Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: AJ Smith Expected to Join Redskins front office as advisor (merged)

authentic

Really, really good personnel guy.

Bad, BAD general manager, particularly when it comes to player interaction.

But, that's why we have Bruce Allen.

I can deal with this.

That's exactly how I feel. We don't need to worry, this can only be a positive thing. He's not communicating with agents and players, and that's where he messed things up in SD. He was a great personnel guy.

Besides, if Bruce don't like what Bruce hears, then so long.

This is a major coup in my opinion. Rarely does a team have the opportunity to instantly upgrade its front office without a complete overhaul of the club. My only question is whether his ego will allow him to serve in a secondary role.

Smith is still getting paid by the Spanos family, so he's probably not in a hurry to jump into another high ranking front office position anytime soon. His role is as an advisor, not Asst GM or VP of player personel. He'll probably stay on the west coast and not spend much time at Redskins Park.

My guess is they will ask him to focus on a specific position group they're looking to upgrade and get his evalutation.

Why not? His major problem was not treating the players who deserved to get paid better. He won't be doing that here, so I think this should be great. He clearly has an eye for talent.

He hired Norv.

Not sure I like this move.

Hope he's not advising on much

~Bang

I'm not sure what else you think he could've done. Brees destroyed his shoulder in the last game of the '05 season, to the point where a lot of people wondered if he'd ever be the same. He was also a free agent on top of it, and even then, very few teams showed any interest on th open market. The only thing Smith could've done to keep him (which is retarded anyways) would've been to franchise tag a guy with one arm, who was just starting to come into his own, but was by no means a top tier quarterback at the time, while you also have a dude who you just spent a top 5 pick on, making top 5 pick money. Letting him go was a no brainer.

Should have traded him the year before. Brees comes off a great year and they have a top 5 pick qb in Rivers on the bench. Instead they let Brees ride out his contract and just enter FA.

Should have traded him the year before. Brees comes off a great year and they have a top 5 pick qb in Rivers on the bench. Instead they let Brees ride out his contract and just enter FA.

Fair enough, but... Trading away a Pro Bowl quarterback (who just proved that he could do more than cut it at the NFL level) with one year left on his deal, and plenty of football left in him, after leading his team to their first playoff appearance in years (I think people forget just how god awful the Chargers were, for a long time), for a guy with no experience, who had the potential to do what Brees did, who also has plenty of time to ride the bench? I would not have had the balls to make that trade.

He was a terrible GM.. he let Drew Brees go and kept Rivers.....The Vincent Jackson Fiasco.....Fire Shottenheimer and Hired Norville Eugene Turner...But we all knew that would be his ultimate demise..Ha..ha

He was an arrogant GM and I don't really care for him that much. I'm not sure he brings much of anything to the table.

In Bruce Allen and Shanahan I trust..if they want him..I'll take a wait and see approach I guess,

Wasn't it a couple years ago that the Chargers had the number one offense and defense and STILL didn't make the playoffs? That's on Norv, not AJ. I've always been a fan of his draft picks, he did let some free agents get away (Brees/Sproles/Jackson), but I put that on the owner being stingy, not AJ. If he's given some authority when it comes to scouting FA's and the Draft, I have no issues with this at all, I actually like the move. However, he just needs to know his role, and Bruce (his friend) will keep him in his place

Fair enough, but... Trading away a Pro Bowl quarterback (who just proved that he could do more than cut it at the NFL level) with one year left on his deal, and plenty of football left in him, after leading his team to their first playoff appearance in years (I think people forget just how god awful the Chargers were, for a long time), for a guy with no experience, who had the potential to do what Brees did, who also has plenty of time to ride the bench? I would not have had the balls to make that trade.

Certainly, but I think the risk v reward on that is better. What do you think would have happened had Brees not been injured? Signs a long-term contract with the Chargers and Rivers gets traded? Rivers contract would have made that impossible probably, and they would have gotten pennies on the dollar for an unknown commodity with a huge contract (and this is why it was probably inevitable that Rivers would have started, even if Brees didn't get hurt). Yes, he lucked out that Rivers turned into a pretty good qb himself, but he could have had a couple extra first rounders with it. Considering how well he fleeced the falcons and giants in draft trades, I would think he could have worked some magic with those picks.

This is nothing more than Shanahan and Allen showing that they are among the best in the business. One might think that there might be a too many chefs in the kitchen going on, but I am pretty sure AJ Smith knows that his place in this kitchen is to help identify the right ingredients. He doesn't have to cook anything....

Exactly, his problem was he notoriously wanted to lowball EVERYONE. And if you didn't accept it he took it personally and started an all-out war with you. As long as he doesn't handle contracts, we'll be fine. Can you imagine that SD team had they kept Sproles/Jackson/Turner? He single-handedly deconstructed the team he built by not extending reasonable contracts to players who produced for him. And how he let Brees go with no compensation is just criminal.

In hindsight, yes it is. Brees was a pro bowler, but not quite the QB he is now. Also, he was coming off a major injury and there were certainly questions about his durability.

Not sure whether or not anyone has touched on this, but I wonder if Smith was brought in, with the expectation that Morocco Brown will surely get a GM position somewhere next year, and that Allen/Shanahan will promote Smith once he's gone, and let him be the head guy in charge of the scouting department.

Just a thought.

Can't believe there is even a shred of criticism about this move... very surprising. This move is basically for this outcome:

Scott Campbell: I like this guy.

Morocco Brown: I, too, like this guy.

AJ Smith: I'm not too fond of him because A and B.

Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown: Good points.

Mike Shanahan: Shut up I pwnz all of you, I eat your ch33zeberger. I'm drafting this guy.

This is nothing more than Shanahan and Allen showing that they are among the best in the business. One might think that there might be a too many chefs in the kitchen going on, but I am pretty sure AJ Smith knows that his place in this kitchen is to help identify the right ingredients. He doesn't have to cook anything....

Actually the Redskins are among the thinnest Scouting departments in the league. They need more cooks.

Can't believe there is even a shred of criticism about this move... very surprising. This move is basically for this outcome:

Scott Campbell: I like this guy.

Morocco Brown: I, too, like this guy.

AJ Smith: I'm not too fond of him because A and B.

Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown: Good points.

Mike Shanahan: Shut up I pwnz all of you, I eat your ch33zeberger. I'm drafting this guy.

Epic post is epic.

Archived