Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you want the Redskins to draft RG3? Why or why not?

Taylor 36

I wanted us to sign Peyton and draft RG3 personally. And before the cap thing, it made sense.

My issue with RG3 was that I didn't feel comfortable putting him into a pro-style offense right away, and I wanted to him to sit behind Peyton and learn it.

In hindsight, having both might have made more sense,

I heard of about this athletic QB at Baylor. Didn't think much of him. Then I saw him play against TCU in the season opener and was like holy cow kid can ball. Then I saw him light up Kansas State (in a losing effort) and from that point I was a fan and thought we should draft him. Beating Oklahoma the way he did just sealed the deal. It was amazing though I wanted him early on in the season and many "experts" had him changing positions or 2nd/3rd round developmental prospect. They seem to be slow to adjust it was like that with Cam Newton as well

Yes, the moment I saw him play against Oklahoma, I knew this was the dude I wanted. I knew about Luck too, but I just saw the effortless throws, the athleticism and thought he was the perfect fit for Shanahan. When I saw we made the trade, I was doing cartwheels.

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 05:24 AM ----------

at this point, id trade for Luck in a heartbeat.

Such a what have you done for me lately thing to say smh. He'll prove you wrong though. I'll bet on that

I did not want him for exactly what happened this year. I don't think he will ever play a full season. His body isn't built to play the way he plays. None of us know what kind of QB he is without the threat of him running. I'd trade any 3 players on the team for luck.

Let me get this straight...you would trade Garcon, Morris and Trent for luck?

Let me get this straight...you would trade Garcon, Morris and Trent for luck?

He was probably RG III's biggest fan when he was walking up and down fed ex with a NFC East Champions hat on. Then he got hurt trying to win us a playoff game and you know, gotta trade for Luck

I railed up and down, at the time, about how RG3 was a much better prospect than Matt Barkley, though many had wanted us to draft Barkley if they both came out. I'll put that down in the good call column. Basically RG3's accuracy was incredible. He hit his receivers in stride almost every time on deep throws, NO qb does that. In comparison, Barkley wasn't even close to hitting his receivers in stride. Maybe on 1 out of every 10 completions (and that's not counting his high incompletion percentage on deep throws). As a bonus RG3 was ALWAYS protective of the ball in college. That's extremely rare that even as a freshman he was, and it's translated to the pros.

Yes.

-Leadership

-Character

-Accuracy

-Arm Strentgh

-Mobility

-The ability to throw accurate passes from different platforms and on the run

-The perfect BOOTLEG offense quarterback

That about covers it. Character and work ethic were high on my list.

RG3 changed, for the better, the entire Redskins and Redskins fans psyches. We were down and out for many years, and at 3-6. Losers. He said he was going to come back from the 3-6 record more committed than ever, and he did. While any thread has legitimacy, I would rather see a thread about whether people are happy that we drafted RG3. But, this is your thread, so I did want the Redskins to draft RG3, because he had the potential to change the Redskins culture for the better, and he has already.

Some people don't respect this following comment, but I really don't care: I have been a season ticket holder for 35 years. The glory years were great. Most of you don't have any real understanding of that, but at RFK, it was off the charts. At Fedex Field, it had evolved to fans booing the Skins, yelling at the Skins, more opposing fans too often. This year, as the year developed, it was nearly 100% in support of the Skins. No booing Skins, no idiots yelling at the Skins, less opposing fans. Thanks, RG3, I am glad you are with us. we need you.

I wanted them to trade back. I made posted one scenario where I wanted them to trade back and pick up a 1st in the teens and 2 2nds and draft Melvin Ingram, Mike Adams, Janoris Jenkins and Casey Heyward, that would have had mixed results, and that was only one of the zillion scenarios that I through out there so it wasn't like I was strictly calling for that.

I wanted to trade back and get more picks so bad

What do you think now? Worth it or not? I know I was skeptical until September.

Last week I totally thought it was worth it. He blew away my expectations this year. But now, when entertaining my worst fears, I do wonder if we'll look back in a few years and realize we maybe made a mistake. That is, if RG3 continually struggles to stay healthy.

Last week I totally thought it was worth it. He blew away my expectations this year. But now, when entertaining my worst fears, I do wonder if we'll look back in a few years and realize we maybe made a mistake. That is, if RG3 continually struggles to stay healthy.

I understand what you mean. I will never view it as a mistake, though, regardless of if he turns out to be a Greg Oden. I can't fault our FO for taking a chance on a guy that obviously has astounding potential, not after enduring the likes of Rex, Danny Waffle, Gus, Heath, Jeff George, etc. ad nauseum.

At the point I did not. Giving up so much...totally freaked me out. I thought we would have a sick athlete with a cannon at QB but the rest would suck for years to come. What would have wasted the talented QB. And we would still be terrible in the next decade. Just like the one before.

Now, if RGIII can get healty, I have faith that it was the right move. Never had anny idea he could be this big...he is good on the field, but amazing off the field. Never have seen a team bright up that much after a rookie arrived.

I did not, hated the trade.

....and how do you feel about it now?

---------- Post added January-12th-2013 at 10:17 AM ----------

Seriously man, I feel like we are extremely lucky as a fanbase to have landed RGIII. QBs like him and Andrew Luck don't come around very often.

Agreed. This was potentially a once-in-generation draft for the position.

Archived