Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per ESPN: Report: Auburn bribed players

HeluCopter29

Ahhhhh...these guys are amateurs compare to the glory days of the Souhtwest Conference. Now' date=' that was some cheating with style.

The good ole SWC. From what I can remember about them, I do miss it. That SMU documentary was the icing on the cake. Auburn is doing what most big time programs do now a days(they just happen to be in the spotlight right now). SMU, UH, TCU, A&M, UT, and Baylor back in the day went well above what is going on.

I don't think most American pro leagues are "corrupt." I think college athletics are inherently corrupt and nothing can really be done to change that. It's an entire system based on the exploitation of free labor.

Louisville is selling t-shirts with Kevin Ware's number on them for the Final Four. Guess who is not getting money off that? The guy whose leg snapped.

I think pro leagues are plenty corrupt but I agree with you on the NCAA. It's not just that the league itself take all the profits but the kids are forbidden from making money from their own image, name, and likeness. I don't even see evidence that they are really all that focused on preparing kids for the pros, they are much more interested in winning and generating buzz for their own programs.

The problem is very few of the athletes actually make a professional career out of it. So, for most, if they're not getting paid, it is in their best interest to use the opportunity to get a degree they can use for a career after school. Unfortunately a lot of them are just chewed up and spit out without getting paid, or without getting a degree, or without a chance to play professionally. They are just fodder for the system.

The problem is very few of the athletes actually make a professional career out of it. So, for most, if they're not getting paid, it is in their best interest to use the opportunity to get a degree they can use for a career after school. Unfortunately a lot of them are just chewed up and spit out without getting paid, or without getting a degree, or without a chance to play professionally. They are just fodder for the system.

I would take "training for professional sports" completely out of the equation. To me, that doesn't matter.

I look at this completely from a labor perspective. College football is a monumentally profitable institution. It has free labor.

I should also point out that it has free labor that it continues to work harder and harder. We have gone from 9 games to 10 games then to 11. Suddenly we are at 13 across the board with a playoff system coming that will give us 14 or 15.

Maybe its their best opportunity to get paid what they can? A kid like Kevin Ware might not ever play in the NBA, but L'ville basketball could have paid him a boatload of money.

I don't think most American pro leagues are "corrupt." I think college athletics are inherently corrupt and nothing can really be done to change that. It's an entire system based on the exploitation of free labor.

Louisville is selling t-shirts with Kevin Ware's number on them for the Final Four. Guess who is not getting money off that? The guy whose leg snapped.

You don't think pro leagues are corrupt? Have you met John Mara?

Is it me, or is ESPN after Auburn. Not only they have one dumpster fire to put out, here comes another dumpster fire:

Auburn kept test results confidential

The 2010 national champion Auburn Tigers were gripped by an epidemic of synthetic marijuana use that led to a rash of failed drug tests and a decision at the highest levels of the university's athletic department to keep the results confidential, ESPN has learned.

A six-month investigation by ESPN The Magazine and "E:60" into the spread of synthetic marijuana at Auburn reveals that a dozen students on the football team, including its star running back, Michael Dyer, failed tests for the designer drug.

The school did not implement testing for the drug until after it won the national championship in January 2011, and as many as a dozen other seniors who used synthetic marijuana were never caught, the investigation also found.

The drug -- also referred to as "spice" -- has been linked to paranoid delusions, hallucinations, and, in rare cases, deaths.

In one extreme case, a freshman tight end, Dakota Mosley, failed seven consecutive weekly tests for the drug, but never was punished. (He was suspended for three months in a separate incident after he tested positive for marijuana.) The Arkansas native says he learned he'd failed a sixth test on the same day he was scheduled to meet with NCAA investigators to discuss a probe into potential recruiting violations.

Instead of being kicked off the team, Mosley was brought into then-coach Gene Chizik's office and told he could keep his spot on the team.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9135194/twelve-auburn-tigers-football-players-failed-synthetic-pot-tests

I couldn't imagine being an athlete on Cam Newton's level and then walking into the school bookstore to see racks of jerseys with my number on them being sold, a bunch of people in the stadium on gameday wearing it and not seeing a dime. I'd be irate.

Especially when the education you are being offered in compensation must be scheduled around your football commitments, if that's even possible.

Especially when the education you are being offered in compensation must be scheduled around your football commitments, if that's even possible.

I could understand where you're coming from if i were to believe that Auburn would have any interest in having Cam Newton at their school if he wasn't playing football.

An education is nice, don't get me wrong. However I don't believe it's an entirely valuable substitue for a decent amount of cash, especially when the school could show him how to invest it, not blow it.

Selena Roberts is a ****ing hack of a journalist. As much as I dislike Chizik, Newtown and detected how fake that season really was, I can't believe anything that woman has to say.

You do know she's an Auburn alum. Something or someone must have pissed her off.

I could understand where you're coming from if i were to believe that Auburn would have any interest in having Cam Newton at their school if he wasn't playing football.

An education is nice, don't get me wrong. However I don't believe it's an entirely valuable substitue for a decent amount of cash, especially when the school could show him how to invest it, not blow it.

I agree. The university is arguing that the education is compensation for the millions they are making off him, but he is forbidden from accessing this compensation if in any way it interferes with his obligations to make them money.

How was the season fake? They played games and beat everyone.
You don't think Cecil Newton took that $$?
I don't really care one way or the other.

Auburn walked away with $6 million from the title game itself. If they did pay him' date=' it was a good investment.[/quote']

If they break any other rules, then is your position "well, they still won, anyway"?

Or is it only that one rule?

If they break any other rules, then is your position "well, they still won, anyway"?

Or is it only that one rule?

When it comes to "cheating" in college football, I legtimately do not care. The rules are stupid and arbitrary. Everyone is breaking them. And when people get "caught," the punishments are even more stupid and arbitrary. (There is nothing more stupid and arbitrary than everything involving Reggie Bush by the way with the possible exception of whatever the hell is currently happening with Miami and whatever just happened with Penn State where the NCAA suddenly decided that it was some kind of child welfare agency).

I watch college football purely for the entertainment value.

The Reggie Bush thing was beyond the pale. It felt like USC was just rubbing it in the face of everyone. I mean, at least try a little bit to hide your cheating, it's the gentlemanly approach

Here's the thing: USC really didn't do anything. A sports agent with a criminal history cut a deal with Bush and his family. Bush reneged on the deal later on. (Which is similar to the Chris Weber scandal by the way). The agent rolled over on Bush. The NCAA then decides that one assistant coach at USC should have been aware of all this and drops the hammer on the school.

Archived