Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Wow! I'm surprises the WP ran the story below:

In Arizona, a Navajo high school emerges as a defender of the Washington Redskins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in-arizona-a-navajo-high-school-emerges-as-a-defender-of-the-washington-redskins/2014/10/26/dcfc773a-592b-11e4-8264-deed989ae9a2_story.html?hpid=z2

By Ian Shapira October 26 at 9:54 PM

The Red Mesa (Ariz.) High School football team approaches the field before its homecoming game against Many Farms High School on Oct. 17. (Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post)

RED MESA, Ariz. — The fans poured into the bleachers on a Friday night, erupting in “Let’s go, Redskins!”

... the players shouted. “Redskins on three! Redskins on three! One, two, three, Redskins!”

A rural high school on the nation’s largest Native American reservation has embraced the Redskins mascot as their own since the early 1970s. (Whitney Leaming/The Washington Post)

Red Mesa students, parents and alumni stamped the bleachers, clutching signs that read “Fear the Spear” and “Redskin Nation.”

“This is one of the reasons why it’s so hard to change the name,” he said with a smile, trying to make his voice heard over the cheers. “I don’t find it derogatory. It’s a source of pride.”

In the Four Corners area, where Red Mesa sits in northeastern Arizona, that pride is evident in the school’s lone sign advertising its existence off little-traveled Highway 160. The sign features a tall red post emblazoned with the word “Redskins” and the face of a Native American, an image that looks almost exactly like the Washington Redskins logo.

One of the country’s most prominent anti-Redskins activists, Amanda Blackhorse, is the lead plaintiff in a legal case that threatens the Washington Redskins’trademark protection. Blackhorse is a Navajo and lives about an hour’s drive from Red Mesa.

But most in the Red Mesa community dismiss Blackhorse’s cause, or barely know who she is.

“I don’t know what she means that it’s a racial slur,” said Mckenzie Lameman, 17, a junior who is Red Mesa’s student government president. “It’s not a racist slur if it originates from a Native American tribe.. . . It’s always used in the context of sports.”

Blackhorse, who was organizing a protest of the name at the game, said she called a Red Mesa school official and urged him not to let his students be used...

“We just let [blackhorse] talk,” said Al Begay, Red Mesa’s athletic director, sitting in his office. “This protest feels like it’s coming from one person.”

At the game, some Red Mesa students said they were taunted by protesters for wearing free Washington Redskins hats and T-shirts.

‘More important issues’

It is impossible to tell whether Blackhorse and other activists represent the views of most of the country’s 5.2 million Native Americans.

A 2004 Annenberg Public Policy Center poll that found nine out of 10 Native Americans were not offended by the Redskins name. But Blackhorse and others note that the survey is 10 years old and question its methodology. And they argue that if any Native Americans are offended by the name, it should be changed.

But outgoing Navajo Nation President Ben Shelly isn’t offended by the moniker and considers the controversy a “non-issue,” said Deswood Tome, Shelly’s special adviser.

“Changing a mascot’s name is not going to produce one job on the Navajo Nation,” Tome said, noting that the unemployment rate on the country’s largest Indian reservation is 60 percent.

Shelly, who lost his bid for another term in an August primary, generated a firestorm at the Washington-Arizona game by sitting next to Snyder...

“We have far more important issues to expend our energy on” than a team name, Benally said. “A lot of the buildings here are from the 1970s. Our grandson doesn’t even have a biology teacher. Tell Snyder we want a wellness center.”

Kelvin chimed in: “Or at least give us money for some clean water.”

Inside the squat buildings, drinking fountains are wrapped in plastic with signs on the wall that say not to drink the water, which is contaminated. The school district spends tens of thousands of dollars annually on bottled water, said Yazzie, the superintendent.

Amid so many problems, perhaps it’s not surprising that 88 percent of students and 71 percent of faculty members surveyed by the school this month favored keeping the Redskins name and mascot. On another question, 60 percent of students disagreed that Redskins is a slur, 7 percent said the word is offensive and one-third said they weren’t sure.

As the pickup trucks with floats rolled across Red Mesa’s campus, the sophomore class president trailed behind on a horse marked “#Redskins.” A football player stood on a float and chanted over and over with the crowd, “Who are we? Redskins!”

A Redskins triumph

It was 30-0 at halftime. The Red Mesa Redskins were defeating Many Farms, another Navajo

As free T-shirts and drinks were being tossed into the stands at halftime, the emcee introduced one of Red Mesa’s earliest graduates, Raymond Oldman, who had a story to tell. It was Oldman, a retired construction worker from Utah, who proposed that the school’s mascot be the Redskins when Red Mesa first opened, he told the crowd. His reason: He was a huge Washington Redskins fan.

