Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: The New England Patriots have signed Tim Tebow (merged)

FSUSkins24

Tebow isn't going to Jax. Their owner has been very vocal about not signing him.

Really?

I could have sworn I read a quote, after Jax' season ended, (which I think was around Halloween), where the owner GUARANTEED that Tebow would be a jaguar, next year. (Maybe that was after Denver cut him).

I assumed it was because, while Tebow won't turn the Jags into winners, he would sell tickets. Something the Jags have trouble doing.

Really?

I could have sworn I read a quote, after Jax' season ended, (which I think was around Halloween), where the owner GUARANTEED that Tebow would be a jaguar, next year. (Maybe that was after Denver cut him).

I assumed it was because, while Tebow won't turn the Jags into winners, he would sell tickets. Something the Jags have trouble doing.

It may have been the GM or coach that said it, now that I think about it. Anyway, whichever guy it was, that was said before he went to the Jets. I assume nothing's changed, as they could have signed him after the Jets released him.

My point is, he's not going to Jacksonville.

I hope for only good things for him, including reviving his NFL career.  He's a good kid who deserves better than the ugly backlash that he's experienced through no real fault of his own.

You know what would silence the critics faster than you can blink? Him performing lights out.  You know who's fault it is that he's not?  You got it, his own.   

You know what would silence the critics faster than you can blink? Him performing lights out.  You know who's fault it is that he's not?  You got it, his own.   

It's his fault that people hype him up beyond his skills? Okay. I think that YOU are able to be the best QB in history and throw for 8,000 yards in one season. I will criticize you non-stop until you finally accomplish it. My criticism of you is your own fault because you are not achieving 8,000 yards per season.

The fact is the guy has gotten progressively worse at throwing the football since he's entered the league. I believe due to in part at least the constant tweaking of his mechanics. It's possible he's just thinking about too many things every time he drops back. The guy completed what, around 30% of his passes in preseason?? He's an abysmal passer and has no future at QB in any pro football league.

I hope for only good things for him, including reviving his NFL career.  He's a good kid who deserves better than the ugly backlash that he's experienced through no real fault of his own.

I agree. I used to not be a big Tebow fan, but I feel bad for him. ESPN created a circus around him and it just went downhill after that. I mean the dude lead the Broncos to the playoffs and even a playoff win. Then was given the boot the next season and looks to be out of the league.

I feel bad for him in terms of people attacking his character and making him out to be some kind of cheeseball fraud. I don't care one iota about the criticism he's received in terms of his play. The fact is that he deserves nothing. He's been given more chances than anyone I've ever seen when it comes to his skillset as a passer, and he hasn't improved.

The amount of handholding you'd have to do with him in order to just be "Okay" just isn't worth it when you consider his abilities as a passer

What's the difference between Matt Flynn and Tim Tebow?

Tebow has a playoff win, more experience, more wins, an incredibly better college career.

And yet, Flynn is on a team, got big money, has been on teams consistently and fighting for starter jobs without catching much flak.

Why does Tebow catch all the flak? Because he stands for something. When the world sees a fire in someone, they stomp it out. Bottom line.

The kid doesn't deserve the crap he catches. He's not Tom Brady, but he's also not Matt Flynn. How about TJ Yates? Kevin Kolb? Caleb Hanie? All have had very sub par (in my opinion, ugly, if my memory serves me) performances in regular season games, yet they're still on NFL teams.

Here's why I don't feel bad for Tebow: his pride.  When is enough, enough? How many bad passes, interceptions, bad reads until he realizes that QB is not his thing? Like I said earlier, that fluky season in Denver was probably the worst thing to happen to his career. 

Here's why I don't feel bad for Tebow: his pride.  When is enough, enough? How many bad passes, interceptions, bad reads until he realizes that QB is not his thing? Like I said earlier, that fluky season in Denver was probably the worst thing to happen to his career. 

So you would suggest that anyone who fails at something should quit, rather than continuing to try as hard as they possibly can to achieve their goals?

History would show time and time again that that is the wrong way to think.

I think most people would call that perserverence rather than pride, and would chalk it up as a desirable trait.

he refuses to learn his limits and keeps talking.  That is his own fault.  It is one thing to pursue your dream stubbornly when no one is giving you a chance, but when you are given a chance mulitple times and fail it is time to adapt

You should find work as a motivational speaker.

Tebow has a playoff win, more experience, more wins, an incredibly better college career.

And yet, Flynn is on a team, got big money, has been on teams consistently and fighting for starter jobs without catching much flak.

Why does Tebow catch all the flak? Because he stands for something. When the world sees a fire in someone, they stomp it out. Bottom line.

The kid doesn't deserve the crap he catches. He's not Tom Brady, but he's also not Matt Flynn. How about TJ Yates? Kevin Kolb? Caleb Hanie? All have had very sub par (in my opinion, ugly, if my memory serves me) performances in regular season games, yet they're still on NFL teams.

Go back and watch those games he won in Denver.

The defense was lights out.

