Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I get it. You're that guy.

Unfortunate.

is it just me? or does it seem like the last week or two, theres been an increase in trolling in this thread?

by trolling, i'm talking specifically about posters popping in, posting some sarcastic, contrarian comment, and then arent seen for days. no attempt to engage in any kind of intelligent discussion, no comments when their side looks bad or the pro name side does something good. 

sal posting last week was a breathe of fresh air, cuz, at least after some encouragement, he started to engage posters. 

from my persepective, at least, i think that the anti name crowd and their argument is becoming a little more clear. people are starting to wake up to the bogus stories/lies that are being put out there, so theres not much to discuss. 

thats my theory anyway. 

At this point in my life/fandom I fully expected to have a competitive and competent Redskins team playing on the field and a typical non-confrontational  viewing experience on game day. I grew up in the eighties after all. But I have to hear how horrible the name is and this great controversy is raging. I can't even watch MSNBC anymore. Joy Reid compared Snyder to Columbus and then attacked the Navajo President to damage his authenticity and by extension the name. Lawrence and Ed won't stop talking about it. Lawrence even had Unwise Mike on his show. The Liberals are sounding like Limbaugh when it comes to this thing.

For some reason I've landed in the Twilight Zone where the name of my team is considered racist and I'm called a racist on the street by random people and for all the money spent on players and coaches by our bewildered, beleaguered owner we can't even buy a championship. Or win a challenge. Or kick touchbacks. Or tackle. Or throw to our own receivers. Or...you get the idea.

The Liberals are sounding like Limbaugh when it comes to this thing.

i essentially said this about the daily show piece. it was an exercise in half truths, whole untruths, 'facts' that arent facts at all, selective editing,....every old, bad argument made by the name changers in other words, complete bull****. 

but the sheep slurped it up and acted as if stewart had just cured cancer. 

it was a total limbaugh, fox news move. but some people are so blinded by idealogy to recognize it. 

The Daily show does all that all the time.

And people tend to forget it's done for comedy, regardless of the message. they're going to edit it to make their point, and make it funny.

the credibility it has as a "news' show is pretty funny, and I LOVE the show. It makes some nice points, and it exposes things, but if it is looking for something to work on and they can't make it funny, they aren't going to do it.

they're not reporters,, they're comedians.

~Bang

For some reason I've landed in the Twilight Zone where the name of my team is considered racist and I'm called a racist on the street by random people...

Don't worry about "random people" unless they're armed and dangerous. Most of "name changers" realize that "name keepers" are traditionalists and loyalists not racists. I've been a Skins fan for over 50 years who never gave our name a second thought until recently. Now I'd change the name in a heartbeat it we could keep our logo and fight song.

And then there is the constant losing ...

i essentially said this about the daily show piece. it was an exercise in half truths, whole untruths, 'facts' that arent facts at all, selective editing,....every old, bad argument made by the name changers in other words, complete bull****. 

but the sheep slurped it up and acted as if stewart had just cured cancer. 

it was a total limbaugh, fox news move. but some people are so blinded by idealogy to recognize it. 

It is very troubling. I look to news outfits to have some integrity and adherence to the truth. I also appreciate commentary and analysis by those in the media that have demonstrated an understanding of the subject matter.

But that is what is missing here. The left has accepted that because the name references skin color that the term in and of itself is racist. It exists in a vacuum. It is a concrete fact. But that is not the actual truth. I believe that the left is looking at this issue through the prism of the Civil Rights movement in the '60s. And I know that Harjo is playing upon those sensibilities.

What bothers me so much about this is that there are zero stories about the plight of the modern day NA. Its all finger waving and little Dannyboy is a Neanderthal. Since the past is an indicator of future performance I can honestly say that NA's will go back to being anonymous if/when the name is changed. Nothing good will come of this except the congratulatory back slapping of the self righteous. Truth be damned.

planter, was there a point to quoting that excerpt? What am I missing?

The Daily show does all that all the time.

And people tend to forget it's done for comedy, regardless of the message. they're going to edit it to make their point, and make it funny.

i get that, and if nobody got that before the redskins piece, you would think they would now. but, there are alot of people who take stewarts word and take on things as gospel.-just look at some of the comments by some of our posters. to their credit, i dont think anyone actually tried to defend their manipulation of the facts. outside of the 'daily show nailed it' comments, there were the usual crickets when it came to defending it.

the show does present its self as a kind of watchdog, BS detector, so, in that sense, its disappointing. 

