Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Redskins 53 Man Roster And Practice Squad (Op): Jordan Reed to Injured Reserve. J.D. Walton claimed. Lance Lewis waiverd and claimed by Dallas.

DC9

My Dad met and talked to Tim Hightower today. Talked to home for like 30 min. He's coming back. Skins are gonna sign him. He says he's healthy. I'd think he'd have a real shot at making the squad if he returned to pure injury form.

At the expense of whom?

He's previously been outshone by Helu, Royster and the Butler. And now you're throwing two more highly regarded (by this staff already) rooks into the mix. 

He's also a year or so removed from the ACL, and wasn't touched by anyone last season after failing to make the grade here. 

I'm not certain of much, but THT not making the roster is one thing I will hang my hat on. 

Hail. 

Jeez I'm so tired of seeing his name.  Talk about man-crushes by our fanbase.  All I ever hear is how THT will be signed or that we should sign him.  Wish someone would sign the guy besides us so it will go away.

I didn't say we should sign him. I'm just telling you what he said.  And I know Shanny always liked him.  No man crush here.

I'd put Hightower ahead of Williams, Davis and possibly Royster (Jamison is a wildcard). Not sure the big problem with bringing him in.

Helu and Thompson as the backups would concern me slightly health-wise (and in pass pro), but it'd make for an exciting backfield. Stashing Jamison on the PS would make me a bit more comfortable though.

Compton working at LT makes me more comfortable with that position.

Looking forward to all of the defensive battles in particular, especially safety.

I'd put Hightower ahead of Williams, Davis and possibly Royster (Jamison is a wildcard). Not sure the big problem with bringing him in.

Helu and Thompson as the backups would concern me slightly health-wise (and in pass pro), but it'd make for an exciting backfield. Stashing Jamison on the PS would make me a bit more comfortable though.

Looking forward to all of the defensive battles in particular, especially safety.

You want three RBs that do different things.  I do agree that he's probably better than Williams, but I haven't seen him since he came off of his injury.  See my post a couple of posts up on the different types of running backs and what they actually do.  If we are keeping three, the Shannys tipped their hand as to which direction we were actually going (in my opinion).

Hightower isn't a bad running back, but he isn't Alfred Morris.  Hightower is not a change of pace back to Morris either.  He isn't as quick, fast or dynamic as Roy Helu (assuming Helu is healthy) and is doesn't create the perceived fear or mismatches that Chris Thompson would.  So essentially he is a back-up, which doesn't look like it's in the cards for him to make the 53 man roster. 

The only way I would bring him in is if I think he can start if god forbid something happens to Morris and we need a starter.  Then I would cut Williams and bring him in just to get him reps (kind of like what I BELIEVE we are doing with Stallworth).  That way he isn't too far behind the power curve. 

But the other thing you have to look at with Hightower is that he's been flirting with the Giants for the last two seasons now... so do you bring him in and show him the offense just to cut him with all of that knowledge?  I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze there myself.

A good write-up by our buddy Tarik El-Bashir over at CSN Washington on one battle in particular - - - ROLB.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/depth-chart-review-right-outside-linebacker

Position: Right outside linebacker

On the roster: Brian Orakpo, Rob Jackson, Brandon Jenkins, Darryl Tapp, Vic So’oto Ricky Elmore, Will Compton.

Expected to make the cut: Orakpo, Jackson

Comment: After missing all but two games last season because of a torn pectoral muscle, Orakpo, a two-time Pro Bowler, is healthy again and expected to provide the Redskins’ pass rush with a significant boost.

It’s also a critical season for Orakpo, who’s had two surgeries on that left pec and is entering the final season of his contract. If he has a monster season and records, say, 12-15 sacks, the 26-year-old will earn a contract commensurate with other elite pass rushers. If he gets hurt again or has a disappointing season, well, the situation becomes less clear.

More at the link above.

He hits on a lot of things in this article... namely who the locks are and how many OLBs we kept as a whole last year (which I have already annotated in the OP).  So with Rak, RJax, and Kerrigan already locks, look for only one of the guys to make the roster (two possibles through week 4 due to the suspension of Jackson through the first four games of the season).  So if there is a close battle, then you will get a live audition. 

I think it's going to be Tapp and Jenkins as of right now based off of what Tapp can offer in terms of a veteran presence as well as special teams play; and Jenkins' ceiling is way too high to pass up on.  But if we get a young kid who shows well during camp, you could be looking at more than 4 OLBs being kept and not one of them being named Tapp. 

