Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: AJ Smith Expected to Join Redskins front office as advisor (merged)

authentic

"Apparently, the former San Diego general manager is moving East. U-T San Diego is reporting that Smith, fired by the Chargers at the end of the season, is expected to join Washington’s scouting department, where he will work with fellow longtime former AFC West stalwart Mike Shanahan. For what it is worth, I heard similar chatter this morning upon leaving the NFL combine in Indianapolis".

So no worries he's just here to help find more talent!

Really, really good personnel guy.

Bad, BAD general manager, particularly when it comes to player interaction.

But, that's why we have Bruce Allen.

I can deal with this.

Yeah that was my reaction, and it looks like a lot of us, exactly. The guy always struck me as a douchebag towards his players out in SD. Yeah he probably chose the right times to let some guys walk but I thought he never handled the situations with class and always alienated players. But if he's purely a personnel guy and not one of the head guys, I'm cool with it. Never hurts to have another guy with a good track record as a talent evaluator.

As stated before, coaches/GM's always seem to have an edge to bring a couple of "their" guys along with them whenever they change teams so it can't hurt in terms of targeting a guy like Lynch.

Maybe he will advise us to get more scouts as we have one of the smallest scouting departments in the nfl.

i agree. i was actually thinking this when the move was announced. We need more cooks in the kitchen for sure.

---------- Post added February-26th-2013 at 08:19 AM ----------

He had great success in finding talent such as brees, turner, sproles, vincent jackson but as mentioned before he was too cheap to keep them in their prime. Let's hope he was brought in to help find talent not to help with contracts and resignings.

Don't forget Rivers, Gates, Merriman, and Cromartie..

AJ Smith would be a major coup. As has been stated the guy is a prick and rubs players/agents the wrong way. He does however draft with the best of them which I assume would be his role here.

As far as letting Brees leave without compensation, revisionist history anyone? He would have had to franchise Brees a second time in a row after he tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder. Even as a free agent only two teams showed interest in Brees and one of their medical staff's failed him (Miami). He was a huge risk that paid off for NO but franchising him a second time could have crippled that franchise if he a) didn't recover or b)no one traded for him.

"Apparently, the former San Diego general manager is moving East. U-T San Diego is reporting that Smith, fired by the Chargers at the end of the season, is expected to join Washington’s scouting department, where he will work with fellow longtime former AFC West stalwart Mike Shanahan. For what it is worth, I heard similar chatter this morning upon leaving the NFL combine in Indianapolis".

So no worries he's just here to help find more talent!

And he is an outstanding talent evaluator... not so much a gm though.

Some interesting tidbits about AJ:

*During his tenure, the chargers sent 15 different players to the probowl, the Patriots were a close 2nd at 14

*Was assistant director of college scouting with Buffalo, during which time the bills made 3 SB appearances, and was promoted to director of pro personnel before their 4th appearance

*Traded away ALOT of picks during his tenure

*Drafted players such as:

Shawne Merriman, Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Mcneil, Drew Brees, Ladanian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, Wes Welker (signed as a udfa, cut before camp ended) Michael Turner

He seemed to be feast or famine with his drafts, either hitting home runs or failing miserably.

All in all, I'm in favor of him helping out with the scouting

It is just that we want fathers of a boy with the name Kyle to have a job.

hahaha.

Norval says hi there :)

I do wonder how much say he had in firing a 14-2 Marty and hiring born loser Norv. Not saying Marty was the best coach of all time, but I'd take Marty over Norv 100 times out of 100. Interesting factoid, Marty replaced Norv in DC, and Norv replaced Marty in SD. Odd how the world works.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that pretty much everyone can agree on these three things:

1. He's got a pretty awesome eye for talent.

2. He's a pretty big dick

3. You don't want him negotiating contracts.

So, seems like an adviser position would fit him well.

I wonder how Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown and those guys are with this... An opportunity to learn more, or a slap in the face? Personally, I think that over the last 3 years, with one enormous glaring exception of Donovan McNabb, and probably a somewhat smaller exception of Jamal Brown, the player acquisition has been pretty solid. They're getting good contributors from cheaper players who are in their prime.

A season ending injury and suspension to the 2 projected starting safeties not withstanding...

And he is an outstanding talent evaluator... not so much a gm though.

Some interesting tidbits about AJ:

*During his tenure, the chargers sent 15 different players to the probowl, the Patriots were a close 2nd at 14

*Was assistant director of college scouting with Buffalo, during which time the bills made 3 SB appearances, and was promoted to director of pro personnel before their 4th appearance

*Traded away ALOT of picks during his tenure

*Drafted players such as:

Shawne Merriman, Vincent Jackson, Darren Sproles, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Mcneil, Drew Brees, Ladanian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, Wes Welker (signed as a udfa, cut before camp ended) Michael Turner

He seemed to be feast or famine with his drafts, either hitting home runs or failing miserably.

All in all, I'm in favor of him helping out with the scouting

Some other picks to call out.

Kris Dielman UDFA (pro-bowl OG)

Shaun Phillips 4th rd (pro-bowl OLB)

Nick Hardwick 3rd rd (pro-bowl C)

Luis Castillo 1st rd (pro-bowl DT)

Mike Scifres 5th rd (pro-bowl Punter)

The Chargers '04 and '05 drafts might of been the best back-to-back drafts in the league over the last 20 years.

And how he let Brees go with no compensation is just criminal.

I'm not sure what else you think he could've done. Brees destroyed his shoulder in the last game of the '05 season, to the point where a lot of people wondered if he'd ever be the same. He was also a free agent on top of it, and even then, very few teams showed any interest on th open market. The only thing Smith could've done to keep him (which is retarded anyways) would've been to franchise tag a guy with one arm, who was just starting to come into his own, but was by no means a top tier quarterback at the time, while you also have a dude who you just spent a top 5 pick on, making top 5 pick money. Letting him go was a no brainer.

Allen is no good with personnel, but is a public relations star and a cap guru.

AJ Smith has a solid personnel record (at least in the draft), but is a PR nightmare and makes terrible cap choices.

Mike Shanahan has final say on all personnel matters.

AJ Smith won't be conducting any coaching searches, and Norvo the Clown is NEVER coming back to DC.

Seems like an ideal fit to me.

Allen is no good with personnel, but is a public relations star and a cap guru.

AJ Smith has a solid personnel record (at least in the draft), but is a PR nightmare and makes terrible cap choices.

Mike Shanahan has final say on all personnel matters.

AJ Smith won't be conducting any coaching searches, and Norvo the Clown is NEVER coming back to DC.

Seems like an ideal fit to me.

Yes^^^ Exactly.. this is what allows me to sleep well at night with the entire ordeal.

Archived