Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RANTSPORTS.COM: RG3 Should Sit Out Entire 2013 Season (POLL)

Uno Mas

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It's real simple.

If Robert's not healthy enough to play, he won't play.

If Rober's healthy enough to play, he'll play, but ONLY when he's ready to play.

TRUTH !!

Besides, why would the Skins even concider dealing Cousins as the OP mentioned.

Man, most fans want to have quality back up players at all positions, but when we do get some quality back up players, some fans want to deal them away to other teams.

YES, protect Robert and the franchise.

NO WAY, Robert plays as soon as medically cleared.

You don't need a poll for a two answer question, seriously. This is so much more complicated than that. This is a medical recovery to be judged by those who do this for a living, not by SportsBoard hipsters with no medical knowledge.

Like almost everyone here, I voted that RG3 should play when he is cleared to do so. However, I began to think a little more, weighing on the current Salary Cap penalty situation. What if we don't get anything back and stuck with $18 Mill hit and would not be able to sign any of our own FAs nor upgrade any positions. Should we give RG3 some more time to heal for good and go ALL-IN the following year when we can bolster our team post-Salary Cap BS, protecting RG3 with a better team?? Just a thought...

I have to admit I am surprised to see such an overwhelmingly one-sided poll to this point.

Given the other choice is sit him out the season, no matter what, you shouldn't be shocked.

I expect he'll be able to play next season. But, I also don't want him to be rushed back for short-term goals. I want him to be able to continue to be the player he showed himself to be this season.

Regardless of my opinion on the matter, he'll play week 1. The organization wants butts in the seats, so RG3 will play. I especially cannot imagine him missing the home opener, which may or may not be week 1.

Regardless of my opinion on the matter, he'll play week 1. The organization wants butts in the seats, so RG3 will play. I especially cannot imagine him missing the home opener, which may or may not be week 1.

He will play when he's healthy, whether it puts butts in the seats or not.

I would expect that Robert will be on the PUP list until week 6. At that time, if all goes well, he should be ready.

Also, I want Kirk to stay as the backup for a long time. No need to deal him, keep the depth as it will be needed for years to come.

When he's cleared to play he should play. He shouldn't sit just cuz.

That said, I don't trust anyone at Redskin Park to show appropriate caution regarding Griffin, so I'll probably be holding my breath all season long (once he's back on the field.)

Wow, I'm a little surprised how serious some of you take this.

Relax, it was just a hypothetical question to provoke discussion that isnt free agent/draft related. You people are strung tight!

I feel like the poll answers you provided are very bias.

"Protect Rg3 and the franchise"

OR

pretty much "Rush him back"

there has to be an imbetween. Sitting rg3 out for an entire season would cause way too much drama it would be a media circus and a huge distraction the following season especially if Kirk did a solid job. Obviously Rg3 should not come back as soon as he is "medically cleared" he has to get himself into "football shape"

I feel like your poll answer should be "Keep him out" Or "Keep him out until he is cleared to play without risk of further injury"

As is stands now the poll is like protect the franchise or watch it burn.

I understand where youre coming from and it wasnt meant to be a choice between 'are you a greedy prick' or 'do you have a heart?'. And you're also correct about having an option in between. It was late sunday night after a long weekend, whatta ya want?

Sitting out an entire season doesn't mean anything in terms of fully recovering. See: Fred Davis. After sitting out most of last season, is anyone "damn sure he's 100%" like you apparently would be with RG3?

Once he's medically cleared, he plays. No use having him on the team if we don't use him out of fear of not being able to use him later.

Im not so sure I'd go comparing Fred Davis to RG3. Who knows how serious FD took his rehab. He doesnt quite come off as motivated as RG3. Besides, it's pretty foolish to think 6 -8 months of rehabbing and making his knee stronger would be as beneficial as 18.

It's idiotic because it comes from people who think they know more than the doctors do.

I didn't realize there were so many medical experts out there. :rolleyes:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aIV_8NylvI4/UEGkeV3sF4I/AAAAAAAABgI/PJFeCsD7itI/s1600/Why_so_serious__by_Tyrite.jpeg

No-ones trying to play doctor here.

It's also idiotic because it insinuates that playing him as soon as he's medically cleared is somehow mutually exclusive to protecting him.

If he's medically cleared, then he can play. That's the definition of being medically cleared.

Well since you mention it, can we trust this staff to look out for Robert? After all, Dr. Andrews admitted to not clearing RG3 to play but somehow he made it back on the field.