EDIT:  Also, Rich Tandler and Tarik have done a few of these "depth chart reviews" so far, I've posted them in the OP under the position for which they apply - so far we have: NT, LDE, RDE, LT, and ROLB.  Looks like Tarik is doing defense and Rich is doing Offense.

You want three RBs that do different things. I do agree that he's probably better than Williams, but I haven't seen him since he came off of his injury. See my post a couple of posts up on the different types of running backs and what they actually do. If we are keeping three, the Shannys tipped their hand as to which direction we were actually going (in my opinion).

Hightower isn't a bad running back, but he isn't Alfred Morris. Hightower is not a change of pace back to Morris either. He isn't as quick, fast or dynamic as Roy Helu (assuming Helu is healthy) and is doesn't create the perceived fear or mismatches that Chris Thompson would. So essentially he is a back-up, which doesn't look like it's in the cards for him to make the 53 man roster.

The only way I would bring him in is if I think he can start if god forbid something happens to Morris and we need a starter. Then I would cut Williams and bring him in just to get him reps (kind of like what I BELIEVE we are doing with Stallworth). That way he isn't too far behind the power curve.

But the other thing you have to look at with Hightower is that he's been flirting with the Giants for the last two seasons now... so do you bring him in and show him the offense just to cut him with all of that knowledge? I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze there myself.

I hear you, and good point about the Giants. Essentially, my concern is who would be the starter if Morris misses significant time. I like Helu and Thompson, but probably not in that role. Ideally (for me) Jamison makes the PS and is called up if Morris goes down, but if the FO doesn't think he'd work in that role, then I could see Hightower making sense.

As for the idea that you want your 3 running backs to do different things, I'm not entirely sure I agree. What you want is 3 backs that can do it all of course, but barring that, you want every facet covered (running, catching and blocking with an emphasis on the girst two). I argued with a poster pre-draft that I'd be happy to have a Morris-clone for a backup as well as a COP back.

To be clear, the only way I see Hightower as an option is if Helu or Thompson gets hurt in TC, and even then I'd hope Jamison took the job.

You want three RBs that do different things. I do agree that he's probably better than Williams, but I haven't seen him since he came off of his injury. See my post a couple of posts up on the different types of running backs and what they actually do. If we are keeping three, the Shannys tipped their hand as to which direction we were actually going (in my opinion).

Hightower isn't a bad running back, but he isn't Alfred Morris. Hightower is not a change of pace back to Morris either. He isn't as quick, fast or dynamic as Roy Helu (assuming Helu is healthy) and is doesn't create the perceived fear or mismatches that Chris Thompson would. So essentially he is a back-up, which doesn't look like it's in the cards for him to make the 53 man roster.

The only way I would bring him in is if I think he can start if god forbid something happens to Morris and we need a starter. Then I would cut Williams and bring him in just to get him reps (kind of like what I BELIEVE we are doing with Stallworth). That way he isn't too far behind the power curve.

But the other thing you have to look at with Hightower is that he's been flirting with the Giants for the last two seasons now... so do you bring him in and show him the offense just to cut him with all of that knowledge? I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze there myself.

I hear you, and good point about the Giants. Essentially, my concern is who would be the starter if Morris misses significant time. I like Helu and Thompson, but probably not in that role. Ideally (for me) Jamison makes the PS and is called up if Morris goes down, but if the FO doesn't think he'd work in that role, then I could see Hightower making sense.

As for the idea that you want your 3 running backs to do different things, I'm not entirely sure I agree. What you want is 3 backs that can do it all of course, but barring that, you want every facet covered (running, catching and blocking with an emphasis on the girst two). I argued with a poster pre-draft that I'd be happy to have a Morris-clone for a backup as well as a COP back.

To be clear, the only way I see Hightower as an option is if Helu or Thompson gets hurt in TC, and even then I'd hope Jamison took the job.

I think if Morris went down, based on what we are looking at now you'd probably do one of a few things: 

-bring in K. Williams (ideally you'd have Royster, but he'll probably get scooped up if cut).  I'll agree Helu (who is still injured) can't carry the ball 250 times a year.  He'll break in half.  But Keiland could.  

-call up Jamison and go by comittee. 

