Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7 : Is the locker room strong enough to risk drafting Tyrann Mathieu?

Lavarleap56

Shanahan today in his press conference:

“It all depends on how big a risk, if he’s a big risk, we’re not going there. We’ve worked too hard to build this football team to take big risks."

“If he is a great player and you’ve got a feeling he can overcome his problem for whatever reason that may be, you might take a chance,” said Shanahan. “And the stronger locker room you have the more chance that guy has of turning.”

The way he emphasized the first quote when asked about taking risks on players with character issues seemed telling to me. I really doubt now that we'll spend anything higher than a 5th or 6th on Tyrann.

Shanahan today in his press conference:

The way he emphasized the first quote when asked about taking risks on players with character issues seemed telling to me. I really doubt now that we'll spend anything higher than a 5th or 6th on Tyrann.

Or could be the opposite. Shanny said "“And the stronger locker room you have the more chance that guy has of turning." I feel we have a strong locker room with leadership and veterans like Orakpo, Fletcher, DHall, and RG3.

If you also consider the the people that were suspended for Marijuana use(Davis, Trent, Jackson), could supply him with the support needed to kick this addiction.

Just out of curiosity, are there any LSU players you do/did like coming out of college? :)

Honestly, until I moved here, it didn't really matter to me. I didn't pay any attention to college ball at all. Now? To answer your question, not really. But, if we were looking at drafting a player from LSU that I thought was worth the effort, I would support it. Redskins first, Tide 2nd. I wouldn't like the idea of drafting him even if he was from Bama. As it is, he's a bamma, not Bama. Not a good pick for our Skins.

I think the locker room IS strong enough to draft a guy like Mathieu. Especially with guys like Trent and Fred who have gone through this, and defensive guys like Fletch, Hall, and Rak, there will be plenty of supporting cast to bring this guy in. I would not mind drafting him in the least.

Honestly, until I moved here, it didn't really matter to me. I didn't pay any attention to college ball at all. Now? To answer your question, not really. But, if we were looking at drafting a player from LSU that I thought was worth the effort, I would support it. Redskins first, Tide 2nd. I wouldn't like the idea of drafting him even if he was from Bama. As it is, he's a bamma, not Bama. Not a good pick for our Skins.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm just messing with you buddy. No real fault for not being Mathieu or Landry fan either.

You know players don't write these things, right? It's just some club promoter trying to sell tickets.

A) He's not a lock for the first round. Yet he planned the party for tonight. After the first round.

B) He already has had issues with substance abuse, now he's saying he's going partying after the draft.

(Before you mention it - no, I don't have a problem in principle with people throwing a party. But with Mathieu's issues, this isn't something I would be advertising were I him)

If he doesn't work out cut him. If he's taken in the 4th or later there will be no money implications if we let him go, it would just be a waste of that pick. That, you could argue, makes it not worth doing. But the money is really irrelevant at that spot.

If he's a 4th round talent, then there is bound to be another equally talented D-back out there without the risk of headache. I say pass.

After reading the ESPN mag article on him, I hope this team has absolutely NOTHING to do with drafting him. He's going to relapse. I have no doubt in my mind. His agent/handlers are doing all they can to elevate his draft stock by helping him stay clean...but he is struggling with it beyond belief. He's going to need babysitting 24/7, and I'd honestly be surprised if he's in the league 2 years from now. This guy has a legit addiction.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm just messing with you buddy. No real fault for not being Mathieu or Landry fan either.

It's all good, bro. I actually like Landry at first, because he & Sean complimented each other very well, I thought. But, once the unfortunate happened, Landry's weaknesses were exposed. He was asked, unfairly probably to keep the same level of play as when Sean was still next to him, but with the added, "now you have to fill his shoes as well."

But, your question was a fair one. As a Redskins fan, I despise anything Dallas (except Romo sits to pee. That guy is one of my favorite players around the League ;) ), so to assume that I would hate everything LSU is not unreasonable. It's also not too far from the truth. ;)

I don't want Mathieu on the team, but this flyer isn't his fault. He had nothing to do with it.

He did have something to do with it. He wanted to throw a party for himself, presumably after he thought he would get drafted. So, although the wording isn't directly his, he definitely had something to do with it.

He did have something to do with it. He wanted to throw a party for himself, presumably after he thought he would get drafted. So, although the wording isn't directly his, he definitely had something to do with it.

Is the problem that he wanted to have a party to celebrate one of the best days of his life? Or is the problem the wording on the flyer?

I think that the locker room is strong enough; the front office not so much.

He doesn't seem to be a Shanahan kinda guy. Shamarko Thomas does though. I would just hope that the Skins might wait and see if they could get him in the third at the soonest if they went that way.

I think the locker room IS strong enough to draft a guy like Mathieu. Especially with guys like Trent and Fred who have gone through this, and defensive guys like Fletch, Hall, and Rak, there will be plenty of supporting cast to bring this guy in. I would not mind drafting him in the least.

Egos today, especially in prospects, are enormous. This kid is no different.

In ways, players need a certain amount of 'swagger' and confidence to ward off the naysayers, but this case is a little different. Multiple counts of trouble, a young kid getting a big paycheck, and temptations can quickly steamroll into another letdown. Fred and Trent [ IMO] are not out of the woods yet in many people's eyes.

With a locker room in the infant stage of becoming solid, coming from years of on-and-off field issues, it may not be as solid and strong as some believe.

Just like a chain, its only as strong as the weakest link; if Mathieu ends up here, HE will be the weakest link, and if a kid doesn't respect himself enough to respect his opportunities, then it becomes a point of 'him needing and depending' on this positive support from others.

The Redskins organization should be through with taking on problem kids; thats Dallas' job !

He was never throwing the party for himself- that's not how it works. The promotor of the club tags his name to the event, prints out a cheesy flyer, and in return Tyrann gets like $1500 cash and a table/bottles for him and his friends.

Also, I'd like to point out to several of you that Tyrann's problem is not weed. It's a lack of desire to excel at the next level combined with a pattern of self-destructive behavior that he doesn't seem to take very seriously. The people around here who have read all of the articles, quotes, rumors, whispers, etc., know exactly what this guy's future holds. There is absolutely zero chance Money Badger lasts longer than 3 years in the NFL- and that's being generous.

To me, if he had great talent, I would think about it. But he doesn't. He's not fast enough to be that small and still be an impactful player. At this point I wouldn't even draft him before the 6th round. There's just no way with his current skillset and attitude that he's woorth the hassle in the earlier rounds.

He was never throwing the party for himself- that's not how it works. The promotor of the club tags his name to the event, prints out a cheesy flyer, and in return Tyrann gets like $1500 cash and a table/bottles for him and his friends.

Also, I'd like to point out to several of you that Tyrann's problem is not weed. It's a lack of desire to excel at the next level combined with a pattern of self-destructive behavior that he doesn't seem to take very seriously. The people around here who have read all of the articles, quotes, rumors, whispers, etc., know exactly what this guy's future holds. There is absolutely zero chance Money Badger lasts longer than 3 years in the NFL- and that's being generous.

Actually, I think this goes hand and hand with his addiction.

Archived