Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: The New England Patriots have signed Tim Tebow (merged)

FSUSkins24

I got an email yesterday from Patriots.com selling me a tebow jersey.

Honestly.. he's a 3rd string QB. If we let Grossman go and signed David Carr, would redskins.com send any of us an email specifically offering us the opportunity to buy his jersey?

I ****ing hope not.

It's ridiculous

~Bang

Honestly.. he's a 3rd string QB. If we let Grossman go and signed David Carr, would redskins.com send any of us an email specifically offering us the opportunity to buy his jersey?

I ****ing hope not.

It's ridiculous

~Bang

More important question: Why are you getting emails from Patriots.com?

Like seriously, what makes him so special? .

Heisman Trophy winner.  2 National Championships.  All American. Record setting QB in the SEC.  Drafted in 1st round of NFL Draft.  Engineered several exciting come from behind wins, including an overtime win in the playoffs. Extremely varying opinions on what success he can have in the NFL.   I don't understand your question...

No offense but it sounds like you have a bit of a hard on for Tebow.  My main question is why should he get so much attention if he is never going to have a major impact?  Like I said he's a below average quarterback.  I understand everything he did in college but who cares?  This is the NFL.

Heisman Trophy winner.  2 National Championships.  All American. Record setting QB in the SEC.  Drafted in 1st round of NFL Draft.  Engineered several exciting come from behind wins, including an overtime win in the playoffs. Extremely varying opinions on what success he can have in the NFL.   I don't understand your question...

No offense but it sounds like you have a bit of a hard on for Tebow.  My main question is why should he get so much attention if he is never going to have a major impact?  Like I said he's a below average quarterback.  I understand everything he did in college but who cares?  This is the NFL.

Definetly no offense.  But you asked what makes him so special.  There are few players coming into the league with accolades like his.  Any QB with those achievements coming into the NFL is going face scrutiny.  Going to have fans and doubters.  But to pretend he's a nobody that came from nowhere is inaccurate.  Dude was a big name college player, so of course people are going to watch his career in the NFL with a microscope.  And, regardless of whether people think he is a good QB or not, dude had success as a starting QB in the NFL.  That's rare company in itself.  He had a major impact with the Broncos.  Whether he ever achieves that again or not, people are going to talk about it.  That's what the NFL is.  

You can't throw a brick in the NFL without hitting a player with a string of college accolades. In college, where the range in talent is far wider than it is in the NFL, a player can succeed with unconventional abilities. In the NFL, where everybody was an all-American or led their school in some record-breaking something, you can't get away with that for very long.

What makes Tebow special is that he is a hard worker and natural leader who is not afraid to lead by example. His teammates know he would run through a brick wall for them and that inspires them to do the same for him. It's one reason why the Broncos were able to win some games despite the fact that he doesn't have the correct skill-set to play QB. As a Leader of Men he would be a great asset for any team.

As a QB, not so much. A reality which was already starting to catch up to the Broncos by the end of the year, and despite the overtime heroics of the Steeler game, that was the one decent game in a 1-4 slide to close out the season ... an eerily similar performance to that of the Broncos in their first five games.

But as a person and an athlete, Tebow is an easy guy to like, and an easy guy to root for, which I suspect is the reason so many people do.

Whatever Tebows shortcomings as a passer (and I take all the talk of improved mechanics with a pinch of salt) he IS a very good football player. He showed he can win games in Denver - win ugly for sure and with a lot of help from his defense but he won. So I am not shocked that he has got another shot at the the NFL.

However I am shocked its with a team like the Patriots. I dont see how in any way he fits in their offense as run by Brady - the whole offense is based around Brady throwing the ball in a precision passing offense. Thats not Tebow. Plus the Pats have a talented young passer in Mallett behind Brady who has the arm talent to run that offense as a backup. Your also not going to take Brady out on short yardage or goalline packages to run some separate set of plays based around Tebow - Brady is just to good.

So I just do not see how or where Tebow fits on that New England roster. I will allow though that Belichick knows a heck of lot more about football and managing a roster than I do so it will be interesting to see this play out.  

Definetly no offense.  But you asked what makes him so special.  There are few players coming into the league with accolades like his.  Any QB with those achievements coming into the NFL is going face scrutiny.  Going to have fans and doubters.  But to pretend he's a nobody that came from nowhere is inaccurate.  Dude was a big name college player, so of course people are going to watch his career in the NFL with a microscope.  And, regardless of whether people think he is a good QB or not, dude had success as a starting QB in the NFL.  That's rare company in itself.  He had a major impact with the Broncos.  Whether he ever achieves that again or not, people are going to talk about it.  That's what the NFL is.  

That's all very true.  His run with the Broncos was indeed impressive.

I am just sick of hearing about him I guess.  It's repetitive and boring.

Whatever Tebows shortcomings as a passer (and I take all the talk of improved mechanics with a pinch of salt) he IS a very good football player. He showed he can win games in Denver - win ugly for sure and with a lot of help from his defense but he won. So I am not shocked that he has got another shot at the the NFL.

However I am shocked its with a team like the Patriots. I dont see how in any way he fits in their offense as run by Brady - the whole offense is based around Brady throwing the ball in a precision passing offense. Thats not Tebow. Plus the Pats have a talented young passer in Mallett behind Brady who has the arm talent to run that offense as a backup. Your also not going to take Brady out on short yardage or goalline packages to run some separate set of plays based around Tebow - Brady is just to good.

