Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Player / Coach Jack Pardee Dead at 76

Gracelander

My only memory of Pardee is when he was HC of the 7-1 Houston Oilers, he made his return to RFK to face an 8-0 powerhouse in our 1991 team. Aside from a phenomenal OT finish between league leaders, Pardee vs. Gibbs (the guy who replaced him) was the big story that week.

My only memory of Pardee is when he was HC of the 7-1 Houston Oilers, he made his return to RFK to face an 8-0 powerhouse in our 1991 team. Aside from a phenomenal OT finish between league leaders, Pardee vs. Gibbs (the guy who replaced him) was the big story that week.

In 1984, Pardee was the HC of the USFL's Houston Gamblers, featuring a young QB named Jim Kelly. They won the Western Conference but lost in the playoffs to George Allen's Arizona Wranglers. Interesting how it all just ties together. I was lucky enough to meet him in 1972 and get an autograph, He was very gracious. RIP Jack.

If my memory is correct (not so reliable anymore), he won Coach of the Year the year before the team collapsed and he was fired. The big letdown was getting knocked out of the playoffs by 1 point when we lost to Dallas thanks to what some call Staubach's best comeback. Riggo got burned out, sat out the next year, and the team collapsed. Beathard and Pardee fought it out over who was to blame, and JKC settled with Beathard.

I was rooting for the Oilers while Pardee was there. He was loved by his guys.

Funny, that's the first thing that came to my mind also. Right after the Oiler's kicker missed a chipshot FG to win the game, the camera panned to Pardee and you could read his lips 'I want him fired'.

He was the coach when the Redskins went to San Diego in 1980 and throttled the high powered, heavily favored Dan Fouts-led Chargers, who had an OC by the name of Joe Gibbs. Funny how those things work out, huh...

He was the coach when the Redskins went to San Diego in 1980 and throttled the high powered, heavily favored Dan Fouts-led Chargers, who had an OC by the name of Joe Gibbs. Funny how those things work out, huh...

That game was at RFK. I remember being a freshman in high school in the Philly area and not had paid much attention to the Skins that year, as they were a dismal 3-10 heading into that game. But I knew the Skins had a great defense, especially in the secondary with Joe Lavendar and Lamar Parrish, and thought they'd give the Chargers fits. I told some kid in one of my classes that the Skins were going to beat SD, and he laughed at me. The following Monday, first thing he says "I told you the Skins were going to win!" LOL.

Funny, that's the first thing that came to my mind also. Right after the Oiler's kicker missed a chipshot FG to win the game, the camera panned to Pardee and you could read his lips 'I want him fired'.

Ian Howfield. Redskins won the game 16-13 in OT on a Darrell Green INT.

I like hearing stuff like you said about the 1980 season. Wonder how things would have turned out if Pardee had have remained? Would we have become a run and shoot team? Probably no SBs.

Pardee was a good man... I lived in Houston when he coached there and there were many accounts of what a nice man he was.

Unfortunately for him, he was on the losing end of two of the more memorable games in NFL history. As Redskins coach, the 1979 "NFC East Title" game loss in Dallas remains one of the more painful losses in Redskins history and is considered to be one of the better/more important regular season games of all time.

More famously, he was the head coach of the Oilers when they blew the 35-3 lead in the wild card game at Buffalo in 1992.

He didn't reach the pinnacle of success in the league, but being a player and coach in the NFL for that long is a dream come true for most. He was well respected and well liked. RIP.

Archived