And Tebow was pretty much terrible until the last few minutes when he made some fun big plays.

I definitely got caught up in it. Loved watching it. Nothing against the guy.

But I doubt we ever see him under center in the NFL again and it has nothing to do with him being a Christian or what he stands for or whatever.

He's just not good enough.

Those other guys you mentioned aren't long for the league either. But each one has had just as many good games as Tebow if not more. 

Let's face it: the best pro QB ever to come out of UF is Rex Grossman and it's not even close.

'They should change the word Quarterback to Passer'

I think we're being dishonest if we don't acknowledge that some of the Tebow backlash is due to: (a) dislike because of his insane fan following and (B) he's evangelically religious ;)

But, there are also football related reason for the dislike of Tebow.

Modern era fans have a very limited view of what equates success as QB. Quarterbacking to many has become crystalized into one skill in most people eyes and they disregard all other facets that make a QB successful. First is leadership every coach will tell you that leadership is one of if not the most important trait for a QB. Then there is playmaking. Bill Walsh sought QBs that have the ability to make the 'spontaneous play' or the 'off-schedule play' as Mike Shanahan refers to it. Then there is rushing. Tebow is a great not just a good but a great runner from the QB position. People don't realize that he's up there with Vick and Newton when it comes to rushing. And those rushing yards bring TDs and drive sustaining 1st downs. But, because the fans and sport media are focused only on passing the don't understand how Tebow and the Broncos were successful with the exact same team that a far greater passer in Kyle Orton failed with. Maybe, just maybe the fact that Tebow is a better leader, better play maker and a better run was the difference?

Nah...can't be the reason because Tebow isn't a good passer.

Go back and watch those games he won in Denver.

The defense was lights out.

And Tebow was pretty much terrible until the last few minutes when he made some fun big plays.

I definitely got caught up in it. Loved watching it. Nothing against the guy.

But I doubt we ever see him under center in the NFL again and it has nothing to do with him being a Christian or what he stands for or whatever.

He's just not good enough.

Those other guys you mentioned aren't long for the league either. But each one has had just as many good games as Tebow if not more.

Let's face it: the best pro QB ever to come out of UF is Rex Grossman and it's not even close.

Did Orton not have the same defense when he started the season 1-4? Orton is still on an NFL team, and I can't remember ever hearing him hammered like this? Blaming these wins on the defense alone is not a new argument, and it's also a strawman argument. Do you believe Brady Quin would have also lead the 2011 Broncos to an 8-8 record and a win against the Steelers? Kolb, Hanie, or TJ Yates could have done the same?

No, Tebow is not a good passer. He's not consistent. I'm not a talent evaluater, but you're probably right. He's probably not starting QB material. But to say a QB that has a winning record as a starter and a playoff win should be out of the league the next year is just illogical for me. Kolb and Flynn have both been in the league as severe busts for their expectations, yet are both still fighting for starting jobs. Flynn is 1-1 as a starter on what was at the time, the juggernaut team of the league...and has lost starting jobs to Russell Wilson and Terrell Pryor. Kolb has 21 career starts, and a 9-12 record in those starts with a QB rating of 78.9. Tebow has 16 starts, a record of 10-8 in those starts (1-1 playoffs), and a QB rating of 75.3. Given Kolbs injuries, I doubt he makes another roster. However, never once have I heard him come under the amount of criticism Tebow comes under. It's not just these kids. I could compare stats all day, but every statistics course I have taken taught me one thing: statistics are crap. It's the facts that do the talking, and Tebow somehow wins games. He's not going to dominate, but he'll keep the team alive. It's pretty clear there is another factor at play here. People simply hate seeing someone with the mindset he has, and sour grapes attitudes ensue.

No, Tebow is not a good passer. No, I don't think he has been treated fairly based on the majority of the backups and emergency QBs in the league. I don't see how anyone can say he's had a fair shot when the last time he played was in round 2 of the playoffs he lead his team to from a 1-4 start.

I'll never understand how a guy who cannot throw a football, deserves a shot to play QB in the NFL.

When the ball comes out of his hands, no one knows where its going to go. THe Patriots gave him 3 games this preseason, and he was awful.

Tebow needs to retire and go on a motivational speaking tour. He is not, and should never be, an NFL QB.

Yes, statistics are bunk, and '10-8 as a starter' is a perfect example. The guy can't throw the ball. If he could, he'd be on a team right now.

Vince Young was 31-17 as a starter for Tennessee. And a two time pro-bowler to boot. Since he left the Titans they've gone 16-22. Where are all the threads about him and how he's being treated so unfairly?

Sometimes its about more than just the record.

he stands for something he can't back up, which is his career as an NFL QB.  Matt Flynn isn't asking for anyone to design a system around him, because he has a standard NFL QB skillset, even if it turns out it isn't good enough to be a starting caliber NFL QB.   Him and those guys you list, maybe for the team to win everyone else would have to play lights out but they wouldn't have to adapt a single thing in the playbook.  With Tebow they would.  Those guys aren't good QBs.  Tebow is actually a bad QB

Archived