Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

WTOP: Darrell Green: Washington’s name change ‘is the right decision’

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/07/darrell-green-washingtons-name-change-is-the-right-decision/

"As for Washington’s new name, Green favors Red Tails, which was a nickname given to the Tuskegee Airmen, the first Black aviators in the U.S. Army Air Corps.

“This would be a way to celebrate these guys,” said Green. “These guys were under great duress in the air battling. And guess what? When they landed and came home, they were under great duress at home. They could find no peace.”"

That said, someone already pointed out the the DMV BLM chapter is not supportive of that name.

1 minute ago, wrilbo67 said:

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/07/darrell-green-washingtons-name-change-is-the-right-decision/

"As for Washington’s new name, Green favors Red Tails, which was a nickname given to the Tuskegee Airmen, the first Black aviators in the U.S. Army Air Corps.

“This would be a way to celebrate these guys,” said Green. “These guys were under great duress in the air battling. And guess what? When they landed and came home, they were under great duress at home. They could find no peace.”"

That said, someone already pointed out the the DMV BLM chapter is not supportive of that name.

Yeah, I’m not fond of going from one racial name to another. Let’s get race out of it please.

1 minute ago, wrilbo67 said:

I think the lesson to be learned from all of this (one of them, at least) is to not make sports mascots out of people.  Even if it's meant as a tribute.  I know someone's gonna say WELL WHAT ABOUT THE FIGHTING IRISH?!!??, please, just stop.

In regards to the Red Tails and BLM...Red Tails doesn't really make sense if you want to tie it into DC.  And I am wondering if DMV BLM would object if it was a team not owned by Dan Snyder and not changing from a name that's already been perceived by many as racist.  

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is the best R logo so far, if we go Redwolves?

It looks like a Redskins logo to me. Why bother even changthe name if we are just going to changing every other aspect of the team to look as close to Redskins as we can? (Or essentially not change anything)

I mean, just do this. Keep the logo of the Indian. Change the name to Warriors. That’s about as much effort as most of these concepts are.

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It looks like a Redskins logo to me. Why bother even changthe name if we are just going to changing every other aspect of the team to look as close to Redskins as we can? (Or essentially not change anything)

I mean, just do this. Keep the logo of the Indian. Change the name to Warriors. That’s about as much effort as most of these concepts are.

Well, the fuss has been about using Native American imagery and a name that people see as a racial slur.

The letter R isn't Native American imagery.  Burgundy and gold isn't Native American imagery.  I don't think we need to overhaul the entire thing, just get rid of the parts that people are upset with.  I don't see the harm here.

Keeping the logo of the Indian would be using Native American imagery.  Tying in the name Warriors would probably paint Native Americans in a light that would lead people to believe that all Native Americans did was fight.  Again, the lesson being don't use people as sports mascots.

My vote is for Warriors and go 60's throwback style, what was old is new again. Thicken the shaft and update to be a spartan spear not an arrow. Although I dont know how one could argue that Native Americans have sole ownership over the use of an arrow. But I digress.

But I can get behind Redwolves and this helmet idea (just have a wolf inside, NOT the NA with a wolf head), disregard the jersey, not a fan. Maybe position the wolf howling at the moon so his tail hangs down emulating the feather?

1g6tZm7.png.bf743a3ddc2cce6c786ad6907913858f.png

image.png.ddde91ef8dfc28dace66fa9b2a47a086.png

image.png.131da4e45306f5077918746c7bbe7b6e.png

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, the fuss has been about using Native American imagery and a name that people see as a racial slur.

The letter R isn't Native American imagery.  Burgundy and gold isn't Native American imagery.  I don't think we need to overhaul the entire thing, just get rid of the parts that people are upset with.  I don't see the harm here.

Keeping the logo of the Indian would be using Native American imagery.  Tying in the name Warriors would probably paint Native Americans in a light that would lead people to believe that all Native Americans did was fight.  Again, the lesson being don't use people as sports mascots.

If it’s the Warriors, sure. Keep burgundy and gold.

If it’s the Red Wolves, why the hell are the colors burgundy and gold? Just to spotlight our history of racist (as some say) imagery and team name?

Anything they do, using burgundy and gold is going to look to me like a ****ization.

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

It looks like a Redskins logo to me. Why bother even changing the name if we are just going to changing every other aspect of the team to look as close to Redskins as we can?

I guess it depends on the name, if its Redwolves then it fits but if not then yeah, I agree.

9 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah but only hockey fans are going to know that so who cares

I mean, sure, if you wanna be the team that ripped off a third class sport’s logo. Actually, now that you mentioned it, this would right up Snyder’s alley.

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I agree. The Gibbs R without an feather or tail or whatever would be fine if that's how they go. If not, I don't want an R. I'd prefer a W.

I don't hate the idea of a W I just haven't seen anything creative done with it.

59 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Am I the only one who thinks this is the best R logo so far, if we go Redwolves?

1548591861_Annotation2020-07-15141208.png.8a050141ab129964dde5162958938699.png

This is my favorite Logo i've seen so far. I don't like the full Wolf or Wolfhead. 

Btw, maybe im missing something but what kind of Warriors would we be if not a NA Warrior of some type? 

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Please don't be on some Epstein ****.  That would be a devastating shot to the gut

I'm willing to take anything that will end Snyder's reign, but that. There is nothing on this planet that pisses me off more (which is really saying something)

48 minutes ago, bentskin said:

My vote is for Warriors and go 60's throwback style, what was old is new again. Thicken the shaft and update to be a spartan spear not an arrow. Although I dont know how one could argue that Native Americans have sole ownership over the use of an arrow. But I digress.

No matter what we choose, if it's Warriors someone will ****.

4 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Btw, maybe im missing something but what kind of Warriors would we be if not a NA Warrior of some type? 

Any kind of warrior throughout all of history maybe....

There were several...

Archived