Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RANTSPORTS.COM: RG3 Should Sit Out Entire 2013 Season (POLL)

Uno Mas

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

One ACL tear. Andrews said this ACL was intact and it was getting loose at the bore sights (where the screws are), akin to having loose lugnuts on a tire.

And anyone saying we should put him on the PUP list isn't thinking this through. He will not be able to practice during OTAs or training camp. Meaning he can practice ZERO times with the team. So, he sits out OTAs, sits out TC, sits out 6 weeks of the season and then you guys expect him to come back and play? PUP list is NOT an option.

So we'll call it 1.5 tears?

Good point on the PUP list option.

Yes, because AP's situation is the norm, right? AP's case is literally, 1 in 1,000,000 or better. If you're expecting the same from Robert, Im afraid you're going to be let down.

Do you know how many guys tear their ACL every season and are back and ready to go by the following season?? A LOT. And i never said i was expecting the same out of Robert. Just stating AP and RGIII had pretty close to the same injury about a month apart. RGIII will be fine and there is no reason he should sit out the entire season.

Looking at this realistically, I don't want him starting week 1. I see the Adrian Peterson situation, and I tell myself that was most likely a one in a million recovery. From what I've read and seen, 8 months is not long enough for that knee to recover. I already know that with Griffin's personality to push himself, along with our fan bases eagerness to accept that he's full healed, he may try to come back too soon AGAIN.

I just hope this time someone can temper his expectations, because I see fans' expectations becoming more and more ridiculous. I'd give him a few weeks, maybe even until our bye week if it's in the week 5-8 range. Kirk is capable and could benefit from the experience as well. Kirk would be driving up his trade value while Griffin would be getting stronger.

Anyone remember Any Given Sunday when there was all that pressure on the doctor to clear the players to play? That's what I think of when I read through these posts.

Why believe him in CYA mode?

His timing was suspect to say the least.

(And here i am with a conspiracy theory!)

Strengthening it, you're right. But it's no guarantee of anything except a missed year.

I'd be more inclined to agree if your option was to enter the season on the PUP and see how it is after a month as opposed to sitting for a full year.

~Bang

PJFOOTBALLER made a good point about the PUP list, if his info is correct.

Honestly, bringing him back mid-season would make me feel much better about his health. My concern is that Robert is such a warrior that he'd do everything possible to get on the field as fast as he can under normal circumstances. Now I dont know who projected him to possibly start game one, but it's out there and as you know, thats expecting a lot. RG3 will say all the right things, and mean what he says, but the competitor in him is gonna go when it feels good, not necessarily when it's healthy.

Ok, came across this just now, kinda makes me feel a little bit better:

"Ninety-five percent of competitive high school athletes were able to return to competitive athletics after ACL reconstruction, and 84% were able to return to the same sport at the same competitive level. There was no difference between boys and girls in the ability or time to return to competition after ACL reconstruction. For all sports, the mean time to return to light sports activities was 6.6 weeks, and the mean time to return to full competition was 5.4 months. The risk of re-injury to the ACL did not increase with early return to sports competition. Achieving and maintaining full range of motion after ACL reconstruction is the primary factor for obtaining a good long-term result."

http://http://lowerextremityreview.com/article/rehab-speeds-return-after-acl-surgery

Interesting read.

Looking at this realistically, I don't want him starting week 1. I see the Adrian Peterson situation, and I tell myself that was most likely a one in a million recovery. From what I've read and seen, 8 months is not long enough for that knee to recover. I already know that with Griffin's personality to push himself, along with our fan bases eagerness to accept that he's full healed, he may try to come back too soon AGAIN.

I just hope this time someone can temper his expectations, because I see fans' expectations becoming more and more ridiculous. I'd give him a few weeks, maybe even until our bye week if it's in the week 5-8 range. Kirk is capable and could benefit from the experience as well. Kirk would be driving up his trade value while Griffin would be getting stronger.

Anyone remember Any Given Sunday when there was all that pressure on the doctor to clear the players to play? That's what I think of when I read through these posts.

Exactly!

Welcome to the minority.

Stupid. Moronic. Idiotic. Over-reaction.

When someone with a medical degree makes such a suggestion, wake me up. Until then, I'll take this for what it is. An article written by a hack sports "journalist" with no supporting medical information and a desire to be controversial.

:doh:

---------- Post added March-4th-2013 at 07:28 PM ----------

But Im just asking, whats wrong with taking extra precaution with the player you've invested so much in? If Robert is rushed back and starts the season and blows his knee up again, do you think I'll be the only one raising questions?

Taking extra caution would be holding him back for a few weeks. Holding him back for a year would be complete lunacy.

