Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bigger Need Right Now: Safety or Right Tackle?

NoVaSkins21

This is a thought I've been grappling as it relates to the draft. These two positions were glaring problems throughout last season. There were games where teams were passing at will on the Skins (Pittsburgh, STL, Cincy) There were also games where RG3 was seemingly figured out by the opposing defense and he had no answer for them. (Carolina and Cincy) Both of those games highlighted problems on the OL and the secondary. Personally, I think the greatest need is at safety and has been ever since ST (RIP) passed away. Shanahan and Co. were able to mix and match the OL to find solutions along the way, but the secondary was a problem all year long with injuries, suspensions :doh:, and just plain bad personnel. I would like to have my fellow ES members thoughts and contributions on this issue. :munchout: and hoping for a spirited discussion.

Dummies are going to say safety, but it is really RT. The offense could only function as long as we were never in a classic drop back passing game. The reason was that our pass protection in the right side was abysmal. Watch the Carolina game, and you'll see what I am talking about.

Dummies are going to say safety, but it is really RT. The offense could only function as long as we were never in a classic drop back passing game. The reason was that our pass protection in the right side was abysmal. Watch the Carolina game, and you'll see what I am talking about.

Thank you for calling me a dummy. We know we can have a top 5 offense and be a division champ with the RT we currently have, not even considering that Compton could play and be an improvement.

We have no idea what our level of play is with a quality safety that could improve the defense from the historically bad rate it was on last season. It could easily be the difference in a #1 seed in the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure that you will be in the minority in your thinking. Therefore, I theorize that you have called the majority of ES a bunch of "dummies". I'm partial to being called "dumbass", but that's just me. :)

The Carolina game sucked. The seven games after that were okay. And y'all are seriously sleeping on Tom Compton. Seriously.

It's close, keeping RGIII upright is top priority, but I think free safety wins out. We might have a RT solution in Compton...maybe. We'll see if the solution is on the roster, but that's more than we can say for free safety, the solution to that problem is most certainly not on the roster, unless we're counting Jackson, who can't even step onto the football field until mid-August...

From what I've seen, I think the Shannahans can be trusted with whatever on the offense. RT wasn't great, but the end result of the offense was always good.

Defense, it can still be debated whether it's more scheme or players, but with the who's who (literally) at safety, I think Has gets a pass and needs the best players possible.

A full season of Merriwether could be a nice surprise...although I wouldn't be that surprised; he plays well. Whatever the case, I'm far less worried about a possible drop-off in Oline play -all that best running game in the league stuff-, than to watch any more 20+ point leads go bye-bye justlikethat.

A lot of things have been fixed lately, but one thing you still hear is that the Redskins need to stop giving up the big play. Whatever that means, it means we need safeties.

Your right about the pass pro on the right side - it could certainly be upgraded. But Polumbus was functional and the coaches are high on Compton as a future starter at that spot plus we have Hurt who stepped in and did a decent job. We have options at RT who project at least as credible starting options At FS we have a gaping hole with zero credible starting options.

Call me dumb (I guess you just did) but FS is the bigger need right now.

RT in my opinion. Merirwether and T. Jackson, but we don't know about either. Feel like there are some quality safeties that could go in 2nd round and we could pick up a RT in free agency, but...? I still rather have stud's at RT and LT protecting RG3

This is how I would feel about a quality player at either one of those positions,

If by "dummies" you mean "pretty much everyone but me," you were exactly right!

The argument here appears to be that RT is a bigger area of need because its performance was poor, but that doesn't answer why it was more egregious than the mind-****ingly terrible safety play. Our safeties were terrifying to the fans and literally no one else. I will be stunned if nothing is done about it simply because Merriweather and TJax could be good.

RT in my opinion. Merirwether and T. Jackson, but we don't know about either. Feel like there are some quality safeties that could go in 2nd round and we could pick up a RT in free agency, but...? I still rather have stud's at RT and LT protecting RG3

This is how I would feel about a quality player at either one of those positions,

My thoughts as well. Although safety play must improve over last season, I lean towards RT simply because I still believe our safety answers are already on the team. Have very high hopes for Tanard and Meriweather.

We definitely need a right tackle, however I feel like our offense is good enough to game plan around our current o-line if need be. There is no amount of game planning that can keep an NFL offense from exposing a weak secondary, especially when we have trouble creating a steady pass rush. If you disagree with that assessment, chances are you're a doo doo dummy head....

Archived