-or give Kettani a shot.  Don't sleep on him as a RB either (who ran the dive/FB in Navy's double wing/veer offense - a la Jonathan Dwyer from GA Tech) who has plenty of experience in taking a pounding and running the option.

That is one thing I won't sweat with Shanny as the coach.  If Mo goes down (god forbid), we'll still have yardage in the rushing game... it may not result in a fantasy championship, but we'll have numbers and production.

In terms of the types of running backs, I agree you'd love the 3 you keep to be able to do it all, but NOT the same way.  The very nature of a "change of pace" back is to change the pace.  You hit a defense on the dive play with the Butler for 4 or 5 plays in a row OR run zone left or right with Morris and he gets in a rythem of where he goes in terms of which holes he takes and how fast he takes them... the defense starts to feel him out and his running style and tendency, and boom... you put Helu in there who is faster, runs differently, and will likely choose a different route or hole within the zone.

So you are right, you want the guys you keep to be complete (and that comes with reps and coaching) but you certainly don't want 3 Alfred Morris' on your team for any other reason than longevity and he's great runner.  Don't take that the wrong way though, lol.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/haslett-thinks-rookie-safety-will-start

darrellgreenie posted this over in the Rambo thread.  I've added to the OP.

So, according to Jim Haslett a rookie safety is going to start for the Redskins this season. He either doesn’t know who it will be or he’s not saying.

Earlier this month at minicamp the Redskins defensive coordinator said the following when asked if it was realistic to think that either Phillip Thomas or Bacarri Rambo could start this year:

“I think one of them. Yeah, I really do think one of them will be on the grass. I’m not sure which one, but one of them I think is going to have to... I think they’ll all help us. I think all three of them are going to help us. I just don’t know to what extent yet.”

----- further down the page----

So the late-June view of the situation is that if one of the two rookies is lining up as a starter either in Week 1 or very early in the season it is likely to be Rambo. But there are a few weeks of training camp and four preseason games to sort everything out so that is very much subject to change.  

MORE AT LINK ABOVE

Now given that the www.redskins.com website has Brandon Meriweather listed as FS while everyone else is listed as S or just DB... I'm going to stretch out and assume that BMeri is going to start at FS. 

Also given that Haz mentioned that Thomas started at Strong and Rambo started at Free during camp (I know in our scheme, they are interchangible), I'm also going to assume that Thomas is the one who will be starting.  That's a lot of ball hawking on the field at once, ladies and gentlmen.  Hopefully Rah can improve his tackling, he'll need it week 1 vs Shady McCoy and friends.

I don't understand why Merriweather would be penciled in at FS instead of SS. Every thing we have saw and read from last year up to this point would indicate he is leader of the pack for SS which would give Rambo the inside track to being the early season rookie starting at FS. 

You are entirely correct!  And I am with you and think that Rambo has the inside track and UGA ran a similar defense to us, etc... but the only thing giving me pause is the listing of "FS" on the website.

If you want an easy counter to that all you need to do is say "well they have Tapp listed as DE". lol

I don't understand why Merriweather would be penciled in at FS instead of SS. Every thing we have saw and read from last year up to this point would indicate he is leader of the pack for SS which would give Rambo the inside track to being the early season rookie starting at FS. 

You are entirely correct!  And I am with you and think that Rambo has the inside track and UGA ran a similar defense to us, etc... but the only thing giving me pause is the listing of "FS" on the website.

If you want an easy counter to that all you need to do is say "well they have Tapp listed as DE". lol

Good point lol. Though I don't mind seeing Tapp listed at DE, brings me back to his Hokie days

ROSTER BATTLES FOR CENTER

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/depth-chart-review-center

Some battles are straightforward. Others could get complicated. This much, however, cannot be debated: A player is not on the 53-man roster until its finalized Aug 31.

So who’s in? And who’s in jeopardy? Up today …

Position: Center

On the roster: Will Montgomery, Kevin Matthews, Tevita Stevens

Likely to make the 53: Montgomery

Comment: If you are making up a list of the Redskins most underrated by fans, Montgomery’s name should be near the top. He has missed just six snaps in the last two years and last year he was a key part of the line that paved the way for the Redskins to lead the league in rushing yards and in yards per play.

more at link above

I'll agree whole heartidly with Rich on this piece.  As we've talked about in KDawgs offensive line thread, you are not going to beat out Will Montgomery.  Monty is one of the best Centers in the league and as Rich said, most who aren't diehards under rate him severely. 

