Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trench Warfare - Line Talk (Update: Matthews added, Wilborn released)

KDawg

Aren't a lot of these guys brought in so that the team can kick the tires now rather than later when someone goes down? At least you'll know who can do what a lot sooner if we need an injury replacement.

Yes. That's part of it. The problem there is that some of these guys may not remain on the open market. But others will and it there will be familiarity within the system.

Just recalling from when I spoke with the Redskins OL coach, I'm fully expecting Compton and LeRibeus to start week 1. He said they both had improved dramatically from last year. Can't say who I think LeRib will start over - there's an argument for both LG and RG. No clue how Gettis is doing though.

If you stuck a gun to my head though, my prediction for starting OL in week 1:

LT: Trent Williams

LG: Kory Lichtensteiger

C: Will Montgomery

RG: Josh LeRibeus

RT: Tom Compton

I'm curious concerning Gettis and LeRibeus. I like both, especially LeRibeus and what I saw from him last year. But I've never seen him play RG and never heard of him ever practicing there. Same could be said of Gettis in terms of him only playing RG and never LG. It seems as though both players are being groomed specifically for those respective sides. Are you just assuming the guard spots are interchangeable? I see LG as Lichtensteiger/LeRibeus and RG as Chester/Gettis. If there is any possibility to Chester being cut, I think it would be because they feel Gettis is ready and would almost be exclusive to where LeRibeus is at progressively, unless you guys have seen/heard something that I have not.

I think Chris Chester plays out the remainder of his contract as the starter if he does not decline. IMO he was our most consistent lineman last year not counting Trent. He rarely gets penalized, he rarely gets blown up or misses an assignment and he moves well. All this while playing next to Tyler Polumbus. If you put a competent guard next to him I think you all would view him in a more positive light.

I think Chris Chester plays out the remainder of his contract as the starter if he does not decline. IMO he was our most consistent lineman last year not counting Trent. He rarely gets penalized, he rarely gets blown up or misses an assignment and he moves well. All this while playing next to Tyler Polumbus. If you put a competent guard next to him I think you all would view him in a more positive light.

Wait, I don't get it. Put a competent guard next to who? Aren't you talking about Chester playing guard?

And don't forget that we had one of the top centers in the league. Which feels AMAZING to say now that we got rid of that terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE Rabach.

Wait, I don't get it. Put a competent guard next to who? Aren't you talking about Chester playing guard?

And don't forget that we had one of the top centers in the league. Which feels AMAZING to say now that we got rid of that terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE Rabach.

My mistake competent TACKLE

Rabach takes too much of a beating. He was pretty good for a while, on a line with a few very highly paid guys. Granted, Thomas, Samuels and Jansen were worth it for a long time.

Some interesting changes on the Redskins roster... Not that they mean a thing... but...

1) Kevin Matthews still hasn't been added to the roster on Redskins.com as of 7:54 AM

2) Maurice Hurt is listed as just a Guard now.

3) Will Montgomery has "G" listed as a position now. It reads: C/G

I see that Eric Winston is still available in FA. Do you think that his price tag is coming down to where he may be an option? Would he be a good fit in the Skins system? I have heard good things about him, but was wondering what your thoughts are.

I need some education from learned, wiser ES'ers.

I'm curious concerning Gettis and LeRibeus. I like both, especially LeRibeus and what I saw from him last year. But I've never seen him play RG and never heard of him ever practicing there. Same could be said of Gettis in terms of him only playing RG and never LG. It seems as though both players are being groomed specifically for those respective sides. Are you just assuming the guard spots are interchangeable? I see LG as Lichtensteiger/LeRibeus and RG as Chester/Gettis. If there is any possibility to Chester being cut, I think it would be because they feel Gettis is ready and would almost be exclusive to where LeRibeus is at progressively, unless you guys have seen/heard something that I have not.

I can't speak to the pro level, but in HS and college you could generally expect as a G to be put into either side. The assignments are mirror images of each other in the playbook, so as long as you're able to transpose the play calls (e.g. know the reverse terminology) you're fine. Of course you might be better pulling or blocking down to one side than the other, and that might influence where you're deployed, but theoretically you should be able to play LG or RG equally well.

I can't speak to the pro level, but in HS and college you could generally expect as a G to be put into either side. The assignments are mirror images of each other in the playbook, so as long as you're able to transpose the play calls (e.g. know the reverse terminology) you're fine. Of course you might be better pulling or blocking down to one side than the other, and that might influence where you're deployed, but theoretically you should be able to play LG or RG equally well.