So I just do not see how or where Tebow fits on that New England roster. I will allow though that Belichick knows a heck of lot more about football and managing a roster than I do so it will be interesting to see this play out.  

Yeah, I read somewhere that Brady has converted on some crazy number of consecutive 3rd or 4th and 1s. The thing with bringing Tebow is it screws with your opponent's practices. They have to devote some time in practice to defensing the Tebow offense, and any time spent doing that is time that isn't spent on the Brady offense.

Plus, Tebow did some great things with Hernandez in Florida, so they could be working some stuff in like that. I remember Hernandez lining up as a RB a couple times last year for the Pats, so this might just add another wrinkle to that package.

Yeah, I read somewhere that Brady has converted on some crazy number of consecutive 3rd or 4th and 1s. The thing with bringing Tebow is it screws with your opponent's practices. They have to devote some time in practice to defensing the Tebow offense, and any time spent doing that is time that isn't spent on the Brady offense.

Plus, Tebow did some great things with Hernandez in Florida, so they could be working some stuff in like that. I remember Hernandez lining up as a RB a couple times last year for the Pats, so this might just add another wrinkle to that package.

If I'm a DC preparing to play the Pats with Tebow on the roster I'm spending all my time preparing for Brady and I will take my chances with Tebow. In fact I would view every snap they took Brady out for as a massive bonus!

If I'm a DC preparing to play the Pats with Tebow on the roster I'm spending all my time preparing for Brady and I will take my chances with Tebow. In fact I would view every snap they took Brady out for as a massive bonus!

Just spitballing, but they could do a 2-QB offense, with both Brady and Tebow on the field.

• Snap the ball to Tebow who then can run it or pitch it to Brady to throw the ball.
  • Snap the ball to Brady and Tebow can either run a route or stay and block.
  • Snap the ball to Brady who then hands it off to Tebow.

I don't think it's the best idea to just "take your chances" with Tebow. Not after what he did in Denver.

But you could with what he DIDN'T do in NY.

Funny how the media is complaining about having to cover this once again (radio talk shows and some TV) yet they can't get enough of it.  I heard somewhere that last year a talk radio guy was almost fired (not sure where it was) because he refused to talk about it, but his producer wanted him to. 

Funny how the media is complaining about having to cover this once again (radio talk shows and some TV) yet they can't get enough of it.  I heard somewhere that last year a talk radio guy was almost fired (not sure where it was) because he refused to talk about it, but his producer wanted him to. 

To be fair, almost all news anchors/reporters/talk show/radio hosts only talk about what their producers tell them to. It's the ones who indulge in it that separate themselves.

Do you really think Rex Ryan can use personnel to the same extent that Belichick does?

Just spitballing, but they could do a 2-QB offense, with both Brady and Tebow on the field.

• Snap the ball to Tebow who then can run it or pitch it to Brady to throw the ball.
I don't think it's the best idea to just "take your chances" with Tebow. Not after what he did in Denver.
Again I'd be delighted as an opposing DC anytime they took the ball out of Brady's hands and put it in Tebows on any kind of passing down. I suppose they could use Tebow as essentially a running back on at the same time as Brady with the threat of an option pass and give him some snaps in what are called running downs. On 3rd down or goalline situations though I'd take anyone handling the ball apart from Brady if I'm on defence!

I ****ing hope not.

It's ridiculous

~Bang

I belong to a lot of team sites from when i was doing cartoons. Never know where material would come from,, like this, for example.

~Bang

Tebow  gets more coverage any any 2 superstar QB'S combined.  I could care less about a 3rd string 3rd rate QB. So why does the media force him on us?

Because of the media coverage it cost him a chance of being picked up by other teams. All but the Pats were afraid of the media circus he would bring to town. I will say this for Belichick  he controls the media on his team. He has brought other high profile media darlings and they were render moot

I ****ing hope not.

It's ridiculous

~Bang

I belong to a lot of team sites from when i was doing cartoons. Never know where material would come from,, like this, for example.

~Bang

You stopped doing cartoons?

That's what I wonder about if Tebow could be a modern day Brian Mitchell.  As a running back who can throw he might be more useful than a quarterback who can run.

I heard on Radio Tebow and Hernandez were roommates at college. I think that was no accident

Man, talk about completely opposite sides of the spectrum....

One one end, you have a player who might be closer than any pro athlete has ever been to the Light of God, and on the other end, you have a player who may have murdered 3 people, and shot another in the face all within the last year.

• 1 month later...

Not to bring up a dead thread, but this is one of those moment that Bill Bellichick will regret listening to Josh McDaniel. I just saw Tebow's "highlights" against the Buccs. LOL.  1-7 and -1 yard with a horrible int.  Seriously, I'm just so sick of Tebow's ego and "pride".  Even he has to realize he sucks playing the QB position.  The "success" that he has in Denver was the worst thing that happened to his career, imo.  Because of that, he adamantly believes he can play the QB, but in reality the amount of fluke, lucky, and great defenses helped save that Broncos' season.                 

Just because he was drafted in the first round doesn't mean that he's guaranteed to have success.  And he's not the first player to be asked to switch position.  There are countless of prospects who switched position once they enter the big league, and they made a career out of it.  I'm just so sick of Tebow and his ego.

Archived