In the second half, the Redskins continued running up the score. When the clock signaled the game’s end, Red Mesa celebrated 14 quarters of keeping their opponents scoreless, sealing yet another blowout, 46-0, and bringing their record to 6-2. They hurried off the field, changed clothes and joined their families for a barbecue, where the same joke about their NFL namesake was repeated again and again:

At least these Redskins win.

Wow!  I'm surprises the WP ran the story below:

In Arizona, a Navajo high school emerges as a defender of the Washington Redskins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in-arizona-a-navajo-high-school-emerges-as-a-defender-of-the-washington-redskins/2014/10/26/dcfc773a-592b-11e4-8264-deed989ae9a2_story.html?hpid=z2

To me, it is telling that the only ridicule that the high schoolers faced with their trip to the game was from that of the protestors.  I also think it is sad that it has come to that. 

I wonder what Blackhorse is doing to improve the water situation at the school?  I mean she cares a lot about her people and their fight.  So, it is obvious she is doing something to improve their situation right? 

By Ian Shapira October 26 at 9:54 PM

No offense Riggo-toni, but this is one article that we should click. It would help send the message to the WP that we aren't up for one sided debates. We want to receive the whole story. It is about time they took notice of Red Mesa.

To me, it is telling that the only ridicule that the high schoolers faced with their trip to the game was from that of the protestors.  I also think it is sad that it has come to that. 

I found that interesting too. It shows you the kind of people you're dealing with.

They don't have the support they need to effectively boycott or cause any real change. So now they have to attack those they disagree with, to the point of harassing a high schooler implying he's somehow a traitor to his race.

They don't bother to think about the optics of saying you're doing something to defend a race, then attacking people of that race.

“We just let [blackhorse] talk,” said Al Begay, Red Mesa’s athletic director, sitting in his office. “This protest feels like it’s coming from one person.”

so, we're not the only ones.....

i'm biased, but thats about as damning an article for the protesters side as i've read. 

and to think it ran in the post.

color me shocked.

Hope this guy wins a seat on council:

His grandfather, Steven Benally, 55, a candidate for the Navajo Nation Tribal Council, pointed to the jug of water in their kitchen. Because his wife is a gifted-and-talented teacher at Red Mesa, they get to live on campus, but they can’t drink the tap water. It has been contaminated by high levels of arsenic and uranium, and everyone at the school and in nearby homes must drink bottled water.

“We have far more important issues to expend our energy on” than a team name, Benally said. “A lot of the buildings here are from the 1970s. Our grandson doesn’t even have a biology teacher. Tell Snyder we want a wellness center.”

Kelvin chimed in: “Or at least give us money for some clean water.”

Imagine,, if 25 years ago Harjo and Blackhorse decided to campaign for awareness to REAL problems,, and then imagine if every Kardashian Kulture Facebook Fool who thinks the name change is a 'no brainer' and sneers down their nose at people who think otherwise had donated even ONE dollar each to these real problems, they would be well on their way to ..     clean drinking water.

Clean. Drinking. Water.

(Here in the US. )

but no, the Redskins name causes so m,uch of the inferiority complex that leads to living with poisoned drinking water, by all means let's fight for 25 years to get it changed.

Ignorant.

~Bang

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-navajo-high-school-washington-redskins-161407621.html

red mesa redskins story is on yahoo now. 

a couple of things-

“We want to let our children know who are being used today that we are here for them," Blackhorse said. "We are not going to disparage them ... because they don’t know any better. The adults in that school should know better, and they are not informed of this issue — and shame on them for that."

saying 'they are not informed' means that there is information to be learned on this issue. what is that information? redskins=scalps, of course. its a slur, of course. 

at least, according to blackhorse and 59 protestors in her back yard.

i make this point because blackhorse herself is appealing to facts, so for people who accept the "they are offended, and thats all you need" argument, this is a bit if a change up. 

if she wants to appeal to historical facts, its game on. shes playing our game, and she will lose. 

i'd love to hear mr cobbs argument, along with why he says 'washington' redskins as opposed to the name. i'm sure its nothing we've ever heard,  i'm also sure as a government teacher, he has no bias in this debate. 

Wesley Cobb, a government teacher at Red Mesa High, disagrees.

“The Washington Redskins is a profoundly racist name, and I think we as educators need to provide some history and context,” Cobb told the Post

It's to the WP (and the rest of the media's) interest to keep "the controversy" going.

Anything that gets people to buy papers or click pages.

it is definitely dying a slow death IMO.  The name is not changing.  It's all over but the shouting.

