Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: AJ Smith Expected to Join Redskins front office as advisor (merged)

authentic

i can go with that.. bad employee relations guy.. but great in scouting talent. interesting hire.. didn't know his son was already a scout with the team.

---------- Post added February-25th-2013 at 11:17 PM ----------

I guess in an ideal world he'll return to that form and bring those skills to the table but he certainly was fired for good reason...

as long as he's not negotiating any contracts, i guess i'm fine with the hire..

i can go with that.. bad employee relations guy.. but great in scouting talent. interesting hire.. didn't know his son was already a scout with the team.

---------- Post added February-25th-2013 at 11:17 PM ----------

as long as he's not negotiating any contracts, i guess i'm fine with the hire..

With Bruce running the show, he's doing the contracts

And now that I think about it, he has had access to all the scouting done by the Chargers recently, so this gives us even more info on guys who are FAs as well as college players they've been keeping an eye on.

Oh, and Lynch. :)

And now that I think about it, he has had access to all the scouting done by the Chargers recently, so this gives us even more info on guys who are FAs as well as college players they've been keeping an eye on.

Oh, and Lynch. :)

dude, i was JUST thinking that.. :ols:

:ols:

Same.

Bring your boy in Mr. Smith!!

I live in San Diego, so I am familiar with some of the complaints about him. Lately, he had made some pretty bad personnel moves. Larry English and Antoine Cason are two blown first round picks. He was also terrible with letting players get away without any compensation - Drew Brees and Michael Turner are examples. He isn't in charge, so I am hopeful about the decision.

I live in San Diego, so I am familiar with some of the complaints about him. Lately, he had made some pretty bad personnel moves. Larry English and Antoine Cason are two blown first round picks. He was also terrible with letting players get away without any compensation - Drew Brees and Michael Turner are examples. He isn't in charge, so I am hopeful about the decision.

Actually Cason is coming into his own and would love to be able to sign him.

Smith was the reason the chargers were a perennial contender for the past decade, despite being hampered by one of the cheapest ownership groups in football. That's just how they do business in san Diego, they build through the draft and only pay a vet once in a while. This is a huge boon for our war room. Shanny had a good draft last year but its been the worrying part about this FO for me since he and Allen took over. Scouting and personnel.now should be taken to the level it needs to be to keep.us a contender for a long time.

My first reaction was "Ugh, seriously??".

But now that I think about it, he had a stretch where he was one of the best personnel-minded GMs in the game. This can only help us, IMO.

Exactly, his problem was he notoriously wanted to lowball EVERYONE. And if you didn't accept it he took it personally and started an all-out war with you. As long as he doesn't handle contracts, we'll be fine. Can you imagine that SD team had they kept Sproles/Jackson/Turner? He single-handedly deconstructed the team he built by not extending reasonable contracts to players who produced for him. And how he let Brees go with no compensation is just criminal.

Archived