Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trench Warfare - Line Talk (Update: Matthews added, Wilborn released)

KDawg

While I've never played for him, his gameplan on a week to week basis is obviously this, and I absolutely agree with your assessment. But I'll even one up you... If Cousins came in a bit earlier, that slight threat of a pass and some good play calling could have kept us ahead in that game. But I digress.

I agree 100%. Only complaint about Shanny last year is keeping RGIII in after that 2nd TD. Everyone knew something wasn't right. Cousins couldn't have done any worse from that point on.

So, if Trent Williams goes down to injury or another substance abuse punishment, who replaces him and how does it affect our offense (in terms of production)?

Losing your LT is about as bad as losing your QB. You only have one elite one if your lucky and at best, his backup is a question mark.

Do we have ANY reviews, such as a rookie mini-camp throws up, on Nixon over the weekend?

Haven't seen anything so far.

Losing your LT is about as bad as losing your QB. You only have one elite one if your lucky and at best, his backup is a question mark.

Yup. You can't just replace your franchise LT. Just about every team in the NFL, save a few, are in trouble if their starting LT goes down for any reason.

---------- Post added May-6th-2013 at 08:00 AM ----------

Source: Redskins.com

•It is particularly difficult to assess the play of offensive linemen and running backs in non-contact drills, but offensive tackle Xavier Nixon and running back Jawan Jamison had plenty of opportunities to impress this weekend.

•Nixon talked to the media after practice and said he would approach rookie mini-camp with the same intensity whether he was drafted No. 1 overall or went undrafted, but said his undrafted status will give him that little extra motivation.

•Nixon said the coaching staff told him upon signing him that he fit well into the Redskins' zone blocking scheme based on experience at Florida, as well as his natural footwork and athleticism. Said he has experience at left and right tackle and feels like Washington is a perfect fit to latch on.

Source: http://news.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2013/05/05/after-going-undrafted-xavier-nixon-focused-on-the-future/

Somewhat familiar with zone blocking from his time in college, Nixon said he adapted quickly to what he was asked to do for the Redskins this past weekend. He said the coaches praised his athleticism, his footwork, his speed and his agility, which gives him the confidence that he can succeed with the team.

More on Nixon:

Source: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/xavier-nixon?id=2539222

Strengths

Presents a long, athletic build, and when balanced, he can utilize that length and his lateral agility to maintain distance with edge rushers. Anchors against bull rushes fairly well considering athletic build. Also get leverage and movement on run plays by dropping his hips, extending his arms, and churning his legs to push him man backwards a couple of yards. Had excellent moments as a pass protector against great defensive linemen in the SEC. Athleticism to get to the second level and track moving targets. Flashes the ability to get out in front of off-tackle runs, and his long arms can knock aside oncoming defenders even if he’s not mirroring them.

Weaknesses

Gets in trouble relying too much on his reach, however, and not moving his feet to cut off the corner and inside lane in pass protection. Known for whiffing on his strong punch against better players, and is also apt to lean into his man, opening the door for better opponents to rip down and get free of his grasp. Length is negated by lack of technique. Gets off the ball late at times. His height and sometimes lumbering gait also makes him susceptible to quickness moves from defenders to shed, even after he makes contact. Will give up on plays after initial contact is made. Soft build and has struggled to maintain weight. Has shuffled in and out of the lineup over his career due to injuries and inconsistency.

NFL Comparison Demetress Bell

Bottom Line

Nixon was a high school All-American and has started at least five games every year he’s been in Gainesville, He has always had the length and the athleticism to be a starting tackle in the NFL. Consistency has always been a major issue for Nixon, and his senior campaign was no different. He didn’t vastly improve from a technique standpoint, and doesn’t fully utilize his length, athleticism, and surprising strength. A team will likely take a gamble on him in the late rounds, hoping to light a fire under him and get the most out of his potential.

Here's NFL.com's grading system. He was graded by them as a 67.2:

70-84 Eventual Starter 2nd-3rd A quality player who will contribute to the team early on and is expected to develop into a starter. A reliable player who brings value to the position.

50-69 Draftable Player 4th-7th A prospect with the ability to make team as a backup/role player. Needs to be a special teams contributor at applicable positions. Players in the high range of this category might have long-term potential.

Sounds like they're going to give him every opportunity to succeed, but he's going to need an outstanding performance to land on the roster.

Thanks greatly for the find Coach.

I'm pulling so hard for this guy, and Nixon looks to of started off with the perfect attitude. If he sticks, it will be HUGE for our long term tackle situation.

Hail.

Added more stuff on Nixon above. Sounds like a guy who could latch on, but has to find some consistency. I haven't seen a ton of film on him, but his reach is incredible. But that's also an issue for him. I like him though. We'll see.

