Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Despite all the talk, there is no chance that all you guys would simply stop watching the NFL. It's in your blood. You might be mad at the Washington Football Club, but you'd still watch.

I was wrestling with this the other day.  My wife and I are HUGE fans of our teams (Redskins for me, Steelers for her)  We purchase the NFL ticket each year, but Redskins and Steelers clothes for ourselves and our kids, go to at least one game per team each year, etc.

If the Redskins were to change their name then I think my feelings towards the team would change, at least for the short term.  I would still wear my Redskins clothes, drink from my Redskins cup, and have my Redskins stuff around the house, on my car, etc, but I would be slow in changing it over to the new teams products.  

When the new team name was on TV it would be easier for me to skip a week, not frequent ES as much, drop to just one fantasy league per year, stop the NFL Ticket and switch to watching the games online for my wife.  

While I know that the team name is just a name and the team is still the same, the team to me is the Redskins.  Changing the team name does change the team to me and while I know I would still be a fan, the devotion I have would lessen.

I'd never switch teams if they took the name away.  But unlike me "begrudgingly" accepting the Wizards, I would still call them the Redskins.

As someone who watched the Bullets change to the Wizards, I was totally against it from the beginning.  I hated the farce of a "name the team contest" that Pollin had going, when all along he wanted the name Wizards.  It was no secret and when he opened that envelope with that ****ty look on his face, we all knew what the name was going to be.  He could not market the name Bullets.  We were lagging behind most teams in jersey sales, despite going from the 70s uniforms that Unseld wore, to the solid white and solid red uniforms at the end of the 80s.  Pollin used his friend's assassination as a chance to change the name in hopes that he could sell more merchandise. I mean, not only did he change the name, but he changed the colors for both the Bullets and Capitals to that awful "teal" that everyone was sporting in the mid 90s. 

I do not own any Wizards merchandise to this day.  I have all my Bullets gear and won't give it up.  The Wizards name is the name for a soccer team, the logo is cartoonish and is downright embarrassing to say.  Sure, the Bullets sucked from 1980 until 1998 with the old name, just as the Wizards have sucked with their current name.  Nobody denies that.  Even with the return to the Red, White and Blue, the uniforms look like garbage with Wizards on them. 

A team's nickname isn't just a name they threw in there.  It's the identity of the team that sets it apart from other teams, unless you are the Rangers, Jets or Oilers.  I was born in raised in the DC, but I didn't root for those teams because they had Washington attached, I rooted for them because they were the Redskins, Bullets and Capitals.  If I were younger, I would have been a Senators fan and if they had have replaced the Sens sooner, I may have been a Natiionals fan, but that's neither here nor there.  It would break my heart if I had to go through yet another team name change.  

For those of you who are Reskin fans, has there been ONE time where you've been around someone calling a Native American "Redskin" to their face or even in passing.  I've been alive for almost 46 years and never once have I heard that used as a pejorative.  I've heard, "Injun," "Injun Joe," "Cheif," or "Geronimo."  Hell, there was a guy my father knew (he's probably around 70 now) that called them "blanket asses," but I have never heard the term Redskin used except for the team and potatoes.

If they change, I'll still wear my Redskin stuff and refer to them as the Redskins. I won't buy any new gear nor accept the new name.  But I won't stop rooting for the team.

Baltimore Colts fans now route for the Ravens.  That name change doesn't affect them.  I used to be against changing the name.  Now I feel like I'm on the fence just b/c I'm sick and tired of hearing about it.

IF we change the name, I vote for "Warpath".  Keep the colors, and if we ditch the indian logo, use the spear.

Washington Warpath sounds better than Washington Warriors in my opinion.

More people showed up for the "Bring Tebow to Jacksonville" rally than showed up for the Anti redskins rally.

Course, it's not like that is hard to do.. the Tebow rally had less than 2 dozen, and still ten more than the anti-redskins protest.

Means nothing, but I found it rather humorous.

there's obvious such strong support for this.

Media bull****.

~Bang

Baltimore Colts fans now route for the Ravens.  That name change doesn't affect them.  I used to be against changing the name.  Now I feel like I'm on the fence just b/c I'm sick and tired of hearing about it.

IF we change the name, I vote for "Warpath".  Keep the colors, and if we ditch the indian logo, use the spear.

Washington Warpath sounds better than Washington Warriors in my opinion.

Sorry SU.  Not comparable.  If the Redskins moved to LA, I would be forced to make a choice to stay with the LA Redskins or adopt an expansion or moved team to DC with a new name.  The Colts are still in existance and the Ravens were the Browns.  That's why you see alot of cities keeping the nicknames when a team moves (Browns and Supersonics).  The cities hold those nicknames in high regard, otherwise, they would have said, "meh" you can have it.  Will just get any old name.

