Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

redskins-old-logo.gif

Washington Redskins

Take the ambiguous meaning route. If you remove NA imagery and say that 'redskins' refers to sunburned fans in the stands. Or even better, 'redskins' refers to the great players that have come through this franchise for 80 years. Whatever they would come up with, the opposition could no longer claim racial slur.

Washington Redskins

Take the ambiguous meaning route. If you remove NA imagery and that say that 'redskins' refers to sunburned fans in the stands. Or even better, 'redskins' refers to the great players that have come through this franchise for 80 years. Whatever they would come up with, the opposition could no longer claim racial slur.

I'd be fine with this. And goodbye any NA logos. Frankly, NAs do not have the market cornered on 'Redskin'. Catch me anytime in the summer.

KMIA, Redskins stays.

Oh yea, pull the plug on any assistance offered prior.

Pull the plug on any assistance? Yeah...okay.

It sounds callous, and I'm guessing we haven't offered massive donations.

But I know they have made contributions and efforts to promote NA history. Cya

Sorry, but why try and hold in reverence a culture that just challenged you from using their imagery, name or likeness.

Yea, pull all support

You mean one part of a culture. A very small part of it until we hear or see otherwise. So in an act of spite,(because that's all that it would be),we penalize those who support the name as well,(which I think happens if the name is changed as well mind you). Outstanding idea,especially from a public relations standpoint. Let's not only talk around many Native Americans about this issue and flat out leave many of them out of the conversation in general,but let's go ahead insult them all with something like that. Yikes. 

Well, can't say I ever support 'not supporting' those in need. I'm a known bleeding heart.

However, if there is a vocal majority, they need to stand up if indeed they do support it.

I know it's not 'an outstanding idea'. But either is allowing the vocal minority to let this go so far.

Snyder can always donate somewhere else. Yes, that would punish those that support it. But at least a needy group would benefit.

maybe he should start getting those supporters in writing to continue help if there is a change. Maybe that will get the true % of those that support name

But again, this is if we 'lose' the name change battle. Sorry, I just don't feel you can have your cake and eat it to.

Well, can't say I ever support 'not supporting' those in need. I'm a known bleeding heart.

However, if there is a vocal majority, they need to stand up if indeed they do support it.

I know it's not 'an outstanding idea'. But either is allowing the vocal minority to let this go so far.

Snyder can always donate somewhere else. Yes, that would punish those that support it. But at least a needy group would benefit.

maybe he should start getting those supporters in writing to continue help if there is a change. Maybe that will get the true % of those that support name

But again, this is if we 'lose' the name change battle. Sorry, I just don't feel you can have your cake and eat it to.

You can't argue that if they don't shut up the money stops and that the money isn't just an attempt to buy support. Indeed, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Like I said when OAF first came up, it's wonderful but it's entirely separate from the name issue. It has to be. Connecting the two makes this organization look slimy and manipulative.

Don't know what OAF (original American I guess) is. But I'm not supporting throwing hush money around. And it's not a threat. But really, you were just told you can't use this cultures likeness...thank you sir, may I have another.

My premise is on the basis we lost the name change. I can't see how anyone would continue to expect support from Snyder.

I would argue any team as successful as NFL teams should be active in there logo if appropriate.

Teams with animals themes should donate to respective causes. Teams with NA imagery should support related issues.

I'm not saying stop the 'hush money'. I dont support 'hush money' or 'threat money' because i dont find it to be a slur. But if we had to change, than it is what it is. Not a sticking point for me in this matter, but one I wouldn't anticipate conceding.

I really just thought it an after thought when I posted. Yea, kinda spiteful, but hard not to be.

I mean, not like I would stop caring about the plight of a group of people. But I would fully support Snyder funneling his efforts to other causes. I just can't see how you couldnt

And my argument wasn't 'if they don't shut up', the money stops. It was simply if we lose, well you lose too. I never would threaten that if we lose than I'm withdrawing support.. That would be corrupt. But if we lose, man, you gotta cut your ties

Enough said.

Sorry if someone already posted.

Infinity.

