Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I think the thing that frustrates me about this issue is when opponents ignore or just refuse to acknowledge that most native Americans just might not have an issue with the name.

The response always seems to be "It's a slur, and it's that simple" without recognizing the inconvenient issue of a people not having a problem with a disparaging "racial slur".

It's either dishonest or ignorant. You're either pretending it doesn't exist, or you're pulling a UnWise Mike and saying "those people don't count", or you're unaware of the other side of the issue- in which case you should be listening more and talking less.

A fair look at both sides of the issue where people don't outright completely discount others opinions because they don't fit their view is something I could at least respect.

http://www.policymic.com/articles/80835/the-powerful-super-bowl-ad-that-washington-redskins-owner-dan-snyder-needs-to-see

Here's the change the name ad, they planned on airing during the superbowl but reading the comments, looks like it won't be airing during the Superbowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.policymic.com/articles/80835/the-powerful-super-bowl-ad-that-washington-redskins-owner-dan-snyder-needs-to-see

Here's the change the name ad, they planned on airing during the superbowl but reading the comments, looks like it won't be airing during the Superbowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE&feature=player_embedded

That was a 2 minute ad, that would have cost what, 16 million for one spot? The message, Native Amercans have lots of names they go by, Redskins is not one of them. Well no ****. I do not go around calling out, Hey, you caucasians..." for white folks, or African Americans," hey, you black people"...etc. Words only have as much power as you attach to them and how you use them.

The ad is pretty good. I'm ready to change the name.

I just watched "The Express." There is a scene in that movie where George Preston Marshall says, "We'll have black players when the Harlem Globetrotters have white players." Dan Snyder is just carrying on tradition I guess.

It's only a matter of time. Conservatives inevitably find themselves on the wrong side of history.

UnWise Mike was using his twitter soapbox for this all day yesterday.

I really wish people would stop clicking on the WP website. That would really send a message and possibly get him canned.

There's so much Redskins information out there, the WP could easily be avoided.

The ad is pretty good. I'm ready to change the name.

I just watched "The Express." There is a scene in that movie where George Preston Marshall says, "We'll have black players when the Harlem Globetrotters have white players." Dan Snyder is just carrying on tradition I guess.

It's only a matter of time. Conservatives inevitably find themselves on the wrong side of history.

So, are you on the bandwagon to change the name of the NAACP? Are you ready to start calling people "Colored" again?

Man, what a cop out from Olberman.  Let me bring up a question... ****, you sound reasonable and you are presenting information about actual native Americans instead of giving a dumb jock emotinal response... I wasn't prepared for that.  Let's close the segment.

He had NO response. None. He reminded me of James Carville in Old School...

Redskins Paying Team Of Republican Advisers For Advice On Name Controversy | ThinkProgress

The Washington Redskins are paying a team of high-profile consultants with ties to the Republican Party to advise the team on issues around its controversial name, a spokesperson for the team said in a statement to ThinkProgress on Friday. The spokesperson, vice president of communications Tony Wyllie, had previously denied that the team was paying the consultants when ThinkProgress learned of their involvement.

Emails obtained by ThinkProgress this week showed that the team consulted Republican messaging guru Frank Luntz, former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer, and former Republican governor and senator George Allen when asked about issues around the team’s name. Luntz runs Luntz Global, a communications firm. Fleischer runs Ari Fleischer Sports Communications. Allen, the brother of Redskins general manager and executive vice president Bruce Allen and son of former Redskins coach George Allen, runs the strategy firm George Allen Strategies.

I think I want to throw up.  If we need a bunch of republican spin doctors, maybe the name isn't worth keeping. Let's just call ourselves the Washington Warriors, keep the logo, and move on.

Redskins Paying Team Of Republican Advisers For Advice On Name Controversy | ThinkProgress

I think I want to throw up.  If we need a bunch of republican spin doctors, maybe the name isn't worth keeping. Let's just call ourselves the Washington Warriors, keep the logo, and move on.

I think the Logo is the most offensive thing if there is any.  I'd rather keep the name and change the logo.

I think the Logo is the most offensive thing if there is any.  I'd rather keep the name and change the logo.

Re-brand!

Go with the a spear or feather theme and move on. I don't necessarily think the logo is offensive, but I can see that you are playing with fire anytime you try to represent an image of a person like that. 

See, I think the logo is one of the things that gives the name a saving grace. If it were a caricature or some other cliché I'd agree, but our guy is proud and strong.

~Bang

I think the Logo is the most offensive thing if there is any. I'd rather keep the name and change the logo.

