Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7 : Is the locker room strong enough to risk drafting Tyrann Mathieu?

Lavarleap56

Tyrann+Mathieu+Western+Kentucky+v+LSU+kuL9Zxqk7yfx-587x392.jpg

Just recently I was quick to dismiss the idea that the Redskins would use a high pick drafting a player like LSU’s Tyrann Mathieu. The team has stuck closely to the strategy of drafting high-character, senior classmen prospects and Mathieu fits neither criteria. What I did not take into account was who will be joining the redskins in the war room this April however. Current defensive backs coach Raheem Morris’s affinity for troubled players is no secret; he is, in fact, the man who drafted the likes of Aqib Talib and Tanard Jackson during his stint as head coach of Tampa Bay. That being said, it has recently surfaced that the newest apple of Raheem’s eye is none other than, you guessed it, Tyrann Mathieu. Morris apparently views Mathieu as the most talented nickel back in this years draft, and will be banging on the table for his selection when next weekend rolls around...

Read More: http://httr24-7.com/draft/is-the-locker-room-strong-enough-to-risk-drafting-tyrann-mathieu/

If we take him with a 4th round pick its worth the risk - he is a talented special teams player and someone who you can do a number of things with as a hybrid nickle back and some safety in zone coverages. If he screws up you did not lose too much in the pick or the contract. I would be very surprised and a little concerned if we took him any higher though and frankly I will be surprised if we take him at all - he just does not fit the mold of the kind of player Shanny has been picking.

1. R. Morris turned his unit the secondary into the team's strength this year

2. He proved in Tampa that Talib and T. Jackson were model citizens and ultimately trouble free

3. As a head coach, in his last season, Tampa was special -- great team

Ah, not. The secondary was for a time last season going to break the record for giving up the most passing yards in NFL history. The secondary he left in Tampa was arguably the only one that was worse. Talib and Jackson were problems with Jackson suspended for over 30 games his his career. In his last season at Tampa, the team was notoriously bad.

He seems like a great guy, has a lot of enthusiasm, got nothing against him. But I don't get what has earned him total trust.

1. R. Morris turned his unit the secondary into the team's strength this year

2. He proved in Tampa that Talib and T. Jackson were model citizens and ultimately trouble free

3. As a head coach, in his last season, Tampa was special -- great team

Ah, not. The secondary was for a time last season going to break the record for giving up the most passing yards in NFL history. The secondary he left in Tampa was arguably the only one that was worse. Talib and Jackson were problems with Jackson suspended for over 30 games his his career. In his last season at Tampa, the team was notoriously bad.

He seems like a great guy, has a lot of enthusiasm, got nothing against him. But I don't get what has earned him total trust.

Who knows, Morris might even be gone after this season to pursue other opportunities. That's no reason to ignore him for scouting, bu I wouldn't break the bank

Who knows, Morris might even be gone after this season to pursue other opportunities. That's no reason to ignore him for scouting, bu I wouldn't break the bank

I definitely wouldn't ignore Raheem when it comes to scouting, but one of the points Skinsinparadise brought up that I was also thinking about is that even though Rah has a history of taking troubled players he doesn't seem to have a history of turning them around. Talib and Jackson are both still troubled players and have been headaches for the teams they played for. I still wouldn't draft Mathieu before the 4rth round and even that is a stretch now after his "I stopped counting at 10 failed drug tests" stupidity.

For me, it's a simple risk/ reward scenario. And the 'Honey Badgers' sick talent out weighs the risk.

Would he be a risky pick? Absolutely. When he openly admits he 'quit counting at 10' when asked how many drug tests he'd failed at LSU, and honestly 'really didn't know' the actual number; then that's a major red flag there as to his attitude on the face of it. Throw in voluntarily checking himself into a rehab centre for all of 2 and a half weeks, then getting arrested for possession; and we'd be remiss not to ask if he's the right character to bring into our locker room. Not least given Trent and FreddieD's repeated liking for the same substance.

