Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

First they could have the same situation with Jerry and Bezos. Plus they could have a partnership with Amazon to stream NFL games worldwide. That's a WIN-WIN for both sides, owners and Bezos (Bezos wins twice here!)

Honestly, so many other owners have been so much worse- Al Davis's antics alone are leaps and bounds worse than Snyder.  Bidwell and Bob Irsay come to mind too. Snyder's a mess, but he's kept the mess in his backyard.  The merch angle is the only thing I see working here, and even then, that's a 3% drop in revenue leaguewide if its just Redskins merch that's affected.  Forcing Snyder to sell opens up all kinds of other issues too- lawsuits, discovery, etc.  I'm not a lawyer but I have no idea whether anti-trust issues come into play. I just don't see the presure coming from the owners honestly. Snyder might be brash and unlikeable, but he generally goes along with whatever the league is trying to do. The three biggest PR issues the league faces are legals problems with its players, teams moving cities and labor problems.  I guess with (1), you can say he's had some questionable signings.  But with (2) and (3), he's never been the source of issue.

They could have the Amazon thing if they wanted it right now, but the DirecTV money is just too good.  I don't think Snyder is the one holding that back.

This thread is going to get stupid if it turns into a Snyder apology thread.  Lets not and say we did.

I already took my avatar down, didn't want to, but is what it is.  Anyone thinking of changing theirs or screenname now instead of waiting for what the new name is going to be?

I'm hoping so much that I won't get paint thrown on me if I keep my jerseys after the name change.

Snyder deserves all the crap in the world for letting it get to this point and never once preparing the franchise for it outside of buying a backup name for his failed Arena team.

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This thread is going to get stupid if it turns into a Snyder apology thread.  Lets not and say we did.

I already took my avatar down, didn't want to, but is what it is.  Anyone thinking of changing theirs or screenname now instead of waiting for what the new name is going to be?

I'm hoping so much that I won't get paint thrown on me if I keep my jerseys after the name change.

Snyder deserves all the crap in the world for letting it get to this point and never once preparing the franchise for it outside of buying a backup name for his failed Arena team.

I might request a new username when the time comes, something like spwarriors, I dunno 😔

My merch collection has shrunk massively over the years as I've just stopped adding to it. At first to not support Snyder between the end of Shanny/beginning of Gruden years and then eventually bc I won't wear clothes with the name out anymore, that's prob been about the last 2-3 years. Just made me self-conscious and ashamed given my evolving opinions on the name over the years. I'm down to like two old T-shirts with holes that I wear to be lazy around home, one nice hoodie that I stopped wearing outside, and a beanie. 

The one thing I have that I'll keep through the name change is my framed ST21 jersey (a cheapo but nice looking from a distance), which is displayed with the nameplate and back number facing outward and shows no "Redskins" or logo anywhere. I also have a decent quality Haskins jersey that I got as a gift after he was drafted that I will keep in the closet, to maybe hang in the same inoffensive way as the classic ST21 jersey some day, if Haskins turns out to be really good. Otherwise I'll mail it to tater. But he'll never see this bc he's banned from the tailgate, poor ****. 

I'll break habit and buy a new name/logo shirt and hoodie as soon as they're out though. Will feel good to rep with pride again. 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't get it, aren't they still pretty close to being a local team for you?  Washington is closer to Richmond then Charlotte is.

1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I grew up in DC.  I lived there for half my life.  I grew up being the kid walking around in a Terry Allen jersey being picked on by the 90s DMV cowboy kids.  Through everything I’ve stuck with them because it was ingrained in my family and as result me.  If we completely wipe things clean I’ll just be done.   I don’t know I’d have a team again but I wouldn’t waste my life rooting for a team that wasn’t mine anymore.  No different than if any DC team did that.  There’s still a part of me that is soft for the O’s because we didn’t have the Nats but I’m Nats through and though. 

I'm 45 years old, born and raised in NC and when I was getting into sports, there were no professional teams in the state.  My allegiance to the NFL, NBA and MLB teams had to be from out of state teams.  The only local pro team (which isn't even local to Charlotte) that I started pulling for was the Carolina Hurricanes.  And the only reason they became my team was I had just started getting into hockey when they came to town (so to speak) and didn't have a favorite team yet. 

