Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I still don't think the name is changing.

What will probably happen is all references to Native Americans will be dropped - logo, feathers, spears, etc. And we will go back to the big red Lombardi R sans the feathers.

They can even stylize the logo with the curly R:

Washington_Redskins_script_R_logo.gif

Do you think the Braves and Chiefs will have to change names? I think NOT so why should give up on our logo and fight song when the main target is the name?

There are some fans INSISTING on no name change and are willing to dump the logo and fight song if they lose..

They should have made him blue.

It wouldn't show up on their blue cap.

Which is why I have no problem with the logo, or any of the Native American imagery if done respectfully.  Chief Wahoo is a disgrace, which is why Cleveland has been quietly putting him out to pasture (without announcing it).  He's is no longer on the hat, he has all but disappeared from their stadium, he is almost gone from their official website.   Cleveland is playing it smart, and letting us take the heat while they do it.

I still have a problem with the word "redskin."  

People take themselves way too seriously these days. 

They should have made him blue.

Maybe if he held his breath til they gave in...

I totally agree on Chief Wahoo and am completely with Predicto on why that logo is a disgrace and the Redskins is not.

~Bang

Maybe if he held his breath til they gave in...

I totally agree on Chief Wahoo and am completely with Predicto on why that logo is a disgrace and the Redskins is not.

~Bang

The use of cartoony mascots is nothing new to baseball.

The Cleveland Indians' logo is cartoonish which means it's not serious in nature but comical and to have that as a representation of a people is in its nature condescending. Like the team name Savages, the intent may not be to disparage but the inference is uncivilized and that is condescending and degrading. Same thing with having a cartoon represent an ethnic group. On top of that his name is Chief Wahoo. Case in point, there's a reason the Braves have gotten rid of Chief Knockahoma. If Cleveland used a logo similar to ours and re-named him after a famous NA from the area, problem solved.

Redskins the logo was designed by a tribal chief with the approval of other chiefs. The name itself has an origin as a descriptor, was coined by NAs, and the word in and of itself is not degrading as it does not imply any inferiority for having reddish skin, it's merely a descriptor as is white and black plus NA history has owned red as a skin color descriptor.

no, but exaggerating racial characteristics is no longer acceptable.

Chief Wahoo is a good examlpe of it.

~Bang

Again, what racial characteristics are being exaggerated?  The only thing I see that is exaggerated is his teeth.  The color of the mascot, as I already pointed out, matches the other parts of the uniform.

Which is why I have no problem with the logo, or any of the Native American imagery if done respectfully.  Chief Wahoo is a disgrace, which is why Cleveland has been quietly putting him out to pasture (without announcing it).  He's is no longer on the hat, he has all but disappeared from their stadium, he is almost gone from their official website.   Cleveland is playing it smart, and letting us take the heat while they do it.

I still have a problem with the word "redskin."  

He is still on the sleeve of the uniform:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/05/23/what-senators-think-about-indians-and-chiefs/

Add:  I propose Natives, derived from same Latin root as Nationals, pretty hard to assail in terms of political correctness, even works in the song.

If a pro-Lesbian organization suddenly developed a dis-like for the name 'William', because people would call him 'Dick' for short, and demanded the name no longer be used, would that be fair?

I think you mean Richard, lol.

Add:  I worked at Outward Bound with a guy named Dick, and he made it clear that his name was Richard in front of the kids.

so that would make Indians stupid then if they are worried about being depicted with big teeth LOL

seriously..this is ****ing stupid from all angles. There are so many indian football fans that if this were actually a problem they would have complained in the 1960s. This is because some obsessive woman who doesn't even watch sports is having a 10 year hissy fit.

If a pro-Lesbian organization suddenly developed a dis-like for the name 'William', because people would call him 'Dick' for short, and demanded the name no longer be used, would that be fair?

Thanks for your input.   Very helpful.

Again, what racial characteristics are being exaggerated?  The only thing I see that is exaggerated is his teeth.  The color of the mascot, as I already pointed out, matches the other parts of the uniform.

the grinning in'jun is a definite stereotype.

I'm not sure where it originates, but it is. It's not the only place i've seen it..  hell Warner Bros'  used to make them all grin like that in their old racially insensitive cartoons.

~Bang

Archived