Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

There is a difference between something being "racial" and "racist".  They are not synonymous terms.  Just because something is racial in substance ie: the term "Redskins", doesn't make it a racist insult.  It depends on the context in which it is used and the context in which the Washington Redskins use the term is not racist.   

EMB, That read as if it's someone who is a bandwagon fan.

'I want my team to win a SB before I die, so I won't be a Jaguar fan, I won't be a Cowboys fan.' Blah, blah, blah.  

That chump should just hop on whatever bandwagon he is interested in joining and keep it moving.

Harry Reid once claimed that Barrack Obama has a racial appeal to the American public because he's "light skinned without a negro dialect."

Perhaps we don't have enough light skinned fans without a negro dialect?

Racist asshole. 

Yet he takes offense to a football team that has a racial descriptor in it's name. Such a hyprocite. 

An even bigger hypocrite because we have a state that is named after "Red People", and he hasn't made a peep about that. 

Why I’m Renouncing The Washington Redskins

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/fight-for-old-dc

"... it’s a killer icebreaker with D.C. people in New York, where I live now"

Yeah, I'm sure he's wearing that jersey over his Giants crap.

"I’ve talked to a lot of people — progressive people — from the D.C. area who share a similar, uncomfortable ambivalence."

But somehow couldn't find ANY Redskin fans... juuuuuuust kidding.

"Is the word “Redskin” offensive? Obviously, outrageously, indefensibly, unquestionably." (sincerely dead?)

Oh that's right, I forgot... he was talking to progressive people.

"I hereby renounce my Redskins fandom... I accept any and all solicitations from the other teams in the National Football League"

Now I see nothing wrong in being a fan and wanting the name changed, but leaving your fandom for another team because of it shows it to be very weak, at best.

Well Reid's made it official. He's boycotting our games until it changes.

Well, that's the tip of the iceberg... we need to change it NOW. No, I'M SURE he'll be watching the {BARF} Ravens at home instead.

"... it’s a killer icebreaker with D.C. people in New York, where I live now"

Yeah, I'm sure he's wearing that jersey over his Giants crap.

"I’ve talked to a lot of people — progressive people — from the D.C. area who share a similar, uncomfortable ambivalence."

But somehow couldn't find ANY Redskin fans... juuuuuuust kidding.

"Is the word “Redskin” offensive? Obviously, outrageously, indefensibly, unquestionably." (sincerely dead?)

Oh that's right, I forgot... he was talking to progressive people.

"I hereby renounce my Redskins fandom... I accept any and all solicitations from the other teams in the National Football League"

Now I see nothing wrong in being a fan and wanting the name changed, but leaving your fandom for another team because of it shows it to be very weak, at best.

Was actually coming here to post about that.

I'm sorry, but how can you just stop rooting for a team over the name? Did he not know the team has been called the Redskins for 70+ years? Sure I can sorta understand someone like Matthew Berry, who just doesn't call them the Redskins and instead just refers to them as "Washington". But to just stop supporting the team over a name they've been called for pretty much their entire history? Just seems strange. If he was so offended by the name, why did he ever support the Redskins? I'm sorry, but if you can just stop supporting a team over a name, you weren't much of a fan to begin with.

To be fair, sometimes people come to a revelation and the light bulb goes off. More than likely he was a very casual fans because serious ones have been aware of the name issue and wrestled with not recently, but years and years ago.

If this is a sincere renunciation based on his ethics I applaud him for it. It's tough to give up your team. Even for mild fans it becomes part of your identity. If, otoh, he is shouting look at me look at me look at me then he's a waste of time and his opinion on the name is next to worthless.

To be fair, sometimes people come to a revelation and the light bulb goes off. More than likely he was a very casual fans because serious ones have been aware of the name issue and wrestled with not recently, but years and years ago.

If this is a sincere renunciation based on his ethics I applaud him for it. It's tough to give up your team. Even for mild fans it becomes part of your identity. If, otoh, he is shouting look at me look at me look at me then he's a waste of time and his opinion on the name is next to worthless.