But Stevens may be a practice squad candidate for me.  I'm not sure about Matthews.  But in a pinch (and they don't happen often with Monty <<knock on wood>>) you will still have options with Korey Lich (LG and the 2nd rated Center in his draft class) or the presumed heir apparent in the Clown Killer Josh LeRibeus (who can also play both).  

Longevity and versatility are important to be a part of this group and for the first time in a very long time it appears we have both on the interior. 

ROSTER BATTLES FOR MIKE LINEBACKER (Or... Inside Linebacker for yous sticklers ;) )

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/depth-chart-preview-mike-linebacker

So who’s in? And who’s in jeopardy? Up today … 

Position: “Mike” linebacker

On the roster: London Fletcher, Roddrick Muckelroy, Keenan Robinson, Bryan Kehl

Expected to make the cut: Fletcher, Robinson

Comment: The Redskins’ ageless wonder, London Fletcher, appears to be a lock to serve as the nerve center of Washington’s defense once again.

Although the 38-year-old was slowed by a litany of injuries last season, he still managed to make a team-leading 139 tackles, record three sacks and establish a career-high for interceptions with five – in his 15th season.

More at link above

Well... I'm not sure where Tarik is going with this piece since he forgot to mention Perry Riley being in the fray (unless he is going to do a Jack and Joker post and call them Mike and Inside instead?) but he does raise some points that we've all talked about on here in terms of battling for this position.

Everyone who interacts with me on the regular in here in regards to ILB knows that I love Rod Muckelroy and quite literally threw a temper tantrum when we drafted Perry Riley ahead of him.  Well... we all make mistakes starting around the 4th and 5th round of the draft don't we :) ?

But I would not be upset if we kept Bryan Kehl over him.  I truly believe that Bryan Kehl can take over for Fletcher in 2014 and it would be relatively seemless in terms of what he can do for the defense.  He's smart, he's very fast, and he's a good tackler.  Some time in Okie this year would go a long way in getting Kehl ready for 2014 if 59 decides that it's time to hang 'em up.  And if you think Lorenzo was a beast on teams, wait until you see this guy in that same role.

I think you can sneak Burdette on to the practice squad without much fan fair.  We all like the "what if" and "mini-me" aspect of how much he looks and plays like London, but he's raw.  If we have an inury Burdette would be my nomination to come up and take a spot on the 53.

So as of now, I have 59, Riley, Keenan, and Kehl (Keenan and Kehl... how about that? lol).  PS Burdette and bring him up if there is an injury.  Sorry Muck... you stole my heart 4 years ago and now it's time to let you go.

Don't have much to contribute at this point, but I really like the way that this thread is shaping up, lots of good info already.

I cannot wait to see these guys battle it out on the field this preseason.  We have good depth and plenty of competition.

HTTR!

ROSTER BATTLES FOR RIGHT TACKLE (Everybody's favorite topic)

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/depth-chart-preview-right-tackle

Position: Right tackle

On the roster: Tyler Polumbus, Jeremy Trueblood, Tony Pashos

Likely to make the 53: Polumbus

Comment: Right tackle was near the top of everyone’s “needs” list before free agency and the draft but the limited moves the Redskins made at the position indicated that they are happy with Polumbus. One of those moves was to re-sign Polumbus to a two-year contract after he received some interest from the Jaguars.

At least they are happy enough with Polumbus, who started 15 games at right tackle in 2012, line him up with the first team throughout the offseason program. That doesn’t mean he won’t get pushed by Trueblood, Pashos, or backup left tackle Tom Compton during training camp. But even if Polumbus isn’t the starter at right tackle he’ll be on the roster as the swing tackle and emergency interior lineman (he has started four games at left guard during his five-year career).

He may not be a favorite of fans or analysts but the Redskins led the league in rushing and in yards per offensive play with Polumbus at right tackle and they may well be inclined to roll with him again in 2013.

Battling for a job: Trueblood, Pashos

Totally agree with Rich on just about everything here.  Polumbus was above average in running blocking (which we all knew) but was below average on pass pro (which we also knew).  Since Trueblood is a penalty machine, for some reason I really like Pashos to win the backup job if we end up keeping 10 linemen.  He just offers a calming veteran presents and he has been a steady player at both LT and RT in the NFL.

