linebacker ends up being too slow in his break to the ball to defend the pass. The reason the middle linebacker was late to the play? On the previous play, the Broncos used the exact same formation to run the ball right up the middle. Since the LB has to peek into the backfield to make sure it's not another run, he isn't able to get back into his zone quickly enough. The slot TE settles into this gap in the zone, makes the catch, and gets a first down.

Another interesting foible of the Shanahan 2TE scheme is that he rotates the side the slot TE lines up on every play: 1st down, the slot TE is on the right; 2nd down, he's on the left. My best guess is that this rotation is designed to keep the linebackers on their heels. In any case, this play from the fourth quarter was able to manipulate the linebacker and go for a touchdown:

Good read, more at the link above.  Not necissarly the intent of the thread, but you could just imagine what we could do with two healthy pass catching threats at TE with Garcon outside and the threat of Morris. 

We've not had that luxary here due to injury.  And to one of my "wishes" for the year that we start coaching "next years" team, Niles Paul will be given a chance.  He needs to earn that chance though.

Honestly, I'm hoping that by the end of the season we start going with a road grinder Giants style front with some play makers in the backfield.

Why not?  The Giants did this all the time between 2007-2012 with guys like Strahan, Tuck, Osi, JPP, Kiwinuka.  They put their best pass rushers on the field for certain situations and it worked.

That's specifically why I think BJenkins could open some eyes this year.  Hopefully we will be in situations where we are up big, and we can turn 'em loose.

It'll be interesting to see how Haz plays it.  But something tells me that he will be going for the jugular when it is exposed. and hopefully a fully healthy D will give him the options and confidence to do so.

I love watching us put up points, but boy do I long for the days when we laid the hammer down on D.  I just like watching the heads roll.  That's why I have a soft spot for Bernstine. :)

We got so lucky with Brandon Jenkins.  No idea how he fell so far even with his foot injury.  And absolutely, with how much he liked to do a Cover 0 blitz, you know he wants to find different ways of "going for the jugular."

I really think our pass rush rebounds and explodes next season.

What are the chances of the Skins

Releasing Carriker? And what would

the cap hit be if he was released.

HTTR

The likelihood is better than 50% in my opinion.  They could IR him, that's always an option, but he is getting ready to be on the wrong side of 30 and is getting another surgery tomorrow.

If he is released this year, I believe the cap hit next year would be about $2.25 mil next year.  His contract was $5.7 mil garaunteed which means whatever he hasn't been paid will be accelerated into to next years cap.

EDIT:  and I'm new to using sportrac.  So I'm not sure that $5.7 is the overall garunteed money or if that is the the amount of garunteed money still on the deal.  If that's the case then obviously that will be accelerated into next years cap.

I'm not quite a cap guru yet, though :)

His numbers look like this throughout the life of his contract:

2012: Cap hit 1.7 with a base of 700k

2013: Cap hit 3.35 with a base of 2.3

2014: Cap hit 6.75 with a base of 4.7

2015: Cap hit 6.75 with a base of 4.7

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/adam-carriker/

That's specifically why I think BJenkins could open some eyes this year. Hopefully we will be in situations where we are up big, and we can turn 'em loose.

It'll be interesting to see how Haz plays it. But something tells me that he will be going for the jugular when it is exposed. and hopefully a fully healthy D will give him the options and confidence to do so.

I love watching us put up points, but boy do I long for the days when we laid the hammer down on D. I just like watching the heads roll. That's why I have a soft spot for Bernstine. :)

You're preaching to the choir AW.

I proclaimed Jebkins as the best natural edge rusher on the team the second we drafted him which drew scorn from some quarters on here. Outhere claim? No question being as he's never so much as suited up for a pro game. Never mind donned our colours for one. But conversely anyone that saw him in action when he was leading the Nation in sacks prior to the injury could appreciate the sentiment. If folk think 'Rak is quick, wait until they see Brandon burn past tackles. If he's fully healthy, dudes an edge rushing phenom.

I loved this past draft in so much as we started to take the next step and take calculated risks on game changing, high caliber playmaking talent. But nonody excited me as much as Jenkins. I'm still pinching myself as to how he fell so low given his immense natural talent.

I seriously can't wait to see him in pre-season. Given he'll probably be going against back-ups and third stringers or worse; I pity the 3rd string down QB's he'll be nailing.

Hail.