But honestly, I think that has far mor to do with a lax culture down in Baton Rouge than I do Matthieu being an addict who can't be cured. He appears just a normal college kid who got caught up in a party/ weed culture that LSU let slide until they had no choice but to act. No question a lot's on him. But he should of been receiving help way before it got to the dismissal stage. And by all accounts, he now openly wants to change. And yes, I know there's a pro future at stake, but I think the kid deserves a chance. There's a lot worse things out there than marijuana. And after our recent scares, surely it's paramount on the Coaches minds that they do trust both him and the locker room he'd be entering to keep him on the straight and narrow?

As an aside, I personally think he could contribute far more than just a nickel corner. Kids got limitless talent. Plays far bigger than his diminutive size to be one tough ill' SOB who's great in coverage against far bigger guys. And he makes plays.

Being a major position of need here, and Matthieu being potentially a major top level corner talent in thi pass happy league; yes, all things considered, I'd be real happy to see him here the end of the month.

Reward over risk. And if he's the best player on our board when we pick, I aren't going to criticise anyone at Redskins Park if they pull the trigger.

Hail.

But honestly, I think that has far mor to do with a lax culture down in Baton Rouge than I do Matthieu being an addict who can't be cured. He appears just a normal college kid who got caught up in a party/ weed culture that LSU let slide until they had no choice but to act. No question a lot's on him. But he should of been receiving help way before it got to the dismissal stage. And by all accounts, he now openly wants to change. And yes, I know there's a pro future at stake, but I think the kid deserves a chance. There's a lot worse things out there than marijuana. And after our recent scares, surely it's paramount on the Coaches minds that they do trust both him and the locker room he'd be entering to keep him on the straight and narrow?

Thing is, he's had multiple chances and the whole time he has known how huge of a deal it is that he get his head on straight. Failed tests at LSU, getting kicked off the team, rehab, getting caught again...none of those things seem to have been a big enough wake up call to get him to stop smoking weed. If none of that worked then what the hell will? I suppose one could hope that becoming a pro player might, but given his history it isn't a bet I'd take. He either has a serious addiction problem or he just doesn't give enough of a **** to keep himself clean over a long period of time. IMO any "risk/reward" equation when it comes to drafting him should assume and factor in the likelihood that he will get at least one drug related suspension early on.

As an aside, I personally think he could contribute far more than just a nickel corner. Kids got limitless talent. Plays far bigger than his diminutive size to be one tough ill' SOB who's great in coverage against far bigger guys. And he makes plays.

This, IMO, is overstated. Yes he has talent and yes he has good instincts and a nose for the ball but to say he has "limitless talent" and is "great in coverage" is a major stretch. He isn't a freakish athlete; his physical attributes are a bit closer to mediocre...he isn't all that fast or strong or explosive. In coverage he seems to be a mixed bag from what I've seen; will make a good play sometimes but will also get burned. Keep in mind that LSU generally used him in a pretty specific way, closer to the box and letting him roam a bit (something they could do given the big time talent they had overall in their secondary). He wasn't asked to man up on top WRs all that often. I have a hard time seeing him as an outside CB in the NFL, especially against the bigger wideouts...he just doesn't have the size/strength to jam them or the recovery speed to gamble.

Being a major position of need here, and Matthieu being potentially a major top level corner talent in thi pass happy league; yes, all things considered, I'd be real happy to see him here the end of the month.

I think we have a few guys who can play well in the slot and nickel. What we really need are outside guys who we can trust to man up on top WRs. I don't think TM is that type of DB.

Reward over risk. And if he's the best player on our board when we pick, I aren't going to criticise anyone at Redskins Park if they pull the trigger.

If Shanny and Bruce decide to go with him then great; I'll welcome him to the Skins. I trust that they would take everything into account when choosing to take that risk.

All subjective of course mistert, but I think you're doing his coverage ability a disservice.

He's a tough ass lil' so and so despite being undersized, and has the toughness to not only straight arm tackle bigger receivers, but knock them off balance. Wasn't he up the top of the college charts in forced fumbles for instance early? and I know he benefited frim Claiborne and Peterson, but it's his natural instincts that do it for me. He reads and reacts to situations real well IIRC, and has a real nose for the football. Ala London, undersized but just a natural ball player ya' know?