Do we have ANY reviews, such as a rookie mini-camp throws up, on Nixon over the weekend?

Searching and drawing a frustrating blank. :(

Hail.

Yeah I see nothing but a fluff piece from Sunday on where he was not picked. bummer, would love to know how he did. has to have some potential for NFL play.

Thanks KDawg just read all the Nixon stuff, I thought he was a four year starter? not shuffled in and out. oh well. Hope he gets coached up.

Added more stuff on Nixon above. Sounds like a guy who could latch on, but has to find some consistency. I haven't seen a ton of film on him, but his reach is incredible. But that's also an issue for him. I like him though. We'll see.

Pretty much exactly what I've been saying since we picked him up. Kids got great potential, and fits perfectly here. To have the starts at left tackle he's had against SEC rushes says it all. Hard not to love his intangibles. As I said above, love that he's started out on the right foot with the perfect attitude to work hard and succeed. With better coaching from Coach Foerster and co, hopefully he'll add the consistency to his undoubted potential.

A core three of Trent, Compton and Nixon, all 24 and under, would be a huge boost for our tackle group. And hopefully put to rest a lot of folks, in many cases, OTT fears about the position going forward.

Hail.

Before last year I bemoaned this group a lot, the overall lack of strength and in Cory's case the lack of size.Soo many times I have seen him man handled and picked up and moved around , almost carried around like a rag doll. He struggles most against defensive teams like the Steelers and the Ravens, and the Browns. Teams that have a huge inside presence like the AFC North, I wanted Montgomery replaced in the worst way as well as Corry L. . I have seen this team pass on dominant centers time and time again and next off season Mack of the Browns will be a free agent unless the Browns can resign him.I wanted Mangold but passed and Mack went a lot earlier than expected to the Browns.We need to get bigger and stronger as well as fast/speed quickness.Untill last year we struggled mightly with short yardage plays and goalline plays.I wanted us to draft the center out of Cal Sweinke, two reasons.He a plug and play kind of player and would have been much cheaper. Cory while playing very well last year is too small over all to me and needs to be replaced.I also wanted the Redskins to go after RT Eric Winston, and maybe they still will but from my view they haven't given him a sniff.as good as they played last year can they do it again with the level of talent we are playing week to week going up considerably.Injuries and this one question will be answered, and will hold the answer to how successful we will be as a team.my prognostication for starting oline is Lt Williams, Lg Leruibus, C Montgomery, RG Chester, RT Polumbus. the dline is fine except the size of Coefield.I have no problem with the way Coefiled has played the position or anything other than his lack of size. Normally the nose tackle of a 3-4 is at least 330 to 350 pounds. I'm not sure but he was listed at 305 when he started at the position and i'm not sure what he is now.Baker is 330 to 340 and has his advantages over Coefield in his ability to plug the middle. I also have wanted to try De's like Micheal Johnson of the Bengals at our de's positions. Someone much taller, much quicker and athletic and a disrupter of passing lanes.On clear passing downs it would interesting if not down right awesome to see. That's why those that said we would draft the DE from SMU Hunt who is 6"8 275 pounds and soo much faster, quicker than our DE's at present. Would have been interesting to see.HTTR

I wonder how most teams plan for this. Do you hope that your starting RT can make the switch to LT, or do you groom the backup LT to be the guy who steps in?

I'm going to assume that the starting RT is slightly better than the backup LT, since if that weren't true you'd move the backup LT to RT, correct? That being the case, wouldn't you have a tough decision here?

I wonder how most teams plan for this. Do you hope that your starting RT can make the switch to LT, or do you groom the backup LT to be the guy who steps in?

I'm going to assume that the starting RT is slightly better than the backup LT, since if that weren't true you'd move the backup LT to RT, correct? That being the case, wouldn't you have a tough decision here?

It differs from team to team. Some teams will slide their RT over, sure. But sometimes a RT is a RT because they struggle moving to the left... In those situations, the team would be better off putting someone else at LT because a move from RT to LT would cause two weaknesses on the OL rather than one.

All depends on personnel.

It differs from team to team. Some teams will slide their RT over, sure. But sometimes a RT is a RT because they struggle moving to the left... In those situations, the team would be better off putting someone else at LT because a move from RT to LT would cause two weaknesses on the OL rather than one.

All depends on personnel.

Which is why Hurt is not a backup LT. If he has to play there and does well (knock on wood that this never happens) I'll be ecstatic... but he's a GOOD guard and a decent backup at RT, but hopefully he'll never have to make a living out there.

I've always wondered if teams with lefty QBs treat their RT like other teams treat their LT.

We keep hearing how Vick's LT is one of the best in the league, but shouldn't his RT be more important, since Vick's blindside is the right side of the OL?

