Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

The D Hall thing has been picked up by all the major sports media outlets.

I think you guys are being too hard on him.

hall really won me over this year with his play and ive criticized him alot over the past few years.

but hes never been accused of being a genius. honestly, when athletes start spouting off about stuff that know nothing about (and i get the feeling hall falls into this category), i have little patience for it. 

its bad when our own fan base is ignorant of the facts. when famous people with a voice give opinions just because they can, its annoying. 

of course, there are a few fans here that appear to know all the facts and still are on the wrong side of the issue.  :D 

but at least they took some time to learn about it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm watching "Last Man Standing" with Tim Allen.  My wife and I DVR it and then we watch it when our kids take naps on Saturdays...

Anywho... this episode is about Tim's grandson and how his school is named after Lewis and Clark and they find out Lewis was a slave owner.  So they start a petition to get the school's name changed.

Keeping up with me here... Tim did a Vlog for his store and he brought up the Redskins name change.  Just a quick mention.  He basically said that no one wants to be associated with the name because the team went 3-13 this year and then moved on.

Just interesting to see this make it to a sitcom.

I'm watching "Last Man Standing" with Tim Allen.  My wife and I DVR it and then we watch it when our kids take naps on Saturdays...

Anywho... this episode is about Tim's grandson and how his school is named after Lewis and Clark and they find out Lewis was a slave owner.  So they start a petition to get the school's name changed.

Keeping up with me here... Tim did a Vlog for his store and he brought up the Redskins name change.  Just a quick mention.  He basically said that no one wants to be associated with the name because the team went 3-13 this year and then moved on.

Just interesting to see this make it to a sitcom.

That's such a stupid premise for a show but I think it does portray a good comparison to the Redskins name debate, though likely unintended by the writers. Its shows the outrage by some who focus on a past negative and the context of the time in which it existed and ignore any and all positives. Now that's not a defense of slavery obviously, but it is a defense of Lewis and Clark. They lived in a time of a slavery when most were accepting of it. Should schools named after George Washington be changed? Should everyone in the past be vilified and shunned for the mistakes of the time in which they lived? Also, where do the issues stop? It can be safely assumed almost everyone from the past was against gay marriage, so should they all be shunned as well?

Or can we just accept that people aren't perfect and very much subject to the era/environment in which they lived? Learn from the mistakes, celebrate the successes.

Plus, actually reading accounts of Lewis' time as a slave owner, it was a family plantation he inherited, and he left it to his family when joining the militia and after went on to other things. http://franceshunter.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/meriwether-lewis-as-slaveowner/  There are various accounts of his life that show Lewis wasn't exactly some cruel slave master and given some of the accounts it seems foolish/ignorant of the full history, for the students in the show to have protested Lewis on grounds of being a slave owner. Now if it was Clark, then they might have more grounds and the debate becomes more interesting due to Clark's treatment of slaves. I think the writers' research was sloppy at best.

That's why I parallel it with Redskins. A word that originally had positive usage, then had negative association, but it's common usage for decades has been positive whereas the negative usage is basically antiquated. The further we are removed from the past, the more people forget the antiquated version and only know the current version. So what matters more, the antiquated negative version or the positive version that has been associated with for decades? Like the writers of that show, it seems protesters ignore positives and also rely on ignorance of history in favor of assumption. Offended Native Americans say their opinions matter, but then dismiss the opinions of Native Americans who aren't offended and also deny that the current evidence shows the majority are not offended. 

I also think that when the team did poorly and the drama came out and this issue had already lost almost all its attention just shows this isn't a major issue to most and only had traction in the first place due to local media grinding the usual ax. So long as there isn't a clear majority consensus among Native Americans that the name is offensive and there are Native Americans that favor the name, then it won't change.

Anyone else catch Cooley on Olbermann last night? Was asked about the name. Thought he represented well. Proud of him.

no, but im going to look for it now. will i be surprised where that nitwit lefty olbermann stands on the issue?

here it is. and, yes, olbermann is a jerkoff and opposed to the name.

shocker.

cooley did a good job sticking to the facts. nicely done. 