The final nail will not be if but when the Redskins win their appeal of the trademark cancellation.  This will prove there is no way this name change can be forced, and if sponsors were going to cut ties they would have done it by now.  

What else can the name change crowd do that they have not already done?

it is definitely dying a slow death IMO.  The name is not changing.  It's all over but the shouting.

The final nail will not be if but when the Redskins win their appeal of the trademark cancellation.  This will prove there is no way this name change can be forced, and if sponsors were going to cut ties they would have done it by now.  

What else can the name change crowd do that they have not already done?

Isn't there gonna be a big protest this week at Minnesota?  I thought I've heard something about that, but honestly, I've tried to take a step back from this topic lately.

Isn't there gonna be a big protest this week at Minnesota?  I thought I've heard something about that, but honestly, I've tried to take a step back from this topic lately.

I have taken a step back because I think it's over. They can have their protest of they want but nobody is really paying attention or cares. America is over this topic

I have taken a step back because I think it's over. They can have their protest of they want but nobody is really paying attention or cares. America is over this topic

im cautiously optimistic that this is the case. i think the 'debate' has reached its crescendo. i've seen more native americans speaking out lately. i think the daily show saw more backlash than they expected. i think the public in general is starting to see the protesters as extremists with fringe views who are a tiny minority. 

when the washington post is putting out articles about natives in favor of the name, it cant be good for the other side. 

ironically, its blackhorse who wants people to be informed on this issue. the more people are informed, the worse she looks. 

Isn't there gonna be a big protest this week at Minnesota? I thought I've heard something about that, but honestly, I've tried to take a step back from this topic lately.

Expect largest demonstrations to date possibly drawing national press coverage.

Wow, last time that happened NINE people showed up.

Don't hold your breath.

Remember how the U of Minnesota was not going to print our name on tickets or programs or say our name over the PA and how everyone thought that was such a thing 3 or 4 months ago...    who gives a crap now?

Has it even been mentioned this week?

the Redskins have been in the news this week,, big win, and now RG3 returning,, and no one has mentioned this big protest at all. No one cares about the tickets, the PA announcer, or the program.

You'd think now would be the time to get loud to make this largest protest to date known... but nary a peep.

As with most caterwauling, this is crying itself out.

~Bang

why should we expect this? what are you basing this on?

Minnesota has turned out the largest protests, hundreds last year, 3,000 at the Superbowl in 1992 according to this article:

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/280807902.html?page=1&c=y

Why they can only turn out 60 in Phoenix and 24 in Dallas while drawing hundreds in Minneapolis is an interesting question.  I would expect about a thousand protesters given some of the stuff I have seen on social media.

I have a theory.

because Facebook activism is meaningless, and is exactly what i've been saying about this since the 'controversy' cropped back up. The Kardashian Kulture they've cultivated to inflate the importance of their protest over the name doesn't care. they like to argue online and pretend they do, but they don't. Sanctimony is an easy attitude to cop.

Facebook thumbs up and "i'm attending' button clicks are awesome to make yourself feel good while you're bored out of your skull at work, but actually going out there.. well, that is something that requires thought, action, and actual care about the topic.

i would suggest that the reason they could only turn out so few in other places was maybe because the rest of the Natives were at home trying to figure out how to get out the real problems facing them..   it's hard to take time out of your day to care about a protest over a name when you have to keep going to Costco for luxuries like clean drinking water.

Perspective. If the name change crowd could grasp the MEANING behind their continuously low turnouts to these things maybe they'd figure out that there are MUCH more important things to put energy towards.

if they turn out a few thousand, that's something to notice.

The usual few dozen,,  please.. the reasons for why are crystal clear.

~Bang

Minnesota has turned out the largest protests, hundreds last year, 3,000 at the Superbowl in 1992 according to this article:

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/280807902.html?page=1&c=y

Why they can only turn out 60 in Phoenix and 24 in Dallas while drawing hundreds in Minneapolis is an interesting question.  I would expect about a thousand protesters given some of the stuff I have seen on social media.

ya, it is weird. 

i'm going with the 'weather' theory. kinda why sports teams struggle in florida and LA. 

theres just not a hell of a lot to do in minnesota, so lets get together and have a protest. 

I'm glad Zygi and the Vikings didn't fold to that disgusting woman, Betty McCollum. 

UnWise Mike is going to be up there leading a panel discussion and a rally. 

I remember the "protest" in Green Bay last year, only 7 people showed up when Wise said there would be hundreds. I asked Wise why there wasn't a bigger turnout and he said because of the cold weather and rain. Must not be an important issue then. 

Oh and one protester was a white dude with an anti-Obama sign, I don't think he was part of the 7; just some random guy who joined in, 

Archived