Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guys I need recommendations on the next TV series I should start watching.

stoney26

48 minutes ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

I used to live in Myrtle Beach and it was in a very nice house, but if you walked 450 yeards South, it became the hood.

They show thats how ATL is in the first episode when they smoke on a old couch in a field, right next to huge, nice homes.

I guess a lot of places in the south are like that

ATL is definitely like that.  My cousin lives there, first time I went to visit him he drove me to one block, talking multi-million dollar homes, then when you turned the corner of the block, it was a run down, poor neighborhood right on the other side.  

On 8/12/2015 at 10:55 PM, visionary said:

Just saw the first episode of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell.  (or should I say, 'Mr.  Norelllll').  Pretty damn good.  Haven't seen the rest yet, but I liked the mix of magic, 19th century England, creepiness, and humor.  The street magician and Norell's manservant are pretty cool.

First episode is free on Amazon instant video.

The first season is on Netflix now and it's great.  I'm captivated. I saw it described in one of the reviews as Harry Potter for the 50+ crowd.  As if that were a bad thing?  Very Gaiman like.

• Like 1

On September 8, 2016 at 0:28 PM, youngchew said:

Also, Oprah has a new drama on her network called "Queen Sugar."

Thanks, I heard a clip of that on the radio and couldn't figure out what the show was to save my life. Speaking of black shows, I can't wait for Insecure to drop. Awkward Black Girl was pure genius and I expect Insecure to be the same. Somewhere, somehow I'm keeping hope alive that Issa Rae will have my babies. ??

What I'm not really getting much is Atlanta. I love me some Donald Glover/Childish Gambino but I only laughed once in the first episode. Since it is DG, I can't help but give it more time though.

On September 15, 2016 at 3:35 PM, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

I used to live in Myrtle Beach and it was in a very nice house, but if you walked 450 yeards South, it became the hood.

They show thats how ATL is in the first episode when they smoke on a old couch in a field, right next to huge, nice homes.

I guess a lot of places in the south are like that

Hey, we likes our income inequality down "schere". ...but that's a topic for another thread. ?

Finally, mad props to those of you that recommended Stranger Things. I watched one episode and was hooked. In fact, I avoided returning to this thread because of the risk of even the smallest spoilers. Yeah, it's probably The Big Chill for my generation but **** it. This show was just truly excellent on all levels. A few holes in the plot but hey, nothing's perfect.

Well, new episodes of TV starts tomorrow on the networks and throughout the fall on the cable and online.

Really looking forward to "Luke Cage" - Sept. 30  and "Designated Survivior"- starting Wednesday. Think it's Wednesday.

Also, there's bound to be some new show I will love; only to see it canceled after only 1 season.

i watched the first episodeof Bojack Horseman anbout 6 months ago......    i thought it was fairly dull, and my wife hated it.

but.... it has 99% rotten tomatoes, and Netflixx gave it a solid 5 stars for us.... so i tried episode 2 last night.

snore.

does this show suddenly get a lot better... or is this it???

• Like 2

Emmy voters nailed the Maslany and Malek selections for best acress/actor in a drama last year.

Too bad that they didn't recognize that Mr Robot was the best drama last season.  

edit..also Lucifer returns tonight. With Tricia Helfer being added to the series (playing his Mom). I always like that #6. ;)

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

:rofl89:

I love the running joke of people taking awkward selfies with Paper Boi.

On a serious note, Atlanta is truly a testament to the benefit of diversity for our culture.  This show would not have been made five to ten years ago.  But we're seeing an opening up of TV/streaming video to shows about, and created by, minorities.  The result is that energetic and ambitious creative geniuses like Aziz Ansari and Donald Glover get to make some incredible TV that instills the medium with new life and fresh ideas.  Audiences are richer for it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

:rofl89:

I love the running joke of people taking awkward selfies with Paper Boi.

atlanta-FX-paper-boi-340x226.png

On 9/19/2016 at 10:40 AM, mcsluggo said:

i watched the first episodeof Bojack Horseman anbout 6 months ago......    i thought it was fairly dull, and my wife hated it.

but.... it has 99% rotten tomatoes, and Netflixx gave it a solid 5 stars for us.... so i tried episode 2 last night.

snore.

does this show suddenly get a lot better... or is this it???

It does get better, though I loved all of it.  It also gets a lot more serious (though with plenty of humor still there).

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1