Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RANTSPORTS.COM: RG3 Should Sit Out Entire 2013 Season (POLL)

Uno Mas

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Jumped on espn980.com to listen to some STR and Kornheiser was on.  I noticed the '980 Fan Poll', and it asks, "If the doctors clear RG3 during training camp, when would you like to see him (and his newly reconstructed knee) back on the field?"

The question didnt surprise me but the poll results did.  They are as follows (as of 11:40 am)

A.) Preseason #1

8.2%

B.) Preseason #2

2.2%

C.) Preseason #3

27.5%

D.) Preseason #4

13.5%

E.) Regular season #1

28.8%

F.) Later in Regular season

19.5%

Nearly 20% of the voters knowing he had been cleared by doctors would prefer he rest/rehab the knee.  Thats about the reaction I expected when I started this thread months ago, long before we had any real idea he'd recover as quickly as he appears to have recovered.  

In the months that have passed, being able to see RG on the practice field, I would probably not opt to hold him out for the year, like originally said in the OP.  But I would likely still give him the first quarter of the season or more to strengthen the knee.

Anyway, excited for the start of training camp, it's almost here!!!  HTTR!

I think the more telling stat is that over half of the fans polled want him playing in the preseason.

Jumped on espn980.com to listen to some STR and Kornheiser was on.  I noticed the '980 Fan Poll', and it asks, "If the doctors clear RG3 during training camp, when would you like to see him (and his newly reconstructed knee) back on the field?"

The question didnt surprise me but the poll results did.  They are as follows (as of 11:40 am)

A.) Preseason #1

8.2%

B.) Preseason #2

2.2%

C.) Preseason #3

27.5%

D.) Preseason #4

13.5%

E.) Regular season #1

28.8%

F.) Later in Regular season

19.5%

Nearly 20% of the voters knowing he had been cleared by doctors would prefer he rest/rehab the knee.  Thats about the reaction I expected when I started this thread months ago, long before we had any real idea he'd recover as quickly as he appears to have recovered.  

In the months that have passed, being able to see RG on the practice field, I would probably not opt to hold him out for the year, like originally said in the OP.  But I would likely still give him the first quarter of the season or more to strengthen the knee.

Anyway, excited for the start of training camp, it's almost here!!!  HTTR!

I think the more telling stat is that over half of the fans polled want him playing in the preseason.

Agreed.  

Like I stated above, maybe wanting to hold him out the entire season was the nervous Nancy in me.  However, I was/am very surprised so many are willing to throw him to the sharks as soon as possible.  MWAI brings up a very good point above.  I, along with every other skins fan, would hate to see RG go down, no question.  We have waited so long for RG and have been through some pretty miserable times.  I think its safe to assume that we all want to see RG run this offense for the next decade+.  It would just be devastating to be robbed of that.  

Bring him back preseason game #3 IMO. Let him play a half at FedEx, get the fans riled up and let Kirk handle the heavy lifting the rest of the way. Making him play 3-4 seems unnecessary to me when we should all be grateful that he's even planning to start week 1.

You guys are so paranoid he's going to get hurt lol !!!! Personally I would love for him to play week 1 against the eagles, however if he's 100% healthy in  the preseason, you won't hear me complain if he plays preseason games. 

Surprised at what?  Dude's ready to go.   Why hold him back?

Yeah, and he was "ready to go" against the Seahawks, and he was limping by the end of the first quarter........

Everyone's so gung ho until he gets injured and were back to

If Robert Griffin III's healthy, he'll play. Period.

Well obviously that is the case for EVERYBODY in the NFL if they have the talent. So that is not the issue. The issue is who will determine if he is healthy. We have already walked that road before....Doctor's cleared him...he played...and reinjured himself. Brian Orakpo was CLEARED TO PLAY....played and REINJURED the same muscle. Merriweather CLEARED TO PLAY....BAM! injured in the first game back.