You guys are getting me fired up (it's hard to find highlights of him that don't involve curse words in the background music):

Look at the jumps he gets off the ball here and how he gets push against Guards... not tackles... Guards.  Impressive.

I'd also like to add that Jenkins is much more advanced in terms of what he was asked to do and what he did well in college than Orakpo was when he first got here out of Texas.

Jenkins may not be the physical freak that Orakpo was, but he's going to be a good one.

Dude won't do much of anything n coverage.

But we didn't pick him for that.

I may end up looking foolish (Hell knows it wouldn't be the first time); but I sincerely believe we landed the steal of this past draft and one of the NFL's future premier edge rushers.

And it's Thursday here already so I'm calling it. The season has STARTED!

Hail.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4180/adam-carriker

Redskins DE Adam Carriker will undergo another surgery on his torn quadriceps
on Thursday.

He's out indefinitely. Carriker has experienced numerous
setbacks as he recovers from last year's injury, and opened camp on the PUP
list. He'll also likely now open the season on reserve/PUP, costing Carriker the
first six games. Stephen Bowen and Jarvis Jenkins will be Washington's Week 1
starting ends.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4180/adam-carriker

He's out indefinitely. Carriker has experienced numerous

setbacks as he recovers from last year's injury, and opened camp on the PUP

list. He'll also likely now open the season on reserve/PUP, costing Carriker the

first six games. Stephen Bowen and Jarvis Jenkins will be Washington's Week 1

starting ends.

All the more reason to look LONG and HARD at replacing Golston.  I'm rooting hard for Brace or Merling to supplant.

Also fired up about Baker getting reps at DE.  I think the writing is all but on the wall here.

I hate to do this, but I have to agree DC9. I like Carriker, and he was good for us. It's too bad.

What are the height/weight specs on Brandon Jenkins? Could he line up at DE and do for us what Watt does for Houston?

All of the measurables are in the OP.  I think he is like 6'2 250 or so.  So probably not.

Might be time to seriously start kicking around moving Cofield out there.  Looks like we are giving Baker a shot out there as well.

I have never seen anything on Chigbo except his height and weight are the same size as a small mountain.

EDIT:  Yeah, 6'2 and 255lbs.

Two things:

1. It would save the team about 2 mil in cap space if they cut Carriker (minus the cost of replacement, obviously).

2. I wouldn't be shocked to see 4 TE and 5 WR, if one of the TEs is Paul. He and Reed can both go wide if needed, and Paulson becomes the back-up FB. I doubt a 6th WR would see much action anyway.

Two things:

1. It would save the team about 2 mil in cap space if they cut Carriker (minus the cost of replacement, obviously).

I mean, that might help you sign Winston for this year, but it goes against next years cap as a June 1st cut.  Not sure who's still out there at this point.  I'd love to have AC as a member of the strength staff or coaching staff in some way if it ends up looking that bad for him.  He's a great locker room guy.

EDIT:  Nevermind, just saw where Winston signed with the Cardinals 30 minutes or so ago.

2. I wouldn't be shocked to see 4 TE and 5 WR, if one of the TEs is Paul. He and Reed can both go wide if needed, and Paulson becomes the back-up FB. I doubt a 6th WR would see much action anyway.

Agreed.  We have a bad habit as a fanbase to overrate that WR group.  The reason I posted that link from the Bears blog on the Shanahan offenses use of the tightends (while in Denver) to combat the Cover 2 is because Paul fits the mold of the proverbial mismatch tightend who you can rotate on either side in the slot area of the formation.  He just needs some consistency.

Always glad to see Brandon Jenkins getting noticed by the fanbase, that kid can flat out play! The thing that strikes me repeatedly in the highlights is not just the rush to the QB, but the times he reads the play and reacts to snuff it out. You frequently see fierce college pass rushers overrunning the play, burnt on screens, etc. He is definitely one I want to see in TC.

Really interested to see what Rah can do with a young secondary as well, people are still doggin' on Haz like they're paid for it, but that will be RM's baby, firing the rooks up to earn game time.

a few of our UFA intrigues me, I bet at least 2 t least make  the practice squad

Emmanuel Ogbeuhi, TE 6-3 - 235lbs - (Georgia State) has speed but needs time to develop some muscle

Will Compton, LB 6-1 230lbs (Nebraska)  needs to add weight and strength

Xavier Nixon, OT   6'6"  321lbs (Florida)    can he play at full go 100% of time

Archived