Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

Another lawsuit would be worse than the City Paper saga. Do we really want that for our team?

Why not?

if there's one thing I think most of us can agree on .. our team suffers nationally because people have a perception of Dan Snyder that they hate, and much of it was in place long before this name game.

Ten years of media in the negative have pretty much made us one of the more hated teams in the NFL i'd gather.

Dan Snyder made little kids stop selling lemonade from their little stand outside of training camp! What a MONSTER!!! remember that? Actually coca cola made little kids stop selling the lemonade because of their big contract with the team, but try to tell anyone that. Dan Snyder, that spoiled rich little snot, went out there with his little karate suit on and beat up a 7 year old girl and threw her lemonade on the ground.

Snyder, spoiled rich guy thinks he can buy a Super Bowl, and people laugh longer and louder at us when we flop than almost anyone,, except maybe Dallas. (and people hate Jerry Jones.)

This is the perception.

Who gives a crap about negative press. it's all we ever get anyway.

Who cares if anyone else in the US likes our team.. they're not supposed to. i don't know how you feel about it, but there's 32 teams in the NFL, and i hate 31 of them and hope all of them BUT my team lose as much as they can.

the difference between my 'rivalry sports hate" and how people hate our team is that they personally don't like Dan, so they relish hating us, and no amount of "good guy" is going to change that. If Snyder changed the name today, do you think it will help his general popularity? Nah, he'll always be the spoiled rich guy people hate.

Sue them. Slap them around if it helps. Who cares what people think of us, they already don't like us anyway.

~Bang

A suit against Wise would only aid the change the name movement. It would bring even more attention to the issue, and most in the media would side against Snyder. Sounds like an embarrassment that would trump the McKenna suit in national interest.

I'm not so sure.  For one thing, it's clear that these people are trying to cost the team money.  What if sponsors start dropping the team because of public opinion over the name?  Most media side against Snyder whenever they can anyway.  Rarely is anything ever reported about him or the team that is fair and balanced.

Like Bang said, I don't think there is anything Dan Snyder could do that would redeem him outside of the D.C. area anyway.  People already have their minds made up about who he is...so what the hell. 

Well, i do agree with RFK, just bringing up a rhetorical point that it can't be any worse than it always is anyway.

But a suit against Wise or any of these folks would be counter-productive because of the spin they can easily generate. i'm sure this has been discussed and put to bed long ago by Dan's lawyers.

One can hope.

~Bang

I bet we change the name within 10 yrs. When we do will will also have to change the song lyrics

I still say keep the name and make our symbol a redskin peanut instead of a Indian Redskins the fightin nuts

I honestly doubt it. The owner is steadfast against it and legally, he can't be forced to change it. Public outcry will never reach the levels needed for it to affect change. The protests so far this year that we've heard about at various venues have been a joke. Nobody cares more than journalists, and that icludes the people that are supposed to be offended. 

Just as an aside, this morning at a local breakfast joint I overheard a group of older gentlemen saying that they liked the Redskins owner because he refused to change the name. Good times. 

Oh and because locations are gone, I'm in central Texas. 

I honestly doubt it. The owner is steadfast against it and legally, he can't be forced to change it. Public outcry will never reach the levels needed for it to affect change. The protests so far this year that we've heard about at various venues have been a joke. Nobody cares more than journalists, and that icludes the people that are supposed to be offended. 

What does legality have to do with it?  36 Million in cap space gone, that wasn't legal. the league will have it's way with us once again.

I'm really starting to wonder if this situation is becoming ripe for a harassment suit of some type.  The Washington Redskins are a privately owned business.  It would be one thing if we were talking about a government sanctioned or funded organization, if that is the case protest away...but it's not.  

No, because of things like the law and stuff.

In all seriousness, there is no grounds for a lawsuit against Wise, the Post, or anyone. Any person who files such a suit would probably end up paying sanctions.

In all seriousness, there is no grounds for a lawsuit against Wise, the Post, or anyone. Any person who files such a suit would probably end up paying sanctions.

Ageed, but you can quit buying the Post and write a letter to the editor letting them know that Wise is the reason they lost your business.

You know I was reading the article on PFT about Browner's disdain for the name and saw that he incorrectly attributed the name to scalps for bounties. One of the comments in that section accused the defenders of the name as "emotional." I believe we have more facts defending the name, however they never get reported. It's the change-the-name side that seems to be emotional.

I would love to see PFT, King, Wise, et al address each of these topics:

1. If the name is so offensive, why is 85% of the nation unoffended. 90% of Native Americans were unoffended.

2. The reason behind the Red Mesa Redskins, and several other Native Reservations that referr to themselves are Redskins.

3. How this is different from the North Dakota Fighting Souix, where the Souix voted overwhelmingly to KEEP the name, but the NCAA mandated they change it a year later.

4. Ray Halbritter's background and legality as Oneida nation representative.

5. Susan Harjo's background and referring to whites as "The Disease"

Why has no one called out Harjo and Blackhorse for not addressing the Oneida peoples' mistreatment and abuse at the hands of Halbritter. If these two want to uphold Native traditions and fight for Native peoples then they should use their expertise and influence to stop the physical abuse, intimidation, evictions, the perversion of their religion and traditions, and the outright fraud perpetrated by Halbritter on these poor people.

