Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

So the team changes to Warriors, adapts the logo in Skins Gold Pants post, and we can call them the G.I.s. (Government Issue, after all)

There's a bit of ring in that.

we could call the defensive captain Sgt. Rock   :D

~Bang

I'm saying this under the assumption that the Skins fight tooth and nail to avoid a change. Then enough jerks on the hill go to the NFL on the DL and say "Look, make this happen or you can kiss your anti-trust exemption goodbye." Then NFL plays the heavy, Snyder gets to finally earn some goodwill with his fans as the guy who fought until it was forced on them. Then he goes with a name that is in the same world as Redskins, but then wraps his franchise with the support of the American Armed Forces as a dig to another owner who runs "America's Team" while you've got people in uniform around the world rooting for Washington now. Hell, lets be honest.  We know the wait list is BS now. They are retracting seats in the stadium. Give a couple thousand seats to every home game to the folks at Walter Reed and other military folks in one section. Give them the same standing ovation they do at Nats games.

Now, that's marketing. That's goodwill.

It sucks for us who don't want to change the name. But you need a Plan B......and a Plan C if you're running an Organization like this.

As an English Redskins fan of 30 years... gotta give my tuppence worth.

I DON'T want our name to change. If they were the Washington Whiteskins, I wouldn't be offended. But that's me. Maybe there are a few people offended - and maybe we should listen?

I suggest a play with words and revert to our Arrow logo (and I don't want to change our logo either).

We could be the WASHINGTON REDS KINS. The 'reds'. Still sounds the same, if said fast enough. And 'Kin' means 'family' and 'Kins' means 'endearment'.

Nuff said. Job done.. and the lobbyists can find somebody else to bother.

Warm Regards,

William, England.

PS. I still say I don't want our team to change its name.

Redskins Launch Official Military Appreciation Club

Current fans would be upset.....but national goodwill would go through the roof being the team of the Armed Forces.

Still don't want a change. Just sayin'......

"National good will" lol :lol: :lol:

Yes, let's piss off the part of the population that actually spends tons of $$$ on tickets and merchandise, and instead worry about coddling the percentage of the population that doesn't give a rat's ass a bout the team, only about the issue.

Had a discussion with a Native American friend of mine,(former member of "my" truck crew at previous job),about the name controversy and his reaction was funny as hell when it was all said and done. Short of the long,was that he didn't understand why this was a big deal and could care less,(Niners fan by the way). His attitude expressed in one of his final comments that had folks around laughing. "******* white people."  :)  

Yes, let's piss off the part of the population that actually spends tons of $$$ on tickets and merchandise, and instead worry about coddling the percentage of the population that doesn't give a rat's ass a bout the team, only about the issue.

Nice smiley faces.

Look, I gave the scenario where the NFL forces a change to protect something they as a league value more than the Redskins team name. Then I gave an option for when a backup plan is needed. That's it.

Piss off the population....yeah. You mean that $$ that goes into profit sharing in the league anyway? If a name change is forced by the league and owners, the part of the population that is rooting for the team today would hopefully feel like at least the Skins went to mat over not changing. That's the goodwill locally I'm talking about. Oh, and we end up in a better situation when the Chiefs are forced to change next. Because once it happens to the Redskins, no pro sports team name is going to be safe.

Military theme would be super corny

Only if it is done improperly. I see nothing corny about supporting people in our service. It's not like they are going to set up the field at half time and play 'Who Sunk My Battleship' with little kids dressed in cardboard playing the roles of the ships.

On second thought, Battleship would be awesome. :)

I took it as he was saying this is a last ditch option. I don't see the Skins changing the name anytime soon, however, I do see the positives in what he is discussing.

I am not going to tell you it will happen like he is, but it would be interesting. I think it would be a great move from a business standpoint. It would still carry the honor our team does.

As a christian I could say I'm offended by the Jersey Devils..... If the Redskins are forced to change the name.... The flood gates will be open..... So  ridiculous this whole thing...

I wonder if the Devil is offended.  Maybe we should ask him.

Redskins Launch Official Military Appreciation Club

I still believe they are covering their bases to be ready for the day the NFL/Owners force a change after a long fought batted.

Keep coming up with other names. But it will be the Warriors and it will be American Military themed.

warriors.png

Current fans would be upset.....but national goodwill would go through the roof being the team of the Armed Forces.

Devious. Playing the 'ol national security card.

I agree. Nowadays our "warriors" do a LOT better in polls than Congress,etc..

I'm shooting for NA-related name, same logo, (almost) same fight song.

Thanks for posting TK.  I definitely feel vindicated reading that in that I am not the only one who see's that this is bigger than the name of a Football team.  I know there are others who share the same opinion.  Hopefully, we will see more articles like this one.  

I don't want a change either....but a logo like that one with a military theme would definitely work.  IMO, the pigmentation is a nod to the G.I.'s efforts in combat...an angry man in the heat of battle.  Could be anyone of any race....as it should be.

What if the Devil could guarantee a 10-6 season, going deep into playoffs BUT:

We'd have to be called the Washington Nuttie Buddies.

Make it a Lombardi and I'm in.  :)

J/K of course

Thanks for posting TK. I definitely feel vindicated reading that in that I am not the only one who see's that this is bigger than the name of a Football team. I know there are others who share the same opinion. Hopefully, we will see more articles like this one.

It's an article by George Will?

Oh the culture wars:-)

Go Skins !!!

So far, my list of acceptable alternatives for the nickname:

1.) No nickname at all

2.) Adapting the nickname of a local tribe (with their blessing of course)

3.) Senators (name of defunct NFL team and original American League baseball team).

I think those are the only three alternatives I can abide by. The military theme also seems rather corny to me. 

So far, my list of acceptable alternatives for the nickname:

1.) No nickname at all

2.) Adapting the nickname of a local tribe (with their blessing of course)

3.) Senators (name of defunct NFL team and original American League baseball team).

I think those are the only three alternatives I can abide by. The military theme also seems rather corny to me. 

Seeing as 50 Senators urged us to change the name because they care more about playing politics than real facts, and given what a joke Congress is, no way would I support a team name changed to the Senators.

THERE ARE NO ACCEPTABLE ALTERNATIVES FOR THE TEAM NAME!!!!!!!!!!

We fans really need to stop discussing alternative names. The more we do it, the more acceptable the idea of a change becomes. If fan support wanes on this issue, that is the financial backing and that means the name changes. So long as we fans keep standing strong in support of the name then we're fine. Team won't lose money so it won't have a reason to change the name.

So can we all just stop with the new name suggestions already?

Maybe the government can "intervene" some more and force us to change the name AND keep the Native theme and logo.  I mean why the hell not right?

You are not going to insult Natives by keeping the name Redskins.

You are not going to insult Natives by getting rid of the Native theme.

LMAO

basically...you are going to do whatever the hell we tell you because we own you.  

I especially enjoyed this comment below TK's article.  

Yes, AGuy, meanings do change. You Name-Haters have taken the name of dozens of scholastic sports teams and one NFL teams (not to mention potatoes) and give it a whole new meaning by creating a new word: 

"Redskinning." Meaning being subject to unwarranted attacks by a minority PC mob who will not stop until they force you to buckle under out of sheer exhaustion.  

As in "George Will sure is getting redskinned by the Name Haters in the comments below his excellent column." 

Archived