Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7 : Is the locker room strong enough to risk drafting Tyrann Mathieu?

Lavarleap56

I don't get the infatuation with Mathieu. Yes he is a playmaker but other than forcing turnovers and returning kicks he will be useless.

I don't really get it either. Seems kind small and slow. I do trust this staff though, and if they think he's worth a later pick I'd be ok with it. A 2nd or 3rd and I' be raising my eyebrow for sure.

I think we say no to the Dwarf with a weed problem thats not that fast. If we go corner why not someone who's faster, taller with better ball skills and no failed drug tests.... A player who should be available at 51... Darius Slay

Oh man. I can't stand the Honey Badger. I would rather not ever draft another player from LSU. Seriously arrogant school & fans. And often largely overrated. I don't think he would make a good Redskin at all, IMHO.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2013 at 11:41 PM ----------

That's not really fair. LSU and Alabama are so ridiculously loaded they don't miss players when they are gone. Bama didn't miss a beat losing Trent Richardson either but that doesn't mean he isn't a top talent.

That's not a fair comparison. Bama is loaded at RB & light years ahead of LSU in talent. But I am biased.

6 drug suspensions in the last 2 years suggests the locker room is not strong enough to deal with Mathieu.

Judging by some of the posters, its ok to give up drinking for a few days and be called sober!

The Redskins' organization has FINALLY turned the corner and is becoming a respected team; why jeopardize it? I'll lay money down that the guy won't make it through 1-1/2 years [ being generous ] that he'll screw up yet again, and then the finger-pointing and accusations will start.

I do hope the guy does clean up his act, but this would be a distraction in and out of the locker room; lets give a kid who has kept his nose clean [ no pun intended, well maybe a little ] a chance to be on the team; the balance of his skills vs the possible negatives tips to the err of caution.

SIC

This, IMO, is overstated. Yes he has talent and yes he has good instincts and a nose for the ball but to say he has "limitless talent" and is "great in coverage" is a major stretch. He isn't a freakish athlete; his physical attributes are a bit closer to mediocre...he isn't all that fast or strong or explosive. In coverage he seems to be a mixed bag from what I've seen; will make a good play sometimes but will also get burned. Keep in mind that LSU generally used him in a pretty specific way, closer to the box and letting him roam a bit (something they could do given the big time talent they had overall in their secondary). He wasn't asked to man up on top WRs all that often. I have a hard time seeing him as an outside CB in the NFL, especially against the bigger wideouts...he just doesn't have the size/strength to jam them or the recovery speed to gamble.

I completely agree. You nailed it.

I think we say no to the Dwarf with a weed problem thats not that fast. If we go corner why not someone who's faster, taller with better ball skills and no failed drug tests.... A player who should be available at 51... Darius Slay

That's exactly it. Even if we completely ignore the drug problems, unless there is a historically unprecedented run of cornerbacks prior to 51, he will be nowhere near BCBA. And even at 85, it's unlikely he'll be the top CB on the board. How much of a playmaker he is does factor into his ranking, but even giving that a highly favorable rating and weight, he's still probably the 10th corner.

And personally, I'm not high on "play makers" at the college level to begin with. I want technical soundness first, and prototypical measurements second; what someone did in terms of play making comes third. If they're all three, awesome, but if they lack one or both of the first two, I'm highly suspicious.

Oh man. I can't stand the Honey Badger. I would rather not ever draft another player from LSU. Seriously arrogant school & fans. And often largely overrated. I don't think he would make a good Redskin at all, IMHO.

---------- Post added April-23rd-2013 at 11:41 PM ----------

That's not a fair comparison. Bama is loaded at RB & light years ahead of LSU in talent. But I am biased.

The point is a lot of college football teams reload after losing top players and aren't impacted. Especially the elite teams that pull in great talent every year. It doesn't reflect on the players they lost if the team doesn't crumble without them. And i think you are a little biased :)

It is interesting about all the talk this guy is getting on here. I saw an article on the NFL website that talked about Mathieu. Here is the link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162849/article/2013-nfl-draft-has-depth-big-question-marks-at-cb.

