Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trench Warfare - Line Talk (Update: Matthews added, Wilborn released)

KDawg

That entire Hogs OL was extremely formidable. And since them, I'm not sure how many offensive linemen we've had that would even qualify as good backups to them...

Samuels, Williams, Jansen, Tre?

I'd take Chris Samuels over Mark May as the RT before Lachey came and we moved Jacoby to RT. Williams might play himself into that kind of company by the time he is done but not yet - no one else since the mid 90's comes close IMO.

I'd take Chris Samuels over Mark May as the RT before Lachey came and we moved Jacoby to RT. Williams might play himself into that kind of company by the time he is done but not yet - no one else since the mid 90's comes close IMO.

I was talking backups as well.

Of our OL since then, I'd say only Samuels and Williams may have found themselves in a starting role. Agreed.

Jansen could have fit as a relatively sound backup. He was good for us for a long time.

And why are we even trying to debate which was better again?

Thats a fair question - you could not go wrong with either guy and they both should be HOF. But Jim Lachey was just on another level as a LT.

---------- Post added May-7th-2013 at 10:15 AM ----------

I was talking backups as well.

Of our OL since then, I'd say only Samuels and Williams may have found themselves in a starting role. Agreed.

Jansen could have fit as a relatively sound backup. He was good for us for a long time.

As backups Jansen could have made the roster, Tre Johnson maybe at guard as would have been a good fit in a power blocking scheme but after that ......we got nothing!

Best pure edge rusher on the team hasn't ever played a single down in the pro's as yet. If you think Orakpo is verging on elite, wait until you see Jenkins out there.

Feel free to quote me on that as we go.

Hail.

QFT

People just don't know yet what we got in the 5th w/ Jenkins, if he can get past the injury and return to his previous form he is going to make some jaws drop.

You know me NLC man. Always been a balls out there, heart on sleeve, stand behind my convictions on what I believe in guy. However against the norm they may or may not be.

It's my heritage and the City's DNA. And Jenkins excited me like no other this past draft. Which was saying something as I loved the draft from top to bottom.

Feel free to revisit as we go to mock or ^5 whichever way it plays out.

Hail.

We've added former Titans center Kevin Matthews today through FA.

Can't see him being much more than camp folder, but it's line related so there you go.

Hail.

Can't stand those camp folders. I hope they switched to manilla this year :ols:

He's competition. They probably understood that as of now, Monty doesn't have much in the form of competition. Sure, you can say Lichtensteiger and LeRibeus, but I think those guys are really better suited as guards right now. That could change. Probably wanted Monty to see some direct competition and they brought in Matthews to do so. Should be interesting.

*Hangs head laughing ..... man I'm having a whale of a time the last few pages with my typos huh? I blame the slight on the Steelers future QB that threw me in anger. But that's another story .....

Meh, competition in name only. If Matthews comes close to consideration for a spot I shall personally bare my pasty white behind in a DC department store window of your choosing. *I may be confident on this one.:ols:

Hail.

If Matthews comes close to consideration for a spot I shall personally bare my pasty white behind in a DC department store window of your choosing. *I may be confident on this one.:ols:

Hail.

:rubeyes:

I think thats something DC is REALLY not ready for.

To make matters worse I think Matthews may well have a chance of making the 53 if he can show he could also play some guard as well as be a backup centre. If you mean a starting spot I think we are all on safer ground ....

More on Matthews:

Source: http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/center-kevin-matthews-signs-redskins

The Redskins have signed former Titans center Kevin Matthews, the team announced Tuesday.

Matthews, the son of Pro Football Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews and cousin of Packers linebacker Clay Matthews, appeared in 14 games for Tennessee from 2010-2012. Two of his three career starts came last season.

To make room for Matthews, the Redskins released center Kyle Wilborn, who was signed as a college free agent on May 2.

Kevin Matthews is listed at 6 foot 3, 302 pounds. The 26-year-old played collegiately at Texas A&M and was signed by the Titans as an undrafted free agent in 2010.

Matthews would presumably backup starter Will Montgomery, who was rated by ProFootballFocus as the NFL’s fifth best center in 2012, having allowed only one sack, two quarterback hits and nine hurries. Last season, starting left guard Kory Lichtensteiger served as the Redskins' backup center.

This also adds another element to the camp battle. It means someone like a Kory Lichtensteiger no longer has built in safety due to his versatility. Sure, his versatility is still a multiplier, but having a guy capable of backing up Montgomery right now gives the 'Skins more flexibility with their camp battles.

If Lichtensteiger isn't healthy, both he and Chester could find their way off the team. I doubt that happens...

This also adds another element to the camp battle. It means someone like a Kory Lichtensteiger no longer has built in safety due to his versatility. Sure, his versatility is still a multiplier, but having a guy capable of backing up Montgomery right now gives the 'Skins more flexibility with their camp battles.

If Lichtensteiger isn't healthy, both he and Chester could find their way off the team. I doubt that happens...

Pretty insightful post from a girls lacrosse coach :pfft:

Thanks, that didn't occur to me right off the bat but you're right, this doesn't push Monty anywhere near as much as the others, and IMO that's a good things. Complacency is a cancer, we need everyone bringing their A game.