Here in Charlotte, the fans "LOVED" their Hornets.  When their owner moved them to New Orleans, the city got another team.  For the life of me, I rarely see anything "Bobcats" around here.  Not because they suck, but because the name doesn't fit the city. Bob Johnson named the team after himself.  A British General during the Revolutionary War described Charlotte as a "Hornets Nest," hence the name.  You should have seen all the "Hornets" gear around here 2 months ago when they announced they were getting their name back after New Orleans became the Pelicans and gave up the name Hornets. There is something in a name.  I'm not giving up Redskins to appease 9 people and some white guilt sportswriters.

REDSKINS REDSKINS REDSKINS REDSKINS! 

Hope I didn't offend anyone

I don't think there's enough outrage that isn't due to the media that is going to change the name.  You don't see large groups protesting.  It's a dozen or so people who just want something to **** about and don't know where the name truly originated from.

Since it originated from the body paint they wore, how about the Washington Red Body Paints?

This "MUST" be defeated?  This is our "line in the sand"?  We should stop following the team if it changes the name?  This is our Masada - we will die to defend our god-given right to use the word "Redskin"?

Seems a little over the top to me.  

I agree.

I love the tradition and heritage of the team and don't really follow them because of Washington, DC. I follow them because that's what I've done for 30 years. It's the same reason that I follow the Orioles despite having a closer, better option. It's the same reason I follow the Hoosiers in college hoops even though Georgetown and George Mason are more logical.

If the team became the Anacostia Admirals tomorrow and wore Navy Blue, I'd still follow them. Their history is linked to mine and that's what I care about. Not a name. Not a logo. Not colors. I love the Redskins tradition very much, but this issue isn't so binary to me. I wouldn't just be able to stop caring about the franchise that has brought me so many great memories and I've been loyal to for most of my life.

I currently don't believe there is enough smoke to be concerned about a fire. The majority of the noise out there is just that (UnWise Mike, etc.). But if more tribes or groups begin speaking up and telling us that they are offended, I believe a change has to be considered. Who are we to tell people that they shouldn't be or aren't offended by something? Granted, the most likely change would be a related name, the same colors, and an updated logo...minor.

I agree with war paint. Some people may be ok with our heritage, history, and our logo ripped from us. If for some reason Danny rolls over and changes our team name or logo, the NFL would never get a dime from me. My football watching will move from Sundays to Friday at a local high school.

The heritage and history would remain. The only thing we'd be losing is the logo and name (as well as some fans, apparently). It's a pretty unprecedented situation and I think there would be less fallout than you guys are expecting.

If they are called the Braves and wear a spear or feather on their helmet (as they did before the Indian head logo even existed), would you really be that irate for that long?

People are free to feel as they wish but for me, this is not a line in the sand.  If they don't change the name, and I have no fear of saying REDSKINS, then I'm fine with it.  If they do, I'm not going to abandon ship because of it.  I'm a hometown fan and I don't understand being anything else.  This is my town, these are my people, and these teams are from here and thus my teams.  This philosophy hasn't served me terribly well and has given me some awful teams to root for but there it is.  

I wear my beat up redskins cap all the time and don't plan on stopping.  I love that hat.  

Despite all the talk, there is no chance that all you guys would simply stop watching the NFL. It's in your blood. You might be mad at the Washington Football Club, but you'd still watch.

No, I wouldn't.  I might watch some big games like the playoffs or the SB, but the days of me following the Redskins every Sunday will be over.

Sorry SU.  Not comparable.  If the Redskins moved to LA, I would be forced to make a choice to stay with the LA Redskins or adopt an expansion or moved team to DC with a new name.  The Colts are still in existance and the Ravens were the Browns.  That's why you see alot of cities keeping the nicknames when a team moves (Browns and Supersonics).  The cities hold those nicknames in high regard, otherwise, they would have said, "meh" you can have it.  Will just get any old name.

Here in Charlotte, the fans "LOVED" their Hornets.  When their owner moved them to New Orleans, the city got another team.  For the life of me, I rarely see anything "Bobcats" around here.  Not because they suck, but because the name doesn't fit the city. Bob Johnson named the team after himself.  A British General during the Revolutionary War described Charlotte as a "Hornets Nest," hence the name.  You should have seen all the "Hornets" gear around here 2 months ago when they announced they were getting their name back after New Orleans became the Pelicans and gave up the name Hornets. There is something in a name.  I'm not giving up Redskins to appease 9 people and some white guilt sportswriters.

With the Bobcats, I think the other name they were considering was "Flight".  I think the Charlotte Flight sounded a lot cooler than Bobcats.  I really don't get Charlotte's obsession with naming their sports teams after cats.  They are going back to the Hornets from what I understand so I think a lot of people in Charlotte will be happy.

With the Bobcats, I think the other name they were considering was "Flight". I think the Charlotte Flight sounded a lot cooler than Bobcats. I really don't get Charlotte's obsession with naming their sports teams after cats. They are going back to the Hornets from what I understand so I think a lot of people in Charlotte will be happy.