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10362912&categoryid=2378529

Edited by grego
  • Like 1

Man, what a cop out from Olberman.  Let me bring up a question... ****, you sound reasonable and you are presenting information about actual native Americans instead of giving a dumb jock emotinal response... I wasn't prepared for that.  Let's close the segment.

• Like 1

Man, what a cop out from Olberman. Let me bring up a question... ****, you sound reasonable and you are presenting information about actual native Americans instead of giving a dumb jock emotinal response... I wasn't prepared for that. Let's close the segment.

Pwn3d?

But that us one thing I've been noticing about Cooley, on the radio broadcasts. Guy "studies his film", and shows up on broadcast day with his material prepared.

(Which seems a real contrast with the other guys in the booth).

Yep, total douche move by Olbermann.  However, this is the way the media is.  They don't want to hear the contrary opinion.  The media tells you how to think and behave and they want to continue down that path. 

The bad thing is a lot of people listen to them and form their 'expert' opinions off of what some jack hole on the radio or t.v. told them.  I know a lot of these people, and according to them they are always right and you are always wrong.

With the media, there is only one side to every story.

I love this email George Allen wrote, "“The point was that the Redskins owner at the time obviously believed that Lone Star Dietz was a Native American and named the team to honor Native Americans and be motivated by their heritage. All the other aspects of the story about Lone Star’s adoption and other intrigue and speculation is undoubtedly beyond our ability to discern as to its veracity.”

So, Mr. Macaca's argument is that the Redskins overtly racist owner deeply believed the story of his conman coach and was therefore motivated to honor Native American culture.

I think we can work with that.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

From the comments-

"This is like having a mascot in blackface called 'the Negro' or an asian caricature with big teeth and tiny, slitted eyes for a team called 'the Yellow Chinks.' If you're still not seeing the problem, you're racist and it's that simple."

Ahhhh, I see. The old "if you don't agree with me, you're a racist!" bit.

Awesome.

• Like 2

From the comments-

"This is like having a mascot in blackface called 'the Negro' or an asian caricature with big teeth and tiny, slitted eyes for a team called 'the Yellow Chinks.' If you're still not seeing the problem, you're racist and it's that simple."

Ahhhh, I see. The old "if you don't agree with me, you're a racist!" bit.

Awesome.

"So, you're saying that 90% of Native Americans are racist?"

:)

no, but im going to look for it now. will i be surprised where that nitwit lefty olbermann stands on the issue?

here it is. and, yes, olbermann is a jerkoff and opposed to the name.

shocker.

cooley did a good job sticking to the facts. nicely done. 

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10362912&categoryid=2378529

Olberman was a douche during the Super Bowl parade in 1982, as well.  I think he worked for a local DC station, then.

That said, I do like his show for the wit.  Unfortunately, what wit he may have had was just slapped in the face.

Goodell was asked today about the name again: http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/31/roger-goodell-washington-redskins-name/?eref=sihp

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell backed the Washington Redskins’ moniker Friday, stating that nine out of 10 Native Americans support the name.

That remark came during Goodell’s annual press conference on the Friday of Super Bowl week. Goodell actually was asked rather contentiously if he “would call a [Native American] a Redskin to his face?” The commissioner mostly sidestepped that question, instead offering up the reasoning behind not forcing Washington owner Daniel Snyder to change his team’s name.

“This is the name of a football team … [and it has been] presented in a way that honors Native Americans,” Goodell said.

As good as some of the replies to folks have been. The simple one be to tell folks like Keith, or Sally or even those Native Americans who go after this, that they should probably focus on convince other Native Americans who choose the name for their High Schools, and choose to wear the logos on their clothing. I still want to see UnWise Mike talking to a gym of kids and parents at Red Mesa, explaining why they are offending themselves.

• Like 4
  • Jumbo changed the title to The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)
  • Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo pinned this topic
  • Jumbo featured and unfeatured this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jumbo locked and unpinned this topic