This is where I'm at. I dont want him to get healthy JUST enough to where he can come back and be serviceable, still running around with a limp. DAM THAT. I want him to pull a Derrick Rose. Put HIS career before any and everyone, and that dam sure includes the fans. We've been garbage for how many years, now everyone acting like we need to make this serious superbowl run this year.

All I know is that Seattle game is still FRESH  in my mind, and Im not trying to see that by the 2nd quarter of the first game, all because the organization wanted to sale more jerseys or because they let RGIII decide when he's ready. This dude is blood & guts, and if you leave it up to him, he'll take a snaps with crutches under his arm. The powers that be need to be extremely cautious with this. If he needs to take another 5 months off, than that's what needs to be done. 

I cant go back to having 3rd string caliber QB being our starters. There was a point in the season last year where RGIII was UNSTOPPABLE. RGIII needs to go into his first game back like he went into his 1st game of the season last year.   If he goes into his first game back wearing that dam knee brace, Im going to be PISSED...

Yeah, and he was "ready to go" against the Seahawks, and he was limping by the end of the first quarter........

Well obviously that is the case for EVERYBODY in the NFL if they have the talent. So that is not the issue. The issue is who will determine if he is healthy. We have already walked that road before....Doctor's cleared him...he played...and reinjured himself. Brian Orakpo was CLEARED TO PLAY....played and REINJURED the same muscle. Merriweather CLEARED TO PLAY....BAM! injured in the first game back.

This is where I'm at. I dont want him to get healthy JUST enough to where he can come back and be serviceable, still running around with a limp. DAM THAT. I want him to pull a Derrick Rose. Put HIS career before any and everyone, and that dam sure includes the fans. We've been garbage for how many years, now everyone acting like we need to make this serious superbowl run this year.

All I know is that Seattle game is still FRESH  in my mind, and Im not trying to see that by the 2nd quarter of the first game, all because the organization wanted to sale more jerseys or because they let RGIII decide when he's ready. This dude is blood & guts, and if you leave it up to him, he'll take a snaps with crutches under his arm. The powers that be need to be extremely cautious with this. If he needs to take another 5 months off, than that's what needs to be done. 

I cant go back to having 3rd string caliber QB being our starters. There was a point in the season last year where RGIII was UNSTOPPABLE. RGIII needs to go into his first game back like he went into his 1st game of the season last year.   If he goes into his first game back wearing that dam knee brace, Im going to be PISSED...

If the knee is 100%, it's not going to be getting any better. No matter how much more you rest it. Because you're not rehabbing something that's not injured.

Worrying about reinjuring it? Then we need to never play him again. That's the only way to guarantee that he won't injure it. And even then, it's not a complete guarantee because he could injure it driving his car.

I'm not even going to address you calling Cousins a "3rd string caliber" QB, when he's better than at least 1/4 of other starting QBs in the NFL.

This is ridiculous how it's even stayed on the front page. You're not going to get better than 100%. Not if he sits out 1 week, 1 month, the whole season, or the rest of his career. 100% means it's full go.

>>>>> 

If the knee is 100%, it's not going to be getting any better. No matter how much more you rest it. Because you're not rehabbing something that's not injured.

Worrying about reinjuring it? Then we need to never play him again. That's the only way to guarantee that he won't injure it. And even then, it's not a complete guarantee because he could injure it driving his car.

I'm not even going to address you calling Cousins a "3rd string caliber" QB, when he's better than at least 1/4 of other starting QBs in the NFL.

This is ridiculous how it's even stayed on the front page. You're not going to get better than 100%. Not if he sits out 1 week, 1 month, the whole season, or the rest of his career. 100% means it's full go.

NEVER called Cousins a 3rd string caliber QB, but we obviously didnt draft him to be the cornerstone of our franchise. I was talking about dreading going back to the days of taking chances on bum QBs in the draft and signing garbage past their prime (some who never even had a prime) QBs.

And cool, if he's 100% healthy, let him go ball. BUT, if he's 100% healthy, then surely by NO means should RGIII be making his debut with that dam knee brace on. If he's wearing that knee brace the first time he trots back on the field to make his official return to a regular season game, I will be FURIOUS.....