That's how many times it's been posted. I'm at the point to where the next time someone posts it, I'm banning them. :)

http://www.findthatlogo.com/wp-content/gallery/washington-redskins-logos/redskins-old-logo.gif[/img

Washington Redskins

Take the ambiguous meaning route. If you remove NA imagery and that say that 'redskins' refers to sunburned fans in the stands. Or even better, 'redskins' refers to the great players that have come through this franchise for 80 years. Whatever they would come up with, the opposition could no longer claim racial slur.

I'm so down with this, in fact I prefer this over our current logo.

Remove all Native American imagery (logo, feathers, spears, etc.) and bring back the Lombardi R (sans feathers) or put the curly R on the helmet. The curly R would be a great homage to coach Gibbs who wore the curly R baseball cap.

Also discourage fans from wearing headdresses, these are considered sacred in some tribes.

Just do it, get it over with so our boys can get back to playing ball without distractions.

So, to review.

1. Don't change the name

2. If its forced, go with the Washington Football club. Fans will still use Redskins daily

3. If forced to choose a new name. Then Warriors.

I found this review both helpful and enlightening, let alone I laughed hard reading it twice. I do agree with the points fully and thanks, I don't know why it hit me funny but it did. 

"@radioinsight: Redskins Trademark Battle Spreads To Radio Holdings - http://wp.me/pc2mR-ndV " this is getting nutty! Don't piss off the FCC

Historically, the FCC has been reluctant to give broadcast licenses to people who advocate racially intolerant positions.

Read more at: http://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/89275/redskins-trademark-battle-spreads-to-radio-holdings/

How does the left and right get licensed then? I have heard some pretty crazy stuff on the radio, from shock jocks to far reaching politicos. 

How can anyone think, that if we're forced to change the name, that somehow we'd be able to keep the logo & fight song.

Ain't gonna happen.

The PC Doo Doo Gooders end game is, different name, logo, and fight song. Banning anyone from wearing the racists Redskins gear in public. And restitution from the Redskins & the NFL for years of pain and suffering.

So again, if we're forced to change, then change everything. Because in essence, the Washington Redskins, and all their history, will be, history.

No reference, in any way to NA's. We would need their approval anyway, if we bend over for the Doo Doo Gooders.

New name, new colors, new logo, new location.

Name? Deadskins

Logo? A Zombie

Colors? Shades of Gray, White, & Blood Red

Location? Los Angeles

Sammy Baugh was a redskin, Sonny Jurgensen was a redskin, Joe Gibbs was a redskin, John Riggins was a redskin, The Hogs were redskins, Darrell Green was a redskin, Art Monk was a redskin, Clinton Portis was a redskin, Chris Cooley was a redskin, etc. THOSE were the Redskins and the name should honor them. Remove NA imagery completely, keep the name, but also keep the Original Americans Foundation. They're doing a good thing with that regardless of any naming controversy. I also like the idea of recycling the Lombardi logo minus the feathers. That would look sharp.

Infinity.

That's how many times it's been posted. I'm at the point to where the next time someone posts it, I'm banning them. :)

lol Wow okay. Sorry if I was too lazy to stroll through the 171 pages to see if there was another po-ta-to pix. 

Don't worry I'll help spread the word.

Infinity.

Ah come on TK, think of all the concession stand possibiltities if our logo was a potato! Boardwalk Fries everywhere!

What is Abe pollins son linking to when he mentions an "almost certain substantial majority" in his article?

Having interwebs problems at the moment and can't seem to get the link to work.

The same survey that was collected at Pow-Wows from California State University. Maybe my reading comprehension is off today and I am not looking at the study with clear vision.

Edit: Because my reading comprehension does suck today. Glad I put the disclaimer here. :)

How can anyone think, that if we're forced to change the name, that somehow we'd be able to keep the logo & fight song.

Ain't gonna happen.

The PC Doo Doo Gooders end game is, different name, logo, and fight song. Banning anyone from wearing the racists Redskins gear in public. And restitution from the Redskins & the NFL for years of pain and suffering.

So, you're predicting that i could get arrested or a citation if i wear my redskins cap in public?

How do they go about 'banning' any of this?

they can take away a trademark, but even THAT can't force them to stop using it.

There's not a thing that the government can 'force' on this front.

~Bang

I think the most galling thing about Abe's son's article is he's admitted that the post contacted him specifically asking him to write this type of article.

At this point the Post has abandoned any hopes of the notion of "journalism" and is going full activist mode.

Archived