Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

Check out The Following on Fox. Great show.

And I co-sign what everyone else has said about House of Cards. I watched the entire season over a two day period.

The Following has become quite absurd. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't call it a great show. Not yet anyway. OP would be better off getting into 24, which was epic.

I've watched most of the popular series like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Dexter, SoA, homeland, and my gf makes me watch trublood but thats not to bad either. But there are a couple that for whatever reason, I haven't watched. The three I'm most interested in are

1. The Walking Dead. I've never even seen the piolet. But from everything I've heard from everyone I know, this show is the best show out.

2. House of Cards on Netflix. Haven't heard to much about It besides its great.

3. Mad Men. I tried to watch the first episode awhile ago but couldn't get into it. I think i might have been super stoned so I just turned it off and started playing borderlands or something.

So what do you guys think? Out of these 3, which one should I start watching first?'

Are there any other good ones out that I didn't mention that you guys enjoy?

Thanks guys!

#HTTR

:helmet:

Out of those three listed, in this order:

Walking Dead

House of Cards

Mad Men

Big fan of Lost, Game of Thrones, Firefly, The Americans and Walking Dead.

One more that hasn't been mentioned yet - Fringe. Just a fantastic show (think X-Files but focused on next generation science/technology, and the people who would use those things for less than noble ends, rather than aliens). Developed a really stellar overarching mythology, and brought itself to a very satisfying close at the end. It starts off kind of episodic the first half of the first season, with each ep just a new mystery for them to solve, before it really gets going. But man does it get going. Very original and creative.

Parallel universes, alternate timelines, and John Noble (the steward of Gondor) as a brilliant but unbalanced scientist with a taste for licorice and LSD.

Ratings weren't great, but it had a super solid cult following that kept it going for 5 seasons.

Fringe was good till it jumped the shark a season or two ago.

The Following has become quite absurd. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't call it a great show. Not yet anyway. OP would be better off getting into 24, which was epic.

24 is one of my all-time favorites, but The Following isn't really that bad.

24 is one of my all-time favorites, but The Following isn't really that bad.

Following is alright. Started off strong, weakened in the middle, but has picked back up, though IMO not to as high of a degree as in the beginning. I'm holding out hopes for a strong finish to the season. I think it's worth a watch because the premise is interesting, but I must say that if weren't for Kevin Bacon's good acting and the show smartly focusing on him so much, this show might not have lasted this long.

It's definitely one show I'm thankful isn't 22-23 episodes.

15 episode first season..but really should have been 8-10 episodes. It's something that American tv could learn from the Brits.

now..a guilty pleasure recommendation - Arrow (and on the same night Supernatural).

Edited by The Evil Genius

the past 3 weeks have just been painful to watch. I know several others who have given up on the show. I will bet the gov doesn't die on the season finale, or he will die and then be back next season, cuz he didn't actually die. I wish Andrea had just knifed him in his sleep. That would have been some good ****. Instead it was all to predictable what she was going to do.

Thanks for the spoilers...... NOT!

now..a guilty pleasure recommendation - Arrow (and on the same night Supernatural).

Supernatural is nowhere near the show that some of the HBO series are... like Deadwood, Rome, NewsRoom, Game of Thrones... etc....

But I love Supernatural. It is a guilty pleasure with a capital G.... There is nothing deep or intellectual but it's just a really well done show. I just finished wathcing seven seasons on NetFlixs.. I don't think it should be on the top of anybody's list... but your life will not be as complete if you haven't seen this series... Like you life will not have been complete if you haven't eaten a ceasar salad with real anchovies at least once in your lifetime.

How can you not love a show where the executive producer names one of the main Characters after himself. Bobby Singer... Or the episode where Dean is caught in his ideal life in a parellel dimension. The one so appealing he won't be able to draw himself out of. We find out his wife in this utopia was some chick he saw once in a beer advertisement. Or the writter is the profit of the lord. It's just a well done creative and fun show.

Edited by JMS

The Following has become quite absurd.

It was an absurd premise to begin with. I enjoyed it a lot more at first, but it has lost me a bit over the last couple of weeks. I will finish this season, but I do not know how they are going to continue this show into the future. I was interested because I am fascinated with serial killers and I like Kevin Bacon. MMMMMMMMM Bacon!!!!!!!! :)

Also, the first few and last seasons of 24 were great. I almost gave up on it in the middle of their run, but they redeemed themselves.

But I love Supernatural. It is a guilty pleasure with a capital G....

Just curious, is it cheesy like Doctor Who on BBC? I like Doctor Who by the way. Supernatural is my friends favorite show, but I have had a hard time being drawn to it because all of the promotion pics I see remind me of Twilight.

I have so many shows to catch up on. My attention span has been pretty short recently, and I have a hard time watching movies, so shows have been my go to television entertainment.

Just curious, is it cheesy like Doctor Who on BBC? I like Doctor Who by the way. Supernatural is my friends favorite show, but I have had a hard time being drawn to it because all of the promotion pics I see remind me of Twilight.

I have so many shows to catch up on. My attention span has been pretty short recently, and I have a hard time watching movies, so shows have been my go to television entertainment.

If Supernatural and Twilight were people Supernatural would beat up Twilight for its lunch money.

As for show recommendations there are plenty of very good shows mentioned in this thread, but if you feel yourself getting burned out on all the serious going on hit up Archer on Netflix. They have seasons 1-3 on Instant and season 4 is running now on FX. Just beware that Archer really, REALLY earns its TV-MA DSLVXQUL& ratings so put the kiddies to bed before viewing.