They are ecstatic to have the name back. The AAA baseball team is the Knights and the AAA hockey team is the Checkers.

Can the government really force a private company to change their name?

The Redskins were only forced to hire black people because the federal government owned RFK Stadium and threatened to cut off their lease.   The fact that we were the last team to integrate and did so only under protest was part and parcel of our being the "Team of the South."  

That was a long time ago, but it may be influencing people now in their underlying feelings about whether the name is insensitive.  :whoknows:

The Redskins were only forced to hire black people because the federal government owned RFK Stadium and threatened to cut off their lease.   The fact that we were the last team to integrate and did so only under protest was part and parcel of our being the "Team of the South."  

That was a long time ago, but it may be influencing people now in their underlying feelings about whether the name is insensitive.  :whoknows:

Yeah, I hear you. 

Me, I don't think it's relevant, because there's too much evidence that no, the name isn't insulting.  (It doesn't offend the people supposedly offended.  And, while the team did discriminate against blacks, it didn't discriminate against "Indians".)  

But then, it does give ammunition to the critics. 

And I've heard so many people claim that the owner was actually racist against blacks, (he didn't just discriminate because he was scared his customers were racists.), that I assume it's true. 

And I've heard so many people claim that the owner was actually racist against blacks, (he didn't just discriminate because he was scared his customers were racists.), that I assume it's true. 

To solidify your assumption, Bobby Mitchell has talked of how he was forced to sing Dixie at the welcome home luncheon in 1962. GPM stood there nudging Mitchell's shoulder, making sure he was extra gleeful in his debut performance. 

Mitchell's intro was a huge day in team history, thus the eye witness accounts we've read of those events are likely legit claims about the conduct of GPM.

I'll follow this city's team, no matter what they're called. I'm not saying I'll like it, but the DC team will forever be my home.

GO REDSKINS!

That's how it is for me. I feel the same way about the Redskins as many Bostonians do about the Red Sox. My grandfather was a Redskins fan, my father's a Redskins fan and I'm a Redskins fan. It has nothing to do with the nickname. It's because of what comes before the nickname.

I'm a Washingtonian born and bred and I will always support that team in some way, shape or form, so long as they say in the D.C. Area. 

lol...

LOL...

EL OH EL!!!

Real talk, this whole debate to me, isn't about the Redskins changing it's name. Barring a relocation, this is my team FOREVER!!! They could be called the Washington Washingtons with George Washington as a mascot, and I will still rep them. No, this is not about changing the Redskins name...

This is about the media trying to force my team to do something that my team doesn't want to do and have been proven right in their decision already in court. Even though they have been shot down time after time. FACT AFTER FACT has been thrown out by various amounts of individuals showing the TRUE origins of the term Redskins. Polls have been conducted, and the overall results have been heavy for the Redskins. But yet, every time I hear a media member reference the word Redskins, they base their opinion on nothing other than that they think the name is racist.

Then people say words can take meaning over time... well for as long as I can remember, the word Redskins has meant the football team from DC, or potatoes. So doesn't that mean, over time, the word has changed to what we know it as today?

This is a line in the sand. I am not going to watch the media pick on my team and don't fight back. Every time someone brings up the topic of the Redskins name being offensive, I throw facts at them. All the media can do is throw the dictionary at me. 

Again, this is my home. Born, raised, and residing and Washington, DC. A name change won't stop me from rooting for my team, but this isn't what this issue is about...

Only way we change the name is if Snyder start to lose money. So keep buying your RG3 and Cousins shirts to line Snyder pockets and keep our team name. Another way is a viral video of a NA being called a redskin while taking a beating. The main reason it's not changed is due to the NA population being so small. Nobody gives a **** about them and presidential candidates don't care about their vote. They have no real voice in the US and we rarely run into them on the east coast. You never heard anyone use redskin as a slur because you are rarely around a NA. I never knew red head kids were the butt of all jokes until I watched a episode of What Would You Do. Never went to school with a ginger or experienced one getting bullied.

You never heard anyone use redskin as a slur because you are rarely around a NA.

I don't know if this was directed at me or not... My father's best friend was a Native American. Now granted I haven't seen him for years, but when I did see him, he never brought the topic of the Redskins being offensive. Matter of fact, I think he was a Redskins fan. Also, I had a history teacher who I have known since I was 14. He and his family are of the Namsemund(sp) tribe. I don't think he watches sports, but he knows I am a Redskins fan. In the last 10 years, I think we only talked about the Redskins once, and that was only because I wore a Blackhawks hat one day and he thought it was a new Redskins logo.

Now, why I may not be around Native Americans everyday, I have, and still do, associate with a fair amount of them...

If this wasn't directed at me, I apologize. But since I think it is, all I have to say is you don't know who I know or don't know.

Archived