Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per ESPN: Report: Auburn bribed players

HeluCopter29

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9131624/auburn-tigers-coaches-bribed-players-altered-grades-broke-recruiting-rules-gene-chizik-according-report

The report appears on Roberts' website, Roopstigo.com. According to three former Auburn players, as many as nine players' grades were changed prior to Auburn's win in the 2011 BCS national championship game.

The report doesn't mention Newton. But I think we all know where this is heading.

These investigations are starting to become a annoyance to me as a fan. Perhaps more so than the cheating itself. Years later we have to hear about this bull**** all the time in every sport. They need to really improve their control on the front end because this constant spoiling of virtually everything after the fact is not doing anything for the sport or the entertainment value.

Now we'll likely all be asked to pretend Auburn never won and and the school will be penalized despite everyone being long gone. While seemingly every level of sports have fallen to corruption no organization is as ridiculous as the NCAA.

zoony, let's not forget the (most) basketball programs.

Yusuf, The SEC is doing what the rest are doing, but for some reason...it must be the acceptable acceptance...these folks are starting to talk about it to other people.

I have several thoughts on this topic . I will wait to see how it plays out.

I just don't see a problem with players getting some perks since they see virtually no part of the revenue they help produce. Hell if I was a star college football player from a poor family you bet I'm going to take advantage of my stardom

How many adults well into their 30's are still trying to pay off their student loans. In reality, these athletes are getting hundreds of thousands of dollars in return for their contributions on a football or basketball field.

Not a bad deal at all. Free room. Free board. Free tuition. An opportunity to learn and apprentice in a program that might net them millions.

I really don't have much sympathy for the poor taken advantage of athlete. Yes, the school makes money too, but that's capitalism and frankly, the boss always makes more than the employee.

We all know college sports is crooked at the top. But if grades are routinely manipulated for eligibility beyond the stars, then the whole reputation of the Div I student-athlete for the 99% of those who won't play professionally is seriously tarnished for hiring.

Blow up the Div I & Div II college sports scholarship racket completely. College teams can have U23 professional and semi-pro teams for spirit and fundraising in a couple of sports if they want, but enough of the charade. And it would kill all the whining about Title IX compliance.

Not a bad deal at all. Free room. Free board. Free tuition. An opportunity to learn and apprentice in a program that might net them millions.

Aside from those who make it to the pros, a student-athlete's choice involves huge compromise, and I mean compromise of education rather than sacrifice of social life. Look at the majors of most college athletes who don't make it in the pros and ask if it was four years well spent.

Aside from those who make it to the pros, a student-athlete's choice involves huge compromise, and I mean compromise of education rather than sacrifice of social life. Look at the majors of most college athletes who don't make it in the pros and ask if it was four years well spent.

Fair, but I'd argue that some of that is choice. Yes, the schedule is brutal esp. for half the year, but to say they get nothing and the colleges are screwing them over is also absurd. They are getting an incredible opportunity and a ton of resources to the degree they take advantage of them is at least partly on their own head. Admittedly, during the season for those three months, academic pursuit is much harder, but in a sense how different than the guy working two part time jobs to pay for his tuition and handling a full load of classwork?

love=your sig is my phone screensaver.:)

:thumbsup:

I am loved.:adoration

---------- Post added April-4th-2013 at 09:26 AM ----------

I told my brother when he starts getting recruited to never take a bribe. If he can't get it on his own, he doesn't need it...

However, if he chooses not to listen to me and takes things from boosters and whatnot, I wouldn't even be mad at him. Especially if he doesn't get caught.

Fair, but I'd argue that some of that is choice. Yes, the schedule is brutal esp. for half the year, but to say they get nothing and the colleges are screwing them over is also absurd. They are getting an incredible opportunity and a ton of resources to the degree they take advantage of them is at least partly on their own head. Admittedly, during the season for those three months, academic pursuit is much harder, but in a sense how different than the guy working two part time jobs to pay for his tuition and handling a full load of classwork?

A-freakin'-men! If the "poor" elite athlete has it so bad, why don't more turn down the chance to play at an elite college program? For every college athlete whining about being exploited, there are literally thousands of others willing to take his place.

In order to play sports, many athletes just choose less demanding academics, such as sports management and communications. :ols: Whether commitment to athletics is comparable to working depends on whether your work schedule can be compromised and loans/grants are an option. But there is no compromise option for the Div I athlete.

As a parent of a kid who considered doing a demanding engineering major and competing at Div I level, it was clear that athletics was required to be first and second and third by the coach. The engineering dean in particular said it would be bordering on reckless to try and accomplish both.

Archived