I knows it's easy to look back in hindsight, but 99% of us were scared to death watching RG3 struggle in the wildcard game, hoping what did eventually happen, wouldnt happen. Hell, can we trust Roberts word? He's shown he's the ultimate competitor, he's not coming out of the game if it's his decision and our staff apparently put him in danger without him being medically cleared.

I'll say this. With the pressure on him to return, especially a season removed from AP's miraculous recovery and season, I'll still be very nervous watching Robert play bc NOONE will actually know how healthy he is.

If he is 100%, play him. If there is any question, I am in the camp of starting him on PUP and bring him in after week 6.

This is the most realistic option in my eyes. I should have made this a poll option but I really was curious how lopsided the poll would be if it were a yes or no question.

I'm in the wait and see camp.

Once RGIII is "healthy" I want him to get strong. A little extra caution is probably wise. On the other hand, there is no safe game to play football. It's a violent sport. If the doctors believe he is good to go and RGIII feels comfortable and confident then time to let fly.

Bench him for 2013? Maybe that'll be a good idea, but it's very premature to decide that now.

Agree 100%. Well said.

B/c of a torn ACL? SO i guess AP should have sat out a long with every other player who did this last season....:doh:

Yes, because AP's situation is the norm, right? AP's case is literally, 1 in 1,000,000 or better. If you're expecting the same from Robert, Im afraid you're going to be let down.

TRUTH !!

Besides, why would the Skins even concider dealing Cousins as the OP mentioned.

Man, most fans want to have quality back up players at all positions, but when we do get some quality back up players, some fans want to deal them away to other teams.

Im all for depth, but you're fooling yourself if you dont think we'll trade him for a second round pick or better. It's not too difficult to acquire a competent Backup QB.

When he's cleared to play he should play. He shouldn't sit just cuz.

That said, I don't trust anyone at Redskin Park to show appropriate caution regarding Griffin, so I'll probably be holding my breath all season long (once he's back on the field.)

I cant believe it took 39 posts for this point to come up.

That is my major concern with seeing him play in the first half of the season, we just won't know because again, in hindsight, the situation was handled poorly. Who can we trust, other than the doctor?

Say he's cleared to play week 9. We're 4-4 with Cousins (assuming we havent hit our bye yet). Obviously we bring him back, right.

But say we're 5-3 or better and Cousins is looking pretty good. Would'nt we just let Cousins continue to drive the ship while 1) He remains leading the team in a positive direction while staying in the playoff hunt, and 2) RG3 continues to get stronger and stronger?

Seems like a win-win to me.

And that should have been a poll option, but I really wanted to see how many knowledgeable fans would err on the side of caution. And Im not saying if you voted NO youre not knowledgeable.

Put the torches away meow.

to my knowledge, no healthy quarterback has ever been injured.

football is a risky game. if he's ready to play and cleared, he should play.

if he sits out 2013, he can come in and get destroyed in week 1 of 2014.

If he sits out, and then comes in and gets an ankle sprain, do we put him on the shelf again for fear of him ever being bruised?

lets say for a second that the snap isn't in the dirt, and he doesn't have to bend over awkwardly to get it on a field that looks like the moon.

Lets say he wins the game.

do we then shelve him for the next playoff game because he's hurt?

What if the OL gets beat up, and we have three backups playing. Do we take him out to protect him?

Nope. We don't.

~Bang

if he sits out 2013, he can come in and get destroyed in week 1 of 2014.

If he sits out, and then comes in and gets an ankle sprain, do we put him on the shelf again for fear of him ever being bruised?

lets say for a second that the snap isn't in the dirt, and he doesn't have to bend over awkwardly to get it on a field that looks like the moon.

Lets say he wins the game.

do we then shelve him for the next playoff game because he's hurt?

What if the OL gets beat up, and we have three backups playing. Do we take him out to protect him?

Nope. We don't.

~Bang

I understand there are always going to be injury risks, no question. :idea:

But c'mon dude, you're comparing a sprained ankle to two ACL tears, surgeries, and rehabs?

It's common sense that the longer you rehab an injury, the stronger it gets. That's it.

That said, coming off of two rebuilds in 4 years, forgive me for being a bit cautious. And again, our staff is suspect when it comes to this issue, so it makes me even more cautious.

Call me crazy.