Like almost everyone here, I voted that RG3 should play when he is cleared to do so. However, I began to think a little more, weighing on the current Salary Cap penalty situation. What if we don't get anything back and stuck with $18 Mill hit and would not be able to sign any of our own FAs nor upgrade any positions?? Should we give RG3 some more time to heal for good and go ALL-IN the following year when we can bolster our team post-Salary Cap BS, protecting RG3 with a better team?? Just a thought...

Also, the threat of sitting RG3 for the year to recuperate if we don't get cap room back from NFL could be added to the argument... Especially if we can't protect him by improving the line/team! The NFL has to realize that RG3 is the present and the future of the NFL!!

The more I think about it, I'd be inclined to sit him for the season so we were damn certain that his $100,000,000 knee is 100% the next time he breaks a huddle.

Why not two seasons? Why not 10 games? Choosing "the season" does seem a bit arbitrary. When he's fit and ready to play, he'll play. I would imagine that the majority on here, hope that happens before week 1.

Your options could have been worded a little better, they aren't really mutually exclusive. I want Robert to be protected, and for him to play when he's ready (medically cleared).

Taking extra caution would be holding him back for a few weeks. Holding him back for a year would be complete lunacy.

or would it be?

Jan. 9 was his surgery date. Week one would fall in early september, approx 8 months after surgery. Playoffs begin around anniversary of surgery date.

"The recovery period from an ACL tear will vary from person to person, because different factors contribute to the healing process. Recovery is also dependent upon what type of procedure was performed, such as surgery or a less invasive procedure. Most football players, for example, will be out with an ACL tear for a year with intensive rehabilitation for about nine months. The rehabilitation for an ACL tear is extreme and often starts a couple days after surgery is performed."

http://http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-9164311

You do the math.

Also, the threat of sitting RG3 for the year to recuperate if we don't get cap room back from NFL could be added to the argument... Especially if we can't protect him by improving the line/team! The NFL has to realize that RG3 is the present and the future of the NFL!!

I'd look at that as finding good in the bad.

---------- Post added March-4th-2013 at 03:33 PM ----------

Why not two seasons? Why not 10 games? Choosing "the season" does seem a bit arbitrary. When he's fit and ready to play, he'll play. I would imagine that the majority on here, hope that happens before week 1.

Your options could have been worded a little better, they aren't really mutually exclusive. I want Robert to be protected, and for him to play when he's ready (medically cleared).

Why the season?

As mentioned above...

The average recovery time from intrusive acl surgery amongst football players is about 12 months, with 9 of those 12 being intensive rehabilitation. The season doesnt even start until 8 months into his recovery. So at the projected 12 month mark, the regular season is over thus making it an entire year/season. And please dont mention the 1 in 1,000,000 case that is Adrian Peterson.

I've gotten the information that I set out to get when starting this thread.

I'm sure once Griffin is medically cleared in August, he'll be O.K. with wasting a year of his pro career. Do you guys who think he should sit even think about the player himself and not what you want for your franchise? He wanted to play with a torn LCL, do you think he is going to want to play it safe when he's been medically cleared? Last thing I want is a disgruntled franchise player.

:blahblah:

I'm about to graduate medical school, and as such work in a hospital each and every day. I do not claim to be an orthopedic surgeon by any stretch of the imagination, but I do work with quite a few.

I asked two orthopedic surgeons who have been in practice for over 20 years at my hospital in NYC the following question:

"Let's say your patient, who has already had an ACL reconstruction, suffers a partial tear of his graft necessitating a re-do, along with a full thickness tear of his LCL; how long would you tell that patient he has to wait before resuming full contact sports like football with no restrictions?"

Interestingly, both of them answered 6 months. One could make the argument that NFL players are hitting harder than your standard high school or college athlete, however, I'd counter that NFL players are also recovering faster than the aforementioned patient population, given their access to the best rehabilitation care available.

If both of these physicians say 6 months, and Dr. Andrews says he's made adequate progress to start week 1 (or week 2, 3, 4, etc.), then why on earth are we still debating this topic?

If you're not an orthopedic surgeon (and I don't just mean you, I mean football writers of America at large), your opinion about when it's acceptable for RG3 to return is highly irrelevant. Going further, it's likely based on anecdotal evidence that you've acquired over 30 minutes of using Google or Wikipedia, and is not a substitute for tens of thousands of hours of medical training and evidence-based practice. All of this handwringing over Shanahan "ruining" RG3 by "rushing" him back is absurd; if he's medically cleared, he's medically cleared, and that's it.

To state that he ought to sit out the entire season for "extra" rehab to be "safe" is asinine. If your mechanic tells you your breaks will last 10,000 miles, do you ask to have them replaced at 5,000 even after he insists they're OK? How is this any different?