If Dan Snyder changed the name tomorrow Maisie Shenandoah and her children will still be homeless. What will Harjo et. al. do about that? Isn't that the real fight for Natives? To have a life filled with dignity instead of abject poverty leading to a complete loss of culture and traditional identity? Harjo et. al. are no better than Halbritter in my opinion.

And if I were Mr. Snyder I'd use every contact I had in the Federal government to help the Oneida people get Halbritter removed as the Oneida representative with the BIA.

I think in the case of one Washington Post reporter, he who shall not be named, a case could definitely be made for libel. 

Maybe that is what he wants?  Gets to be a martyr for the "cause."     

No, no such case could possibly be sustained.  Not in a million years.

Sincerely,

an attorney

Since the team is being protested today in Minnesota, I thought it might be interesting to look at this fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings

"Barbarity

The image of wild-haired, dirty savages sometimes associated with the Vikings in popular culture is a distorted picture of reality.[1] Non-Scandinavian Christians are responsible for most surviving accounts of the Vikings, and consequently, a strong possibility for bias exists. This attitude is likely attributed to Christian misunderstandings regarding paganism. Viking tendencies were often misreported, and the work of Adam of Bremen, among others, told largely disputable tales of Viking savagery and uncleanliness.[63]

The Anglo-Danes were considered excessively clean by their Anglo-Saxon neighbours, due to their custom of bathing every Saturday and combing their hair often.[citation needed]To this day, Saturday is referred to as laugardagur / laurdag / lørdag / lördag, "washing day", in the Scandinavian languages. Icelanders were known to use natural hot springs as baths, and there is a strong sauna/bathing culture in Scandinavia still."

ragnar005.jpg

Time for some conspiracy history folks.

Media against the Redskins team name:

Washington Post: Owned by Jeff Bezos who tried to purchase the Washington Redskins but was snubbed by Dan Snyder because he sent the letter Certified Mail instead of Fed Ex. http://www.nflalternative.com/jeff-bezos-makes-bid-on-washington-redskins/

MMQB (peter king): Owned by Sports Illustrated which is owned by Time Warner who is in direct competition with Snyder's media ventures.

PFT: Sponsored by NBC which is owned by Comcast whose regional networks compete with Snyder on a daily basis and whose company (NBC) has a marketing deal with Ray Halbritter

Oneida Nation: Spoken for by Ray Halbritter who has deal in place with NBC to start a boxing "fight night"

PUT YOUR TINFOIL HATS ON!

No, no such case could possibly be sustained.  Not in a million years.

Sincerely,

an attorney

Admittedly, I know very little about Civil law.  I have been working on the Criminal side for 16 years. With that said, you honestly think nothing that has been said about the Redskins and Dan Snyder in the media potentially qualifies as libel?  Not even remotely?

so the Redskins can continue to be ridiculed in the media until 1.) Snyder changes the name, or 2.) They get tired of fighting?

I refuse to believe there are no civil laws in place that can protect people and businesses from this kind of behavior.  Ultimately, their goal is to cost him money until he gives in.    

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2013/11/07/hundreds-gather-outside-mall-of-america-field-to-protest-redskins-name/?utm_source=TwitterFeed2&utm_medium=twitter

Hundreds gather outside Mall of America Field to protest Redskins’ name

Hundreds of protesters gathered outside Mall of America Field here Thursday to voice their objections to the Washington Redskins’ name before the team’s game against the Minnesota Vikings.

“We call this a walk, not a march, and this is a walk to raise the consciousness of people with regard to racism in sports,” said Alan Yelsey, who identified himself as an organizer for the American Indian Movement. “We’re certainly trying to change the name of the Washington team. That’s the focus. But you have a mix of people. You can see hundreds and hundreds of people from all walks of life here to look for respect for all people. And the name of the Washington team does not convey respect. It’s illegal and it damages children.

“So we’re here to make that case and raise the consciousness of fans who think they’re doing something to honor indigenous people when they’re actually doing the opposite. They’re harming the children of indigenous people.”

,Interaction is the key determinant here,, says Alan Yelsey, vice president of Minneapolis-based Machine Dreams Inc., the company that rents out the wireless equipment to Prouty and numerous other business clients.The equipment is also available for sale.Rental fees are $2,000 for 100 people, and $10,000 for 1,000 people, for one or more days typically, he says.

Eliciting opinions on probing and controversial issues, like sexual harassment and race relations, is one benefit to the system, says Yelsey.Data compiled from questions can then be broken down by demographics.

It can also be used to test people on what information they retained from a presentation, or direct the conversation based on a majority-rule vote: ,If you have a loudmouth who shuts everybody else out, you might leave feeling the meeting wasn,t worthwhile,, says Yelsey.But by a simple press of a button, attendees using the technology can vote to bring closure to a topic.

Yelsey says the proctor can ask the group to vote on whether to shut up the overly assertive person for a period of time

http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Alan-Yelsey/561680252

At least he doesn't have any business interest here. Purely an idealist. Just like halbritter. Just looking out for the little guy.

Archived