As much as Robert was successful in his rookie year, we can't forget how important it is that he continues to develop. And the best way to develop in the NFL, especially at QB, is to play. It seems like that fact has no place in this discussion. Robert sitting out for an entire year would be so ridiculously stupid if it's about "his career" because it would hamper his development by an entire year.

I understand there are always going to be injury risks, no question. :idea:

But c'mon dude, you're comparing a sprained ankle to two ACL tears, surgeries, and rehabs?

It's common sense that the longer you rehab an injury, the stronger it gets. That's it.

That said, coming off of two rebuilds in 4 years, forgive me for being a bit cautious. And again, our staff is suspect when it comes to this issue, so it makes me even more cautious.

Call me crazy.

Again, if you could guarantee me that healthy quarterbacks are not instantly vulnerable to devastating injury, then I'd say you had a point.

But since that isn't even remotely true, your idea of leaving him on the bench to be healthier is ludicrous.

When he's cleared and ready, he should play, and no amount of extra caution can ever protect him. Giving him an extra year when it's not necessary does nothing except take away a year that he can't play for us.

as far as the team's track record.. speculation is all I've heard in this regard.. this fan base and the media that surrounds it are constantly looking for conspiracies. I'd be more worried that they don't do anything with the field, and once again down the stretch he's playing on a surface that can tear him up.

Football players play, and they play hurt.

if the center hadn't snapped the ball into the craters, chances are this conversation never happens. if the field is properly maintained we may never have this conversation. There's just as much indication that those factors cause injuries as much as anything else.

But there's a chance the center might do it again. and chances are he may have to spin awkwardly and pick it up again, and there's a chance it may tear up his knee again.

we've seen healthy knees get torn with no contact, we've seen injured knees get torn with no contact.

it's a fluke.

~Bang

I But c'mon dude, you're comparing a sprained ankle to two ACL tears, surgeries, and rehabs?

One ACL tear. Andrews said this ACL was intact and it was getting loose at the bore sights (where the screws are), akin to having loose lugnuts on a tire.

And anyone saying we should put him on the PUP list isn't thinking this through. He will not be able to practice during OTAs or training camp. Meaning he can practice ZERO times with the team. So, he sits out OTAs, sits out TC, sits out 6 weeks of the season and then you guys expect him to come back and play? PUP list is NOT an option.

When he's cleared and ready, he should play, and no amount of extra caution can ever protect him. Giving him an extra year when it's not necessary does nothing except take away a year that he can't play for us.

as far as the team's track record.. speculation is all I've heard in this regard.. this fan base and the media that surrounds it are constantly looking for conspiracies. I'd be more worried that they don't do anything with the field, and once again down the stretch he's playing on a surface that can tear him up.

~Bang

If you dont believe a person can strengthen a reconstructed knee any more than after a doctor clears you to play, you're fooling yourself. THAT, is ludicrous. And if he didnt take a beating for an entire season, chances are that could prolong his career by one year, maybe.

Speculation? Dr. Andrews was quoted by the commentary crew during the wildcard game as saying he never cleared Robert to play. Robert played. What part of that is speculation?

I'd agree with you on the rest. Field sucks, needs to be addressed. Injuries can happen anytime, yada yada yada.

But Im just asking, whats wrong with taking extra precaution with the player you've invested so much in? If Robert is rushed back and starts the season and blows his knee up again, do you think I'll be the only one raising questions?

Hell no, I won't.

Then chances are the only time you'll see RG3 at FedEx is in the owners booth yucking it up with Danny Boy.

Sounds awesome.

If you dont believe a person can strengthen a reconstructed knee any more than after a doctor clears you to play, you're fooling yourself. THAT, is ludicrous. And if he didnt take a beating for an entire season, chances are that could prolong his career by one year, maybe.

Speculation? Dr. Andrews was quoted by the commentary crew during the wildcard game as saying he never cleared Robert to play. Robert played. What part of that is speculation?

Why believe him in CYA mode?

His timing was suspect to say the least.

(And here i am with a conspiracy theory!)

Strengthening it, you're right. But it's no guarantee of anything except a missed year.

I'd be more inclined to agree if your option was to enter the season on the PUP and see how it is after a month as opposed to sitting for a full year.

Given the 'miraculous' comebacks we've seen becoming more and more routine, i'd say that the surgery is better than it used to be, by far.

AP either proved he isn't human or that the doctors are doing amazing things.

Taking the two most common comparisons,, AP and Welker, both happened very late in the year and neither were expected to be back the following year.. yet both were, and both were as if it never happened.

~Bang

Archived