Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

little big man (aka Daniel Synder) hit an all time low inviting Shelley and his wife to the game. Loser!

Get off of our board Mr. Feinstein... How do we know the two of them didn't develop a friendship during their discussions? I KNEW people would jump all over this as soon as I saw that pop up on the TV.

little big man (aka Daniel Synder) hit an all time low inviting Shelley and his wife to the game. Loser!

the depth of this post is such that i could not possibly be reached with the most advanced soviet sonar. hope you didnt hurt yourself posting it. 

congratulations.

And the original poster who tossed that idea into the conversation, his logic and points as to changing the theme/name/etc. and honoring our current military being no different than honoring Native American warriors is a stretch and weak.

There is a real difference in the perception of the meaning of the team name depending on where you sit. The Redskins are in the position where someone else is defining who they are. When GPM renamed the team and gave it a new logo, probably in concert with his new head coach, he didn't define what the name meant. I don't think anyone knows what he would have said, but his mission was to sell tickets. The new Washington Redskins would define themselves. Others will continue to debate what the old name meant, but the team would have moved on.

The ancient mythology of War Gods include many deities with red skin or red physical features:

• Mars was the red skinned Roman God of War.

• Kwan Tai-the red skinned Chinese buddhist god of war was revered for integrity and loyalty.

• Mixcoatl is an Aztec God of War and is represented with a black mask over his eyes and distinctive red and white “candy-cane stripes” painted on his body.

• The Hindu God Mangala is painted red and represents drive and physical energy, self-confidence and ego, strength, anger, impulsiveness, heroism and adventurous nature. Mangala rules over blood, muscles and bone marrow and is associated with battle, war and soldiers.

• In ancient Celtic religion, Rudianos was a war god worshiped in Gaul. The name "Rudianos" means red, reflecting the warlike nature of the god.

• Guan Yu, a Chinese God of War, is portrayed as a red-faced warrior with a long lush beard.

• Thor, the Norse God of War, was depicted with long flowing red hair and red beard.

• Macha Mong Ruad, an Irish Queen and warrior literally means "red mane". According to medieval legend and historical tradition, she is the only woman in the List of High Kings of Ireland.

Warriors of many cultures colored their skin red:

• Roman generals and soldiers returning to Rome from triumphant campaigns painted their entire bodies red symbolizing their bond with Mars, the red god of war.

• To Native Americans the color red symbolized war, strength, energy and power. In addition to using natural dyes to color their skin red they also painted their axes and spear-catapults red to endow the weapons with magic powers.

• The ancient Egyptians began manufacturing pigments from red ochre in about 4000 BC. They associated red with victory and Egyptian men would color their skin red for victory celebrations.

• Neolithic hunters and germanic warriors used to paint their weapons and even themselves in blood of slain animals. Wearing a red ruby was supposed to bring about invincibility.

• Red was used to color statues and the skin of gladiators in ancient Rome.

• In Central Africa, Ndembu warriors rub themselves with red paint during celebrations.

• On the coast of South Africa, paleoanthropologists in 2000 found evidence that, between 170,000 and 40,000 years ago, Late Stone Age people were scraping and grinding ochre, a clay colored red by iron oxide, to color their bodies red.

Warriors of many cultures employed red symbolism or red clothing:

• A full Spartan soldier wore a red cloak.

• Red was also a badge of rank. During the Chinese Song Dynasty (906–1279) red was the color worn by the royal guards of honor,

• In the Middle Ages, a red flag announced that the defenders of a town or castle would fight to defend it, and a red flag hoisted by a warship meant they would show no mercy to their enemy.

• Roman soldiers wore red tunics, and officers wore a cloak called a paludamentum which, depending upon the quality of the dye, could be crimson, scarlet or purple.

• The vexilloid of the Roman Empire had a red background with the letters SPQR in gold.

• The red military uniform was adopted by the British Army in 1645, and was still worn as a dress uniform until the outbreak of the First World War in August 1914.

• The red poppy flower is worn on Remembrance Day in Commonwealth countries to honor soldiers who died in the First World War.

The Indians tapped into the red warrior thing but they don't own it. Just because they don't teach some things to our children in school doesn't mean that we have to limit ourselves to that set of knowledge. The Redskins need to broaden the definition of the team name to a universal definition that credits the color red with character traits such as strength, courage, never quitting and success, just like it has been defined for thousands of years all over the globe. The military thing is obvious but not necessary. Those same exact character traits remind me of several folks I know who are fighting cancer. To be a Redskin is to be strong, have courage, never quit and enjoy your success, regardless of what you do. Define it, promote it and leave the past behind.

Loved seeing the Navajo Pres in the box with Snyder. I suppose we will now hear the story about how he was kidnapped and held at gun point in the box for the duration of the game. Forced to wear the Redskins hat the whole time.

1932491_10154721611520790_63350312928776

Their going with this

http://deadspin.com/disgraced-soon-to-be-former-navajo-nation-president-at-1645509844

while Halbritter continues to stay squeaky clean

I find it interesting you're so hung up on it.

What's up with that?  it's neat that you're pretty much displaying exactly why I am tired of that all of the military "support" causes.

How dare you question my patriotism based on a football team's hypothetical name scenario.

Bang, I can understand why you thought that I was questioning your patriotism and I apologize for not expressing myself clearly. I was assuming your patriotism but was questioning the basis of your loyalty to Indians because honestly I've gotten pretty fed up with some Indians. Pretty angry actually. My aggressive questioning had nothing to do with patriotism, it was directed at all of our positive assumptions about Indians. One day a few months ago after spending weeks researching the topic I came to the conclusion that The folks leading the fight against the Redskins, Susan Harjo, Amanda Blackhorse, Clyde Bellecourt and Ray Halbritter are all self centered liars who are just interested in pumping up their own egos and status within the Indian community. The integrity, bravery and honor that Redskin fans have believed are the hallmarks of Native American warriors are absent in these people. I realize that they may not be representative and that there are plenty who disagree with them but they seem to be gaining a voice, a voice that keeps repeating lies in spite of the mountain of evidence to the contrary. Do I want my football team associated with these people? They at least have a case to make based on the truth, and at a minimum they have an opportunity to shine a light on real problems that their people face. Instead they have chosen to poison the day with lies and unfounded accusations of racism directed at anyone who disagrees with them.

Once again I would never question anyone's patriotism. It's too personal of a thing, which probably makes your point that having a football team try to be themed on honoring the military is not a good thing. I live in Virginia Beach which is dominated much more by the military than D.C. is. My wife works for the Navy and comes from a Navy family. I don't question anyone's patriotism. I'm just really irritated with some Indians. I used a false choice between honoring the military versus honoring Indian warriors when I should have just explained my recent conclusions about some Indian leaders. Sorry for the confusion.

frankthorpNBC

Redskins owner Dan Snyder sitting w/ the President of the Navajo nation at today's #Redskins game in Arizona: http://t.co/LGNZGjnrgP

The comments are pathetic. Native Americans in favor of the name, so let's say they were bought off. Good job, attack people you supposedly care about enough to claim offense for, just because they disagree. Just shows for many it's about the agenda, not the actual people.

I'm glad to see more prominent Native Americans showing support for the name.

LOL looks like Dan Snyder found the Native American Wayne Brady

Nice. Couldn't be that the President of Navajo nation is like 90% of NAs and doesn't take issue. No, he doesn't agree with you so he must be a sellout. So now not only are people who are supposedly concerned about NAs being offended ignoring what the majority really think, but now they are also outright slandering Native Americans for not agreeing with them, likening them to Uncle Tom's and sellouts. That's a great attitude to show you really care about NAs! 

Archived