Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trench Warfare - Line Talk (Update: Matthews added, Wilborn released)

KDawg

I call for this heathen to be kicked out of the thread and publicly stoned for going against his OWN thread rules and talking about the pouncy glamour guys and not the REAL men on a football team.

Ban him! Ban him NOW!

Hail.

I was merely naysaying one of the non tough guy nancies that play a position other than the most manly. :ols:

I call for this heathen to be kicked out of the thread and publicly stoned for going against his OWN thread rules and talking about the pouncy glamour guys and not the REAL men on a football team.

Pouncy glamour guys? Poncy is what you mean me thinks - though as an ex QB I did my bit to disprove the glamour bit of that analogy ...

So, who are the mortal locks to make the OL? I think the only one is Trent, right? Each other starter from last year has some possibility of being beaten out.

That's probably a pretty good situation to be in.

Question, however: The OL as it was constituted last year, with Williams, Kory L. Monty, Chester and Polumbus helped create one of the most dynamic offenses, and the best rushing attack in the NFL. How many pieces of that do you really want to turn over in 1 off-season? They had pretty good chemistry, worked together for a year, and really came together.

I don't really have a problem flipping out guys, but the chemistry of the line is very important. And I'm not sure how much change you want, especially when the OL is no longer embarrassingly bad.

I think that the competition for RT is going to be pretty fierce, and my personal opinion is only one of Polumbus, Pashos and Trueblood makes the team.

You have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year guys, Gettis, Compton, LeRebius and Hurt who should all be challenging for playing time. But, do you really want to flip out 2-3 members of a productive offensive line? Teams spend decades building a coherent group. The 'Skins have one now. Does it make sense to change it around a lot?

I dunno. I'm in two minds. I don't mind flipping Chester for LeRebius in a vacuum. But I have a bit of a problem doing that, and adding a new RT. Maybe that's fine if Josh or Hurt beats out Chester.

But, wouldn't some stability be pretty important?

The biggest headscratching move of the off-season was re-signing Kory L. If they hadn't done that, then there's an open spot no matter what. But when they re-signed him, you've got to think that he's penciled in as a starter. And Chester certainly hasn't done anything in his time here to give you reason that he shouldn't be a starter.

So, it's a little odd. A good position to be in, I guess. It wasn't that long ago that they were picking up guards off the street to start in games because they had NO depth. But, it's a little odd.

Who are you, Joe Theisman? :ols:

I wore the same number. There the similarity ended I'm afraid :(

---------- Post added May-7th-2013 at 07:40 AM ----------

So, who are the mortal locks to make the OL? I think the only one is Trent, right?

I think Monty is a lock as well personally.

So, it's a little odd. A good position to be in, I guess. It wasn't that long ago that they were picking up guards off the street to start in games because they had NO depth. But, it's a little odd.

In the OP, I detailed pretty much every one of these questions with my thought process if you want to check that out :)

So I'm lazy and haven't read this whole thread...

What are the thoughts on the un-drafted guy Nixon? I hear he's raw and has consistency issues. If the latter is corrected then he could turn into a good player. Is this about right?

What are the thoughts on the un-drafted guy Nixon? I hear he's raw and has consistency issues. If the latter is corrected then he could turn into a good player. Is this about right?

I wouldn't say he's raw. I'd say he's inconsistent. He relies too much on his reach at times and gets himself into trouble. He has high upside.

I wouldn't say he's raw. I'd say he's inconsistent. He relies too much on his reach at times and gets himself into trouble. He has high upside.

So if coached up right, he could maybe make the roster. I'm intrigued b/c he's a big big fella, and can really help out the right side. I'm sure he has tons of potential and has probably gone against some really good DE's from the SEC. Hope it works out for him.

The write ups suggest Nixon is also a guy who has not had a great work ethic. It seems he was a dominating player in High School based on his physical tools but has not put in the work in the weight room or practice field in College to improve his technique. He has great physical tools and if the light goes on and he puts in the work on and off the field he needs he clearly has potential - whether he is willing to put in that work is another question.

The write ups suggest Nixon is also a guy who has not had a great work ethic. It seems he was a dominating player in High School based on his physical tools but has not put in the work in the weight room or practice field in College to improve his technique. He has great physical tools and if the light goes on and he puts in the work on and off the field he needs he clearly has potential - whether he is willing to put in that work is another question.

Set out the right way here. And he seems to have a chip on his shoulder at going undrafted that will motivate him to succeed.

Taking him with a completely clean slate now he's amongst pro-athletes, pro-coaches and in a pro-organisation that will be on him to work his ass off and fulfill his undoubted potential.

Hail.

In the OP, I detailed pretty much every one of these questions with my thought process if you want to check that out :)

I've read the OP, and it's a great breakdown.

I guess the question that I didn't see specifically addressed was chemistry. We all tend to look at each individual battle. But what happens if somehow LeRibius, Hurt and Pashos (I'm just picking one of the RTs at random) all end up "winning" a camp battle. Would it be destructive to the OL to replace that many pieces all at once? Or do you just go with the best player at each position, and assume that they will develop the type of chemistry that the group had last year.

If you addressed this, then I missed it, and I'm sorry.

I guess the question that I didn't see specifically addressed was chemistry. We all tend to look at each individual battle. But what happens if somehow LeRibius, Hurt and Pashos (I'm just picking one of the RTs at random) all end up "winning" a camp battle. Would it be destructive to the OL to replace that many pieces all at once? Or do you just go with the best player at each position, and assume that they will develop the type of chemistry that the group had last year.

Let's flip and expand that .....

