Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: AJ Smith Expected to Join Redskins front office as advisor (merged)

authentic

Here in San Diego, we couldn't wait to see this "GM" go.... many reasons why have already been mentioned in the thread. I truly hope this works out for us with the Skins but I really do not see why AJ is needed here. I really don't.

While we still need starters on both sides of the ball, we don't need as many as we did 3 years ago. Sometimes the draft is not only used to find starters, but to find depth. Something we haven't had in a while. Depth is s good thing. Getting capable backups to step in is just as important as finding a starter.

This I can kinda agree with, but I will say that we need talent everywhere and I definitely agree that our depth now is MUCH better than it was under Gibbs. No question. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the Smith hire. It doesn't make sense to me either way.

Lets just say Shanny retires in two years. Many have him going into a GM / Personnel role and his son assuming the coaching responsibilities. I think when Shanahan retires, he won't be head of personnel. Basically, what I'm saying is it is possible, that AJ Smith is being brought in for that role.

Thoughts?

I welcome an experienced personnel man like AJ Smith to the Redskins' front office. However, I want everyone to remember that this is the same executive that had the #1 offense and the #1 defense in the NFL and chose to dismantle them both. The Chargers have never been the same. Now, if he could build that same #1 offense and same #1 defense here in Washington, I am sure Kyle and Mike could handle the remainder of getting us to and winning the Super Bowl. Please do not touch free agency, AJ Smith because you let a great deal of the major talent on the Chargers go. We have waited too long to build talent, have depth and to start winning in DC to take any backwards steps. Tread lightly!

This is why AJ Smith isn't the GM. This also didn't really need its own thread, just saying.

Smith's prowess in finding personnel will only help us in the draft. For signing our own FAs and building the team, Smith won't really be as involved as Shanahan and Allen.

Archived