Other than that, it was the Braves, Bulls and Redskins for me.  We did have family ties to the area, my dad's uncle lived in VA, had season tickets to RFK.  That's it, and him and his wife passed away a long time ago, not sure if I ever met them either.  I can honestly say that the name changing (and logo from what we are hearing) after being a die-hard fan for my entire life, is like being kicked in the nuts by Superman

Groin Kick GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

As stated before, I know it's just a name of a sports team being changed and it's not the end of the world either, life will move on.  I'll wait and see what happens, not make any rush decisions regarding if I will continue to pull for the team or not.  I have a nice set-up in my man-cave, three TVs so I can watch three games at the same time.  No reason one TV can't be on the Washington Whatevers.

Complete re-branding definitely doesn't help the situation as I have no ties to the DMV, what-so-ever, outside the Washington Redskins.  Wife and I had talked about this over the years, every time the debate came up.  We both agreed that we won't pull for the Panthers as far as claiming them as "our team" (we do pull for them when they don't play the Redskins, they are our local team).

If I ever did claim another team, it would be the Packers.  Brett Favre was one of my and my wife's favorite players to watch, we loved his "**** it" gun slinging approach to the game.  I have never worn a jersey of any player that was not a Redskin, but have always stated that if I did, it would be #4.  My best friends (for 37 years) are from Wisconsin too, so that helps a little.  

2 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

I don't see how you can say a spear isn't Native American imagery when the entire reason people want it retained is to have a connection to the old team imagery.

Seriously.  We're not in a court of law, we're in a court of public opinion.  Someone can try to argue that spears exist outside of Native American culture, but I don't think a reasonable person would buy that argument. The only reason to keep a spear on the helmet is to connect back to the old name.

All this whining has begun to get me to agree with the name change. I used to think of the Redskins name as expressing the strength of a noble and  proud people but now it’s got me thinking of crybabies who are easily offended. Not exactly striking fear into our opponents. 😜

We need something more badass! Is Space Marines available? Rocket Surgeons? 

In all seriousness I hate all of this. I feel for the proud natives who love the name and will have their team taken from them by a loud minority of natives and some overly conscientious white people. I will likely remain a fan, or at least follow the team after the name change, but it won’t be the same. More of a passive interest then true fandom I would guess.

2 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

I don't see how you can say a spear isn't Native American imagery when the entire reason people want it retained is to have a connection to the old team imagery.

Just change it all.  I understand keeping the colors, but I'm honestly fine with changing those too.  Has the potential to be a real turning point for a franchise that needs a jump start.

You do have to consider a whole new set of problems with a "spear" on the helmet; the BLM will go on attack, as the term "spear chucker" is, or has been a derogatory name towards blacks!! 

3 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/washington-name-change-team-plans-to-scrap-native-american-imagery-but-keep-color-scheme-per-reports/

Here is an update

No or short people would have protested and the name would be changed already 

Perhaps they are too embarrassed to do so??? Or...they are so short nobody can see or hear them??? 

As for walking away from the team If they change everything...I already know I won’t.  I’ve already passed a litmus test.  I’m a proud Marylander, and when the old Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens.  I was tested big time.  Generally, I love everything about the Ravens.  The look, the logo, the stadium, the color scheme.  My state flag is on the jersey.  The branding of the team is about as good as it gets.   However, I knew where my loyalties were the first time the Ravens played the Redskins.  24 years later I’m still a huge Redskins fan despite it all.  At some point I married the team and I can’t leave them.  Frustrating and disheartening as it can be at times.  I’m with the Washington team for life.    Loyalty is very important to me.

5 minutes ago, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

Danny is looking into this for a reason; he knows the majority of Indians like the name, and the rest could care less!!! 

The thing that astounds me is that you had to manually change the font size, and make it bold, for it to look like this. You really thought you were onto something here.

Just now, Painkiller said:

At some point I married the team and I can’t leave them.  Frustrating and disheartening as it can be at times.

I hear you friend.  I grew up in MD with my formative years in that weird window where the Redskins and Orioles were the only NFL/MLB options.  Living in Chicago I get lots of questions how I have split loyalties, and the line of follow-up questions has only lengthened recently given that the Ravens/Nationals were the alternatives in the minds of people who don't remember relocation history.

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

The thing that astounds me is that you had to manually change the font size, and make it bold, for it to look like this. You really thought you were onto something here.

Genius!!!

I noticed your lack of comprehension, and inability to absorb uptake, and thought that may help you??? I would have used crayons but...... 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Don't be a hater!!

31 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

so going by the thread title and what you all know by now, what does everyone posting about logos plan to do during their time out from es? :evil:

Figure out new screen names that dont have the word Redskins in it?

Archived