There's only one way this poll could become relevant: ask again in July/August, and only if RG3 practices with the team but just doesn't look quite like he's ready for prime time.

Forward thinking this was. 

>> 

Yeah but one way to ensure he never gets hurt is for him to never play again, so theres that logic, which makes no damn sense. The guy is a football player, they get hurt, they get better most of the time, he knows his value and won't play if not able and 100%. Do people really think Dr. Andrews, Snyder, Shanahan and Bruce Allen are all idiots? 

The sad truth is that Robert probably won't be playing football by the time he turns 30, regardless. Osteoarthritis is eventually going to set in on that knee, whether he spends the next 5 years playing or sitting on his butt. His biggest enemy right now is time and he can't afford to voluntarily forfeit a year of his career, because he'll never get it back.

Furious that he's wearing a knee brace?  Come on now...

It's football.  RG3 will be out there week one against the Iggles, ready to go to war.  Players play. 

Cool, send him out there at 75% to please all the tough guy fans, so he can reaggravate the injured, then he'll be done, and we'll be garbage for another 30 years and everyone. And be the laughing stock of the league for giv

It's football.  RG3 will be out there week one against the Iggles, ready to go to war.  Players play. 

Yes Furious.....if he's 100% healthy at the time of his return, he should not have a knee brace on. If he was a QB playing in an offense that didnt have him running the ball every other dam play, then maybe I wouldnt stress it as much. For us to be successful and have the absolute best chance at winning a Super Bowl, he has to be able to play instinctive and run how he wants/needs to whenever a play breaks down. He was unstoppable.......He shouldnt make his return when he is JUST ok enough to take the field. I guess Im paranoid after last season, because he wants to be on the field so bad, and it's hard to trust him when he says he's healthy. Dude may say he's good to play, and the leg may on be 70% ready. I just dont want us to do that again. 

It's not just about him being able to make 20 yard runs. Its about the sudden stops,the sharp cuts, etc etc.....Dude is going into his 2nd season, this is not a make a break season for the Skins or RGIII. Knee brace needs to be off before he comes back. We are not deep in the season trying to make the playoffs. 

Im sure the fans in Chicago were pissed when Derrick Rose didnt come back last season, but he's going to be back this season, and when the season starts, their fans can breath whenever he's playing, because they know he took a very long time off, and he's not going to question himself or that leg whenever he's on the court. Because he put his career first. He's going to be a beast and one of the best in the league. Thatz the approach I hope RGIII is taking. He's says that, but dude is very good at saying what the people want to hear. Dude is blood & gutz and it's hard to keep him off the field on game day. 

Cool, send him out there at 75% to please all the tough guy fans, so he can reaggravate the injured, then he'll be done, and we'll be garbage for another 30 years and everyone. And be the laughing stock of the league for giv

>Furious that he's wearing a knee brace?  Come on now...

Yes Furious.....if he's 100% healthy at the time of his return, he should not have a knee brace on. If he was a QB playing in an offense that didnt have him running the ball every other dam play, then maybe I wouldnt stress it as much. For us to be successful and have the absolute best chance at winning a Super Bowl, he has to be able to play instinctive and run how he wants/needs to whenever a play breaks down. He was unstoppable.......He shouldnt make his return when he is JUST ok enough to take the field. I guess Im paranoid after last season, because he wants to be on the field so bad, and it's hard to trust him when he says he's healthy. Dude may say he's good to play, and the leg may on be 70% ready. I just dont want us to do that again. 

It's not just about him being able to make 20 yard runs. Its about the sudden stops,the sharp cuts, etc etc.....Dude is going into his 2nd season, this is not a make a break season for the Skins or RGIII. Knee brace needs to be off before he comes back. We are not deep in the season trying to make the playoffs. 

Im sure the fans in Chicago were pissed when Derrick Rose didnt come back last season, but he's going to be back this season, and when the season starts, their fans can breath whenever he's playing, because they know he took a very long time off, and he's not going to question himself or that leg whenever he's on the court. Because he put his career first. He's going to be a beast and one of the best in the league. Thatz the approach I hope RGIII is taking. He's says that, but dude is very good at saying what the people want to hear. Dude is blood & gutz and it's hard to keep him off the field on game day. 