High school and college are definitely one thing. But you honestly don't tend to see Guards switch sides too often in the NFL and like I said, being specific to those two players, and even including the rest of our Guards, none of them have practiced or played the opposite side, at least for us.

I'm pretty sure Chester has no reason to feel threatened by LeRibeus because imo, I think they are considered two separate positions. I think Gettis is more his competition while LeRibeus is battling solely for LG and C, but I think as long as Monty and Lichtensteiger are healthy, they will be the starters this year.

...none of them have practiced...the opposite side, at least for us.

Are you sure about that? ;) I've heard (on another fan site) LeRibeus had practice work at RG and C last season as well as at LG. He also started at all three positions at SMU. It's fair to say he has that potential here as long as he can master the system.

I'm pretty sure Chester has no reason to feel threatened by LeRibeus because imo, I think they are considered two separate positions. I think Gettis is more his competition while LeRibeus is battling solely for LG and C, but I think as long as Monty and Lichtensteiger are healthy, they will be the starters this year.

I agree with you here. The only way LeRibeus sees starting time is if one of the others goes down to injury or there is an unexpected leap forward in his progress. Although if he can switch between LG and C, why wouldn't you consider him for RG if you thought he was better than both Chester and Gettis?

Are you sure about that? ;) I've heard (on another fan site) LeRibeus had practice work at RG and C last season as well as at LG. He also started at all three positions at SMU. It's fair to say he has that potential here as long as he can master the system.

Ok, well that was my original question because I hadn't heard or forgot that he had practiced at RG. If that is true then that changes my opinion a little bit and that's why I was asking that.

I agree with you here. The only way LeRibeus sees starting time is if one of the others goes down to injury or there is an unexpected leap forward in his progress. Although if he can switch between LG and C, why wouldn't you consider him for RG if you thought he was better than both Chester and Gettis?

Yeah, ultimately I think we'll go with the same starting 5 we had last year, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm more intrigued by LeRibeus than Gettis because while I think they can both move, I think LeRibeus possesses much more power and more of a mean/nasty streak. Basically, I feel pretty good about the depth and future of our interior line. RT is the only real question mark but I think we did alright with Polumbus there and can manage with him for another year. I'm sure it will be something that is addressed next offseason.

Yeah, ultimately I think we'll go with the same starting 5 we had last year, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm more intrigued by LeRibeus than Gettis because while I think they can both move, I think LeRibeus possesses much more power and more of a mean/nasty streak. Basically, I feel pretty good about the depth and future of our interior line. RT is the only real question mark but I think we did alright with Polumbus there and can manage with him for another year. I'm sure it will be something that is addressed next offseason.

I hope the RT position is stable enough for the year with Polumbus/Pashos/Trueblood, but next year there will be other positions that will need addressing as well, and who knows what the season will expose as a glaring weakness.

Shanny and Co are addressing the needs of the team, and the cap hit stings a lot, but the team really needs to get the OL straightened out. Just my :2cents: though.

My mistake competent TACKLE

Oh, okay, that makes much more sense now. I thought I was nuts or something!

Rabach takes too much of a beating. He was pretty good for a while, on a line with a few very highly paid guys. Granted, Thomas, Samuels and Jansen were worth it for a long time.

Casey Rabach is to the center position as Madieu Williams is to the safety position. Which is an insult to Williams. Who is the worst safety of all time.

I hope the RT position is stable enough for the year with Polumbus/Pashos/Trueblood, but next year there will be other positions that will need addressing as well, and who knows what the season will expose as a glaring weakness.

Shanny and Co are addressing the needs of the team, and the cap hit stings a lot, but the team really needs to get the OL straightened out. Just my :2cents: though.

I agree, and I can't imagine--since we finally have a franchise QB--a very special one at that, who experienced major injuries (concussion and knee) in just his first season--why OL, specifically tackle, wasn't our utmost, top priority.

I just hope Trent does not go down for any length of time.

I agree, and I can't imagine--since we finally have a franchise QB--a very special one at that, who experienced major injuries (concussion and knee) in just his first season--why OL, specifically tackle, wasn't our utmost, top priority.

I certainly agree that RT is a spot that in an ideal world we should/could upgrade and I suspect without the cap penalty we would have done something about it in free agency this year. However it is worth pointing out that non of RGIIIs injuries happened on hits within the pocket - or called runs for that matter - the injuries occurred on scrambles.