Well, "they" are upset with the name (most of all). And the logo was basically suggested and designed by an Indian.

Why is this a story anyway ? Lanny Davis (Hardly a republican ) has been advising the team for a while.

Or is this another excuse to push the story. (That would never happen, of course, being that all have such honorable intentions and all)......,

From the comments-

"This is like having a mascot in blackface called 'the Negro' or an asian caricature with big teeth and tiny, slitted eyes for a team called 'the Yellow Chinks.' If you're still not seeing the problem, you're racist and it's that simple."

Ahhhh, I see. The old "if you don't agree with me, you're a racist!" bit.

Awesome.

Absolutely the worst arguing tactic of all time.  Right up there with plugging your fingers in your ears and screaming so you can't hear the other person.

As good as some of the replies to folks have been. The simple one be to tell folks like Keith, or Sally or even those Native Americans who go after this, that they should probably focus on convince other Native Americans who choose the name for their High Schools, and choose to wear the logos on their clothing. I still want to see UnWise Mike talking to a gym of kids and parents at Red Mesa, explaining why they are offending themselves.

While I like what the Redskins did with the Code Talkers, I think they need to do a bit more.  I think they need to go out to some reservations, I think they need to donate footballs, helmets and pads and other sports gear to Native Americans.  They need to try and get some players to go out and spend time out there for a week or two a summer and do clinics with them.  They need to have some high school teams come out and play a tournament or a few games at Fed Ex in the spring.  

Of course, the media shouldn't be invited or alerted to any of it.  UnWise Mike can go **** right off and not be invited to any of it...because if you invite the media, it automatically becomes about them and it's a publicity stunt and you're doing it for them.  If you invite the media, you're exploiting the Native Americans.  If you keep it private and if you keep the media away, I think it'll look more honest and not like a dog and pony show like the Code Talkers thing was.  Word will get out, the media will be pissed that they weren't included which is fine...they're pissed off anyway.  You don't drag any high schoolers or kids that don't want to be a part of the issue into the matter by simply not parading them around for the media to speak with.

Meanwhile, the organization would be spreading goodwill and winning over the people that matter most in this situation.  

I think the thing that frustrates me about this issue is when opponents ignore or just refuse to acknowledge that most native Americans just might not have an issue with the name.

The response always seems to be "It's a slur, and it's that simple" without recognizing the inconvenient issue of a people not having a problem with a disparaging "racial slur".

It's either dishonest or ignorant. You're either pretending it doesn't exist, or you're pulling a UnWise Mike and saying "those people don't count", or you're unaware of the other side of the issue- in which case you should be listening more and talking less.

A fair look at both sides of the issue where people don't outright completely discount others opinions because they don't fit their view is something I could at least respect.

No one on the CHANGE IT NOW side is going to back down because....well, that'll mean they've become what they've spent so much time accusing the other side of...a racist.  

It's completely dishonest and ignorant.  I have a friend who just will not look at any evidence to the contrary.  It's ****ing infuriating when he brings it up.  

Again...

Bruce Allen has toured reservations to see what people really think--has ThinkProgress.com done that?

There are numerous (I believe Cooley said ~60) Native American High Schools that use the name "Redskins"

85% of the population does not find this offensive

90% of the NA population does not find this offensive.

If a million people say something stupid--it does not change anything--it's still stupid.

Bar promotions speak for so many of us, I guess.

And Howard Cosell could not walk down the street for fear of thousands of people wanting to throw bricks at him.

~Bang

Remember once seeing some TV special, for like the 25th or some such anniversary of Monday Night Football. 

And one of the things they mentioned was some "Monday Night Football Bar", somewhere.  Which ran a raffle, every Monday night, during MNF. 

If they picked your ticket out of the hat, then you got to throw a brick through the TV, while Howard Cosell was doing the halftime highlights.  (And then they'd replace the TV, before the second half.) 

Dumbass also mentioned himself that Native Americans have "more important things to worry about," yet he keeps beating his drum.

I swear, I'm getting so tired of every reporter/media member having an opinion. If I wanted an opinion, I'd consult a psychic. Give me the facts you bunch of A-hole hacks!

Dumbass also mentioned himself that Native Americans have "more important things to worry about," yet he keeps beating his drum.

I swear, I'm getting so tired of every reporter/media member having an opinion. If I wanted an opinion, I'd consult a psychic. Give me the facts you bunch of A-hole hacks!

No ****.  First make a huge deal out of it and then belittle it by saying that they have more important things to worry about.

Oh, ok John.  Glad to know you're taking this off the Native American's plate because they have more important things to worry about.  

Archived