Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I have a suspicion the chiefs could be trying to be proactive and if they like their mascot enough and would like to use that as a bridge to their new name, they could be making phone calls to league officials telling them that we have to stay away from anything wolves related.

I dont know if they'll succeed but I'm guessing there's conversations going on that we don't know about. 

I'd be surprised if they kept that drunk chucky cheese thing as their logo but probably would like to have something as a connection to their past for their fans like the one we are mostly hoping we get.

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I have a suspicion the chiefs could be trying to be proactive and if they like their mascot enough and would like to use that as a bridge to their new name, they could be making phone calls to league officials telling them that we have to stay away from anything wolves related.

Why would that matter?  How many bird themed teams are there?  Cat themed teams?  Horse themed?  Pirate themed?  Giants and Titans can be thought of similarly.

Why can't two teams be wolf themed?

31 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I dont know if they'll succeed but I'm guessing there's conversations going on that we don't know about. 

I'd be surprised if they kept that drunk chucky cheese thing as their logo but probably would like to have something as a connection to their past for their fans like the one we are mostly hoping we get.

Hey, our sponsors twisted our arms first, Redwolves is ours.  

59 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

That woman looks like a baglady. 

So she probably has pretty low standards!

Giggity. - GIF - Imgur

34 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If the Indians change their name, KC will be forced to change theirs.

I wonder if this would be a impetus to Redwolves:

The Wolfpack Club was the designated name for the Kansas City Chiefs original fan club. Back in the 60’s and 70’s, these loyal, boisterous fans had their own cheering section and membership cards when the team played in Municipal Stadium. Today, the Wolfpack lives on in the form of KC Wolf.

this may sound like sarcasm but it's not intended to be.

does anybody think the native Americans might have a problem with redwolves?

they've made it abundantly clear, name, logo and colors must go non negotiable. 

keeping the word red and tying it to an animal that is sacred to them might not be satisfactory. 

23 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I have a question for Those of you who support the name change and find it offensive. Before the past year or so errr before 2016  , before  Kap & NFL flag kneeling,  did ya'll  just suffer in silence all these years ? Because the truth of the matter is some of you who are most adamant on "doing whats right" never made so much as a peep in regards to your desire for the Redskins to rebrand as something else, something less offensive, Can all of you honestly sit here and tell me not a single one of you own Redskins merchandise with the native American logo?  Or did you just become enlightened in the wake of the recent social issues effecting the country ?

Just a honest question expecting honest answers. 

But, isn't this the beauty of life? We change constantly, some for the better, some for the worse. Whether or not people have found this name to be offensive for 20, 15, 10, 5 years ago, or just this year is irrelevant. The fact that they have grown and decided that a name change is in the best interest of everyone involved (minus the people against the name change), is really fascinating because I believe they are supporting a name change with good intentions. 

People don't stay static, whether or not they believe they do. The whole 'he stands by his convictions' (I think that's the saying), is really dumb to me. I don't have one current friend like that. I typically find that a negative (not in every scenario though). I do try to surround myself with people that are open to others opinions and are willing to change their mind when new facts are submitted. 

Now, I do not fit into the category of your first sentence. I grew up with the name and for 30+ years of my life, I had no problem with it. But, it has gotten to the point that my wife and I can't proudly wear our gear. We don't want to be associated with something people view as racist and uncaring. We are not o.k. or casual about that. Mainly because of the name, we haven't bought anything Redskins related for the last ten years. I have sold almost all of my memorabilia with the exception of important things to me like a ball signed by the whole Super Bowl Team and a seat cushion from the seat cushion game. I have also removed all things Redskins from our vehicles.

I for one really hope that society in general pushes forward and is more inclusive and caring. I would love a name change. We shouldn't avoid a name change just because it upsets a few fans or people. Money shouldn't be in consideration either, even though it 100% is.

In this world change is constant. It is your decision to be on whatever side you feel is correct. I've picked my side. I am rooting to be more inclusive, less hateful, and I look forward to  proudly wear burgundy and gold colors again.  

Final note. Whether or not Redskins name was meant to be racist or not, a popular positive view of the word has changed. The major players against the name have spoken in a huge way. It's not up to us whether the name stays or changes. What is up to us is how we deal with the situation. I am really hoping people are open minded and I really hope Redskins fans continue to support this team and understand that this change was forced upon them. 

in my opinion, this is the best possible outcome at this point in time. Change excites me. I look forward to it. 

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

Taste and beauty is not bound by the petty constraints of time periods. 

It looks like mud which is neither tasteful nor beautiful, probably because when it was designed mud was 90% of the playing field. 

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

Same holds true for this woman from 1911:

what does Stevie Nicks have to do with ugly uniforms?

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

this may sound like sarcasm but it's not intended to be.

does anybody think the native Americans might have a problem with redwolves?

they've made it abundantly clear, name, logo and colors must go non negotiable. 

keeping the word red and tying it to an animal that is sacred to them might not be satisfactory. 

Probably. It's clear a certain section is going to gripe no matter what we do. If we remove any native imagery, there is nothing they can say without sounding really petty. Well, pettier than they already do.

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

no just immature like those that say cowpukes and cowgirls 

Over your head GIF | Whoosh / You Missed the Joke | Know Your Meme

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It looks like mud which is neither tasteful nor beautiful, probably because when it was designed mud was 90% of the playing field. 

And the playing surface has changed how, exactly?

5 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Final note. Whether or not Redskins name was meant to be racist or not, a popular positive view of the word has changed. The major players against the name have spoken in a huge way. It's not up to us whether the name stays or changes. What is up to us is how we deal with the situation. I am really hoping people are open minded and I really hope Redskins fans continue to support this team and understand that this change was forced upon them.

Seriously, words and symbols constantly change in meaning and people adjust.

For instance, if you go to India, you can visit Hindu/Buddhist temples that are adorned in swastikas- it was considered a symbol of good luck in a lot of eastern faiths for quite literally thousands of years.  People actually pay extra to have swastikas included in the brickwork and stonework for their new homes. But for people of those faiths that move to western countries, they fully understand that as of ~85 years ago, the swastika now has a very different meaning to western society.  They don't run around town having pro-swastika marches screaming about, "heritage, not hate!" even though they actually have a legitimate connection to that symbol. They get it.

On a lighter note, when I lived in Michigan, there was a local Lansing-based coffee shop that grew really popular and became a chain within Michigan. It stayed open for something like 30 years with its original name- Beaners Coffee.  Then Carlos Mencia became popular in 2005 and the connotation behind "Beaners Coffee," totally changed.  They didn't complain about how unfair the world was to them- they changed the name to Biggby Coffee.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Why would that matter?  How many bird themed teams are there?  Cat themed teams?  Horse themed?  Pirate themed?  Giants and Titans can be thought of similarly.

Why can't two teams be wolf themed?

This is true. There's no reason, for example, we couldn't be the Washington Red Wolves while they become the Kansas City Mangy Wolves.

I just don’t see how we can be the Warriors without some sort of Native American imagery. Would our logo really just be a spear and some feathers? Maybe a cool word mark? Guess it could work. I think Redwolves has more potential as far as branding. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Nah, no amount of reverence will ease those absurd crowdshors with all the face paint, headgear, and chopping in unison.

Well, their ownership has some deft and tact--and isn't a tone deaf ass face. I have a feeling they will find a solution that won't cost them their name...unlike previously mentioned tone-deaf ass face.

Archived