Archer on Netflix. They have seasons 1-3 on Instant and season 4 is running now on FX. Just beware that Archer really, REALLY earns its TV-MA DSLVXQUL& ratings so put the kiddies to bed before viewing.

I definitely am not getting burned out on the shows. They are actually keeping my interest in t.v. at the moment. I kind of feel satisfied having to catch up on so many shows. I love Archer by the way. I just started season three. I think it is fantastic. One of my favorite cartoons. Is it a little creepy that I am turned on by Lana? I have always been attracted to Aisha, mmmmm thigh highs and short skirts haha!

Thanks for the advice by the way!!!

I don't think this one has been mentioned.

MI-5. It is a slightly older BBC show (2002-2011) about their internal counter intelligence and security agency. It is available streaming on Netflix and is great. The first episode is just okay so give it at least two episodes. After episode 2 you will be hooked.

I definitely am not getting burned out on the shows. They are actually keeping my interest in t.v. at the moment. I kind of feel satisfied having to catch up on so many shows. I love Archer by the way. I just started season three. I think it is fantastic. One of my favorite cartoons. Is it a little creepy that I am turned on by Lana? I have always been attracted to Aisha, mmmmm thigh highs and short skirts haha!

Thanks for the advice by the way!!!

Great show!

Not at all like Dr Who... There used to be an old show on TV called "Night Stalker" in the 1970's where a reporter for a tabloid traveled around reporting on the super natural events and nobody believing him. It's cheesy like that.

The cheese doesn't distract from the show.. It enhances the flavor in my opinion. Me if I was hunting demons, vampires, ghosts, even angels or God with the world in the balance; I would hope I would be like bobby fisher( in the best sense).. very calculated, cerebral, cautious.... Dean and Same are more like you would imagine John Mcenroe or maybe the golfer John Daily would be. It's kind of demon fighter meets Jerry Springer somewhat. Makes for an entertaining hour or so.

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 01:47 PM ----------

If Supernatural and Twilight were people Supernatural would beat up Twilight for its lunch money..

That's a great quote....

Yes Twilight is all about teenaged angst... as told from a girls point of view.. Do I like him, does he like me... he's bad for me.. but I like him.... Ohhhh what am I going to do...

Supernatural is more about a character Dean who is the leader of his family unit because his father has been absent most of his life hunting monsters, trapped in his own stunted teenaged angst from a dudes perspective..... Dean has had the responsibility to look after his little brother Sam against all manor of monsters since childhood and takes that seriously... He loves his dad and now as an adult has accepted his role in the family business... He kills monsters... If it's an evil monster.. he kills it. If it's a scary monster he kills it. If it's a nice monster who has killed somebody... he kills it. If you are riding in his car you are listening to mid 1970's rock. If you listen to anything else Dean makes faces like he's in physical pain. If his brother questions their mission he calls him a "little b_tch".. His longest relationship with a woman well into his late 20's was a few weeks long. Although he does grow a little as the show progresses he's basically a very simple guy... He drinks beer, booze, eats greasy hamburgers, and kills monsters. His only other interest throughout the entire series is his car, a black 1967 Chevrolet Impala which he doats over and calls Baby. Nobody messes with his car..

He's a good guy, who has been a monster killer since a child; and he's basically OK with that. That is kind of contrasted with his brother Sam who dreamed as a child of having a normal life. Which Dean constantly makes fun of.... I mean hell it's his little brother.. They make their living hustling pool and scaming people to support their monster hunting profession.

They start out killing demons and ghosts and all manor of beasts. and then progress to involve themselves in wars between heaven and hell. Satan, Death, Reapers and all manor of supernatural beasts on a galactic relativity.. They take this war across every plain of existence you've ever heard of.. heaven, hell, purgatory, and parallel dimensions. And everywhere they go and no mater how strange things get; Dean and Sam are basically the same guys.

Edited by JMS

Are there any other good ones out that I didn't mention that you guys enjoy?

Thanks guys!

#HTTR

:helmet:

My wife and I had a marathon going last Fall catching up with the Walking Dead. We are so glad we did....completely addicted now. Great story line, characters, cliff hangers, etc.....you won't be sorry.

I would also recommend Six Feet Under.....you can Netflix all the seasons.

Btw, Shameless on Showtime is good too. Family dysfunction at its finest. ;)

I'd start with The Walking Dead. I still think that Breaking Bad is the best show on TV but The Walking Dead is quite good. I also enjoyed Hell on Wheels. I'm not sure if that will be renewed but it's pretty entertaining. I still watch Southland as well. I liked it when it was on NBC and they have new episodes on TNT.

I'm also looking for new stuff to watch as well. I want to watch The Wire but it isn't on Netflix.

I was able to watch the entire run of The Wire by borrowing it from my local public library. Just finished season 6 of Dexter the same way.

And it's free since I already paid my taxes anyway.

If you have Netflix, I suggest checking into Lilyhammer. Steven Van Zandt as an former Mobster in witness protection in Norway.

Edited by mbws

Salute to the other Archer fans (my fave animated show since the Simpsons' early years) and Aisha Tyler has always been hotter than hell since that dating show I first saw her host.

The physical appearance of her character on the show is only slightly exaggerated. :)

Edited by Jumbo