Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bigger Need Right Now: Safety or Right Tackle?

NoVaSkins21

Honestly, the fact that pass D is still considered a need after the first Philly game is mind boggling to me. Haslett did a phenomenal job getting them back into form.

And that's the thing, they had played well before. It was getting them to play well again that presented a challenge. No reason they shouldn't play well next year.

The offense sputtered at the end of the year behind a hobbled RG3. We need a RT bad to protect and we need to ensure we get Davis back or an equivalent to give him another option passing. Because let's be frank, RG3 looked like John Beck throwing in a pro-style offense. I'm not about to say Beck's as good as a passer as RG3 but Robert really thrives on an offense designed around misdirection as we found out. And having another weapon (especially a TE) is going to be critical next year to keep this success going.

I'd suggest you rewatch the second half of the first Cowboy game and the whole second Philly game when Foles cut apart our D like they were nothing. They played better, but with the guys we have, we maxed out what they are capable of and will not be able to play that way for a whole season. M. Williams is just horrible and we might not have Hall. You have to fill those holes. And RGIII looked nothing like John Beck at any point of the season. He had his less than steller moments, but he was a rookie after all.

I would say safety over anything, I'm not sure if I missed something this season but I didn't think polumbus played that bad at all, actually I was presently surprised. Safety is a huge need I'm that our projected starters are coming off injury and the other is suspended still..... Williams needs to upgraded vastly, I still have very high hopes on meriwether, I love that guy, but yes I think safety is much more of a need than rt, think we had a top 10 offense and the 2nd worst pass d in the league... Pretty telling imo

While Right Tackle is definitely up their in terms of our teams’ top needs, I don’t know how anyone can say safety isn’t the top priority after watching Madieu Williams start for us all year last year. Our RT wasn’t All-pro, but he was serviceable. RGIII did not get hurt because of horrible RT play. We were able to run the ball effectively to the right side. Our defense however got torched repeatedly because Williams couldn’t keep up with any WR deep.

Number 1 rushing offense.

Top 5 total offense.

Top 5 passing offense in terms of total efficiency (FBO).

Near league worst defense.

28th total defense.

30th pass defense.

While both are a need, these stats right here show that safety has to be the main priority, imho. We have some depth at RT in Compton and others but a safety its tough to compete defensively when Reed Doughty is a your best safety last year ( I love Reed, a hard worker and player and great depth). Even without a significant upgrade at RT it is likely that the offense performs at a similiar or better level next year. With the passing defense, there must be improvement and safety was the weakest link in the passing defense last year.

It's safety.

Simply because there are conceivably three roster spots that need to be figured out concerning the safeties - imo.

1. The starting FS.

M. Williams proved to not be the answer as the starter and after his performance throughout the entirety of the season, I'd say he's no longer worth the candle. Meaning, that even if relegated as a back-up, you know what he'll give you if he has to play for any significant time. You want the primary back-up, the # 2 on the depth chart to at least have "spot-starter" upside. MW is also a free agent and I don't think he should be considered for starter or back-up. So that means not only the # 1 FS, but also the # 2 FS.

We already know that T. Jackson would have been the starter had he not been suspended. Well, he was, so there. And we know that his reinstatement won't occur until August this year (apparently). So we can't rely on him to show up in August and assume the role of starter or really back-up. You have to make plans in lieu of that. That leads us to the back-up FS, as well.

2. The back-up FS.

So that's two spots on the Roster. Two needs at one position. So by basic math, safety is more of a need considering that RIGHT Tackle is only one roster spot. Likewise, as has been disseminated by some, myself included, Tom Compton can't be forgotten in this mix.

And really when you think about it, Polumbus would be cost effective to return in some capacity to go along with Compton. He at least has plenty of starting experience to draw from. And while YES, his pass protection is the area of needed improvement, his run blocking is actually good. So in all essence of things, what we need at RT, is actually 1/2 ("one-half") of a Tackle. One that has good pass pro. And even then, TP at times held his own in pass pro - not great, not good sometimes, but ok at times - serviceable.