The article yalks about the CB draft and a guy name Bob McGinn conducted a draft series for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. He asked nine of the 12 personnel people and they said they wouldn't draft or sign Mathieu. One quote tells alot about his draft stock: "He's a hell of a punt returner, but he's not that great a player," one personnel man told McGinn. "Besides, we got enough guys on our team that smoke dope. Why do I want one that might be smoking it in his room the night before a game?" WOW! That could be the Redskins making that comment. But the article does have some good comments about him but not enough in my opinion to draft him.

Yeah, he doesn't have the measurables, athletic ability or tape to warrant drafting him above other CBs that will be on the board at the same time. Add to that he has been out of gameday football for a year and his drug problem it makes it hard to take a chance on him. Maybe in the 4th I could see but that would still be uneasy for me. I'm sure some other team will snatch him up before he gets that far though and thankfully, it won't be us.

The point is a lot of college football teams reload after losing top players and aren't impacted. Especially the elite teams that pull in great talent every year. It doesn't reflect on the players they lost if the team doesn't crumble without them. And i think you are a little biased :)

Juuuuuust a little. :yes:

I'd be afraid he'd see the 50 yardline, not know how to cross it & get burned regularly because of it. :whoknows:

Just sayin' :silly:

I'm not against the guy, period, its just a huge risk.

Now, if the situation arises where he pretty much falls in our laps, then if possible, I'd like to see the organization sign him to a minimal contract, WITH a clause referencing him keeping clean or relinquishing any signing bonuses, playing bonuses, etc etc.

The possible problem with this is the players' union, and they would prob frown on something like this, even when the best intentions are being implied. And in today's game, there should be some uniform contractual statement regarding drug/alcohol/personal conduct of a player. We have all seen the rookie symposium with vets talking to rookies about the temptations out there, but in some cases, the problem has already begun before the player puts on a pro uniform.

SIC

I'm not against the guy, period, its just a huge risk.

Now, if the situation arises where he pretty much falls in our laps, then if possible, I'd like to see the organization sign him to a minimal contract, WITH a clause referencing him keeping clean or relinquishing any signing bonuses, playing bonuses, etc etc.

The possible problem with this is the players' union, and they would prob frown on something like this, even when the best intentions are being implied. And in today's game, there should be some uniform contractual statement regarding drug/alcohol/personal conduct of a player. We have all seen the rookie symposium with vets talking to rookies about the temptations out there, but in some cases, the problem has already begun before the player puts on a pro uniform.

SIC

He's not good enough to risk it, IMO. He's good, but he's a headcase. It's more than just that he's had drug history.

And the other thing is, if risking a pro career by allowing his desire to smoke weed & get himself kicked off of one of the more prolific schools in the country didn't change his behavior...& follow me here...nothing will. Not a huge contract for millions of dollars, not a Rookie Symposium, not a League of veteran players telling him what's what. He knows what he's up against, he knows what's at stake, yet he still continues to fail drug tests & from my understanding, he's not a very likeable character. From what I've heard, not alot of his teammates missed him.

So, do we really need to be adding a character like this when we already have enough trouble with the players we have now?

Um...no. I'll pass. And if he ends up a Redskin, I'll be very unhappy. He's not even close to as good as LaRon Landry & I didn't think he was all that great.

No, we shouldnt take a shot. We have had enough peeps fail drug tests without a past history. I'm all for second chances, but not during a year where we got screwed out of cap space and dont have a 1st round pick.

I hope the guy turns his life around and someone will pick him up I'm sure. I read an article about him in Sports Illustrated or ESPN magazine (cant remember which) and Im not convinced that this kid has fully kicked his drug habit and wouldn't relapse.

This, IMO, is overstated. Yes he has talent and yes he has good instincts and a nose for the ball but to say he has "limitless talent" and is "great in coverage" is a major stretch. He isn't a freakish athlete; his physical attributes are a bit closer to mediocre...he isn't all that fast or strong or explosive. In coverage he seems to be a mixed bag from what I've seen; will make a good play sometimes but will also get burned. Keep in mind that LSU generally used him in a pretty specific way, closer to the box and letting him roam a bit (something they could do given the big time talent they had overall in their secondary). He wasn't asked to man up on top WRs all that often. I have a hard time seeing him as an outside CB in the NFL, especially against the bigger wideouts...he just doesn't have the size/strength to jam them or the recovery speed to gamble.

But then, you look at him on film, and he can do all the things you said he couldn't. The only thing that is a concern is the off the field crap.

Archived