ROSTER BATTLES FOR RIGHT GUARD

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/depth-chart-preview-right-guard

Position: Right guard

On the roster: Chris Chester, Adam Gettis

Likely to make the 53: Chester

Comment: The Redskins have run 2,165 offensive plays in the past two seasons and Chris Chester has been the right guard for every single one of them. Like the other two starters along the interior line, left guard Kory Lichtensteiger and center Will Montgomery, he is not considered to be one of the top players in the at his position. But the Redskins are more than happy to have them.

Chester has given up just one sack in each of the last two seasons and after struggling to adjust to run blocking in the Redskins’ zone scheme for much of 2011 he has found his stride there.

Battling for a job: Gettis

Comment: The team kept Gettis on the 53-man roster and the game-day inactive list for all 16 games last year, essentially giving their 2012 fifth-round draft choice a redshirt NFL season. They like his athleticism and they believe that he has potential.

The team may be willing to give Gettis a second redshirt but they have to show that the first one was worth the investment of the time, money, and roster spot. If he shows progress in training camp and in what likely will be extensive action in the preseason he’ll get another year. If he looks like he is as much of a project as he was last year, he cold be on the roster bubble.

Interesting battle here.  Rich reveals that Gettis is still considered a project.  Remember the Chicago game last pre-season?  We were all like, "Maybe Robert is human... maybe this will be a bit of a learning curve year."  Well... go back and watch the game again... Chris Chester was out and Gettis was out there with the first team offensive line and he was absolutely ABUSED by Idonije and the rest of the Bears defensive linemen/linebackers.

Before reading this I thought that this may have been the most potentially suprising position battle of the pre-season.  Chester is past 30 years old.  Gettis is the young buck in waiting.  Chester is making a large amount of money.  Gettis has a large amount of potential.  Do we make the move this year and let Gettis take the reigns and clear up some cap space for next season when we get our money back?  That remains to be seen.  I've always been a Chester fan.  You hardly ever hear his name called and that's not a bad thing at all when you are an offensive linemen.  His consistency on the field with performance and longevity have proven to be valuable for the Redskins.

Didn't see Mo Hurt mentioned here, maybe we'll see him on the LG write-up, but he could play here in a pinch and play well, as well as at RT.  Should be interesting to see what happens at this spot for sure.

Don't have much to contribute at this point, but I really like the way that this thread is shaping up, lots of good info already.

I cannot wait to see these guys battle it out on the field this preseason.  We have good depth and plenty of competition.

HTTR!

Thanks!  I am a bit of a personnel nerd, so this is one of the most exciting parts of the year for me.  It'll pick up as we get closer.

24 days, brother... 24 days until TC begins.

ROSTER BATTLES FOR LEFT OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/depth-chart-preview-left-outside-lb

Position: Left outside linebacker

On the roster: Ryan Kerrigan, Darryl Tapp, Brandon Jenkins, Vic So’oto, Ricky Elmore, Will Compton

Expected to make the cut: Kerrigan

Comment: It should come as no surprise that Kerrigan is a lock to be the starter Week 1.

The 24-year-old registered a career-high 8.5 sacks in 2012, forced two fumbles, returned an interception for a touchdown and earned his first Pro Bowl berth. Meantime, ProFootballFocus.com credited the third-year pro with more quarterback hurries (50) than any other 3-4 outside linebacker.

Kerrigan’s effectiveness was, however, negatively impacted by the loss of Brian Orakpo to a season-ending injury in Week 2. With Orakpo out, Kerrigan attracted more double teams and chip blocks from tight ends and running backs. There were also games in which Kerrigan’s responsibilities included more pass coverage duty, thus cutting down his number of sack opportunities.

But Orakpo has returned and, by all accounts, is 100-percent recovered. That should have a positive effect on Kerrigan’s consistency – and the Redskins’ pass rush on a whole. In 2012, the team’s sack total declined to 32 from 41 the previous season.

Fighting for a job: Tapp, Jenkins, So’oto, Elmore, Compton

In the FA thread earlier this year I was singing the praises of one Vic So'oto.  I was working on a couple of t-shirt ideas and even had a slogan.... which will remain in the depths of my imagination.  He's the proverbial longshot to make the team, but I love his upside.  Only problem is he hasn't put it together anywhere he's been yet and he is just about in the bottom of the 9th in terms of chances. 