Here's a question that I've always had, and I think that this is the best thread for it:

Why do we want to "wear the defense down?" I'm just thinking logistically that the offensive line would be doing just as much work as the defensive line, so wouldn't the offensive line get just as gassed?

Same with the no huddle. EVERYONE is going faster, so how does that present an advantage to the offense?

. . . can you tell that I've never played sports?

Sure KD will go into more depth NC man, but the short answer would be you know where you're going and what you're doing pre-snap. Always easier when you know what the play is rather than being the opposing linemen having to react to being pulled or rushed. Going no huddle just expands on that by keeping those big ol' D linemen on the field play after play, keeping them from being subbed for a breather. If you're hitting them with run blocks in particular and keeping them in the field, their gonna' fast tire out no matter how well prepared they are physically. Of course good endurance training for either set of guys helps too in either attacking or combating.

Now over to Coach for a more detailed rundown ..... :ols:

Hail.

Excellent thread. Sorry I am coming in late. Several thoughts:

1) I hope MS keeps 9 OL on the 53 roster.

2) Chemistry is very important to our OL So keeping the same starting 5 as last year is a given. I do not understand the downgrading of Chester. Consistent over the past several seasons. Rarely mentioned or seen in the broadcasts, which for an OL means he is doing a great job.

3) Compton was activated from the PS because another team was going to claim him. Does that mean MS thinks highly of him? I believe so; that is why he will be on the 53 roster, but as a back-up.

4) LeRibeus was active and played at the end of the year. That tells me that he will be primary back-up at G/C.

5) That leaves 2 openings. Hurt or Gettis will be one, and Trueblood or Pashos the other.

6) Nixon is PS. He might unseat Trueblood or Pashos. I would prefer him over the retreads, but I do not know how MS views this. MS might prefer the veteran, if he is confident of a deep playoff run. Future is NOW!

7) Isn't it great to be forced to make cut decisions with good players? We have come a long way, baby!

HTTR

Why do we want to "wear the defense down?" I'm just thinking logistically that the offensive line would be doing just as much work as the defensive line, so wouldn't the offensive line get just as gassed?

Same with the no huddle. EVERYONE is going faster, so how does that present an advantage to the offense?

Both teams lines will generally wear down, but the OL does a lot less chasing. The DL has to rip, swim, attack and chase a ball carrier. The OL locks on. They move downfield, sure, but they aren't in pursuit of a ball carrier. As it is, defensive lines sub out regularly in rotations due to the amount of energy expended on a play to play basis.

And, more importantly and the REAL answer for you, the term, "wear them down" isn't necessarily directed at physically tiring them out. It's a mental thing. You want to physically dominate a defensive line and a defense. Mentally break them. If you're picking up chunks of yards at a time, that defense is mentally on its heels.

Having said that, you have to be careful with that strategy. If you have a slow, methodical offense any mistake or turnover you have will be magnified due to how long you had the football. With a quick strike offense, you can still mentally break down a team and "wear them down."

Smashmouth football used to mean a methodical pace. It doesn't necessarily mean that any more. Smashmouth means you can gash a defense with the run for large chunks at a time, or methodically. You want to make them think. That causes their reactions to be quicker and more hurried, which builds physical fatigue and mental frustration. :)

Excellent thread. Sorry I am coming in late. Several thoughts:

1) I hope MS keeps 9 OL on the 53 roster.

Me too.

2) Chemistry is very important to our OL So keeping the same starting 5 as last year is a given. I do not understand the downgrading of Chester. Consistent over the past several seasons. Rarely mentioned or seen in the broadcasts, which for an OL means he is doing a great job.

I don't think anyone is naysaying Chester, in fact having read through this entire thread I see nothing but positive things about Chester. The point about him possibly being the odd man out isn't a knock on Chris' skill. It's more of a "who is most replaceable due to a variety of factors".

As a guard, Chester is better as a whole than Lichtensteiger. Lich is better at getting to level two, in my opinion, but Chester is better at the POA in the run game and I like his protection. He falls short in his lack of versatility and he's slightly (although not much) longer in the tooth. Having said that, I think he absolutely makes this football team and starts.

I think some people who are suggesting he doesn't start are caught up in the youth movement. They want to see the youth now, and I can understand that. But I'm a hockey and baseball fan, too. And sometimes I know that a prospect won't help for a number of years. They take time to develop. In the NFL, you don't have anywhere near as long to develop, but you can be given a few years to do so. We'll see as far as that goes. :)

Here's a question that I've always had, and I think that this is the best thread for it:

. . . can you tell that I've never played sports?

Generally, except when the play gets a TD, a successful play for the offense keeps them on the field while that is failure for the defense. Success brings success, failure brings failure.

NewCliche21---

To expound on Coach's (KDawg) explaination about "mentally" wearing a defense down, think of the 1982 NFC Championship game against the Cowboys. Russ Grimm was in the head of Randy White. Russ overode the playcall in the huddle and kept insisting on "50 Gut." He kept telling Randy it was coming his way (and it did), but there was nothing Randy could do about it. He was mentally whipped.

Archived