Derrick Rose is a terrible example.

Rose was scared. Everyone knows it.

RGIII is playing week one dude. Practice your breathing exercises now.

Rose is also a terrible example because getting your knee ready for jumping up and down playing basketball is a lot different than football. Basketball is about 10x the pressure on knees simply because of the amount of jumping. Which is why ACL/knee injuries are so much more devastating in basketball than football. 

The sad truth is that Robert probably won't be playing football by the time he turns 30, regardless. Osteoarthritis is eventually going to set in on that knee, whether he spends the next 5 years playing or sitting on his butt. His biggest enemy right now is time and he can't afford to voluntarily forfeit a year of his career, because he'll never get it back.

What is this truth based on? 

First off, he's a lot closer to 100% than he is 75%, so there's that. Secondly, he's already stopping, cutting, etc. Thirdly, players play with knee braces all the time. How many linemen do you see (with no history of knee injury at all) wearing them? He also played his redshirt sophomore year (the year after his first injury) with a knee brace and was able to do everything, why would that change? I understand the skepticism, but there's no need for it at all.

What do you mean everyone knows he was scared??? LMAO...Didnt know you had the capability to tap into Rose's body and tell if his injury was still bothering him....that's a true talent.  Only Rose himself knows what he's capable of doing with that injury.

Nobody's scared of him getting hit by other football players, that's just the game. But what the Skins and RGIII CAN control is RGIII not being thrown to the wolves prematurely. I got use to actually having a QB worth a dam, and I cant go back. Bad enough where going to be running him every other play, now people are cool with him coming back with a knee brace. Im no doctor, but that sounds stupid to me. He's recovering, LET HIM FULLY RECOVER....that's all Im saying. Dont let him make his return with a limp and a knee brace. 

>>Furious that he's wearing a knee brace?  Come on now...

lockquote>

What do you mean everyone knows he was scared??? LMAO...Didnt know you had the capability to tap into Rose's body and tell if his injury was still bothering him....that's a true talent.  Only Rose himself knows what he's capable of doing with that injury.

Nobody's scared of him getting hit by other football players, that's just the game. But what the Skins and RGIII CAN control is RGIII not being thrown to the wolves prematurely. I got use to actually having a QB worth a dam, and I cant go back. Bad enough where going to be running him every other play, now people are cool with him coming back with a knee brace. Im no doctor, but that sounds stupid to me. He's recovering, LET HIM FULLY RECOVER....that's all Im saying. Dont let him make his return with a limp and a knee brace. 

It's irrelevant but yes, he was as scared to let everyone down as he was to actually suit up and play, which caused that whole circus.

RGIII is more strong mentally and plus, he didn't actually tear his ACL like Rose did. Forgot to post that initially 

If we couldn't keep him off the field when he was injured. How do we keep the completely healthy,face of the franchise, and arguably most exciting new players in the league off the field?

WOW, RGIII's "completely healthy" now??? Hell, that's all I needed to know, nothing to talk about.....start him the first preseason game then. Why keep someone completely healthy off the field......got a link confirming this information?  Dont worry, I'll wait.....

If we couldn't keep him off the field when he was injured. How do we keep the completely healthy,face of the franchise, and arguably most exciting new players in the league off the field?

WOW, RGIII's "completely healthy" now??? Hell, that's all I needed to know, nothing to talk about.....start him the first preseason game then. Why keep someone completely healthy off the field......got a link confirming this information?  Dont worry, I'll wait.....

So my question then is...how will you know whether he is or isn't healthy if he plays week 1? They say he is cutting and running really well. He says he is doing well. But at some point you have to trust the doctors, coaches, and RG3 himself because we as fans simply aren't privy to the inner workings of whats going on. You have no way of knowing whether or not he is 100%. None of us do. 

Didn't see anywhere in his post where he said RG3 was "completely healthy" now...did you?

Archived