Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bigger Need Right Now: Safety or Right Tackle?

NoVaSkins21

I want to say RT because we need to protect the BEST player we've had in decades...but we all know his athletic ability can make up for lapses at that RT spot. More so because the rush is right in his line of vision.

So I say Safety is more important but I think CB should most definitely be a candidate for this distinction as well. Meangelo and Wilson have to be one of the WORST starting combos in the NFL.

Well, I would say RT just because they don't actually have on on the roster.

They do have some Safeties.

But, if they are able to re-sign Polumbus, then I'd probably say that our Safety play last year was not as good as our RT play. BUT, if you could upgrade from Polumbus, and help the offense even more, it might be worth continuing to suck at Safety.

Question of Priority: Do you try and maintain and upgrade your strength (offense) or allow it to slip back and upgrade your weakness.

Personally, I think if the defense is going to be average at best, let it be average at best, and just make sure the offense can rock and roll. Then attack the D when we have all our cap money back next year. It stinks. But it is what it is.

Well, I would say RT just because they don't actually have on on the roster.

They do have some Safeties.

But, if they are able to re-sign Polumbus, then I'd probably say that our Safety play last year was not as good as our RT play. BUT, if you could upgrade from Polumbus, and help the offense even more, it might be worth continuing to suck at Safety.

Question of Priority: Do you try and maintain and upgrade your strength (offense) or allow it to slip back and upgrade your weakness.

Personally, I think if the defense is going to be average at best, let it be average at best, and just make sure the offense can rock and roll. Then attack the D when we have all our cap money back next year. It stinks. But it is what it is.

I really don't know how you can say we had safites on the roster if you watched any of the games last year...and had the fifith best offense with supposidly no RT???? I'm not sure what people are watching/thinking.....

I really don't know how you can say we had safites on the roster if you watched any of the games last year...and had the fifith best offense with supposidly no RT???? I'm not sure what people are watching/thinking.....

Me neither. In theory, this thread should not even exist...

Why would an offense getting a healthy Garcon, Davis and Helu back and a matured Hankerson slip back?

Not to mention possibly having the same 5 offensive lineman playing together for a second year in a row for the first time in as long as I can remember.

Was the last time we rolled into a new season when it was Samuels, Dockerty, Rabach, Thomas and Jansen? That's awful.

Although the team will improve more by grabbing a top safety, the risk for failing to improve the tackle spot is the greatest concern. RGIII took a lot of hard hits last year and often when dropping back to pass the pocket collapsed almost immediately. Without RG3, the chances of short and long term team success are greatly diminished. Considering the investment we incurred to obtain him, the first priority is protection and weapons.

Although the team can go farther with a top safety, they can fall farther with repeated hard hits to RGIII.

Although the team will improve more by grabbing a top safety, the risk for failing to improve the tackle spot is the greatest concern. RGIII took a lot of hard hits last year and often when dropping back to pass the pocket collapsed almost immediately. Without RG3, the chances of short and long term team success are greatly diminished. Considering the investment we incurred to obtain him, the first priority is protection and weapons.

Although the team can go farther with a top safety, they can fall farther with repeated hard hits to RGIII.

It all begins with the big boys up front. I would go with the Right tackle.

I'm thinking RT and I would hope the team slots the draft needs as such. I think you can get better value at Safety later in the draft than you can with OT's, I would hope They take a T in the second and a Safety or 2 later on. There seems to be a big drop off in OT talent after the top 10 or so, and historically safeties & db's from smaller schools in late rounds have proven they can crack NFL rosters.

The fact is both, we culdn't run nearly as effectively on the right side. And as has been shown already the pass protection on the right side was bad and inconsistant. Safety held the whole defense captive, when they funtioned decently we were able to stop teams.But we lost some games we shouldn't have ( Giants and others i am sure).But, its not just RT and Safety but guard as well that need addressing.Lichtenstieger played some of his best ball last year but everytime when we played a strong smash mouthed defense like the Ravens and Pittsburg our line struggled . Especially in stright ahead short yardage read zone type runs as well as protection.The lack of size and overall strength showed up against guys like Komeateau, Hampton, Ngata and Cody.we've struggled for years at it.But i admit that last year they as a whole did much better than in years before.Montgomery had a Redskins career year as well.Perect world i would love to see them draft a safety ,cb, lb, center Schwenke from Cal,maybe a guard and the wr Swopes from A&M, the one all the mags say is your typical white boy who can't run with any speed or quickness and is at best a possesion type wr.Maybe take a rb in the 5th like Kniles Davis out of Arkansas. a year or two ago he was one of the top prospects coming out , now he's coming out after enduring the turmoil of Arkansas the last couple of years.Also it would be sweet to get Eric winston fa rt and a few other of mid range price.But money talks and they have a hard choice to make. if some of the players now under contract would bite the bullet for the team things might go easier. But thats asking a heck of alot and no guarantee if it would be enough.Man, if we had that 18 mil last year and this year what we could we have done? oh well no use in cryin over spilt milk, HTTR

RT

Haslet finally caved and lets us see we can win being aggressive. It took being on the brink of missing the playoffs, to switch. Why it took so long to adjust is mind boggling. Yes we made the playoffs with those safeties most everyone complained about keeping us out of the playoffs.

I remember III on the run right after the snap far too often when Polo and the line got blown up.

That said, if we focus on more fleet mobile OL that struggle in pass protection, I question what we NEED more, this or that player, or do we really need refocus on the type of linemen we go after.

Other teams with stout pass pro can also run the ball. It's a myth to think a team must use a ZBS to run the ball.

Dummies are going to say safety, but it is really RT. The offense could only function as long as we were never in a classic drop back passing game. The reason was that our pass protection in the right side was abysmal. Watch the Carolina game, and you'll see what I am talking about.

I guess I'm a dummy. We need a damn safety!

Gotta be safety. That being said w/ the expectations of Meriweather returning at SS. A simple comparison is who was worse at their position. Polumbus or Williams? Yes, we could do better than Polumbus. But Williams is a clear handicap on our defense.

Handicap is being way too kind.

Honestly, the fact that pass D is still considered a need after the first Philly game is mind boggling to me. Haslett did a phenomenal job getting them back into form.

And that's the thing, they had played well before. It was getting them to play well again that presented a challenge. No reason they shouldn't play well next year.

The offense sputtered at the end of the year behind a hobbled RG3. We need a RT bad to protect and we need to ensure we get Davis back or an equivalent to give him another option passing. Because let's be frank, RG3 looked like John Beck throwing in a pro-style offense. I'm not about to say Beck's as good as a passer as RG3 but Robert really thrives on an offense designed around misdirection as we found out. And having another weapon (especially a TE) is going to be critical next year to keep this success going.

Archived