People often joke about "arm chair GMs" on this board, and it seems that ever since RG3's injury, sportswriters and posters alike have started moonlighting as physicians.

How is this being discussed this much? lol...

Look, the idea of not playing him during that game, not playing him next year, not letting him run, etc.. all just feeds this FALSE SENSE OF SAFETY about Robert. There is NOTHING we, or the team can do to ensure Robert's 100% safety. Period. End of story.

The point that's being made, over and over, is that sitting out a year (especially just to make a fan feel better...) means NOTHING to 2014 and beyond( the whole idea here is long term safety right...). All it guarantees is that he takes no snaps for a year.

Even more annoying are the folks saying players like Russel Wilson and Andrew Luck are better at protecting themselves/should have longer careers, whatever. *BZZZZ* WRONG. Injuries are flukes. Every time.

But I feel bad for those of you who are apparently going to watch the Redskins so scared you're pissing yourself at every snap. It's a shame, learn that injuries happen anywhere, anytime and just enjoy the electricity of Robert.

Look, let's just get this out there. Barring a major setback, Griffin is NOT sitting out 2013. Any speculation that he will is as pointless as arguing batman vs superman. IT'S FICTION. :doh:

The only real question is does he start day one and Robert has already said he's not going to do anything stupid. He will start when he is ready and no one in this thread is qualified to say when that will be so I'm going to listen to RG3 and the doctors.

:tantrum:

Calm down, noone is claiming to be a doctor.

I'll admit, I was of the understanding that when Dr. Andrews went in to repair his LCL and MCL, I thought I had heard that his ACL was torn as well. I took the wildcard loss and the injury pretty hard, I didnt watch, read or listen to anything football from then until the superbowl.

Assuming that he was rehabbing a torn ACL, MCL and LCL, I assumed the rehab time would be the typical 9-12 months.

That's what I get for assuming.

Everybody take a breath and relax. :ols:

or would it be?

Jan. 9 was his surgery date. Week one would fall in early september, approx 8 months after surgery. Playoffs begin around anniversary of surgery date.

"The recovery period from an ACL tear will vary from person to person, because different factors contribute to the healing process. Recovery is also dependent upon what type of procedure was performed, such as surgery or a less invasive procedure. Most football players, for example, will be out with an ACL tear for a year with intensive rehabilitation for about nine months. The rehabilitation for an ACL tear is extreme and often starts a couple days after surgery is performed."

http://http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-9164311

You do the math.

I'd look at that as finding good in the bad.

---------- Post added March-4th-2013 at 03:33 PM ----------

Why the season?

As mentioned above...

The average recovery time from intrusive acl surgery amongst football players is about 12 months, with 9 of those 12 being intensive rehabilitation. The season doesnt even start until 8 months into his recovery. So at the projected 12 month mark, the regular season is over thus making it an entire year/season. And please dont mention the 1 in 1,000,000 case that is Adrian Peterson.

I've gotten the information that I set out to get when starting this thread.

Except it wouldn't be just a year. If, for some idiotic reason, that's what we would do, we would put him on I.R. so the roster spot is opened up for someone else. Which means that if we do make the playoffs, he couldn't play. Which means that it would be close on to 2 years (20-21 months) in between RG3 taking snaps. That's just stupid.

Except it wouldn't be just a year. If, for some idiotic reason, that's what we would do, we would put him on I.R. so the roster spot is opened up for someone else. Which means that if we do make the playoffs, he couldn't play. Which means that it would be close on to 2 years (20-21 months) in between RG3 taking snaps. That's just stupid.

I was under the assumption that he had a complete ACL tear, which would have put his realistic recovery time at 9-12 months. My bad.

But hypothetically, if that was the case, I think it would be stupid to play him within that time frame because you dont want to see him go 20 months without taking snaps? Who cares?

And say Cousins played the entire regular season and got us to the playoffs. You dont think he would have earned the right to lead the team into the playoffs while at the same time ensuring the safety of your franchise player, assuming he was iffy to be cleared to play?

It's all hypothetical.

And I dont think RG3 skips a beat missing one full season. It's not like he's old and he'd be sitting on his butt, getting fat from fried chicken. Between rehab and the film room, he'll work hard to get back to his former self.

Wow, I'm a little surprised how serious some of you take this.

Relax, it was just a hypothetical question to provoke discussion that isnt free agent/draft related. You people are strung tight!

Hypothetically what if this thread never happened to begin with?

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?378730-An-Early-Plea-to-Sit-RGIII.

I started a thread very similar to this back in January. It wasn't popular, but I obviously see your points. The poll is a little biased, but good on ya for throwing an opinion out there knowing it wouldn't be a popular one.

The thinking here should be about the next ten years, not the next one.

Archived