If we're looking beyond this year, wouldn't it be better to get the likes of Compton, LeRibeus, Gettis and Hurt playing time now and allowing them to grow with all the other young pieces being assembled on offense? Presuming the Coaches felt they were ready to take the next step, and those guys are definitely being groomed for the next decade or so; wouldn't it be better getting the next generation of chemistry and understanding started. Even if it came at the expense of some on field mishaps in 2013 as they learnt and grew together?

Hail.

First, no need to apologize. Chemistry is very important, but a group of guys can come together right away and click. Or they may need time to gel, or they may never come together. It's something that's noticeable right away. Different combinations of players may have chemistry with one another that we don't know of yet.

I think the best man should win in each battle, but known in-game factors need to play a significant role in the process. If Tom Compton is going to unseat Polumbus, he needs to prove he's head and shoulders and torso better than him. At the point, you get the line reps together to make them gel.

Honestly, I don't think you're going to see crazy changes up front. I don't believe Compton is going to start at RT week one, and I think Pashos or Trueblood have an opportunity but it's unlikely they win that role. I see Polumbus starting there unless, again, Compton is that much better. I think the real thing to look at is the RG position. If Gettis or LeRibeus show they can start there (Or even Maurice Hurt) you may see a changing of the guard at the position. That's the position that I see as the most "open" despite how good Chester has been for us. Chester's lack of versatility and slightly higher age make him the most susceptible to losing a job. Having said that, I think as long as everyone is healthy the OL starts off being the same as last year...

The 'Skins can and will make changes if someone shows that they aren't playing up to par and they feel they have an adequate player in place.

So while I think Compton/Gettis/LeRibeus/Hurt could challenge for playing time, I don't believe it's at the start of the year. For the very reason you talked about, chemistry. I can bet you, though, if they see a switch may be happening, the guy who they plan on playing more often will start getting a lot more practice reps with the first unit to create a chemistry.

So KDawg / anyone else, on the D-Line, do you think Jenkins will still start, or go back to being a 4th man type of guy? You know, maybe not starting but sees significant action each game.

---------- Post added May-7th-2013 at 10:48 AM ----------

Good thread BTW. I love the Trenches talk. Is it wrong to occasionally bring up the LBs? I consider them and TE's both "kinda" trench players. I guess specifically, it's the run stopping LBs and the blocking TEs rather than the coverage LBs and receiving TEs that I consider "in the trenches".

So KDawg / anyone else, on the D-Line, do you think Jenkins will still start, or go back to being a 4th man type of guy? You know, maybe not starting but sees significant action each game.

Defensive lines are so rotational that I don't think the label of "starter" matters anywhere near as much. I think all four of the "major" DL will see solid playing time.

Is it wrong to occasionally bring up the LBs?

You're sliding down a slippery path, my friend. But LBs can be considered manly, I suppose. But only on an occasional basis, damnit! :ols:

Still narks the living piss out of me that my favourite all time Redskin (although 10 is fast making me rethink that), and one of the greatest OL men of all time IMHO, Jake Jacoby is still waiting to get in Canton.

It's criminal to think that only Russ is enshrined in the HoF. Criminal.

Hail.

I think this is the year where our pass rush beasts out.

Cofield is going to be in his third year as NT.

Carriker, Orakpo, and Neild are coming back.

Jenkins is in his third year (2nd from injury).

Kerrigan could take a huge leap this year.

But the most important thing is probably the improvement of the secondary (Only mentioned because they help the DL.)

I am expecting big numbers for our pass rush this year.

Still narks the living piss out of me that my favourite all time Redskin (although 10 is fast making me rethink that), and one of the greatest OL men of all time IMHO, Jake Jacoby is still waiting to get in Canton.

It's criminal to think that only Russ is enshrined in the HoF. Criminal.

Hail.

Ahmen to that - the most dominating O'Line in NFL history and only one member in the HOF? Makes no sense.

I thought both Jacoby and Jim Lachey were on the nomination list for 2013? By the way Lachey was even better than Jacoby!

Defensive lines are so rotational that I don't think the label of "starter" matters anywhere near as much. I think all four of the "major" DL will see solid playing time.

You're sliding down a slippery path, my friend. But LBs can be considered manly, I suppose. But only on an occasional basis, damnit! :ols:

:)

chris_hanburger_display_image.jpg?1296851317

Ahmen to that - the most dominating O'Line in NFL history and only one member in the HOF? Makes no sense.

I thought both Jacoby and Jim Lachey were on the nomination list for 2013? By the way Lachey was even better than Jacoby!

Totally criminal! Jacoby needs to be in the HOF like a few years ago! Cryin' shame it a'int happened yet.

Speaking of hogs...lets not forget my man Jeff Bostic.

That entire Hogs OL was extremely formidable. And since them, I'm not sure how many offensive linemen we've had that would even qualify as good backups to them...

Samuels, Williams, Jansen, Tre?

---------- Post added May-7th-2013 at 11:10 AM ----------

I think this is the year where our pass rush beasts out.

Cofield is going to be in his third year as NT.

Carriker, Orakpo, and Neild are coming back.

Jenkins is in his third year (2nd from injury).

Kerrigan could take a huge leap this year.

But the most important thing is probably the improvement of the secondary (Only mentioned because they help the DL.)

I am expecting big numbers for our pass rush this year.

It's certainly a very real possibility. But also keep in mind that those little guys in the secondary (and their coverage LB counterparts) will also improve the pass rush. It's a total team concept. We should be better this year, but let's see how it plays out.

Best pure edge rusher on the team hasn't ever played a single down in the pro's as yet. If you think Orakpo is verging on elite, wait until you see Jenkins out there.

Feel free to quote me on that as we go.

Hail.

I love when you stand out on a limb, GHH! Tons of respect for that. I'm hoping that limb doesn't collapse on you :)

Archived