It is very troubling. I look to news outfits to have some integrity and adherence to the truth. I also appreciate commentary and analysis by those in the media that have demonstrated an understanding of the subject matter.

But that is what is missing here. The left has accepted that because the name references skin color that the term in and of itself is racist. It exists in a vacuum. It is a concrete fact. But that is not the actual truth. I believe that the left is looking at this issue through the prism of the Civil Rights movement in the '60s. And I know that Harjo is playing upon those sensibilities.

very true.

i have the bad habit of reading the comments section, which is filled with some of the most self-righteous, ignorant people you'll find anywhere. 

you never fail to see a comment like "of course its racist!", "you wouldnt call a team blackskins", and the old scalping argument. 

yes, people see 'red' and 'skin' and automatically think racism. 

What bothers me so much about this is that there are zero stories about the plight of the modern day NA.....

Absolutely agree that plight of many modern NAs is a bigger issue.

Sorry about the vague comment on your post. I was saying that very few believe that all Skin's fans are racists. Even most of the "name changers" know that their worthy opponents are traditionalists and loyalists NOT racists.

I haven't seen anyone accuse the fans themselves of racism. Maybe insensitivity.

There have been some accusations thrown at Snyder. Based upon his ongoing associations, I'm beginning to ask some questions myself. (Seriously...Glenn ****ing Beck?!?!?!)

its definitely on other message boards or comments sections of related stories. 

of course, relating this debate to white privilege is a less harsh way to call someone a racist. kind of like, youre a racist, but its not really your fault and youre not really aware of it. 

What we see, do, and hear in real life is a far cry from what we read from faceless online posters.

Btw, I just read the full Wiki bio on Glenn beck. What a fascinating dude. I knew I didn't like him before, but his back story is pretty amazing. I hope his visit with Danny get lots of pub, but I won't hold my breath.  

Oh, well, in that case.....I mean no one else ever goes over the top in their comments online.

No one ever accuses opposing viewpoints of being self-righteous, ignorant or sheep.

youre equating 'defending redskins makes you a racist' to calling someone self righteous, ignorant or a sheep? 

At this point in my life/fandom I fully expected to have a competitive and competent Redskins team playing on the field and a typical non-confrontational  viewing experience on game day.

Yo brother. I'm next to you in section 105. I just try to have fun on game day. If having fun is dependent on what happens on the field then I'll stop going.

What bothers me so much about this is that there are zero stories about the plight of the modern day NA. Its all finger waving and little Dannyboy is a Neanderthal. Since the past is an indicator of future performance I can honestly say that NA's will go back to being anonymous if/when the name is changed. Nothing good will come of this except the congratulatory back slapping of the self righteous. Truth be damned.

the thing about this kinda thing is that there IS no truth.  Perception is reality. 

If people start to feel like a word is offensive, then eventually that becomes a self fulfilling fact, regardless of whether or not it used to be true, or "should" be true, or is based on a load of malarkey.     It is frustrating but true that the name-change crusaders can end up being "justified" (meaning in the end "correct") even if they were completely full of poop when they started.

is it just me?

sal posting last week was a breathe of fresh air, cuz, at least after some encouragement, he started to engage posters. 

thats my theory anyway. 

It's not just you.

Some of these folks don't post anything other than this stuff it seems.

Sal was fine, A little off his rocker, but at least he admitted it.

the thing about this kinda thing is that there IS no truth.  Perception is reality. 

If people start to feel like a word is offensive, then eventually that becomes a self fulfilling fact, regardless of whether or not it used to be true, or "should" be true, or is based on a load of malarkey.     It is frustrating but true that the name-change crusaders can end up being "justified" (meaning in the end "correct") even if they were completely full of poop when they started.

In my past job, I worked closely with three black women. At some point, I invited them to a "picnic." They all looked at me like I had just dropped an F-bomb in the middle of church.

They were all college educated and all believed that the word picnic has its origins as a party to witness lynchings. I said that can't possibly be true and looked into. Turns out, it can't possibly be true.

http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/picnic.asp

I went back, explained this to all of them, and said "I'm going to keep saying picnic."

One looked at me and said, "When you are around black people, it's a barbecue."

Guess what? When I'm around black people, a picnic is a barbecue.

Archived