__

To answer the FS part in two ways, a combo of free agency and draft. Possibly Corey Lynch in FA and then the draft. Personally, Rambo.

Then there's the possible 3rd need at safety.

3. Another SS, in case of Merriweather's health.

The 3rd possible need at Safety concerns Merriweather. Now whether you want to focus on his skills or describe his style of play or the fact that he's bounced from a couple of teams, so be it. But to me, the major issue is his health and longevity. We just don't know.

He's had multiple injuries to both knees and multiple subsequent surgeries. So in some sense, I think another body to compete at SS is also another need.

We already have Reed D. who fits the role of back-up, spot starter and capable starter at SS. He's been around with the team for years and has been a grinder. He's the kind-of safety-net that you need as a back-up, as a # 2 on the depth chart.

Lynch to me is about equal with Doughty in terms of athletic skill and ability and the rest. Except C. Lynch would be the safety-net at FS.

So if that were to be set-up prior to the draft, with those two guys as the buffer, then that allows for the draft to yield two selections, one for FS and one for SS. And since (at least to my analysis) there are many more bodies available at SS than FS in this year's draft, it allows for one to wait until the end of the draft to bring in a SS candidate "from the back-end."

Essentially whoever is around in the 5th or 6th or 7th. Duke Williams, B. McDougald, some others. For example a few of the c-usa guys, like a crossover LB who has great coverage skills in Phillip Steward, as a possible hybrid SS. Or a Dexter McCoil.

As far as FS, I see the draft class as pretty lean. I'd actually prioritize FS in both Free Agency and draft. But with the draft, again, there a re plenty of guys who I can see fill that SS role real easy and many will be available at # 51. However, I actually believe that SS has the depth to yield a Duke Williams in the 4th to 5th and McDougald in the 7th, possibly 6th. Essentially, you can wait and see who falls. Becuase you at least have Dought at SS if all else fails and then you have a question mark in Merriweather.

Then the "guys" already on roster, like Bernstein and Pugh and Gomes and whoever else, they compete. If they win out, awesome. But I'm not putting my hat on the idea that the # 3s on the depth chart somehow grab the mantle. A 7th rounder like Bernstein is just like another McDougald, a late round guy who has just as much a chance as anyone. You bring these guys in every year. If they work out, good. But you should get my point. They haven't taken over the depth chart so it would be homer eyes to envision that one of those guys leapfrogs to the top.

But with FS, I think there are few that actually align with that Deep Centerfield role and who likewise can be day 1 competitors. After Reid, I see Rambo. Then gaps. With guys like Jefferson in the 4th who still needs time and Hall and Evans in the 5th or 6th and each would be platoon guys to start, back-ups.

I mean that's ok in a sense if you really felt strong about Lynch for example. But I'd be inclined to get the best possible FS in the draft to combo with what I'd call a long tenured back-up and spot-starter in Lynch.

I'd go with someone like Lynch or the injury case from NYG, K. Phillips - but again, personally, I've had my fill of the injury cases that we hope get right here in Washington but never do. shanahan has struck out more than he's hit singles or doubles in that department. Jammal Brown the prime example. If it's free agency, I'd err on the healthy guys. I'd double down at FS in FA and draft.

__

So that's at least 2 for sure FS spots and maybe another SS spot. Possibly 3 safety spots overall to 1 RT spot. In conclusion, safety has the bigger need.

Dummies are going to say safety, but it is really RT. The offense could only function as long as we were never in a classic drop back passing game. The reason was that our pass protection in the right side was abysmal. Watch the Carolina game, and you'll see what I am talking about.

Count me as a dummy in your book then. Mike Shanahan has a knack for getting the most out of lineman like he does a RB, psst it's the system broh. Besides reality is unit production of Offense vs. Defense and that effect on games outcome. I mean you could learn a lot from a dummy.

---------- Post added March-11th-2013 at 09:08 AM ----------

It all begins with the big boys up front. I would go with the Right tackle.

That settles it, Safety for sure.

Archived