Was actually coming here to post about that.

I'm sorry, but how can you just stop rooting for a team over the name? Did he not know the team has been called the Redskins for 70+ years? Sure I can sorta understand someone like Matthew Berry, who just doesn't call them the Redskins and instead just refers to them as "Washington". But to just stop supporting the team over a name they've been called for pretty much their entire history? Just seems strange. If he was so offended by the name, why did he ever support the Redskins? I'm sorry, but if you can just stop supporting a team over a name, you weren't much of a fan to begin with.

I have no idea how I'm supposed to take the author of that piece seriously. He's been a Redskins fan for 20+ years and is suddenly so offended by the name that he needs to renounce his fanhood. It may be a lightbulb moment like Burgold said, but I doubt it. I think if you want to succeed in this subset of media you need to at least adhere to a more "progressive" ideology -- if I had a national column like Berry or Bill Barnwell of Grantland, I'd call them just "Washington" too. 

As much as I don't want the name to change, sooner or later I'm just going to think "whatever, change the damn name so that the social justice warriors can move onto something else." 

For the folks who hate think progress, this is all over now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/us-patent-office-cancels-redskins-trademark-registration-says-name-is-disparaging/2014/06/18/e7737bb8-f6ee-11e3-8aa9-dad2ec039789_story.html

The United States Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, calling the football team’s name “disparaging to Native Americans.”

The landmark case, which appeared before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, was filed on behalf of five Native Americans. It was the second time such a case was filed.

“This victory was a long time coming and reflects the hard work of many attorneys at our firm,” said lead attorney Jesse Witten, of Drinker Biddle & Reath.

Federal trademark law does not permit registration of trademarks that “may disparage” individuals or groups or “bring them into contempt or disrepute.” The ruling pertains to six different trademarks associated with the team, each containing the word “Redskin.”

“We are extraordinarily gratified to have prevailed in this case,” Alfred Putnam Jr., the chairman of Drinker Biddle & Reath, said. “The dedication and professionalism of our attorneys and the determination of our clients have resulted in a milestone victory that will serve as an historic precedent.”

My only advice is to make peace with the Washington Warriors. Because that will be the name.

Certainly seems like a game changer. Hits Snyder in the pocketbook.

Not the 1st time this has happened. The Redskins lost the trademark in the late 90's I believe. There will be appeals, and it will take years, most likely. It's not a big deal right now, it'll just fire up the "SEE?! IT IS A SLUR AND OMGZ I AM SO OFFENDED I AM GOING TO POST ABOUT IT ON FACEBOOK...OH LOOK AT THOSE CUTE PUPPIES!" crowd for a bit.

I think its different this time. I think the more Snyder fights this, the more likely the Gov't tells the NFL to get on board with a name change or risk losing their Anti-Trust exemption. I don't think the topic has really come up in a bit now.

If I had to guess. The Washington Warriors will open the 2016 NFL season.

Wow I don't think most saw that one coming. Imminent name change coming?

Who's "most"?   You, Dan and Bruce?    EVERYONE saw this coming.

I think its different this time. I think the more Snyder fights this, the more likely the Gov't tells the NFL to get on board with a name change or risk losing their Anti-Trust exemption. I don't think the topic has really come up in a bit now.

If I had to guess. The Washington Warriors will open the 2016 NFL season.

Agreed.   It's much different now.  The public opinion, while most don't care, will simply side with the fact that it's at the very least borderline.    Snyder has proven he doesn't mind throwing money at lawyers for seemingly unwinnable matters, so this will be delayed with appeals, but I don't see the results changing. 

Who's "most"?   You, Dan and Bruce?    EVERYONE saw this coming.

No, I didn't see the trademark getting cancelled. A name change eventually? Yes I saw that coming.

Like I said, if you want the name to change, you gotta hit Snyder in his pockets. This is the first legit threat to that...

Agreed 100%. Snyder/NFL was never going to really consider a name change until they started losing money. This will certainly cause that.

Archived