Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Let's just do what the North Dakota Fighting Sioux did... Drop the nickname. 

Drop Redskins and we will just be Washington. 

If the name has to go This would be that path I would like to take. Keep the logo and the song. But until that time...

We shall fight the Post, we shall fight on PFT and MMQB, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength on the blogs, we shall defend our name, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight UnWise Mike, we shall fight Harry Reid, we shall fight the Costas' and the Feinsteins, we shall fight political correctness; we shall never surrender.

#1, how are you possibly qualified to say this?

#2, of course they have been.

ANY word is a slur depending on how you use it. 

You do have a point - but the other terms would need context to support your 2nd claim. Those words aren't in and of themselves an 'issue'.

#1, how are you possibly qualified to say this?

#2, of course they have been.

ANY word is a slur depending on how you use it. 

You do have a point - but the other terms would need context to support your 2nd claim. Those words aren't in and of themselves an 'issue'.

LOL

But I don't know why Skins fans can't grasp that the team name is racist af, especially the black fans. As a black man I can say you all know good and well if there was a team called the Alabama Darkies cats would be ready to riot.

What I can tell you that as a black man, if there was a team called the Alabama Darkies, there wouldn't be any polls showing 90% of black people not caring. There sure wouldn't be any predominantly Black Schools called the Woodrow Wilson Darkies...

What I can tell you that as a black man, if there was a team called the Alabama Darkies, there wouldn't be any polls showing 90% of black people not caring. There sure wouldn't be any predominantly Black Schools called the Woodrow Wilson Darkies...

If there was a team in Alabama called that, it wouldn't be the African Americans out protesting .....

Hail.

Something would be lost. Something massive. The REDSKINS are a major part of my sporting identity. Players change. Coaches change. Uniforms change. Stadiums change. But NOT your name. (Unless you do the unthinkable and up sticks to another State and rebrand.).

I'm from DC. Names do change. The only major team in that city that hasn't had a name change is the Caps if you want to call them major(I never will)

I root for the players and the coaches, even as they turn over. I excitedly watch guys lay it on the line for MY CITY. Not the colors or the name. Symbols/Flags/Logos haven't EVER mattered to me in anything. I just want to see the team strive to get better, both on and off the field. Changing the name is for the betterment of DC.

really? cuz i thought that if you wouldnt go up to a native american and call them something to their face, then its a slur?

at least, thats the popular argument.

anyway, this goes back to the names origin, which was not a slur, which leads us to 'does a word become a 'slur' because a few ignorant people use an otherwise benign term in a disparaging way?'

inevitibly, thats where we end up. 

I've heard multiple Native Americans say that calling them Redskins is the equivalent of calling a black person the N word. Why are people still defending the Redskins name if that's the case?

Because that is not the case. For every Native American saying the word is offensive, you have just as many who is proud of the word. 

I've heard multiple Native Americans say that calling them Redskins is the equivalent of calling a black person the N word. Why are people still defending the Redskins name if that's the case?

Do you then also suggest that many high schools are calling themselves the equivalent of the N word?

Because that is not the case. For every Native American saying the word is offensive, you have just as many who is proud of the word. 

I'm sorry, but you can't use that argument. If it's offensive to a lot, then it's offensive. Heck, I hate that we're gonna have to change the name too, but life will go on.

No, that's not melodramatic at all.  Goodness gracious.  It is a football team, right?  It's not something more than that?  lol

So, if they changed the name and logo, you wouldn't claim the history of the franchise?  It will have been "lost" forever? Did you not watch the games, do you not still have fond memories of the glory days, the wins, the losses, going to games, the players, etc?  You were there, the history is the history, it's permanent, it's not going anywhere. 

As far as I'm concerned, it'd still be the same team, just a different look.  I live and die with every play of this franchise, but I refuse to blow my stack over what it's called. 

Well I don't know a single Browns fan that went & became a Ravens fan. 

As a child of the 60s/70s, I remember fondly the good old days when a good 'Pollock' joke was told every 3 minutes. Some of the best I heard were from actual, real live Pollocks!

This country has lost the ability to laugh at ourselves. The 'politically correct' have polarized everyone! Heck .. if Dan chooses to rename the team (which I oppose), as lifelong white guy, I would not be in the least offended by the "Washington Honkies." And I would bet that the name would not elicit the nonsense that the current name does. Mostly from PC, perpetually offended, uptight white people!

What's next? Are Irish Americans going to demand that the Notre Dame football program rename themselves? I mean how offensive it must be to them to portray all Irish as drunken barroom brawlers!

Absolutely right. At this point the only name change I would ever accept is the Crackers or maybe the Fighting Whities. Our colors could be white and flesh tone. I'd buy a Griffin III Washington Fighting Whitey jersey right now. Just to stick it to white liberals. Those are about the only people who have a problem with the name, correct? Seriously though, the name changes and my team doesn't exist. I'm not a fan of some football franchise 8 hours away, I'm a REDSKINS fan. Lose that identity and its just some football team.

How can it be the equivalent of the N word if the word was created by Native Americans in the first place, with no intentions of it being used in a racist way?

It's not the same.  Sure, some racist prick idiots may have started using the word with racist intent.  But the word/term was created by Native Americans and was used in negotiations with the white skinned man.  They referred to themselves as Redskins.  

Fighting to have a professional football team change their name, which is used without any intended racism, is hypocritical.  Their ancestors created the term.

So you truly believe 90% of Natives don't care about that blatantly racist name?

really? cuz i thought that if you wouldnt go up to a native american and call them something to their face, then its a slur?

at least, thats the popular argument.

anyway, this goes back to the names origin, which was not a slur, which leads us to 'does a word become a 'slur' because a few ignorant people use an otherwise benign term in a disparaging way?'

inevitibly, thats where we end up. 

I seriously doubt saying 'hey there chief' would have a similar impact as 'sup redskin'. I wouldn't see the harm in the former.

You are spot on regarding the origin on the word IMO. Whether it was meant to be offensive should be included in the context of this argument, and has been (didn't Dan send off a press letter a few months back?)  

Archived