Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

21 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

Seriously.  We're not in a court of law, we're in a court of public opinion.  Someone can try to argue that spears exist outside of Native American culture, but I don't think a reasonable person would buy that argument. The only reason to keep a spear on the helmet is to connect back to the old name.

A reasonable person would not agree that the spear existed outside of Native American culture? Really?

The Persians, Greeks, Romans, Norse, Saxons and well just about everyone alive from pre historic times might blink at that. 

The way the spear is depicted would be critical of course. If it had feathers attached etc you’d be on very shaky ground indeed. But if it was depicted more neutrally or even with imagery linking it say a Greek or Roman usage (Roman or Greek mascot is etc) I don’t see how any reasonable person could make any connection with Native American culture.

2 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

@Jumbo

Have the mods looked into a "Dislike" feature for posts? A post gets enough dislikes that user gets a temp-ban?

:806:

not software wise but tk and i play that game all the time,...we 'dislike' posts, compare notes over the phone, and then make secret lists of the posters to oppress until they collapse...then we make them mods....

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

Figure out new screen names that dont have the word Redskins in it?

were it up to me the member roster would read like this:

****-for-brains #1

****-for-brains #2

****-for-brains #3

....and so on....

481.jpg

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

A reasonable person would not agree that the spear existed outside of Native American culture? Really?

A reasonable person would not believe that a spear would appear our favorite football teams helmet or logo for any reason other than to connect it back to our old Native American-inspired name.

If were getting so specific how the spear should look to honor all types of spears and not just be native American, then we’re on a bad path.

Just now, wrilbo67 said:

A reasonable person would not believe that a spear would appear our favorite football teams helmet or logo for any reason other than to connect it back to our old Native American-inspired name.

If it’s held by a Roman or Greek character? We disagree. I’d like to at least think I’m reasonable.

if i had a spear to shove up everyone's ass who's posted about the spear...sorry, off-topic

:D

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

What if we go with a trident? A trident adorned with ... a feather. 

what about an unladen swallow?

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If it’s held by a Roman or Greek character? We disagree. I’d like to at least think I’m reasonable.

I’ll give you that. This debate is pretty moot given that no one except you is talking about Roman/Greek-inspired names for the team.

ill stand by original point though that everyone except one person who wants a spear on the helmet want it to connect back to the old name. If one is obsessed with having a spear on the helmet, I acknowledge there are options to make it clear it’s not a Native American spear.

3 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

I’ll give you that. This debate is pretty moot given that no one except you is talking about Roman/Greek-inspired names for the team.

he's a big fan of the old caligula movie and loves black and white gladiator movies

Just now, Jumbo said:

he's a big fan of the old caligula movie and loves black and white gladiator movies

I’m just about old enough to remember the Roman invasion of Britain ...

4 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

Well latest reports talk about a total break from Indian imagery (wisely). So is a spear with associated visual imagery from some other generic non Indian warrior that far fetched?

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Well latest reports talk about a total break from Indian imagery (wisely). So is a spear with associated visual imagery from some other generic non Indian warrior that far fetched?

Well that’s the thing I’ve been saying- some people consider spears to be Native American imagery even though they’ve been used across cultures. This is doubly true given that the team is walking away from Native American imagery. As you pointed out, they’d have to go out of their way to show it’s a different spear, which would just be awkward. So yeah, it’s far-fetched IMO.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, but you root for the Washington football team and the players that are on it, right?

I dunno...I’m not a Washingtonian...I don’t pull for other Washington teams...just the skins...like my father and his father before him...mayb I’ll still love the Washington football team but I have a feeling if I’m going to root for an nfl team it’ll be Carolina panthers...ugh!! Hope I’m wrong...I’ve never been in this predicament...although when the hornets left I quit watching the nba...and still dont

48 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

if i had a spear to shove up everyone's ass who's posted about the spear...sorry, off-topic

200.gif

44 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Have you been in a Turkish prison?

1 hour ago, wrilbo67 said:

I hear you friend.  I grew up in MD with my formative years in that weird window where the Redskins and Orioles were the only NFL/MLB options.  Living in Chicago I get lots of questions how I have split loyalties, and the line of follow-up questions has only lengthened recently given that the Ravens/Nationals were the alternatives in the minds of people who don't remember relocation history.

I’m with you.  Unless they are playing my teams I don’t root against the Nationals and Ravens, but I love the Redskins and Orioles.  Both were the only game in town when I was growing up and those ties run deep with me.  Redskins Super Bowl memories, childhood Orioles games at Memorial Stadium and then Camden Yards.  When The Redskins make it official I’m not leaving, because they have been thrust into a situation they can’t control.  There was only one way this was ever going to end no matter what they did.  

Archived