I just hope Trent does not go down for any length of time.

Amen to that.

I agree, and I can't imagine--since we finally have a franchise QB--a very special one at that, who experienced major injuries (concussion and knee) in just his first season--why OL, specifically tackle, wasn't our utmost, top priority.....

See Mara, J. for having us approach two successive off-season's with a multitude of holes to fill and one hand tied behind our back.

See also Compton and now, hopefully, Nixon as the developing long term tackle core along with Trent through Roberts career. (And anyone above and beyond them talent wise we may add when we are back on a level playing field.).

We'll be just fine at OT going forward, even if we do have to mix and match for one more season. 10's far more durable than the mediots would have you believe. And now he's working on playing smarter whilst still not limiting his unique World class sprinting threat with his legs. he'll be just fine going forward too. The mistruths in the media about how he should be used, how he got injured, and his long term health are nothing shy of scaremongering

Hail.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article about Trent Williams' Night Club Incident two days before the Pro Bowl:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/05/23/trent-williams-on-nightclub-attack-im-over-it/

Washington Redskins left tackle Trent Williams said that he has moved on from the January incident in which he was attacked in a Honolulu night club and had to miss the first Pro Bowl of his career....

“It was an unfortunate situation, a situation that I really couldn’t control. It was out of my hands. I was a victim,” Williams said. “I didn’t really have nothing to do with the situation. It was good that the NFL recognized that and still let me be a part of the game and not play, but be able to participate on the sideline. It was an unfortunate situation but I had a good experience overall.”

Asked what exactly happened that night, Williams said, “A lot of commotion happened. I wasn’t part of it, but me obviously being an NFL player, we were kind of targeted. I was sitting there and next thing you know, I was hit with a bottle. That’s about it. … It was pretty disappointing [not to play in the Pro Bowl], but I met a lot of great guys out there. They kind of picked me up during the tough time, so it was cool. It really wasn’t a big deal to me.”

Article on Will Montgomery:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/5/23/4336074/redskins-offensive-improvements-will-montgomery

Will Montgomery may have been the most improved Redskin in 2012. He was one of the best centers in the NFL last year but in order to take that next step he has to improve his ability to snap the football...

Now consider the infamous day in Seattle. Lost among the "blame game" contestants is Will Montgomery. People blame Griffin for forcing it, Shanahan for "wrecking the Ferrari," and Dan Snyder for not investing enough money into maintaining FedEx field's grass. However, it was Will Montgomery's poor snap at Griffin's feet that forced him to go down awkwardly to get the ball. If that snap hits him in the hands, who knows what we would be talking about right now...

Make sure to click the second link for more...

Having said that, all season long I had been freaking out about Montgomery's lack of snapping ability. He rainbows the snap back. Snapping isn't a difficult action. It's actually quite easy, especially for a professional. I don't understand that part of his game, and I agree that it is his largest weakness. There is some positive in the article as well, and it's stuff we've touched on here, but this part is VERY important to note. It drove me friggin' nuts.

The pistol formations proly help Monty out too, he doesn't have to snap it as far.

I highly suggest reading the article, DG, it's actually a lot of great points that I noticed. The pistol really didn't help him much at all. He was a rainbow snap/erratic snapper in pistol as well. It's my biggest worry with him. Always has been.

Logically, I would tend to agree with you, though. Which makes it really odd that it didn't happen that way.

Good find KD, I think that Monty had a good year but distinctly remember several WTF? moments from his snaps, had a couple flashbacks to footballs hitting Romo sits to pee in the face, wasn't fun at all.

What do you think, do we need a center upgrade/move Monty to guard maybe, or is it a coachable thing? I would think that a center, any center, would have the snapping down and if not, then that's a really troubling thing.

What do you think, do we need a center upgrade/move Monty to guard maybe, or is it a coachable thing? I would think that a center, any center, would have the snapping down and if not, then that's a really troubling thing.

It should be coachable, but if he doesn't have the ability to snap we're looking at a problem. Sometimes people can't be coached out of their inabilities, although that is extremely rare for a professional athlete, but it does happen. I think he can learn to get the snap back there with some extra reps. I'm kind of curious how he's holding the ball and I wish I had some film to see it. It's probably an easy fix that I'm sure Coach Foerster has already started the wheels moving on.

I don't see any value in Monty as a guard for us, to be honest. So he needs to straighten this issue out.

Archived