Which is why Hurt is not a backup LT. If he has to play there and does well (knock on wood that this never happens) I'll be ecstatic... but he's a GOOD guard and a decent backup at RT, but hopefully he'll never have to make a living out there.

Even more reason why folk should be pulling for Nixon who has lots of experience at LT in the dominant SEC.

Hail.

I've always wondered if teams with lefty QBs treat their RT like other teams treat their LT.

We keep hearing how Vick's LT is one of the best in the league, but shouldn't his RT be more important, since Vick's blindside is the right side of the OL?

Yes. I would. Problem being is that your backups are right handers... And Vick is injury prone. So now you have yourself a pickle. :ols:

Even more reason why folk should be pulling for Nixon who has lots of experience at LT in the dominant SEC.

Hail.

We'll know soon enough if the staff really likes Compton. He can play both as well and had great measurables coming out of an FBS school. I think you can sneak Nixon on to the practice squad early in the season, but you have to have Mo Hurt on the 53 because he can play 3 positions on the offensive line unless you keep two PURE tackles to back up. So if Nixon and Compton make it, then in all likelihood Ribs and Gettis are your backups and Hurt gets the shaft (unless you are cutting Chester).

This gets confusing quickly with all of the moving pieces, but I will say I don't feel safe at all with Hurt being slated as a back-up left tackle. I'd feel fine with Compton if the coaches think he's good.

I've already lost Chester DC9 my good man. Presuming he's developed as we hope through the first years experience, I have LeRibeus stepping up to start alongside Kory, with Gettis and Hurt backing up. Williams,, Compton and Pashos for his experience are the tackles I have them keeping as of now. But Nixon adds a whole new slant to that dependent on how quickly he impresses. I honestly wouldn't see him lasting long on the PS, so hopefully he'll give the brass a VERY tough decision come final cut time.

I honestly think this is the year across the board we really start hammering down the long term, whilst still trying to win now. But then I also have us only keeping 8 OL, with swing guard/ centre/ tackles making up the numbers which is against the common concensus in this thread so what would I know?

Hail.

Also if you're still around reading Coach, as I answered on Alex Mack above; one thing that always amused me when he came out was a knock on his athleticism. Now I'll bow to your better judgement if I'm off base here, but does it really matter if a centers athletic or not? I mean obviously you want them to be more than just a hulk in a ZBS system and at least be able to get off the ball fast and pull, but when you have a beast like Mack who can get to the second level easily enough with his strength, are people over analysing when they come to athleticism and centers?

Yes. I would. Problem being is that your backups are right handers... And Vick is injury prone. So now you have yourself a pickle. :ols:

That's true, and I was thinking that I was typing it up. The obvious answer is to find yourself a stud LT AND a stud RT. Because as we all know, quality bookends just fall from trees ;)

Don't know if the Eagles do this, but if I were in that situation, I would slide protect to the right to help out my RT, and leave my LT on an island, if he's as good as advertised. Sure, he'll get beat from time to time, but Vick is mobile enough to see that and escape when that happens.

Hail.

Also if you're still around reading Coach, as I answered on Alex Mack above; one thing that always amused me when he came out was a knock on his athleticism. Now I'll bow to your better judgement if I'm off base here, but does it really matter if a centers athletic or not? I mean obviously you want them to be more than just a hulk in a ZBS system and at least be able to get off the ball fast and pull, but when you have a beast like Mack who can get to the second level easily enough with his strength, are people over analysing when they come to athleticism and centers?

I'd say athleticism matters in a ZBS no matter the position. Center is an odd beast. You have to snap the ball and immediately fire your hands if you're responsible for a shade technique. It's actually a tough skillset to master. In HS, I combat that issue with having the guard help on a shade technique unless that guard is also covered. It alleviates some of the athleticism issues at least in that aspect.

You can't get to the second level with strength... You have to be smart and quick with your progressions. An OL can't just release to level two, even if uncovered. They have to be sure there's no spike from a DL into their gap/lane first. So they have to be aware of anything and everything that's happening up front.

So because of the reads and such, getting to level two is an athletic proposition. You have to be quick/nimble to get there consistently and effectively.

Having said that, athleticism for an OL can be defined a bit differently than a DB.

Quick feet, good hips and fluid movement along with a football IQ can give you a major advantage. You don't have to be running fast, you just have to be football fast. And football speed coincides with IQ, hips and feet.

I've already lost Chester DC9 my good man. Presuming he's developed as we hope through the first years experience, I have LeRibeus stepping up to start alongside Kory, with Gettis and Hurt backing up. Williams,, Compton and Pashos for his experience are the tackles I have them keeping as of now. But Nixon adds a whole new slant to that dependent on how quickly he impresses. I honestly wouldn't see him lasting long on the PS, so hopefully he'll give the brass a VERY tough decision come final cut time.

