Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

53 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:
So, Redwolves is a pipe dream, unless these are trademark squatters.

That guy was asked if the fact that there's no current trademark application that can be seen for "Redwolves" means the team is not interested in it, and here's his response. He also said it "typically takes a few days" for a trademark request to register, so ... I wouldn't completely abandon hope yet. 

I don’t get Redwolves at all. Sounds like a made up team from a fake league in a movie about pro football. It’s going to be the Warriors — would be shocked if it’s not. I think it has a nice ring to it. Hard to hate at least. 

I'm for branding the team name with a company.  I.E. Washington Fedex, Washington Prime, or how about teaming up with a video game, or cartoon company, Washington Sonics, and have Sonic the Hedgehog be mascot. I wonder how much Sega would charge for that? They might even pay us. Go for the Japanese market team up with Toei Animation and name them the Saiyans after the Dragonball Z charcter. (I'm joking about all this of course) 

There is no need to rush this, especially when some people are treating this like picking and expansion team name or an XFL team. A littl thought and creativity can actually yield some results that harken back to team history/tradition without NA imagery. Off the top of my head some obviously more far fetched than others, but an example of leads on idea:

1. Hogs/Red Hogs the obvious for many reasons. Easy plug into HTTR with some tweaks, and obvious tie to glory days.

2. Officially Washington Burgundy and Gold. Doesn't roll of the tongue, so would often just be referred to as Washington.

3. The Desiels - Gold Train on Burgundy Helmet harkens back to Riggs and 70 Chip

4. Something that honors Bobby Mitchell the Redskin and the pioneer?

5. Washington Posse, Fun Bunch (actually kind of like this as nutty as it sounds. Would be reall unique to the NFL.), Slingers ( for Sammy Baugh). 

Again, off the top of my head. Spitnballing team history and ideas even weak ones lead to thoughtful consideration. Rushing this leads to Redwolves and other ideas that have nothing to do with an almost 90 year old franchise. 

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I liked Red Tails too, but does the region have a natural connection to the Tuskeegee Airmen?  Seems like that named should be reserved for an Alabama team.

Honestly, the geographical part is forgiveable in my mind. DC has a special part in African American history being the southernmost point of freedom for runaway slaves and later on earned the nickname Chocolate City not just for the large African American population but because of the amount of art and culture that came out of the black presence in dc. The Utah Jazz is a far worse anomaly than the Washington. red Tails would be.

Whats harder, IMO, is that the team has zero credibility when it comes to anything race-related. Even the single bragging point the team has (starting the first black QB in a super bowl), has more to do with Joe Gibbs and the awfulness of Jay Schroeder than it does with the teams management.

39 minutes ago, frontline205 said:

I'm for branding the team name with a company.  I.E. Washington Fedex, Washington Prime, or how about teaming up with a video game, or cartoon company, Washington Sonics, and have Sonic the Hedgehog be mascot. I wonder how much Sega would charge for that? They might even pay us. Go for the Japanese market team up with Toei Animation and name them the Saiyans after the Dragonball Z charcter. (I'm joking about all this of course) 

I'm okay with the Washington Prime. A name that occurred to me recently was the Washington Founders. Not sure if I dig it or not, but it lingers in my thoughts. I still like the Washington March too as a nod our soldiers and all those who have marched for freedom. Someone also suggested Washington Posse and I think that could be fun as an homage to Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders and the glory years.

34 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Uh oh... I hope it is something inspired and not safe.

30 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Hearing idiots like this continue to refer to the LOGO as racist disgusts me. The name? I get it. The logo? Utterly ridiculous. A realistic portrayal of a Native American, proposed by a NA and approved for use by the National Congress of NAs called an "old, racist logo." Mind-blowing. 

40 minutes ago, Learned Hand said:

There is no need to rush this, especially when some people are treating this like picking and expansion team name or an XFL team. A littl thought and creativity can actually yield some results that harken back to team history/tradition without NA imagery. Off the top of my head some obviously more far fetched than others, but an example of leads on idea:

1. Hogs/Red Hogs the obvious for many reasons. Easy plug into HTTR with some tweaks, and obvious tie to glory days.

2. Officially Washington Burgundy and Gold. Doesn't roll of the tongue, so would often just be referred to as Washington.

3. The Desiels - Gold Train on Burgundy Helmet harkens back to Riggs and 70 Chip

4. Something that honors Bobby Mitchell the Redskin and the pioneer?

5. Washington Posse, Fun Bunch (actually kind of like this as nutty as it sounds. Would be reall unique to the NFL.), Slingers ( for Sammy Baugh). 

Again, off the top of my head. Spitnballing team history and ideas even weak ones lead to thoughtful consideration. Rushing this leads to Redwolves and other ideas that have nothing to do with an almost 90 year old franchise. 

Not sure why this deserves to be laughed at, but hey, people do people.

I ran through all these same ones in my head, none of them are fantastic but I could get behind them.  A bit of an unusual naming convention one could be Sons Of Washington.

9 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Not sure why this deserves to be laughed at, but hey, people do people.

I ran through all these same ones in my head, none of them are fantastic but I could get behind them.  A bit of an unusual naming convention one could be Sons Of Washington.

Because they're all terrible and we need to learn to live outside the 80's glory days. 

9 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Because they're all terrible and we need to learn to live outside the 80's glory days. 

I don 't know. I think that's been the rallying cry since Shanny. Forget the Glory Years!

I think it's a mistake. Better to have something to aspire to. Better to remember that the mountain can be climbed.

8 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If "terrible" is the disqualifier, then good luck with the current crop of options floating about... 👍

22 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don 't know. I think that's been the rallying cry since Shanny. Forget the Glory Years!

I think it's a mistake. Better to have something to aspire to. Better to remember that the mountain can be climbed.

Those words might inspire some fans, but do nothing for our players, the vast majority of whom were not even alive (!!) for our last SB run. They don't aspire to be those teams, it doesn't make them play harder or feel pride to know that other players who happened to play for us were good 30 years ago.

I'd actually argue that if our fanbase hadn't been so comfortable living in the 80's in their minds, happy to reminisce and convince themselves we were still on some level a storied organization and not actually the new Browns, big organizational changes may have happened earlier than they did, rather than having to hit almost literal rock bottom for things to get so bad that Snyder would at least take the steps he's taken this offseason (it has yet to be seen if these changes were enough either, but he at least took steps he never has before--but only after decades of failure led hardcore fans to finally stop buying merch and going to games).

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Thankfully it will be better than that nightmarish list

I'd rather have a bad name that has something to do with us, than a bad name that was plucked out of thin air.

And I'd rather be mired in the past, if the future is coordinating the collective howl while Super Wolf and the Funky 4 get down.

Archived