Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

If they change the name, then they need to change everything. Don't try and figuratively flip the bird by changing only the name, and leaving everything else, as if to mock people, and go by "Warriors" or something else dumb, and pretend to still "Honor" native americans, desperately holding on past the point of ridiculousnes.

If you're going to change it, then be completely free of it. Let it go.

I wonder, how would you feel about keeping the colors, removing the logo from the helmets, and just being called Washington Pro Football Club? Because I could get behind that. Or would that still be too clingy? Honest question.

My biggest fear is we get a stupid mascot like the Wizards or the Pelicans, my second biggest fear is losing the colors.

No, I remember a botched FG in Tampa, but the one at home escapes my memory.

Caught me slipping. Post edited for accuracy.

I wonder, how would you feel about keeping the colors, removing the logo from the helmets, and just being called Washington Pro Football Club? Because I could get behind that. Or what that still be too clingy?

Colors, not so much (though I would like a uni overhaul). Logo? Yes, I would like to see that go.

Washington Football Club just sounds creepy. I'd rather the team change to red white and blue and be called the "Washington Football Nationals" than be subject to that. 

worship? praising the 'random guy' like you're praising God?

yeah, i'd say my initial post was right on. first of all, its not some 'random guy'- trivializing an individiual like that isnt helping your point. secondly, its hardly 'worship'. you're completely exaggerating how people display thanks and respect, and minimizing an individual who did something good all in the same sentence.

congratulations. well done.

----------------------------

devil:  Whether that person did anything -good- is not something you nor I know and not part of the issue.  I knew it had jumped the shark when I went to a Hurricanes/Devils game last season and it was randomly "Military Appreciation Night".  There were at least 6 times during the game that play was held up so that we were told to stand and honor some guy in a military uniform on the ice.  Every time it was a different guy in a different uniform from a different branch.  Mind you, this was not Vet's Day or any other calendar appropriate recognition day.  Just a random game turned into military worship session.  I felt like I was in church and the only thing missing was passing the collection plate!  It's a microcosm of the worship I'm referring to.  I was even cursed at by a woman for not standing and giving glory to god....errr...the guy in the uniform after the 3rd time they trotted someone out.

-------------------------------

any perspective that makes one believe what you are saying is one i'm not particularly interested in. 

my perspective is a little different. i'm a foreign born immigrant to this country who decided to serve when 'serve' actually meant to serve. i wanted to pay back the country that gave my family a new life. i wanted to earn my citizenship, unlike some people who take it for granted.

we who have served have no interest in being 'worshiped', and i cant recall a time i have ever seen anything like you are describing. standing up a clapping for a soldier who got his limbs blown off by a land mine is hardly 'worship'.

a simple 'thanks' is all a vet really wants. 

I'm not saying military want to be worshipped.  Think bigger picture of who enjoys the fruits of military worship.  Their names usually start with things like Northrup and Lockheed.

Annnnnd while I was typing this I just saw a GEICO commercial that was entirely about "honoring the military".  Uh yeah, Vet's Day was last week.  Enough, ok?

I'm not saying military want to be worshipped.  Think bigger picture of who enjoys the fruits of military worship.  Their names usually start with things like Northrup and Lockheed.

Annnnnd while I was typing this I just saw a GEICO commercial that was entirely about "honoring the military".  Uh yeah, Vet's Day was last week.  Enough, ok?

what you just said here is entirely different from your first couple of posts. 

The way the Redskins have been playing for the last 2 decades, this might be the most perfect choice so far. :doh:

Or the Washington Slumpbusters.... Vikes 1-7 till they play the Skins... Philly 10 game home losing streak till they play the Skins... Colin Kaepernick in funk.... well once again we're in prime time so it'll be an embarrasing affair.

Hex started in 1999, when Snyder won a law suit over the name.

First hit on a botched field goal against Tampa in the playoffs, maybe you remember it.

We have had two good teams since then. One lost its best player tragically. The other saw its best player suffer a career threatening injury.

Edit: brain fart redacted.

That is a load of bull

Yeah probably, but being a fan brings out the more primitive side in me, including magical thinking.

And is long as I'm thinking magically, it does seem like we are cursed.

We won the division last season, have a phenom QB, we have one of the best rushers in the league, we have one of the best LTs in the game, a great WR, a TE who could become elite by the end of this season. 

The only curse we have is that we are cursed with Haslett and his always terrible defenses. If we had even a middle of the pack defense we'd be vying for division lead right now and talks of curses would be non-existent.

We won the division last season, have a phenom QB, we have one of the best rushers in the league, we have one of the best LTs in the game, a great WR, a TE who could become elite by the end of this season.

The only curse we have is that we are cursed with Haslett and his always terrible defenses. If we had even a middle of the pack defense we'd be vying for division lead right now and talks of curses would be non-existent.

Yes we won the division, yet how did the season end? We lost our superstar to a severe injury, one which may have jeopardized his future.

Yes we have a lot if talent, but how is the season going?

Yes we won the division, yet how did the season end? We lost our superstar to a severe injury, one which may have jeopardized his future.

Yes we have a lot if talent, but how is the season going?

Doesn't matter how it ended. We got there in the first place, and that was with our QB already injured and fighting through it. That doesn't happen to a cursed team.

This season isn't going well, but it's not like we are the Jags. We have talent and with a new DC this team could be much better. My point was there are a lot of positives on the team, and they are young, and that is not something you see in a cursed team. 