Aside of the obvious choice of Kerrigan (cool nugget from Tarik on 91 leading the league in QB hurries last year... should be cool to see him and K-po back together again) I think you have to take a look at Jenkins. 

During OTAs, Haz was asked about getting Rak, RJax, and Kerrigan on the field at the same time, his answer was something to the effect of "We can do that, but I need to figure out how to get Rak, Jackson, Kerrigan, and Jenkins on the field at the same time."  That made this LB loving fan smile ear-to-ear as I was driving home in NoVA traffic. :) 

I still think after looking at all of this, you're going to get Rak and Jackson (obviously you'll keep a backup around until RJax is eligible---I'll go with Tapp as my pick there) and then you get Kerrigan and Jenkins on the left side.  That leaves a battle for Tapp and Kehl to see who gets to be the swing back/special teams killer.  Should be fun to watch.

Orakpo, Kerrigan, Jackson, and Jenkins seems like a very solid OLB corp.  

Yep.  It's very easy to get excited about that.  That's depth (assuming Jenkins is servicable).

We kept 9 LBs total last year though.  I have us keeping 9 this year:

OLB

Rak

Kerrigan

Jackson (So'oto will have RJax's spot until week 5 when Rob makes his triumphant return)

Jenkins

Tapp

ILB

Fletcher

Riley

K. Robinson

Kehl

So I take it back, I have Kehl making it at ILB... it'll be between Muck and Vic for that last spot/Special Teams guy. 

I think Kehl's versatility has him winning the spot in the pre-season over Muck because Kehl excells on teams and can play all four LB spots.  Would love for him to pan out this year and take over for Fletch as the veteran next year.  I was very surprised/dissapointed when he was cut last season.

I'm pretty interested to see how much playing time Jenkins/Jackson get if Orakpo/Kerrigan stay healthy.  Haslett has said he's thought about a Giants-esque NASCAR package (4 pass rushers and no DT's), so it's possible there will still be playing time for Jenkins/Jackson.

This would also allow us to rest our Cofield/Bowen/Jarvis/etc a bit more, which could be useful given that Carriker might not be ready to go.

on the list of LB's kept they list Robinson at both Mike and Jack as likely to make the team

with Gettis having been inactive all last year the Skins could choose to put him on the PS this year

on the list of LB's kept they list Robinson at both Mike and Jack as likely to make the team

with Gettis having been inactive all last year the Skins could choose to put him on the PS this year

Yeah Tarik is a bit disorganized but he's putting out some really good poop.  We are coming up on CBs and Safeties next, so it's going to be awesome.

I had no idea Gettis was still such a project.  Doesn't bode well that the clown killer is on the **** list as well.

I'm pretty interested to see how much playing time Jenkins/Jackson get if Orakpo/Kerrigan stay healthy.  Haslett has said he's thought about a Giants-esque NASCAR package (4 pass rushers and no DT's), so it's possible there will still be playing time for Jenkins/Jackson.

This would also allow us to rest our Cofield/Bowen/Jarvis/etc a bit more, which could be useful given that Carriker might not be ready to go.

Yeah it'll be interesting.  I wouldn't mind seeing a 1-5-5 nickel package with Chris Neild, London, and the four OLBs with the nickel secondary.  Lots of possibilities there with D-Hall off the edge and Thomas or Rambo blitzing.... and that's not even getting into the pass rushers.

Lots of toys for Haz to play with.

Yeah it'll be interesting.  I wouldn't mind seeing a 1-5-5 nickel package with Chris Neild, London, and the four OLBs with the nickel secondary.  Lots of possibilities there with D-Hall off the edge and Thomas or Rambo blitzing.... and that's not even getting into the pass rushers.

Lots of toys for Haz to play with.

That would be a fun defense to play on, and hell for OL and QBs.

Our right tackle situation scares me.

I don't think Polumbus is as much of a lock as others do, though. Pashos and Trueblood, given solid performances, could both make the team over him. Nixon is a long shot but still a possibility. Hurt is listed as a G currently, but he's certainly someone who could play RT as well.

I think familiarity is a great reason we may see Polumbus return. In truth, he's an okay back up. I stress, "okay". He was on the backside of the read option stuff a LOT last year, so his block wasn't key in the play. He also got bullied entirely too many times. But he has good size and length and is familiar with the system.

Archived