Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

On 6/6/2023 at 7:05 PM, The Sisko said:

Derry Girls seems pretty good too so far, but I have to lean on the subtitles for it.

Orla McCann’s dialog is a work of art. But at least it’s not a rural Derry accent. That’s incomprehensible.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2023 at 5:28 PM, Die Hard said:

If you like Mrs Davis…. you’d probably dig Preacher. That was pretty cool/amazing until the last 3 episodes that filled me with regret/disappointment.

Preacher was absolutely right up my alley when I started it... and for some reason I fell off of it about half way through the first season. I can't even tell you exactly why. It just didn't keep me dialed in. 

6 minutes ago, Chachie said:

Preacher was absolutely right up my alley when I started it... and for some reason I fell off of it about half way through the first season. I can't even tell you exactly why. It just didn't keep me dialed in. 

If you read any of the Preacher comics beforehand, it was likely a letdown from those. I gave up mid season 2 because I just didn't like watching the show anymore. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chachie said:
59 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

If you read any of the Preacher comics beforehand, it was likely a letdown from those. I gave up mid season 2 because I just didn't like watching the show anymore. 

And that’s why I would never have recommended Preacher on this forum, for instance.

However, the bloke who played the vampire and the bald dude who led the Christian army…. turned in incredible performances that kept me amused. 

It went over-the-top when they brought in God….. and by then I just wanted it wrap up so I could have a sense of completion.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 12:49 AM, Bishop Hammer said:

That's why I didn't give Lost a go.  It has this grand crescendo, riffing sparks of genius to rocket it faster but goes out in a silent whimper. 

Of course a lot of fans said the same thing about Game of Thrones and its finale but I didn't think it was that bad? Sure it could have been better but it tied up all the character arcs in a satisfying manner, at least to me.

Watching LOST as it aired was the only way to do it.

Half (or more) of the fun was going on the internet after an episode and discussing/reading everything about what everyone thinks is going on.  There were huge discussions on forums back in the day about the whole thing with so many different theories.

You don't get that if you are just binge watching it after the fact.

I was pissed that they flat out said the island was not purgatory after like season 4, then it basically is in the end.

• Like 2

Oh I watched the American Gladiators documentary on Netflix.  I liked it.  It's got a huge 90's vibe to it.  It was very interesting hearing these guys talk about the show back in the day and the things that happened.  It's only 5 episodes and the episodes are like 35-50 mins each so it goes by pretty quick.  If you liked the show, chances are you will like the documentary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Oh I watched the American Gladiators documentary on Netflix.  I liked it.  It's got a huge 90's vibe to it.  It was very interesting hearing these guys talk about the show back in the day and the things that happened.  It's only 5 episodes and the episodes are like 35-50 mins each so it goes by pretty quick.  If you liked the show, chances are you will like the documentary.

I was a Nitro fan before he got famous...er.  Gonna check it.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:08 PM, skinsmarydu said:

The Shield is the greatest show ever.   

I dug the Shield but it kind of got a little reaching to over the top its over the tops...if that makes sense.

Have you seen Banshee?  That show was one of my favorites in recent times along with Justified (glad that is back but haven't started new ones yet).

Banshee is gold and I put it at top of my list for series with Deadwood, The Wire, and to a lesser extent Breaking Bad (his wife got too offing annoying by the end I would ffwd thru her scenes, lol).

21 hours ago, purbeast said:

I was pissed that they flat out said the island was not purgatory after like season 4, then it basically is in the end.

IMHO that was THE greatest betrayal of fans in TV history. The numbers? The Smoke Monster? The hidden stations? All BS because ... PURGATORY. You just can't keep an audience going like that for 5 seasons and in the final episode say, "Purgatory, folks."

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, purbeast said:

I watched this the other week. It didn’t do much for me. I definitely watched American Gladiators as a kid on Saturday mornings. I don’t know. This is definitely a case of remembering something from your childhood as much grander than it was. I didn’t realize how low brow the perception of the show was at the time.

14 hours ago, Chachie said:

IMHO that was THE greatest betrayal of fans in TV history. The numbers? The Smoke Monster? The hidden stations? All BS because ... PURGATORY. You just can't keep an audience going like that for 5 seasons and in the final episode say, "Purgatory, folks."

Owned GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chachie said:

St Elsewhere says hi. 

Spoiler

Imagine spending 6 seasons watching a show and finding out at the very last scene that it's all in the head of an autistic child looking at a snowglobe. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

On 7/20/2023 at 12:30 PM, purbeast said:

When J.J. Abrams was given the keys to Star Trek, and the fans predicted that Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan, he flat out lied there, too.

On 7/22/2023 at 12:45 AM, The Evil Genius said:

St Elsewhere says hi. 

Reveal hidden contents

Imagine spending 6 seasons watching a show and finding out at the very last scene that it's all in the head of an autistic child looking at a snowglobe. 

I was not a St. Elsewhere watcher but yeah, that's the same vibe. Total cop-out.

On 7/20/2023 at 1:21 PM, purbeast said:

I got a little bored after the first 2 (3?) episodes so I bailed but it was cool at first to hear the actual gladiators recall their time.

I'm 5 episodes into Quarterback on Netflix and holy **** it's awesome!  It may be the best football show I've seen.  

And god damnit, it is really making me wish we had Cousins again.  I was a hater when he left just because he left (and I totally would have too) but this show has completely made me turn 180 on him for my irrational hating.  I will be rooting for him now as long as the games have no effect on our teams results.  

And even Mahome's wife isn't nearly as annoying as I would have expected based on just what I've seen about her in articles and on social media.

All 3 QBs just seem like super good dudes.  Mariota may be the most chilled out person I've ever seen on a football team.  Mahomes is just like a big kid out there doing what he loves.  Cousins is just a grinder and as we all know, very process oriented.  He really does keep all of the noise out as well.  His wife and Mariota's wife are probably the most humble people on  the show and just seem like regular folk.

This is a great way to get pumped up for the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For those of you who subscribe to MAX (formerly HBO max), there's a show on there called "Full Circle" starring Timothy Olyphant, Claire Danes, and Dennis Quaid. REALLY good. It's about a botched kidnapping that involves some immigrant teens from Guyana and a wealthy family's past/secrets. 

It's only 4 episodes in and I'm hooked. Highly recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife purchased a year subscription to Crave because they were running a promotion… and Crave has the largest library of shows we wanted to see. We finally got through all of them except for The Handmaids Tale.

We heard good things… but it’s 7 seasons long (complete now)… 1-he episodes… and it’s heavy. So we knew it would be a long commitment (2-3 months). So we put it off as long as we could.

We can only watch 2 episodes max… binge watching is challenging. We’re in season 4, episode 4.

Its been a long time since I’ve shed so many years. So good. The music is so powerful… so many powerful scenes… where the dialogue is non-existent or minimal.

Highly recommend!

And I hope that Elizabeth Moss (lead actress) sought mental health therapy. There is just no way anyone can portray that level of trauma… and an endless repeated cycle of it… and not be affected by it.

• Like 1