My overall point is curse talk is pure hyperbole and an overreaction to a disappointing season. Curse talk was around before any of this name change stuff was prominent. It gets thrown around every bad season.

Colors, not so much (though I would like a uni overhaul). Logo? Yes, I would like to see that go.

Washington Football Club just sounds creepy. I'd rather the team change to red white and blue and be called the "Washington Football Nationals" than be subject to that. 

Agree.  I hate that suggestion almost as much as changing the name.  We're not in the damn Barclays English Premier League and we don't have one name players that flop.  This isn't soccer and any reference to the Washington "Football Club" puts me in a bad mood. I'd rather them be called the assholes.

Along those lines, though, why do we feel it's so necessary to have official nicknames for our teams in Canada and the United States? I like the idea of no nickname, partially because it taps into a spiteful part of me that I don't particularly like. 

"Oh, you don't like our nickname? Fine. We'll go without one. That way, no one's offended. Happy? 

I'd rather have no nickname than a goofy nickname like the Wizards. 

I'm sure this eventual re-branding will also be the death of the marching band as well.

Along those lines, though, why do we feel it's so necessary to have official nicknames for our teams in Canada and the United States? I like the idea of no nickname, partially because it taps into a spiteful part of me that I don't particularly like. 

"Oh, you don't like our nickname? Fine. We'll go without one. That way, no one's offended. Happy? 

I'm sure this eventual re-branding will also be the death of the marching band as well.

Not if they come up with a new song

I'm all in for a 'no name' team for the first couple of years of transition. Make the logo a football, call us simply "Washington" initially. Perhaps a new nick name will evolve from the fanbase. I too worry about Snyder delving into a new name which we later regret i.e. Wizards. Please take plenty of time to do this right Danny.

As I've said before, I'd put Phil Knight's top brass at Nike in charge of everything rebranding. Nike has a pretty good track record when it comes to sports fashion and imagery design.

Why would a rebrand spell death to the band? I'd make the band bigger, louder, and better than ever. People are going to need a sense of familiarity when the change comes.

Why would a rebrand spell death to the band? I'd make the band bigger, louder, and better than ever. People are going to need a sense of familiarity when the change comes.

What are they going to play? People are still going to be offended if they play "Hail to the Redskins." Is someone going to pen a new fight song? Will we play an old, standard college fight song? Maybe a Sousa march? 

Besides, it doesn't seem like most people are concerned about old traditions like that. The NFL changes so much every 15-20 years it seems that concepts like marching band will probably be the first to go if we have a rebranding. 

What are they going to play? People are still going to be offended if they play "Hail to the Redskins." Is someone going to pen a new fight song? Will we play an old, standard college fight song? Maybe a Sousa march? 

Besides, it doesn't seem like most people are concerned about old traditions like that. The NFL changes so much every 15-20 years it seems that concepts like marching band will probably be the first to go if we have a rebranding. 

Good college bands jam to a lot more than just their school's traditional fight songs. Modern bands incorporate current pop hits, hip hop, classic rock, etc. It all beats the hell outta the cliched DJ tracks we hear at every other pro sporting event. 

These days our band doesn't even get to play our fight song when it matters most. We have to listen to the DJ's cornball (1950s) version of HTTR after TDs. The band does still play HTTR pre and post game, halftime, etc.

People liked bands enough to bring one back when the Ravens came to Bmore in 1996. The Marching Colts were created after our band. Unfortunatley, the Marching Ravens are a more prominant feature at Ravens games today than our band is at FedEx.

But to your point, I wouldn't be shocked if ownership eventually scrapped our band. I sure hope not though.

I'm all in for a 'no name' team for the first couple of years of transition. Make the logo a football, call us simply "Washington" initially. Perhaps a new nick name will evolve from the fanbase. I too worry about Snyder delving into a new name which we later regret i.e. Wizards. Please take plenty of time to do this right Danny.

As I've said before, I'd put Phil Knight's top brass at Nike in charge of everything rebranding. Nike has a pretty good track record when it comes to sports fashion and imagery design.

Phil Knight and Nike?  Where's the thow-up smiley when you need it?  Nike has turned Oregon and their uniforms into an abomination as has Under Armor with Maryland.  No identity, no team colors, no tradition, just a big ass MESS! No thanks.

Phil Knight and Nike?   Nike has turned Oregon and their uniforms into an abomination as has Under Armor with Maryland.  No identity, no team colors, no tradition, just a big ass MESS! No thanks.

Ya, but... it's worked. Q rating, merch sales through the roof, etc.

Youth and urban appeal will win out over the emotional attachments of middle aged guys and our beloved traditions. Traditions are going to change around here whether we like it or not, so we might as well put the best people in charge of navigating change. Nike has had the game mastered for decade$.

Young folk buy the merch, while old folks like us aren't gonna up and leave bc we dislike the new unis or imagery.

Well I'm part of the "Young folk" crowd, and I would prefer a clearly identified color scheme, with a limited amount of combos, and call it a day. The uniform craze has  gotten out of control in this country.

The pro uni changes under Nike in 2012-13 have been conservative compared to what we've seen at the (nontraditional) college programs.

Nontraditional pro teams like Jax and Sea arrived late to the game, thus ended up with crappy color schemes out of a desperation to be different. Fortunately, we shouldn't have that problem bc the burgundy and gold is an awesome combo to work with.

Archived