But of course, as we both note, it would be to our detriment to not seriously think about his drug issues.

But then without speaking to him and drilling him every which way, that's all conjecture as to what we think the future holds.

Again, all things considered I'd be very happy if the brass decide to take a chance on him. Time will out on whether they both do, and how it turns out.

Hail.

I wouldn't do it at pick #2. The problem with the #2 is that the team NEEDS a starter to come from that pick. Preferably in the secondary, but that has to be a day 1 contributor, and pretty quick starter.

I'm not sure that Mathieu is that guy, regardless of the red flags.

Now, when you get to the third or 4th round, it might make sense.

But, and I'll trust the scouting department on this, IF TM is the best guy on their board at that pick, and that's a big if, then I think that they could pick him, and trust that he'll stay out of trouble.

The other nice thing about the 'Skins now is that they know who's going to be in charge for quite a while. It's going to be Shanahan and Allen. The only way that changes is if Mike retires and Kyle takes over. Otherwise, Mike's here for a while. Which means no revolving door, which we've seen for the last 20 years. That also helps providing an atmosphere that TM might thrive in.

As I stated in another post on this and as another poster said here, Tyrann Mathieu doesn't get it. He isn't sorry about getting caught numerous times that he can't remember, getting thrown off the team, going to rehab for only two and a half weeks only to get caught again, and some people think he is more reward than risk must be smoking weed themselves. Did you see the interview that Jay Crawford of ESPN did with him? He sounded like he was high or the effects of it has seriously damaged his ability to talk correctly. He just seemed to me like he just dismissed all the worries as nothing. He seemed almost like he was smirking at the questions as almost to say "So what. I'll do it again and still be playing football for money." To me he just doesn't think it was serious and that it was all someone else's fault. Until he can show he is taking responsibility for his lack of judgement then Ithink we should pass. He will get suspended sooner than later no matter where he goes. Some players just don't get it and he is one of them.

Tyrann Mathieu was a good player surrounded by great-to-elite talent at LSU.

It's hard to get open versus Patrick Peterson and Mo Claibourne, block Mingo, Montgomery, Brockers, Nevis was there, you got Eric Reid as a potential late first round safety, Brandon Taylor, Kevin Minter. Tyrann played with all that first round talent his first two seasons at LSU.

I just don't trust him. On the field, or off. And I don't want all our players to be boy scouts, no one has been cheering for Bacarri Rambo louder than me, everyone knows how I feel about Fred Davis and D-Hall. But something about Tyrann unsettles me.

I trust the judgment of Shanny/Allen when it comes to drafting players. I just don't see this working out. Given his past mistakes and the fact that he would now have millions of dollars and too much free time on his hands would mean the risk is too high for me. It's a suspension waiting to happen.

I really have been torn on Tyrann for a couple months now. I love the way the guy plays and his fiery attitude on the field. He's a natural playmaker which I think make people overlook his natural talent at CB. It's no secret our organization has taken chances on players with troubled pasts. Some have worked out, some have bit us in the butt. I loved the way Fred and Trent stayed out of trouble this past year, but then Tanard Jackson gets busted for the whole year. I guess you could say that has left a bad taste in my mouth as far as troubled players goes going into the offseason.

I think I'll go into the draft still torn, butif we grab Tyrann I hope Trent, Fred (for their experiences) and Robert (it's his team now) sit him down and get his head right. All last year I said we need to get more athletes on defense and Tyrann is one of the most athletic guys in this draft, and also a damned good football player at a position of need.

I trust the judgment of Shanny/Allen when it comes to drafting players. I just don't see this working out. Given his past mistakes and the fact that he would now have millions of dollars and too much free time on his hands would mean the risk is too high for me. It's a suspension waiting to happen.

If we take him say in round 4 (and I still say thats highly doubtful just don't see him as a Shanny pick) he will not have millions of dollars to spend - not unless he really plays well and earns his second contract. He's not going to starve or anything but he will not become an overnight millionaire.

Archived