I'm a fan of that. That's pretty close to best case scenario for me. It's going to be tough losing a guy like Chester, but to your next point... there is a reason....

I honestly think this is the year across the board we really start hammering down the long term, whilst still trying to win now. But then I also have us only keeping 8 OL, with swing guard/ centre/ tackles making up the numbers which is against the common concensus in this thread so what would I know?

That's the key for me. If that's what we are doing, then Chester is gone. You save a little bit of money long term and you start getting the kids out there that are going to win you a Super Bowl. This will happen in a few positions, offensive line is one and front seven (sans 59) and running back are certainly the others for me.

I had us keeping 8, too, but I'm more along the thinking of nine since KD has talked me into it. It makes sense.

Personally though, I think (unless he shows well in the pre-season) that we will be able to sneak Nixon onto the practice squad for at least the first part of the season. He could be a call up if there are injuries, etc. But the thick veteran tackle market (as of now, anyways) will allow us some flexibility. But as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, my thinking is along the same lines as yours. If this is the year that Shanny wants to play the youngins, we'll see more turnover than expected. If he wants to ride last years line for one more year, there is probably only a spot or two to be had.

Nice to see some Mo Hurt love in this thread. He's nearly as wide as he is tall and putting Hurt next to Trent would make the left side of our line huge. If his pass blocking skills are good enough for him to play RT he could make a dominant side of the line paired with Trent.

I'm also hopeful Leribues takes the OC starting role. Montgomery doesn't get to the second level in the run game, and gets pushed back at times in pass pro. Some size a top the quick feet inside will help in the short yardage game (big and fast is better than small and fast, even in Mike's ZBS) so Hurt and Leribues are my hopefuls.

Right now I'd guess at our game 1 starters being Trent/Kory/Monty/Chester/Compton. By the end of the season the OL will be 50lbs + heavier with Hurt and Leribues working into the starting line.

I'm like many and assuming Compton is the swing and a hit follow up to the Capers swing and a miss. Polombus, Pashos and Trueblood look a much better group fighting it out with Nixon for the back up OT spots than they do the starting gig for game 1.

At this point we have a great LT and decent/good production from the interior OL. Just add a starter quality RT that can pass protect sets us up with as good a chance as any one to win it all.

Hopefully Nixon gets the coaching he needs to improve the technique and become consistent. I do think our lower round picking has improved as our scouts have learned what the FO wants player wise. This years crop appear incredibly talented, but that appears to have been the theme of the draft for our picks as a whole.

Our DL is looking very good against the run, like it's supposed to, but needs a high draft pick in a year or two spent on it to keep it going. Carriker back with Jenkins having an extra year to hopefully get back to knocking everyone over should be an improvement player wise as well as the group as a whole not being old and benefiting from another year in the system.

I think our DL is the strongest position group on that side of the ball and we've added some potential pass rush too so while a lot of focus will rightly be on the O as a whole and RGIII as a person, I'm very much looking forward to how we man handle opposing QBs and RBs with our front 7. We've got a lot of still young talent in our front 5, just like it should be.

Mike has been consistent in spending FA dollars as well as the full range of draft picks on both front 5s. Year 5 will be night and day when put next to year 1. Amazing turn around despite the salary cap issues. Only QB has had more love to this point which big picture makes this Redskin fan happy. The guy calling the shots gets it :ols:

What's Trent's next contract going to be?

Right now I'd guess at our game 1 starters being Trent/Kory/Monty/Chester/Compton. By the end of the season the OL will be 50lbs + heavier with Hurt and Leribues working into the starting line.

I just don't see a guy who didn't even see the field last year jumping in as our starting RT unless something happens injury wise. My assumption, and it is only that, is that Polumbus, Trueblood and Pashos are all here to make sure that we have a competent starter at RT, and to cover for injuries. If Polumbus goes down, we have players who can step in and play. I don't think the idea is for Compton to begin the year as our starting RT. But I think he could end there, if they like what they see enough and the RT spot isn't anchored down.

I think our DL is the strongest position group on that side of the ball

Unfortunately, I think our OLB crew is the strongest position on the team and not our DL :(

Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Rob Jackson and Brandon Jenkins could be formidable.

What's Trent's next contract going to be?

Whatever it is, pay the man. He needs some more time, and he needs to prove he can stay off the marijuana... But in the end I think he's going to go down as being better than Chris Samuels. And that's saying a LOT.

My gut has been wrong before like when I thought Landry Jones was good, lol.

You left off the part that your gut was wrong about. I corrected it for you. You're welcome :)

..... You left off the part that your gut was wrong about. I corrected it for you. You're welcome :)

I call for this heathen to be kicked out of the thread and publicly stoned for going against his OWN thread rules and talking about the pouncy glamour guys and not the REAL men on a football team.

Ban him! Ban him NOW!

Hail.

Archived